Armageddon???? (Part Fifty Up)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Psychic_Sandwich wrote:[I'm inclined to believe that something odd was going on with them. The resistance woman was clearly surprised at how quickly them managed to get free, and I can't believe that other modern or near modern soldiers wouldn't have managed to do similar things in the same situation.
A possible explanation for this was suggested a while back. Hell might work on a feudal "spoils" system where each soul goes to the domain of the demon lord whose unit killed it. Since those legions are now mostly fighting on Earth right now the guard crews back in Hell would be severely undermanned. Normally there would be many more guards about, making escape much more difficult.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Ghetto edit: and that's an interesting touch, demons starting to defect figuring they'll actually have a better deal on Earth than in Hell.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Junghalli wrote:A possible explanation for this was suggested a while back. Hell might work on a feudal "spoils" system where each soul goes to the domain of the demon lord whose unit killed it.
That makes sense; from what we've seen of the C3I apparatus of the Demonic forces; oddities like modern combatants suddenly appearing in groups wouldn't be noticed; since they would all be concentrated in specific geographic spots in hell; and hence under the control of a few demon lords; who of course, are going to "cheat" and lie about the souls they've been tracking in.

I mean can you imagine Demon Lord Kzythlthrax, who got exiled to whatever spot of hell is contiguous with the Pacific Island Groups in our world due to screwing up so bad he got assigned a place with virtually no people telling his superiors about the bonaza he's getting in 1941-1945 as thousands of people start rolling in (Tarawa, Guadalcanal, Saipan, Iwo Jima, etc)?

Hell no, he's going to keep that secret, and falsely report his spirtual soul intake to his immediate superior, so that he can build up a powerbase from all the dead US Marines and IJA/IJN people to get out of the backwater he's been put in.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

MKSheppard wrote:
Junghalli wrote:A possible explanation for this was suggested a while back. Hell might work on a feudal "spoils" system where each soul goes to the domain of the demon lord whose unit killed it.
That makes sense; from what we've seen of the C3I apparatus of the Demonic forces; oddities like modern combatants suddenly appearing in groups wouldn't be noticed; since they would all be concentrated in specific geographic spots in hell; and hence under the control of a few demon lords; who of course, are going to "cheat" and lie about the souls they've been tracking in.

I mean can you imagine Demon Lord Kzythlthrax, who got exiled to whatever spot of hell is contiguous with the Pacific Island Groups in our world due to screwing up so bad he got assigned a place with virtually no people telling his superiors about the bonaza he's getting in 1941-1945 as thousands of people start rolling in (Tarawa, Guadalcanal, Saipan, Iwo Jima, etc)?

Hell no, he's going to keep that secret, and falsely report his spirtual soul intake to his immediate superior, so that he can build up a powerbase from all the dead US Marines and IJA/IJN people to get out of the backwater he's been put in.
Easy enough he could aslo use the souls collected in Africa, Europe and Asia as a cover. Also for why he is there, imagine a power struggle AFTER WW1 and he wa on the looosing side thus getting shipped off to the overlorsdship of the Pacific Ocean.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

You also have to remember, those dying in prior wars never heard The Message, and aren't pissed off at Heaven and Hell. Thus, they die, wake up in hell, and think to themselves "This is what I deserve for those I killed in the war". Therefore, little to no resistance from them.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I found the chapter entertaining. May I assume the Thai hooker-gunfighters were wearing aluminum foil hats?

By the way, how are fashion designers making "fashionable" aluminum foil hats? I thought the material was too easily torn, meaning it must be replaced regularly? Aluminum-lined fabrics, maybe?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Sidewinder wrote:I found the chapter entertaining. May I assume the Thai hooker-gunfighters were wearing aluminum foil hats?

By the way, how are fashion designers making "fashionable" aluminum foil hats? I thought the material was too easily torn, meaning it must be replaced regularly? Aluminum-lined fabrics, maybe?
Or fabric-foil laminates used to construct hats. What's the betting absurd lady's hats are back in fashion?
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

I can see them coming up with a bunch of designs that are imitated. If you want the best stuff you have to pay for it, but the average person will at least have some fashionable and functional styles to sculpt their aluminum foil into for the purposes of not looking like a complete idiot, although oddly enough I can see a sudden upswing in "moral outrage" involving people showing off their hair. Like, a generation after the war is over rebellious teenagers are growing their hair long and not wearing any sort of headgear to the displeasure of their parents.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Sidewinder wrote:By the way, how are fashion designers making "fashionable" aluminum foil hats? I thought the material was too easily torn, meaning it must be replaced regularly? Aluminum-lined fabrics, maybe?
A fine aluminium (or copper) wire mesh should work just as well. Those with more money than sense will probably be using silver - the fact that it's more conductive is a marketing bonus.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Stuart, you haven't by any chance read this study on the effectiveness of aluminum foil hats, have you? Got three nifty designs for Aluminum Hat fashions.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

LadyTevar wrote:You also have to remember, those dying in prior wars never heard The Message, and aren't pissed off at Heaven and Hell. Thus, they die, wake up in hell, and think to themselves "This is what I deserve for those I killed in the war". Therefore, little to no resistance from them.
With a lot, certainly. But I just cannot imagine some one like Charles Upham, VC and Bar, well known escaper and former inmate of Colditz castle, being anything less than the stubborn irreverent SOB he was in life.
Also the what happens to people who die in old age? are they as they were when they die or as they want to be or felt like?
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Oh, as I said, there will be plenty of VC and CMOH winners in the escapees, and the likes of Pour le Merite ground combat types. And possibly Otto Skorzeny: A bastard fucking Nazi who deserves to be tortured in Hell, but he probably escaped within thirty seconds of arriving.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Stuart Mackey

Post by Stuart Mackey »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Oh, as I said, there will be plenty of VC and CMOH winners in the escapees, and the likes of Pour le Merite ground combat types. And possibly Otto Skorzeny: A bastard fucking Nazi who deserves to be tortured in Hell, but he probably escaped within thirty seconds of arriving.
We shouldn't get caught up in hero worship of those well known types like Skorzeny or Upham, Murphy etc as there were many with their skills. On a more prosaic nature how many full, trained, armies would their be in hell? if one were to assume that death by any cause is a ticket to hell then NZ alone has at least three divisions worth of soldiers in hell, to say nothing of those of Russia/USSR, Roman legions, Wellingtons Peninsula army, presumably with Wellington himself {he was not a devout man) and so on. These are trained soldiers and should not be written off from mischief calculations.
Trouble is that they have no equipment other than what they can effectively scavenge of the enemy or taken from targets of opportunity.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

--------------
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Stuart Mackey wrote:
We shouldn't get caught up in hero worship of those well known types like Skorzeny or Upham, Murphy etc as there were many with their skills. On a more prosaic nature how many full, trained, armies would their be in hell? if one were to assume that death by any cause is a ticket to hell then NZ alone has at least three divisions worth of soldiers in hell, to say nothing of those of Russia/USSR, Roman legions, Wellingtons Peninsula army, presumably with Wellington himself {he was not a devout man) and so on. These are trained soldiers and should not be written off from mischief calculations.
Trouble is that they have no equipment other than what they can effectively scavenge of the enemy or taken from targets of opportunity.
It's psychological profiling, IMO. Hardened, sociopathic killers are the most likely to simply ignore the fact that they've been damned to eternal perdition and try to escape.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Stuart Mackey

Post by Stuart Mackey »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Stuart Mackey wrote:
It's psychological profiling, IMO. Hardened, sociopathic killers are the most likely to simply ignore the fact that they've been damned to eternal perdition and try to escape.
True, but how many will accept that they are, in fact, still alive and fight back because 'fuck them'?, psychological conditioning plays its part as well. How many civilians from our era will be able to accept a new reality of this nature? will people from a more superstitious, but physically harder, era do better or worse than our better educated but physically softer era (at lest for western peoples)
It will be interesting how it pans out either way.

--------------
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Remember that, regardless of who's in it, the resistance is going to be very difficult to coordinate. There are around ninety billion people in hell right now, and more coming in every second. Because of hell's physical extent and the fact the resistance has to keep its head down, it's difficult enough to recruit new people, let alone keep in contact; the time for messages to pass between cells across the first ring from each other could be as much as a month, and quite possibly more.

I would also expect that there have been a few attempted mass uprisings in the past ten or twelve thousand years. The fact people arrive in groups is going to be no surprise to the baldricks, and I'll bet that for obvious army units the baldricks take the obvious precaution of splitting it up into smaller units.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I liked the last one. And while the Bangkok scenes were slightly silly, they were no sillier than the tinfoil helmets.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

This story just keeps getting better.Keep up the good work.
Considering how many troops hell has lost, is there a possibility of a counter attack any time soon?
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

DarthShady wrote:Considering how many troops hell has lost, is there a possibility of a counter attack any time soon?
No. Hell has lost approximately 0.06% of its fighting force so far, and has committed only 0.9% of its total strength to the field. Humanity is in for a long fight.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

DarthShady wrote:This story just keeps getting better.Keep up the good work.
Considering how many troops hell has lost, is there a possibility of a counter attack any time soon?
They have lost but a tiny, tiny fraction of their forces.
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

I was talking with a friend about what world governments will officially do with any demonic defectors and the paperwork involved, when I came to the sudden realization that probably, horrifically enough, as soon as the bureaucrats discovered that there was a Hell they got right on task to updating their forms and procedures. One can imagine that Customs and Immigration are already prepared. You can also see a Blaszing Saddles esque delay of demonic armies as they are held up by quite insistent customs officers at the various borders.

I also see psychological warfare against the demons with leaflets being dropped on them saying things like "Defection ensures citizenship!" Probably just annoy the higher levels, but if casualty ratios remain high, the lesser guys might start thinking, "You know, maybe these freedom things they're talking about will give me a better deal". Especially since I can see the treacherous nature of their system allowing for this sort of thing psychologically.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Would we have to ammend the constitution to extend rights to nonhuman citizens?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Just discovered & read all of the fic, awesome stuff :D . Commendations to all of the participants and to Stuart for this amusing little pyroclastic lump of hyper-dense charcoal :wink:
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The Vortex Empire wrote:They have lost but a tiny, tiny fraction of their forces.
Why do I get a Palpatine voice in my head saying that?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

MKSheppard wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:They have lost but a tiny, tiny fraction of their forces.
Why do I get a Palpatine voice in my head saying that?
Because you're insane? Just throwing an idea out here.