Armageddon???? (Part Fifty Up)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

NomAnor15 wrote:Just out of curiosity, did you do that on purpose? Or is that actually a Russian name?
Yes, it is a Russian name.
Phillip Hone
Padawan Learner

Post by Phillip Hone »

It's too bad that there isn't any easy way to find a certain group of people in Hell. Having millions upon millions of undead Red Army veterans from World War II, for example, would certainly be useful, even if it would almost be impossible to supply them properly.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

NomAnor15 wrote:Just out of curiosity, did you do that on purpose? Or is that actually a Russian name?
Google is your friend. Look him up, he was quite an interesting character.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Rahvin
Jedi Knight

Post by Rahvin »

Sidewinder wrote:...the realization that his legions never had a chance.
I'm fairly certain he realized that when he saw our weapons in action first-hand.
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

MKSheppard wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:Actually, my idea of Abigor's reaction to watching the History Channel is this.
Nope, my idea is him watching it and going "What is this crap on UFOs, ghost hunting, Al capones secret vault?"
I imagine this went away pretty damn quickly, as the History channel understands the concept of who their demographic is. Hell, when this mess first started, they probably re-aired all of their specials from when The Da Vinci Code aired, and made new stuff as they went along.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Singular Quartet wrote:I imagine this went away pretty damn quickly, as the History channel understands the concept of who their demographic is. Hell, when this mess first started, they probably re-aired all of their specials from when The Da Vinci Code aired, and made new stuff as they went along.
They still have to fill in dead space, you realize? And it does take time to do a documentary to their standards.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Darth Smiley
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Smiley »

MKSheppard wrote:
Singular Quartet wrote:I imagine this went away pretty damn quickly, as the History channel understands the concept of who their demographic is. Hell, when this mess first started, they probably re-aired all of their specials from when The Da Vinci Code aired, and made new stuff as they went along.
They still have to fill in dead space, you realize? And it does take time to do a documentary to their standards.
They have standards?
The enemy's gate is down - Ender Wiggin
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Heh the next season of Survivor Hell.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Darth Smiley wrote:They have standards?
Yup; it has to at least be done to the usual production standards; meaning it don't look like ass on TV.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

MKSheppard wrote:
Darth Smiley wrote:They have standards?
Yup; it has to at least be done to the usual production standards; meaning it don't look like ass on TV.
Come now Shep, you can't tell me you wouldn't want to hear The Gunny wax poetic on the latest anti Baldrick firepower.

"R. Lee Ermey, live from hell with the USO! This is a special LIVE edition of Mail Call!" :twisted:
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Col. Crackpot wrote:"R. Lee Ermey, live from hell with the USO! This is a special LIVE edition of Mail Call!" :twisted:
That only fills about an hour or three's worth of timeslots out of the 168 in a week. :D

Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

The delicious chapter! I must read it!
Stuart wrote:“Satan didn’t kill him, we did. Or rather, the people we have fighting in the hell-pit did. Apparently he led some of his army against our guerillas, walked into a trap and they got him. Asmodeus is dead all right. Thoroughly blown up”

Abigor was awed. “You have done the unthinkable. Even in the Celestial War, no Grand Duke was ever killed. Not even Yahweh achieved such a thing.”
Patraeus grinned like the predator. "Yeah. We rock! We rock that hard!"
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Mongoose wrote:It's too bad that there isn't any easy way to find a certain group of people in Hell. Having millions upon millions of undead Red Army veterans from World War II, for example, would certainly be useful, even if it would almost be impossible to supply them properly.
Wasn't that the problem they had to begin with? :P
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Well, I doubt the Red Army cannon fodder would be very useful, but the ones that participated in the great sieges, well, that's a different story.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Hawkwings wrote:Well, I doubt the Red Army cannon fodder would be very useful, but the ones that participated in the great sieges, well, that's a different story.
What foolishness is this?

Any set of human hands that can operate a rifle is a set worth getting your hands on in the Hell Liberation Front (Or whatever name it is now :D).

What could possibly make you think that the "cannon fodder" of the Red Army would be tremendously less valuable in anti-Baldrick resistance in Hell, as opposed to Red Army soldiers who fought in Kiev, Stalingrad, Odessa, Leningrad, and the other cities that were put under siege?

Now, I could understand if you said that there would be a difference between a conscript who had a rifle thrown in his hands and told to kill Germans, who never even got to fire his weapon in anger before a machinegun hacked him down; and someone who survived months of city fighting before being killed.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
JBG
Padawan Learner

Post by JBG »

"“Its not Asmodeus. He’s dead.”

“What?” Abigor was stunned. “Asmodeus dead? For all his mania, Satan has never dared kill a Grand Duke before. He wouldn’t even kill me, he preferred to send me where you could do this.”

“Satan didn’t kill him, we did. Or rather, the people we have fighting in the hell-pit did. Apparently he led some of his army against our guerillas, walked into a trap and they got him. Asmodeus is dead all right. Thoroughly blown up” "

If he has been watching the History Channel, or even NatGeo or Discovery, all of which air military docos down under, he's missed, for instance, a doco on the sinking of Yamato. If he could comprehend the size etc of Yamato and the fact that the weapons systems, though the forerunners of much today, used to sink Yamato are relatively simple by today's standards, then he should have not been quite so surprised by Asmodeous' death, unless he is wondering how the "hell" humans were anywhere near Asmodeous.

It doesn't look like an OOB is being considered, just delicious hints - First Shock Army, heavy in armour, artillery and AA! That'll look good if this is made into a movie. Few nations can potentially field corps or army level armoured forces so there would be a lot of mixed corps. That could be potentially interesting albeit probably trivial to the main storyline. eg the exploits of the happy chaps in "I" Corps - Iranian, Isreali, Italian and Indian forces!! Parts and comms would be a nightmare!

Jonathan
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

JBG wrote:snip

It doesn't look like an OOB is being considered, just delicious hints - First Shock Army, heavy in armour, artillery and AA! That'll look good if this is made into a movie. Few nations can potentially field corps or army level armoured forces so there would be a lot of mixed corps. That could be potentially interesting albeit probably trivial to the main storyline. eg the exploits of the happy chaps in "I" Corps - Iranian, Isreali, Italian and Indian forces!! Parts and comms would be a nightmare!

Jonathan
Only OOB that matters is ANZAC (theives on wheels).
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

JBG wrote:If he has been watching the History Channel, or even NatGeo or Discovery, all of which air military docos down under, he's missed, for instance, a doco on the sinking of Yamato. If he could comprehend the size etc of Yamato and the fact that the weapons systems, though the forerunners of much today, used to sink Yamato are relatively simple by today's standards, then he should have not been quite so surprised by Asmodeous' death, unless he is wondering how the "hell" humans were anywhere near Asmodeous.
This is something we run into over and over again. It's one thing to tell people what a weapon is like and give all its performance statistics, it's quite another when people actually see what a weapon can do. For example, people these days dismiss an aircraft dropping a 250 pound bomb as being too small to be worthy of consideration yet when they actually see a 250 pound bomb exploding they change their mind very fast. Likewise with tanks, its one thing to say a bolt can pierce x mms or armor, its another to hear the shriek as the bolt hits armor and watch the tank exploding

Asmodeus has another problem though. Despite being on the receiving end of it, he hasn't quite grasped how humans think of war yet. In Hell, war is almost a game, a chess match played with living pieces where the objective is to establish a winning position. Its the ultimate in limited conflicts for limited objectives. Once one side is at a real disadvantage they concede the game. A "war" in hell is mostly manoeuver and it could easily end without anybody getting seriously hurt. The idea that the enemy "king" might be shattered with a sledgehammer rather than put into check doesn't really register. Until, suddenly, he sees its been done, a Grand Duke he's known for millenia has been wiped out with almost casual ease. It's shocking on a level he can't easily explain

(A tale from the crypt for you. I was at the Dubai Arms Exhibition in '94 when the Russians were trying to sell their tanks. One of the nice things about Dubai is that there is a range day when the exhibitors take their tanks and so on to a firing range and have at some targets. In this case, the targets were old armored vehicles, some T-34s, some Centurions, some M-47s. The Russians did a demonstration firing their 125mm and it was quite impressive, the audience could hear the sound of the bolt hitting armor, watch the target lurch with the impact. Then the Brits opened up on their targets with a Challenger. Much the same thing except the hits were much more impressive, the targets didn't just lurch, they exploded into flames and burned fiercely with a pyre of black smoke reaching skywards. Reason was, the previous night the sales team had gone out and filled their targets with plastic bottles containing a mixture of diesel fuel and gasoline. That's salesmanship.)
I'll fill in the OOB as we go along. At the moment, the force in Hell is the Russian Shock Army with an Israeli and a European armored division in support. There's more stuff flowing in all the time. The US Corps is outside at the moment regrouping after the first big battle. You're right about the logistics; that would be a big factor in deciding who gets corped up with who. The Europeans can probably corps up quite well since there's a lot of equipment commonality due to NATO etc

Jonathan[/quote]
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Asmodeus has another problem though. Despite being on the receiving end of it, he hasn't quite grasped how humans think of war yet. In Hell, war is almost a game, a chess match played with living pieces where the objective is to establish a winning position. Its the ultimate in limited conflicts for limited objectives. Once one side is at a real disadvantage they concede the game. A "war" in hell is mostly manoeuver and it could easily end without anybody getting seriously hurt. The idea that the enemy "king" might be shattered with a sledgehammer rather than put into check doesn't really register. Until, suddenly, he sees its been done, a Grand Duke he's known for millenia has been wiped out with almost casual ease. It's shocking on a level he can't easily explain
You mean Abigor :wink:

An interesting thing would be Armageddon in an annoted format, with explanations(lifted from the thread) coming alongside plot points.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

ray245 wrote: True, but I'm talking about the amount of chinese in singapore following abrahamic religion. They still a minority despite the fact that the chrisitians are the most active religious group singapore.
And you're seriously derailing the discussion. The discussion was why EASTERN peoples are less receptive to Yahweh message in universe, The answer is simple. They AREN"T. Korea and Phillipines are a perfectly good example of how Christian/Catholic preaching has penetrated the population.
Similarly, the various religion China had showed that it is not immune to the religious meme. It just took on different forms due to the fact that unlike the West, paganism in the old format wasn't exterminated. In universe, we could just say that Yahweh won some(Korea, Malaysia, Phillipines, Indonesia) and lost out in Burma and China against Satan.
And given how some singaporeans are starting to view the west as a perfect area on earth...they are following christianity mostly because the west gives them a feeling that it is more liberal in every areas, and because the west is more developed than asia in the modern era.
You simplified and taken a social issue out of context. Christianity is not popular because its "liberal". You may argue that its message of "love" has won converts over from existing religion, but its popularity is much more complicated than just West Worship.
I was also thinking how many people in this fanfic are HAPPY there is a afterlife? Nevermind if it is only limted to hell for now ( the 'liberation of hell' is starting anyway, and in this verse, we can literally make hell a better place ).
Somehow, I doubt that has penetrated yet.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Darth Wong wrote: Are you trying to miss the point? No one is saying that Chinese people are completely immune to religion. However, they is some published research showing that certain ethnicities are less susceptible to religious "out of body experiences".
China has just as rich a religious history and religious indoctrination as the West. Therefore, the original statement, that China or Eastern peoples lack a religious mythology of demons and God is already FALSE.

Since my reply was entirely along those lines, why on earth do I have to address the issue of religious hallucinations? Whether Chinese peoples are less vulnerable to episodes of religious hallucinations have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that yes, they do have a mythology of ghosts, demons and gods. Its just that they developed differently than from the West due to the fact that paganism wasn't exterminated and their religious mythology developed differently. We already knew that religion had an effect on Chinese mythology. The advent of Taoism integrated animinism and shamanism into its clique. Buddhism altered Chinese mythology of hell.

Its not as if mass religious hysteria and legends haven't built up along those lines. The legend of Beijing states that the city was founded along the lines of Nezha, who appeared in spirit form to the two Chinese officials assigned to its construction.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
JN1
Padawan Learner

Post by JN1 »

Stu, has the balance of 1st (UK) Armoured Division set off for Iraq yet? I had intended writing a scene depicting it and the German 7th Panzer being loaded aboard ships at Bremerhaven, but I think that the story may have progressed past that point.
The Allied Rapid Reaction Corps could provide an H.Q for European units.

Good work again.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

I recall Asmodeus being killed though by over 1000 pounds of Semtex followed by multiple Raufoss or SLAP .50 BMG rounds to the head, though, nothing to do with those used against the Yamato.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
gtg947h
Youngling

Post by gtg947h »

Edward Yee wrote:I recall Asmodeus being killed though by over 1000 pounds of Semtex followed by multiple Raufoss or SLAP .50 BMG rounds to the head, though, nothing to do with those used against the Yamato.
I think it's more the idea of "look at this gigantic steel boat. We destroyed it two generations or so ago with what is now considered somewhat dated technology. And we have much better stuff these days."

Basically, what we killed Asmodeus with is a firecracker compared to what we could do, even back then. (ok, I exaggerate a bit, but still...)
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stuart wrote:You're right about the logistics; that would be a big factor in deciding who gets corped up with who. The Europeans can probably corps up quite well since there's a lot of equipment commonality due to NATO etc
So will it prove feasible to actually lay railroad tracks and pipelines through the hellmouth? Or too much reality warping for that to work? I’d figure with a pipeline at worst you could always just pour the fuel through, and then have something catching it on the other side. Messy, but JP-8 shouldn’t too dangerous, and it would be way more efficient then using nothing but trucks.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956