Good fanfics from other places

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Good fanfics from other places

Post by Prozac the Robert »

I had a go at this a while ago (Fanfiction.net: the good bits), and I thought it fairly successful. Enough so that I've decided to risk recreating it. It got to 5 pages last time. More importantly (from my point of view), I enjoyed reading some of the stories.

To repeat: "An idea, if you will. Simply post the addresses and a small summary of good bits of fanfiction that you find on other sites.

If, like me, you have a lot of them in your favourites, just post a couple of good ones from time to time. No one can be bothered with a massive unsorted list of fanfiction (which is almost what fanfiction.net is), but if a few get posted every so often then I at least might check them out."

If you missed it last time, take a look. there's a fair chance someone might have posted something you'll like.

My first pick of this event, is Nymphadora Tonks and the Liquor of Jacmel
It's never plain sailing for a newly-qualified Auror, and especially not for Nymphadora Tonks. Her Metamorphmagus talents are a big career advantage. Her dark wizard relatives certainly aren't. Being thrown in at the deep end on her first case doesn't make things any easier, either. So when Tonks puts her shape-shifting skills to good use investigating the trade in a highly dangerous potion, while simultaneously trying to deal with her family's very 'Black' past history, things quickly get complicated ... [Set during the first half of GoF, plot crosses paths with the books from time to time but mostly runs parallel.]

I don't normally bother with the escapades of minor characters, and tend to go in for the blatantly AU, but I really do like this one. It's long and clever and true to the feel of the HP universe. And it's complete, which is nice. I just read the whole thing this week.

And a one shot that I really like:

Rat in the Corner (HP, Peter gen), PG-13
Peter must choose between himself and his friends.

I won't say much about it, because it's quite short and I don't want to give much away. What I will say though, is that it's damn good.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
GeneralTacticus
Jedi Knight

Post by GeneralTacticus »

KotOR fics:

Shattered Knight, by Tim Radley - set after the events of KotOR 1. Quite possibly the best fic I have ever read, in any fandom. Still incomplete, unfortunately.

Prisoner 24601 has written several good fics.

Helena L has a number of short KotOR fics - mostly parodies and humorous fics, but with a couple of serious ones as well.

Prodigal - an extensively AU version of the events of KotOR I. Unfortunately, it's not finished, and probably never will be, but it's excellent as far as it goes.

BtVS:

A Report to the Ministry - a crossover of sorts with Harry Potter. Professor McGonagall's analysis of the situation in Sunnydale, midway through Season 4.

Blair Provence - "During the spring of senior year, a Cordette finds out more than she bargained for about her friend Cordelia and the weirdness of Sunnydale High."

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in Mazatlan - Jonathan's thoughts on his situation post-Season 6.

Shadow of the Apocalypse - Season One's finale, as told from the perspective of Jenny Calendar.

The Weary World Rejoicing - post-Season 5 AU, in which Buffy failed to stop Glory.
"The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

"This was evil manifest."

- Terry "Not a fantasy author, honest" Goodkind, bringing unintentional comedy to a bookshop near you since 1994.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Single best story I've read to date (and not sure if it was posted the first time aorund): Far Beyond Normal. It won the best of the year awards over at TTH and for good reason, check it out.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Hmm... well, then, I'll have to post some stuff I've found. Sadly haven't held on to all of it, but what I do have is this:

Sailor Nothing: A Magical Girl story done dark and evil, cause that's the way monsters are.

John Dies at the End and it's sequel John and Dave and the Temple of X'al'naa''thuthuthu: Described, quite simply, as "...like being run over by a truck made of horror, hauling two tons of stupid..." It is a hilariously awesome and scary book, that fucks with your head just for the fun of it.

Oh, and Children of an Elder God. It just needs to be mentioned again. A merging of Evangelion and H.P. Lovecraft, exploring humanity at it's brightest and darkest.
The_Last_Rebel
Padawan Learner

Post by The_Last_Rebel »

Shattered Glass is a fairly decent ROTS AU where Padme decided not to go to Mustafar. A bit angsty but the characters are all well written, and I like how Padme isn't some helpless damsel in distress. She's in a precarious position: stay with Vader(without the suit, mind you, with UNLIMITED POWAH!) and try to turn him back, or try to escape.
"A woman spanking her child is not as great a threat to aviation as members of Al Qaeda with box cutters," says one expert.-Understatement of the century.
"You can't fix stupid"-Ron White
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Since I haven't been reading many fanfics lately, I only have a few new additions.

April 10, 1997 - A BtVS/Angel story, crossed with Daria. Faith suffers from Split Personality Disorder she's the most recent personality (with Daria being the older one). Something happened on April 10, 1997 to cause Daria to be sublimated. Intelligently done and a unique concept. Sequel is in the works.

Commentary - Marvel's Civil War crossover gets commentary...from the Daily Show, with a special appearance by Deadpool (all of this author's stories are worth at least a browse).

Godzilla vs. Cthulhu - Because it's actually been published too.

Predator vs. Slayer - Another "Why hasn't Darkhorse Comics Written this already" moment. Some minor innacuracies on Predator culture exist, but it's still entertaining and well done.

Strange Days Multiple short crossovers between series you wouldn't normally see mixed--and you're not usually told which ones until later.

I'm Done - Lorn's time after the finale with Angel. Crossover with W.I.T.C.H. (and it didn't burn out my eyes reading it).
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Post by Cosmic Average »

I hope this isn't 'necroing'. It's only been a few weeks since the last and it's still on the front page, so..

I have this great fanfic to contribute:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/406348/1/

In the story, Ranma and other animes and mangas are combined with the history and powers of several Marvel comic characters, basically making a shared universe. Like, instead of Steve Rogers getting injected with the super-soldier serum, Ranma is the one to receive it and becomes Captain Japan. Or Akane finds a walking stick in a Norse cave instead of Donald Blake. Or Speed Racer and random bank robbers...

In the author's own words:

It's a fusion of Ranma 12 and Marvel's Avengers. Chapter 1 lays the groundwork for what's to come as it deals with several of the heroes origins. (Chapter 15 is an information guide for those who want to catch up fast)
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Hey, thanks Cosmic Average. It's good to see this continue.

I'll put forward this Harry Potter one shot, in which the muggle government is vary much aware of the magical world.

More Things in Heaven and Earth
Summary: Three hundred years. Three Muggle Prime Ministers. The same difficult decision.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Sean Mulligan
Padawan Learner

Post by Sean Mulligan »

This is a great fic that shows the back story of Galbatorix the villain from the Eragon books which presents him as a hero. There are other fics in the series. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2914834/1/
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Okay, for those of you who know of Lord Ironwolf on Fanfiction.net, he has made another extraordinarily bemusing Warhammmer 40k story, this one titled Berserker Hell and let's just say that what he has managed to find the perfect hell for a Khorne Berserker in another, much more well known piece of British literature. The authour is incredible and I highly recommend his other works, as he knows just how to tweak the Grim Darkness of the Future(TM) to make it look completely hilarious.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists