Need some details for fanfic.

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Need some details for fanfic.

Post by 2000AD »

The basic premise is that a Warhammer 40,000 ship carrying some space marine and imperial guard is transported to the ST (time period /alternatedimension/etc) by a (wormhole/ astronomical anomaly/ warp drive malfunction/ etc).

what i need to know is:

1) Any ideas on how fast 40K warp drive is? I've heard times ranging from a few weeks to cross the galaxy to years. It can't be too slow because there are human worlds practically all over the galaxy (the milkyway).

2) Through Battle Fleet Gothic i know that imp. ships carry weapon batteries, lances (high power energy weapons), torpedoes and fighter craft. BUT i don't know what type of weapons are in the weapons batteries. I assume they are projectile based, but i wonder if anyone can shed any light on them?

3) Do Borg cubes carry shields that deflect projectiles or are they unable to adapt to them like their drones?

4) Which character from Voyager so you think most deserves an eternity of torment? ( not including Harry Kim, Chakotay, 7 of 9 or some random ensign)

If anyone can answer any of these then i would be grateful.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Vapthorne
Youngling

Post by Vapthorne »

I'm not much of a Warhammer expert, but I could take a shot of the lasr two.

3) As far as I know, the Borg cannot adapt. In ST:FC, Torps (Photon and Quantum) struck their hull.

4) I say Janeway (for her tactical incompetence) is the most deserving. Nelix is second on account that he's annoying.
"Your superior intelligect is no match for our primitive weapons!" -Kaang

"So tiny, you can't tell it's a deus ex machina!" -The Particles of Star Trek
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Janeway And Wesly Crusher

Call it an Act of Q for Wesly :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Hey, it would be nice to see somethin' of your fic.
Supermod
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I haven't started writing it yet. I just need clarification on these few points. I'll give it to the end of my holiday (start tommorow lasts for 2 weeks) and then if i haven't got clarification i'll just write it like i think it would go. If people like it then i may write a series where the ship goes to many different sci-fi galaxies/time periods/etc.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Perhaps this it what you've been looking for:

http://www.altsain.clara.net/bfg.htm
Supermod
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

God Starfleet is so screwed. Again.
Supermod
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

The parts of the game I have are ground only but I own a couple of the books so here's what I remember.

WH40K warp traval isn't the same as ST warp. All of space is refered to as the 'Warp' due to a psyhic energy feild that permeates the universe. FTL can be achieved by tech alone but its slow and energy consuming.

Long range traval is preformed by a person called a 'Psyker' who harmessess the field to drive the ship to its detination. The stronger the 'psyker' (or lot's of them working together) the faster the trip. The longest trip (distance wise) was from Mascragge to a planet in Ork space 45k light years away it took them a week with 100 of the best 'space psykers' they had to move the fleet. Strangly WH40k ships the larger a vessel is the faster it goes in FTL (more psykers)

They have a dedicated fighter with both laser and 'bolter' guns, and a 3 man bomber with variable payload.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

4) Which character from Voyager so you think most deserves an eternity of torment? ( not including Harry Kim, Chakotay, 7 of 9 or some random ensign)
Take Wesley, he deserves it more than anyone else.
Oh and btw what kind of ship are you gonna send Retribution class would be nice.
Supermod
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Yeah and the worst part is thats only a cruiser or battlecruiser in the game ...they have bigger nastier ships and the warp is something else entirely and they use humans called navigators to pilot it...they also need a beacon for long distance travel
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

IIRC the Retribution class is a battleship. And you can also navigate without Astronomicans, it's only more difficult.
Supermod
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Aye and the weaponry on that thing is quite nasty

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: Need some details for fanfic.

Post by Eleas »

Three words on ST's nightmare: Abaddon. The. Despoiler.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Err... isn't AtD of the Chaos troops?
And 2000AD is gonna send an imperial ship, so....
Supermod
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Mr. BFG is here.

That's a Lunar class cruiser, the most common imperial Capship.

Warp Travel is used by almost all of the 40K races. Except the eldar and the Necrons. It can take anything from centuries to negative centuries (i.e. arrive before leaving) to transit the galaxy though it normally takes about 6 months. However as there are no chaos entities in ST, The warp drive should function at optimal capacity. and arrive withing a few weeks of leaving. The loss of the astronomicon should not be a problem, Imagine it as a lighthouse. In the night of the chaos infested hell that is 40K It is essential. However It would be the equivelent of broad day in ST and they would not really need it.

Imperial weapons batteries are a mix of micellentious stuff inculuding but not limited to Railguns, Plasma projectors, Laser cannons (think turbolaser here) missile launchers, Fusion beamers and graviton pulasars (BFG rulebook Page 20)

Make the space marines Raven Guard, you know you want to.

Lameway should make the mistake of saying "What emperor of humanity?" to an Inquisitor.

Should you realy want overkill make it an Exterminator Refit-ship.

B'lanna torres should also have an eternity of torment.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

That's a Lunar class cruiser, the most common imperial Capship.
Just gotta love the pic, don't you think?
Lameway should make the mistake of saying "What emperor of humanity?" to an Inquisitor.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
B'lanna torres should also have an eternity of torment.
Agreed, but Wesley should get more!
Supermod
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Cpt_Frank wrote:Err... isn't AtD of the Chaos troops?
And 2000AD is gonna send an imperial ship, so....
No, he's THE Chaos trooper. :)

I know he falls outside the scope of the question, but wouldn't it be a cool scenario? Mwa ha ha...

Or worse yet, Warmaster Horus...
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

I know he falls outside the scope of the question, but wouldn't it be a cool scenario? Mwa ha ha...
Hey, write it and I'll read it.
same as above.
Supermod
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Cpt_Frank wrote:
Hey, write it and I'll read it.
Perhaps. Many fanfics on line, though. :-)
same as above.
He he he...
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

OK. Thanks for all the responses, especially Necron Lord for his help, although the Raven Guard are right out.

My holiday gave me a bit of thinking time and i came up with the following possible scenarios, usng 40K vs ST as the general idea, pick the best one and i'll (try) to write a fanfic based on it:

1) Some random Imperial Guard and/or Space Marine ship(s) experience a (Technobabble/ Space Phenomenom/ Freaky Warp sh*t) and are transported to the ST Time Period/ Alternate universe.

2) Modified BloodQuest (from Warhammer Monthly) : Just as they enter the Eye of Terror some weird freaky warp sh*t happens and they're dumped in the ST TP/AU

3) Voyager uses a new type of drive to try and get home (40K Warp drive) However they get stuck in the warp where the Chaos Gods awake and decide to play a game. Can Voyager escape before the crew are all the Dark God's playthings. (NOTE: This may end with not one but ALL of Voyagers cast being cast into eternal torment.)

4) A Rogue Trader discovers a wormhole to the ST TP/AU. The Inquisition soon clamp down on this and send a team of Inquisitors through to spread the "Emperor's Holy Light". (This will probably be the hardest for me to write so chances are i wont do it even if a helluva a lot of people ask)

5) Same as above but with the Tau trying to spread "The Greater Good". This one would need some work on the reason for the fight starting.

6) Genestealer uprising on Fed world. Also could lead to Space Hulk but on Fed ships. :)

Thats the list. Although i am a Chaos player mainly i don't think it would be fair to release the Night Lords or the World Eaters on them.
Hammerman! Hammer!
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

I'm for 1, the wormhole-universe-linking.
It's more or less standard, but I haven't seen it being done with WH 40K
so I thought it's gonna be fun.
Next up is 2, also nice.
Supermod
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

I'll go with #1 as I know very little about WH40k.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Post #114 @ Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:44 pm

"I've had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had
And a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad"

-Johnny Cash, "Wanted Man"

UPF: CARNIVAL OF RETARDS
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Yep WH40K is nowhere near as popular as SW or ST or even B5, so 1 should also be a good introduction into the world of 40k for all those who don't know about it.
Supermod
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

That cannot be a Lunar on the box cover. The illo has dorsal Lance batteries and, I believe, 2 sets of weapon banks ahead of the lance batteries. That makes it a Battleship, most likly the Retribution, since the Emperor has 2 sets of flight becks
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

No, the prow design is typical for imerial cruisers, the Retribution's prow looks different.
And the ship only has two sections were you can mount weapons however all battleships have three, while lighter ships than cruisers have only 1.
(Or 1 1/2 in case of the Dauntless).
And the layout, launchers and lances mounted in the secion behind them, that's most definetly a Lunar class.
Supermod