Scars of Mustafar (COMPLETED 1/14/09)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chapter 16: Vader Incarnate

Perched silently near a window, shrouded in a dark cloak to hide her infamous appearance, Asajj Ventress looked out into the night sky, storm clouds brewing beyond the horizon. Aurra Sing sat inside intently scouring the holonet, trying to get herself up to date on current events.

“I must say, although I'm disappointed in the Confederacy, this Grievous sounds like my kind of killer. He really cut a swath through the Jedi, I still can’t believe he was cut down by a weakling like Kenobi.”

Asajj spat. “Grievous was little more than a droid himself, albeit supremely fortunate. If his creation hadn’t cost so much money he would have been discarded quicker than I was. As for Kenobi…” She huffed. “Let’s just say that I owe him a thorough beating.”

“You won’t get the chance,” Sing quipped, her eyes still glued to the holonet. "The report was just declassified today, you might find it interesting to know that Skywalker killed Kenobi.”

“What?!” Asajj replied in absolute shock.

“Yeah, the Empire announced today that Anakin Skywalker traveled to the CIS stronghold on Mustafar and killed the entire Separatist Council. According to this, Kenobi was there to protect them.”

Asajj was thoroughly stumped. It didn’t make any sense at all. Skywalker turning against the Jedi she could believe, but turning against Obi Wan Kenobi? Even more mysterious was the nonsense that Kenobi was there to protect the Separatist council, Kenobi loathed the Separatists and many high-ranking members of the CIS, including herself, had personal grudges against Kenobi. Something stank of a cover up.

“I swear I will get to the bottom of this Lord Sidious, after I kill Skywalker and whoever this Darth Vader is…”

Still, perhaps it was for the best, she thought, her anger at being denied revenge fueled her hatred and made her more powerful. No amount of added power though could have prepared her for what she felt next. It was as if a great wave of dark side energy was rushing towards her, an ominous shadow covering her perception. Aurra Sing had finally stopped typing away at the computer terminal indicating that she felt it as well.

“This must be Vader…” Ventress said under her breath.

Anakin’s speeder came to a full stop outside of the inn. He looked over to confirm the address was the same as the one Sidious had given him. It was a match. Pulling his cloak over his head he walked into the lobby and past the front desk before taking the turbolift upwards. In only a few moments he would be face to face with his quarry, and he knew there would be no orderly solution.

His mouth curled at the corners into a feral smile, and his eyes flashed a sinister yellow. This would be his first actual duel against skilled opponents since Mustafar, and he was looking forward to it. What little training he had accumulated under Sidious had brought him great power, and he knew that this was only the beginning.

After only a few brief seconds he emerged from the turbolift, and made his way down the hallway, ready to bring justice to those who deserved it. Confident in his mastery of the Dark Side, he knocked on the door, poised to kill.

Little did he realize though that another battle raged on, one that was being fought inside of his heart. As he embraced the angry and vengeful spirit of Darth Vader, the man that was once Anakin Skywalker struggled to maintain his control, Vader fed off of the dark emotions that had taken root it Anakin’s mind. He had been pushed to the edge of oblivion and he struggled to hold on. Even as he edged closer towards falling to the Dark Side completely, there was still a light that kept the light inside of him from fading.

As long as he had Padme, he could never cease to be Anakin Skywalker. No matter how hard he tried.

Quinlan had been gone for nearly an hour and Shryne had begun to worry, although the possibility existed that Quinlan was just being extra cautious. Still, he kept his trust in his companion. Quinlan had nearly ruined his reputation during the War, but in their brief time together he had been nothing less than an exemplary Jedi.

Finally, he received a coded message through his communicator that indicated the “all clear” signal. It was now safe for the Jedi to head towards Shadday’s transport. They had stepped no more than ten meters outside of the compound though when a new signal came through, the signal that it was unsafe.

“What do you think happened?” Bultar Swan asked as the group began speculating.

They got their answer soon enough, as they looked into the sky through some of the swampy overgrowth a huge explosion shot up over the New Coronet skyline. It had the unmistakable sound and shape of a thermal detonator blast.

“I think he’s over there.” Shryne said, his deadpan humor lost in the tension of the moment.

It didn’t take any discussion or convincing before the group of Jedi took off at full speed, leaping and sprinting with the aid of the Force.

“Kark! I can’t believe I let a bunch of mercs get the drop on me!”

Quinlan had just set foot in the spaceport area when he had given the all clear, after meticulously scouting the entire route between the swamp and the spaceport he had prematurely told everyone it was all right. But his nonchalant approach to the Inferno’s docking bay had given him away. Apparently word had spread that Vilmarh Grahk was friendly to a few Jedi and he must have been tracked to New Coronet.

Before he could reach the Inferno, a trio of Rodians had jumped out from their hiding places and began firing what appeared to be flechette rounds coupled with fragmentation grenades. Only a last second warning from the Force gave Quinlan enough time to leap high into the air and use the Force to partially deflect shards of debris and razorblades away from him.

He ran out of the spaceport, hoping to find a dark corner to hide in somewhere until he could sneak back into the spaceport. But the Rodians weren’t the only ones chasing him. Every street corner he turned into there was another hunter, or group of hunters, waiting for him with weapons blazing. One of the more dimwitted bounty hunters, a particularly mean looking Shistavanen, had thrown a thermal detonator after narrowly missing with poison tipped dart fired from his gauntlet.

That tantrum resulted in the incineration of about four city blocks and about a dozen of Quinlan’s pursuers. But it also had the effect of drawing more hunters into the pursuit. It was everything Quinlan could do to stay out of the line of fire. Fortunately for him the Shistavanen wasn’t the only one who was inadvertently helping him. As more hunters converged they also began to take each other out as a way to eliminate the competition.

He took a moment on top of a Cantina roof to catch his breath, for a few seconds he had evaded any pursuit, but within seconds another bounty hunter had spotted him. He had heard Quinlan leap onto the cantina roof and went in through the stairs. One of them was holding what looked like an arc caster, and judging by the way the gritty human’s hair was standing on top of his head Quinlan knew that the weapon was fully charged.

He dove off of the roof back down onto the street, landing on a small strip of intact road in between a pair of craters. That drew the attention of about six or seven more hunters who all immediately converged on his position. Quinlan leaped back up into the air just as the rooftop pursuer fired the arc caster down towards the street, electrocuting the street level hunters that had been surrounding Quinlan, who was still airborne. While using the Force to slow his descent he tossed his lightsaber, it made a brilliant jade streak through the air as it impaled the rooftop hunter.

Quinlan landed safely back onto the street and was summoning the Force to retrieve his lightsaber when he heard a blaster fire and felt a terrible pain in his leg. A blaster bolt had caught him on his right thigh and he feel the ground in great pain.
“Don’t move Vos,”

Quinlan’s heart sunk as he recognized the all too familiar voice of the man who had shot him. He had never met him before but he had been introduced to others like him. When he turned his head he counted at least fifteen clone troopers, all pointing blaster rifles in his direction from close range.

“You’re under arrest for crimes against the Empire.” The lead clone said.

Quinlan held up his arms in the air as best he could. “Don’t worry, I’ll come peacefully.”

The troopers all raised their weapons and their leader spoke. “Of course you’ll come peacefully, you’ll be dead.”

Quinlan did his best to summon the Force to him, but he couldn’t muster enough energy as the clone troopers pulled the triggers on their blaster rifles.

“Enter.” Asajj said as she and Aurra Sing took places in the spacious living room of the suite, a part of their predetermined strategy for meeting this unknown Sith Apprentice. The room was luxurious but it did not offer ample room for any prolonged duel, especially when facing multiple opponents. If Darth Vader were planning on betraying them, he would have to do it outside of the close confines of the suite and force them into the open area. Even then he would still be at a disadvantage when considering the speed and swordsmanship of the combined tandem of Ventress and Sing.

The cloaked Vader strode into the room, his form was still obscured by the darkness of the small entryway and the bright light of the moon did not reach into the room far enough to illuminate any of his features. She tried her best to discern his identity with the Force but it was difficult to concentrate when the sheer rage of Vader’s aura was dimming her own perceptions. A quick glance over at her partner showed that Aurra Sing was feeling the same way.

Asajj did however notice the lightsaber hanging from his belt, small amounts of light gleaming off of a black polished finish. Its construction was familiar to a lightsaber she had seen before. Then the realization hit her. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped, she reflexively ignited her lightsabers and the glow lit up the dark room, revealing Vader’s almost demonic face, a face that was made even more menacing by the blood red glow of Asajj’s own lightsabers.

“You’re…!”

Anakin took the moment to strike. He clenched his hands into fists as Ventress took a step forward to charge him with Sing following her lead. He waited until they were almost a meter away before he shot his arms forward and released his fists. A powerful surge of the Force blasted through the room like a gale force wind in front of him. Ventress and Sing had no time to defend themselves against such an attack and both were hurled backwards with such force that they shattered the reinforced window behind them and hurtled over the balcony’s edge.

He drew his own lightsaber from his belt and moved outside; he looked over the rail as his opponents accelerated towards the ground along with a hail of glass.

The fall was long enough that Ventress and Sing were each able to partially cushion their fall with the Force, but they could do little to prevent shards of the broken window from tearing at their skin as they fell. Skywalker’s attack had caught them completely off guard.

But now things were starting to make sense to Asajj Ventress. Darth Sidious had lured Skywalker to the Dark Side.

“Skywalker must be pretending to be Palpatine’s lapdog for Sidious even as the Sith Lord manipulates Palpatine into helping him exterminate the Jedi, a brilliant plan. Now he must be trying to cut all of his ties to Dooku though to keep his involvement from being discovered. Sing and I each served under the Count.”

Although she didn’t understand all of the conspiracies fully quite yet, she was beginning to see that she was in great danger. She re activated her lightsabers and turned towards the sound of another being in the moonlight, it was Sing.

“This is why I avoid working with Sith.” Aurra Sing said as she picked herself up off of the ground a few meters from where Ventress had landed. “In the end they will always betray you.”

Ventress rose to her feet, “I'm beginning to understand your advice. You will still help me kill Skywalker though right?”

Sing activated her own lightsaber and snarled. “Of course.”

The instant she had finished making her promise, Vader landed behind them, and his lightsaber ignited with a snap-hiss .

Thunder crashed in the distance as the once distant storm filled everyone’s ears, and the Sith Lord raised his hand and beckoned his would-be assassins with a taunt.

“Then by all means…kill me…if you can.” Vader said as he raised his lightsaber to strike.

The clone troopers raised their blaster rifles to fire, but as they squeezed the trigger they felt their rifles suddenly pull away from them. Their shorts blazed over Quinlan’s head, missing him by centimeters, and several of the troopers were slammed to the ground by an unseen power.

Roan Shryne was leading the charge as the Jedi entered the small plaza where Quinlan had been cornered. With their lightsabers drawn they deflected nearly every shot fired at them, many of those shots redirected back at the clones that had fired them. Jastus Farr hoisted Quinlan up onto his back and began carrying him.

“Do you arms work?” He asked.

“Yeah,” Quinlan said through the pain. “It’s just my leg.”

“Then you’d better grab on tight. It’s harder to use one of these things if I have to use one of my own arms to carry you.” Farr said as he switched on his double bladed lightsaber. He charged towards the remaining clones alongside of Tsui Choi, who was leaping and maneuvering at almost impossible angles. The two Jedi masters reached melee distance with the clones and by the time they were finished not one of the clones was left alive and all of them were missing either heads or limbs.

The other Jedi that had held back were now coming under fire by clone reinforcements that had begun landing throughout the city, as well as a few remaining mercenaries who thought they might be able to collect an easy paycheck.

“My ship isn’t far!” Shadday cried out “The docking bay is only a few blocks North of here but we’ll have to hurry. Where there are clones there’s gunships…”

“…And where there’s gunships the Star Destroyers aren’t far behind.” Shryne grimaced, repeating the old adage that the clone troopers had adopted early on in the war after the first Venator -class ships had come off the line. “All right let’s go. Nobody’s getting left behind.”

“A noble statement,” Master Darte spoke as he maneuvered closer to Shryne, deflecting blaster bolts with his lightsaber. “But from one General to another you know as well as I do that there’s no way out of this unless one of us provides a distraction.”

Shryne cursed under his breath, realizing that Darte was probably right. He shouted as loud as he could to be heard over the sounds of blaster fire and lightsabers cutting through air. “All right then, I’ll start heading south and engaging as many as I can, you get to…” Before he could finish Darte cut him off.

“Forgive me Master Shryne, but I wasn’t referring to you. You’re needed with Master Shadday; Master Vos may not survive to reach the ship, that leaves you as the only one who can get the others to Tholme’s sanctuary.”

Roan shrine fought to argue, but he was cut off when a blast from a sonic weapon, ironically based on a captured Geonosian design, nearly hit its target. Shryne and Darte leaped out of the way. Shryne moved to follow Darte but Master Shaalas stopped him.

“Let him go,” Shaalas cautioned. “He’s already beside himself for letting Master Aranna die for him on Kessel. Honor his decision so that he might join with the Force in peace.”

Shryne conceded the argument. Darte’s strategy was having the desired effect, as he broke away from the spaceport clones and bounty hunters alike converged on him hoping to take down the isolated Jedi. The group was now freer to move towards the spaceport, which they did in great haste.

Shadday was in the lead with Jastus Farr close behind her carrying Quinlan Vos, who was struggling to maintain his grip on Jastus’ back.

“Don’t die on me Vos,” Farr warned. “I was hoping I could punch you in the back of the head again someday.”

Quinlan laughed as he fought back the pain in his leg. “If we survive this I’ll be sure to let you.”

“Just a little further!” Shadday yelled as they rounded the corner, she skidded to a stop right in front of the door to docking bay 49, frantically punching in the numeric code that would give them access. It opened on the first try. The rest of the Jedi soon caught up, save for one.

“Where’s Sia-Lann?” Tsui Choi asked as he holstered his lightsaber. “She was behind me just a minute ago.”

Shryne looked back out through the door, after a few seconds a bloodied and battered Sia-Lann Wezz rounded the corner of the outdoor passage towards their berth. She had been delayed after coming into close contact with a nest of troopers and Shryne could see that her arm was hanging limp at her side, badly broken.

“Go!” She yelled, “If I can’t make it leave without me!”

Shryne was about to run to her and help her escape when the sound of a LAAT Gunship cut through the air, running parallel to Sia-Lann on her left. As it rocketed through the air Shryne noticed that the ship’s starboard beam turret was taking aim, all he could do was turn his head as the bright green beam tore through Sia-Lann Wezz at her midsection, reducing the entire lower half of her body into a smoldering pile of burnt flesh. She crawled for about a half meter before she died.

“Shryne! We’re ready to go! Get in!” Bultar Swan yelled as she ascended the ramp into the unnamed Corellian YT-1300. Setting his grief aside he ran into the ship, making his way to the cockpit and taking a seat behind Tsui Choi, an accomplished Jedi fighter ace and the group’s default pilot. The ship took off only to be fired upon by the gunship that had killed Sia-Lann Wezz. Their gunners were no Master Choi’s expertise though, and the ship made it into orbit easily.

As soon as they had exited the atmosphere though, the blaring of an alarm klaxon nearly deafened Shryne, who happened to be sitting next to one of the klaxon’s audio-casters.

“ What happened? Did we get hit?” He yelled while covering his ears.

Tsui Choi looked to his left and tightened his grip on the controls. “We’re fine, for now. We took no damage but we’ve got about thirty fighters on our tail. Arc-170’s and V-Wings, and there’s a Star Destroyer coming into range.”

“I don’t get it,” Shadday said. “Why don’t they just use the long range flak guns and try to get in a good shot before the fighters get here?”

“That’s easy,” Shryne said. “They’re not trying to kill us.” Shadday turned to him to ask what he meant, but before she could Shryne finished his statement.

“They want prisoners.”

“During one of your assignments you may come across a Jedi of superior skill.” Dooku said in his aristocratic teaching voice, the voice he used when he demanded strict attention to his words. “Your first instinct is going to be to try and test your own meager abilities against him in one on one combat. That would be foolish.”

Ventress remembered the lesson well. A former Jedi instructor himself, Dooku occasionally held sessions like these to impart some of his knowledge upon his acolytes. Most of them were pointless ramblings that were barely even basic Dark Side teachings, but they were enough to entice beings such as Tol Skorr, Kadrian Sey, or even Sora Bulq, fallen Jedi whose understanding of the Dark Side was still hampered by their old ways. She hated working with them, and rarely even saw her counterparts amongst Dooku’s elite. She hated how Dooku doted on them, how he would use their connection as former Jedi to his own advantages.

But some of Dooku’s lessons had possessed meaning, and those were the ones she called upon when dealing with a powerful opponent such as Anakin Skywalker, now Darth Vader.

“Many of you, if not all of you, will never surpass the elite Jedi in strength and mastery of the Force. But they are far from invincible. You must use cunning, and tactics if you are going to overcome them. All of you will have to learn to cooperate with one another,” he had looked directly at Asajj at that point, “especially during battle. Combine your strengths and energies, and you stand a much greater chance of surviving, especially against Masters such as Yoda, or Mace Windu.”

At the time Ventress had scoffed, it didn’t matter in a duel what tactics were used if one side was simply more powerful than the other. Dooku had proved as much when he had soundly beaten Kenobi and Skywalker on Geonosis and again when he dispatched Master Tholme and then-Jedi Sora Bulq on Bakura.

After a series of partnerships with the Bounty Hunter Durge though, she began to realize her own effectiveness was enhanced when coupled with his tactics, and she slowly understood that she could do the same with another force user should the partnership prove opportunistic.
In this case the partnership with Aurra Sing was. The two women had much in common, and their styles complimented each other well. Aurra was a brute Force killer while Ventress was an incredibly agile assassin. The combination of strength and speed would have been more than a match for almost any opponent in the galaxy.

Except Darth Vader, after only two maneuvers into the battle he had beaten back each and every on of their attacks with but one hand. He was matching all of Aurra’s strength and countering all of Ventress’ speed. She could barely keep track of his blade, the only thing keeping either of them alive were their unrelenting tandem attacks forcing Vader to counter each time. Their goal against Skywalker was to try and overwhelm him and take advantage of any mistakes while wearing him down. But Vader wasn’t tiring and his technique was absolutely flawless.

The frustration began to take its toll on the two and Aurra Sing gave into her anger, attempting to carve her lightsaber through Vader’s shoulder with a high two handed chop brought down like a hammer. She had left herself open though, and Vader lifted his leg and kicked her in the solar plexus as she moved in to attack, knocking her aside as he defended against Ventress’ twin blades. Sing landed face first, her chin hitting against the hard duracrete of the road and her teeth cutting into the skin inside of her mouth. Ventress spared a glance over at her, and she was flat on her stomach, unconscious. With her partner downed Ventress was in the precarious position of fighting Vader alone.

She was now up against the man who had killed her master, the man who had taken the title she had desired above all other things and stolen her claim to the Sith teachings. Everything she had learned up until this point was being pitted against a fallen Jedi with a freakishly strong connection to the Force. The one thing that she feared more than anything was that he no longer had the same limitations he possessed before embracing the Dark Side. She kept it off of her face, but she was deathly afraid.

Ventress took a few steps back to try and put more distance between her and Vader, but the effort was futile as Vader surged forward to take the offensive. His blade roared through the night sky as the rain started to fall, drops of water sizzling off of his blade as he slashed at Ventress. She raised one of her blades to parry but the force of Vader’s cut was so great that it knocked the blade from her grip, sending it to the ground where it smashed into several pieces.

Forced into dueling with one blade Ventress gripped her remaining weapon with both hands to compensate for her rain-slicked palms. Vader was feeling no such effects however, it was as if he dominated the inclement weather and used it to his advantage. He strode forward and with a powerful flurry of cuts he pushed Ventress back.

With every swing Ventress was forced to give ground and her fear grew. As strong with the Dark Side as she was, she was growing desperate, and Vader was feeding off of that desperation. He was growing stronger with every step while Asajj was growing weaker. In a desperate attempt to surprise him she jumped into the air hoping to land behind him and strike. Vader anticipated the move perfectly and Asajj landed with her back to Vader, who took advantage of his position by cutting off her left arm at the shoulder, her limb fell to the ground with a wet “thud.”

From the corner of his perception Vader noticed that Aurra Sing had regained consciousness and was now crawling slowly towards her fallen lightsaber. Vader looked back down at Ventress and leaped high into the air. Ventress watched in horror as Sing finally reclaimed her weapon despite terrible pain, only to have Vader land on top of her, his boots shattering her spine and instantly paralyzing her. In the same motion he swooped with his lightsaber towards the ground and amputated both of Sing’s outstretched arms at the elbow. After sensing her presence in the Force faintly hanging on, he swooped his lightsaber again. This time, Aurra Sing’s head was forcibly removed from her neck, and it rolled across the ground before coming to a stop.

Aurra Sing’s torment brought a rush of energy to the Dark Side of the Force; although Ventress could sense it it was Vader who fed upon it. This was the true power of the Sith, and it was a fearsome sight to behold. With Sing permanently incapacitated Vader turned his attention left to his remaining prey.

“You didn’t think you could beat me with her as your ally did you Ventress? You really are as gullible and stupid as my Master says you are. You fell for every one of his lies as easily as you did Dooku’s.”

If Asajj had the power she would have reached out into the Force and crushed Anakin Skywalker right then and there. But even if she were fully healthy she now realized that she could have never beaten Anakin Skywalker. She knew her death was imminent. That didn’t stop her nemesis from taunting her further.

“This is what happens when pretenders try and learn the true nature of the Force. Only those with the power of will can look into the inferno that is the Dark Side of the Force and not be consumed by it’s fire. Anakin raised his hand into the air and the rain and gesture right at Ventress.

“This is for threatening my wife.” He said calmly.

The part of Vader that remained Anakin was pushed aside with little resistance as Vader’s need for revenge summoned Force lightning. Asajj wailed as her body sizzled and burned before Vader’s rage, with every angry thought the lightning grew more intense, until finally Asajj dropped her lightsaber and collapsed, unable to resist.

She coughed and blood began to trickle from her mouth. As she reached up and clutched her cauterized left stump, she offered one last thing to say.

“What, no revenge for Obi Wan? I should have saved you the trouble and killed him months ago.”

Anakin did not know why the comment infuriated him, but he didn’t take the time to speculate. Ventress had though she would at least get one last word in before she died before her body shut down, but she soon regretted it. Vader focused on her with the Force and sought out her mind. At full strength she would have been able to put up a defense, but now her mind was as unprotected as an open vault. Vader flooded her brain with his hatred and seized control of her mind forcibly.

Asajj suddenly found herself quite conscious, her senses kept extremely heightened by Vader’s dark power. Vader was surprised at how easy it was, as a Jedi he had learned how to manipulate the minds of others but he was now free of the limits imposed by his training. Her shattered body moved despite great pain and she could not stop herself. Her arm reached down to her lightsaber, as she picked it up she found that she was pressing the emitter to her belly. She struggled against Vader’s control of her mind and found that she only had control of her thumb, which was right on the switch of her lightsaber. That was when she realized she was going to suffer a painful death.

She had two options: she could activate her saber and allow the blade to puncture her abdomen. She would die slowly and painfully. Or she could simply wait until Vader did it himself. It wasn’t an easy decision, but she thought she could at least die on her own terms. She activated the switch and as she did she felt the heat of the blade impale her. Vader released his control on her and she slumped to the ground, unmoving. With her last look, she saw Vader standing over her, brimming with hate.

It took several painful minutes before she died.

His assignment finished, Vader deactivated his lightsaber and exchanged it on his belt for a communicator. Someone was bound to have noticed the commotion, even in this sleepy Alderaanian suburb, and it would not be long before the authorities arrived.

His master had arranged for the aftermath to be taken care of in advance, over a secure channel Anakin notified agents of the ISB, who on his orders would come and handle the messy details. He then notified Commander Appo, who would help in securing the area and creating enough of an Imperial presence so that their activities would go unquestioned.

His true mission completed, Anakin allowed himself to think personal thoughts, and it wasn’t long before he began thinking of returning to his family.

“We’ve got to do something! Shryne bellowed. Those fighters will chew us to bits before we can make it to hyperspace!”

“If you have any suggestions I'm all ears!” Master Choi said as he spun the YT-1300 into a barrel roll. “I can only outmaneuver them for so long!”

“Remind me to put a few quad laser turrets in this thing one day.” Shadday said sarcastically as she looked over the threat display on the screen in front of her. “Wait, there’s another ship coming in on our vector. I’ve never seen one like it before.”

“No, but I have…” Shryne said excitedly. “That’s the Inferno!

The slender profile of the Inferno flew over the fleeing Jedi and opened up with it’s powerful cannons, scoring direct hits on the lead V-Wing, destroying the vessel and showering it’s wingman with debris. Inferno continued firing on as many ships as it could but it was immediately targeted by the pursuing ARC-170’s, which pummeled the ship with heavy fire.

”Just like Master Darte, why is it that every time something bad happens anymore someone has to die because of it?” Shryne’s attention changed when the communications system started going off.

“Somebody is trying to call us, I’ll bet its Villie.” Shryne said to Shadday, who answered the signal.

“This is Inferno to Jedi ship. Where is Vos?” Villie demanded.

“This is Jedi Master Shadday, Master Vos has been badly injured and isn’t available right now.”

“Oh things is getting better and better ya? Then get me that other one he was with, Road Sign or whatever.”

Shryne leaned over Shadday’s shoulder and responded. “Shryne here, Villie you’re going to get chewed up out there. We’ll be fine, just get out while you can!”

Villie made what sounded like a sigh over the channel, “No can do friend Jedi, Villie has debt to pay to Vos, although if I happen to survive I will bring you the bill for repairs to my ship. Now, you make jump to hyperspace, but promise me you’ll take care of Chak, hokay?”

Before Shryne could respond the transmission ended. The fighters were jamming their ship-to-ship transmissions. “You heard the man Master Choi, lets not let his efforts go to waste.” He then looked over at Shaalas, who nodded his head.

After a few terrifying moments they freed themselves from the melee and began to break away, just as Villie’s shields fell and the Star Destroyer loomed over him. The Jedi looked forward through the cockpit into space and watched as the stars stretched out before them.

Author's note: Hooray! People get killed! I've been wanting to write this chapter for months, even weeks, but it took everything up until this point I think to get it right. It's longer than most of my chapters also, I generally make sure they're about seven full pages in MS Word before I edit them and post them, this one went nine. Hopefully this will draw some of the readers back and hook new ones. I'm not stopping here though, there's more intruigue to cover in this fic.

Who is Darth Cynyst? How will Obi Wan handle the responsibility Qui Gon has placed upon him? Will Anakin and Padme's marriage survive? Can the united Jedi rebuild the order on Telos? It's worth waiting and watching. I promise you.

One other thing, I think I'll dedicate this chapter to the upcoming Halloween, since I at least tried to make it evil. :twisted:

~DF

Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2006-11-26 11:33am, edited 2 times in total.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

W00t Excellent fight scene. That took what? under a minute for Vader to defeat them both?
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Good stuff! Was really glad to see this story come back from retirement. Keep it up.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

I'm hoping that Vader will find a suitable foe soon. Things are too easy for the ultimate villain right now.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Elessar wrote:I'm hoping that Vader will find a suitable foe soon. Things are too easy for the ultimate villain right now.
Wasn't he planning to overthow Palpatine (after Palps gave him the save people from death secret ofcourse) before Padme died and he got Kentucky fried?

I wouldn't be suprised if Vader v. Palpatine comes up at some point in this story
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

*bump* DF, I want more of this!
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

LordShaithis wrote:*bump* DF, I want more of this!
I apologize for the delays in the next Chapter, but...oh my science! Final Fantasy XII is fun!

Outline is written though and I'll try to have something for you soonly.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chapter 17: Gambits

The days since the fall of the Republic had passed quickly, unless one ignored sleep. Sidious had discovered long ago that sleep was just another one of the body’s weaknesses that the Dark Side of the Force would allow him to overcome. Plagueis had chastised him on several occasions, reprimanding his apprentice for his lavish use of the Force when it wasn’t required. It was one of but several shortcomings that had spelled the end of Darth Plagueis, and paved the way for Darth Sidious to become heir to the Sith Order.

He had just received news regarding an incident in the Trigalis system, a group of Jedi had escaped from Imperial Forces and identifiable among them was Quinlan Vos. Vos’ survival had not been unexpected, but he wouldn’t have been at a loss if he had perished either. Still, his survival would further his own plans even though Quinlan had rejected Count Dooku and the Dark Side on Saleucami.

Even now, with his enemies extinguished or hiding in fear and the entire galaxy on bended knee before him, he refused to sleep. The late hours devoted to personal curiosities such as intense study of the Dark Side. It was in the darkness of the Coruscant night, that he felt a tremor in the force, a flash of hate that was unmistakably his apprentice. The feeling had been brief, but it was clear what had happened. With the rage-fueled deaths of his enemies, Anakin’s transformation to Darth Vader was almost complete, and the much-heralded chosen one of the Jedi had become their greatest nightmare.

“Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us!”

He had cursed at Yoda in a fit of rage before their duel in the Senate building, but only now was Sidious beginning to realize the truth of his words. Anakin…no, Vader was progressing fast, almost too fast.

The audio-comm speaker on desk chirped, with the tone low and subtle indicating that it was from Anakin’s personal comm-line. He answered.

“Ah, Lord Vader, I trust you have been successful?”

“It is done, my Master. I await your further orders.”

The boy’s impatience annoyed Sidious, who wondered if Anakin wouldn’t be able to sit still until he had plunged a lightsaber through every one of his enemies in the galaxy. His displeasure was offset by his approval of the changes in Vader’s psyche.

“Your assignment on Alderaan is not finished yet Lord Vader. You must still oversee the Another Chance ceremony. Make sure that our presence on Alderaan is made permanent and see to it that any more ‘demonstrations’ are put down.”

There was a brief pause, and Sidious could tell that Vader wanted to argue the point of having to stay. Vader though better of it though. “Yes, my Master. As you command.”

“Good, I can assure you that when you have finished this assignment there will be nothing pressing to keep you away from your home. Make sure that fool Organa stays in line and you can return to Coruscant for as long as you desire. Return with haste, there is someone I have for you to meet who will aid us in strengthening the future of our Empire.”

“I would like that, my Master.”

“Then you had best take your leave Lord Vader. ISB will handle the necessary affairs regarding your victims. Sidious spoke with deliberate emphasis on that last word.

Vader gave a brief, barely audible acknowledgement and the connection was cut. Not one to waste time Sidious reactivated the communicator. After a brief moment, the emotionless voice of Darth Cynyst could be heard.

“I hear and obey my Master, to what do I owe the honor?”

“Darth Cynyst,” Sidious spoke in a deadly voice. “The time has come for you to resurface, you will make your announcement tomorrow at the steps of the Jedi Temple. When your preparations are complete you will kill Padme Amidala. Then, and only then, will you be allowed to challenge Darth Vader.”

“I will not fail you Master.”

Without words or further instructions Sidious simply shut down the power and returned to his meditations. Now that the mechanism was in place, matters would take care of themselves, just as the Emperor had foreseen it.

The Alderaanian dawn was not kind to Bail Organa.

The sun had barely begun to creep over the horizon when Bail had been summoned by Raymus Antilles, when he had dressed and exited the private residential area of the Aldera palace he found himself flanked by a pair of elite guards, two of the remaining few still retained for the protection of high ranking government officials. They were each wearing the informal uniform of the Alderaanian Guards, one of them being a hand span taller than the other.

“What is the meaning of this?” Bail demanded.

“I apologize sir, we know how you dislike escorts.” The shorter one said. “But Captain Antilles ordered us personally to see to it that you are guarded. There’s been a series of incidents in the past hour that are raising havoc all over the city.”

Bail could have been told that he had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and been more optimistic at the news. “What sort of events?”

“Sir, I think it would be best if you got the news from Captain Antilles.” The guard said grimly.

The three men took a shortcut along an outdoor elevated walkway reserved for royalty and high-ranking government officials. As they made way Bail was greeting with the early morning sun climbing over the city. The infant daylight gave way to swarms of Imperial landing craft ignoring the designated flight routes and airspace restrictions as they deployed their cargoes of white armored troopers. For all practical purposes, the city was being placed under martial law.

In that moment Bail had realized his arrogance. This was not supposed to happen on Alderaan, he had been doing everything he could to appease Palpatine and his government and his reward had been an invasion of his capital city. He still believed Mon Mothma’s stance was too aggressive, but she was closer to reality than he had thought.

Captain Antilles, the Vizier of Alderaan, and most of Bail’s staff were in attendance including the remaining Alderaanian Defense Force leadership. They rose from their seats as a flatscreen news feed played in the background. The image showed a human male wearing the uniform of an Imperial diplomat standing at a pulpit in front of the Imperial Embassy, clone troopers keeping the media at bay.

“…these two fugitives, a pair of former Jedi who were also in service to the late Count Dooku, attacked General Skywalker with the intent of murdering him.

Image of Aurra Sing and Asajj Ventress displayed over a scrolling news ticker on the screen. Bail recognized each of the images and clasped his hands together to try and contain his shock.

…a terrible reminder that even with the War’s end, Separatist and Jedi zealots still seek to disrupt the peace of our New Order. To contain the situation Imperial troops will be stationed in Aldera…

“Turn it off.” Bail said, his anger evident in his voice. One of his aides, Sheltray Retrac, quickly moved to switch off the power. “How did this happen? I want answers, not more questions!”

Another of Bail’s aides, Celana Aldrete, stepped forward. “From what our own investigators can gather at some point last night General Skywalker left the Imperial Embassy and headed for the suburbs, where the alleged attack occurred.”

There were a hundred questions Bail wanted to ask. Why was Skywalker leaving for the suburbs in the dead of night? How could two well known wanted criminals been allowed such easy passage and lodging on the planet? Why did they choose Alderaan? But Bail already knew the answers to those questions, and he knew he would never officially get the truth. Palpatine must have somehow orchestrated this. Bail wanted to focus on the present, not the subtle events leading to it.

“Was he injured?” Bail could only imagine the repercussions if Anakin had been badly injured.

“General Skywalker managed to subdue both of the attackers, both are dead. The General’s lightsaber skills are apparently as polished as they have ever been. Neither body was intact when they were delivered to the morgue.”

“The real problems began,” Raymus Antilles followed up. “, When the clones started landing their troops en masse even after we had finalized the security arrangements, they’re using the incident as justification for just about everything they are doing. We no longer have the manpower to try and deny them; they can literally bully their way anywhere on the planet. The worst part of it though is that every one of our complaints lodged with the Senate have been returned with a short message dismissing us outright!”

“I'm not surprised,” Bail said as he slumped into a chair, as depressed as anyone had ever seen him. “I see what is going on. I would bet that everything the Empire is doing right now is all perfectly legal, probably supported by some throwaway paragraph inserted into the Security Acts passed by the Senate. If I remember the wording of the legislation correctly, the Imperial government can override planetary authority for as long as their people are at risk, and that the military must be left in place to provide ‘additional security’ for a minimum of six months. Senator Ask Aak fought pretty hard to get that number raised from three.”

Bail looked around the room and tried to think of anything he could say to inspire some hope. But the future looked as dismal now as it ever had been, the only thing he could do was try and find some way to focus.

“The only thing we can do now is to get today’s events over with. If we can limit the damage done today then we can devise a strategy for peacefully removing the Empire. Until then, you all have your assignments, cooperate with the Empire but assume as much authority as you can before the Empire decides to intervene. They might have control, but this is still our world and our responsibility.”

As the individuals filed out of the room, Bail sat alone. He shut his eyes and concentrated hard hoping on the infinitely small chance that the Force would hear his words.

”Help us Obi Wan Kenobi, you’re our only hope.”

The ceremony in Aldera was set to take place in the public square which connected the Aldera palace grounds to the city’s own transportation network. Ground and aerial routes in and around the secure area were now cordoned off much to the distaste of downtown residents and business owners.

Anakin’s troopers, under the supervision of Clone Commander Appo, were working feverishly as the deadline neared. Many of these soldiers were veterans of some of the most brutal campaigns during the war and felt that they were above event security, some troopers privately joked with each other that they wouldn’t do anything if they happened to find an incendiary device planted beneath a seating section for diplomats. However, the dedication they held for General Anakin Skywalker provided all of the motivation any of them needed. There wasn’t any one being who threw their own person into the line of fire to protect clone troopers than him. There were former Mandalorian comrades of Jango Fett that had inspired loyalty in some small circles, but the vast majority of the clone army never associated themselves with that order. They were soldiers, vat-grown brothers created to serve the Republic, and now the Galactic Empire. To those that truly knew them, they knew that there were only three things a clone trooper really cared about: his brothers, his mission, and his nation. The unwavering loyalty to Palpatine demonstrated during the quelling of the “Jedi Rebellion” was through the troopers’ dedication to their government. Their dedication to Anakin Skywalker existed because they treated him as a brother.

This dedication spared no effort. Appo’s troopers checked and rechecked every detail of not only the ceremonial ground, but aboard the Another Chance as well. During an inspection of the ship’s programming, a step taken to ensure that the slave programming didn’t make any sudden course changes towards the city, one clone technician found several lines of code not in the original program. The report was forwarded to Appo’s command, where the Clone Commander, not wanting to share the discovery and lose credit to ISB, decided to take the matter directly to General Skywalker himself.

Anakin was packing what few belongings he had brought that would be transferred to his Star Destroyer so that he might depart immediately after the ceremony. He had not slept since the battle with Ventress and Sing save for a brief moment after he had spoken with his Master.

The prophetic visions had returned. He saw Padme, he saw Jedi, and storm clouds loomed over the horizon as a bright flash consumed everything. He didn’t know what to make of it; the message was far more vague than any others he had seen. It was enough though; to keep him from closing his eyes save for the occasional blink.

Anakin had just summoned the courier to take his belongings when Appo arrived at his suite within he Imperial Embassy.

“General, do you have a moment?”

Normally Anakin would be grateful for the distraction, but he was not in the mood nor the mindset to be disturbed if it could be avoided.

“Only if it’s important Commander.”

“I believe it is General.”

Anakin thought for a moment before nodding his head, allowing Appo to continue. Ever since his service with the ARC Trooper Alpha, Anakin had learned to trust the judgment of the experienced clone commanders. Appo, his expression of relief hidden by his helmet, gave his report.

“One of my technicians was double checking the navigational coding within the Another Chance slave programming. Everything checked out save for a few lines of code, but those few lines turned out to be quite significant. The destination coordinates have been altered to an unknown system not along normal hyperspace lanes. We haven’t been able to trace the access yet.”

Anakin’s interest stirred, his current responsibilities and concerns kept him restrained but his new position within the Empire gave him freedom to pursue some of his curiosities.

“Do the Alderaanians know of this?”

“It is possible, though the changes were made after their own technicians had already inputted the proper coordinates.”

“Then whoever did this has taken steps to make sure Alderaan isn’t implicated in case they were discovered. Bail Organa is too spineless to have made this move on his own. What is the closest ship we have to the Another Chance ’s new destination?”

Appo took a brief moment to connect his data pad to the Embassy’s secure computer core and pull up an updated fleet database. “A Victory Star Destroyer, the Sharpwyrm , is within three hours away. It will take at least that long to transmit the coordinates and the necessary hyperspace data before they can make that jump.”

“Then proceed, and tell Sharpwyrm ’s captain to report his findings directly to me. Excellent work Commander.”

Appo left just as Anakin’s escort to the ceremony arrived. Despite the pomp and circumstance surrounding the event, Anakin knew that what was taking place on Alderaan was nowhere near as important as what was happening in the stars above.

The ceremony went off without any further interruptions. The crowds stayed calm even in the midst of the obvious Imperial presence. On the request of Bail Organa, and much to the delight of all involved, speeches were kept to a minimum length. The formal affair lasted less than two hours, but the repercussions would last far longer.

The crowds that had gathered were finally rewarded as the silhouette of the Another Chance moved across the sky, the last in a line of ships sworn to protect the planet Alderaan. As it exited the atmosphere along the predetermined route, those with enough foresight to bring powerful macro-binoculars were rewarded with the sight of the Another Chance ’s last seconds near her home world before she jumped into hyperspace.

Anakin, whose presence was no longer required, wasted little time in returning to his Star Destroyer. He wasted even less time in orbit as the massive war vessel began the trip back to Coruscant.

“Home sweet home.” Shryne said in a sarcastic tone of voice as Shadday’s ship arrived at the Telos Academy. It had seen few pass through its halls since the time of the Old Republic, but the Jedi had made some scant improvements almost a thousand years before the last great war with the Sith. A concealed hangar and improved camouflage had kept the base hidden so well that over the course of two thousand years it had been forgotten by all but the most dedicated Jedi Historians. It was little more than an underground bunker with basic training equipment and a large stockpile of survival supplies kept at a temperature slightly above freezing beneath the snow above which hid the facility from prying eyes.

As the exiled Jedi descended the ramp they were greeted by Jedi Master Tholme, the highest ranking amongst all of the Jedi gathered at Telos. Known for his expertise in the art of espionage and of his mastery of stealth techniques learned from Anzati instructors, Tholme was one of the most formidable in the Jedi Order. His reputation was further enhanced, sometimes negatively, by the actions of his students that followed in his footsteps and adopted some of his more underhanded quirks. Flanking Tholme to his left was Jedi Master Tr’a Saa, a member of the Neti species same as legendary Jedi Master Ood Bnar.

“Master Shadday, it is good to see you among the living.” Tholme said, bowing his head. “Are you all right? Do any of you require medical attention?”

Shadday returned the bow and responded with a gesture towards the ship. “Master Darte and Sia Lann Wezz were killed on New Coronet, and the Devaronian that accompanied Masters Shryne and Vos was killed covering our escape. Master Vos was badly injured by clones in New Coronet. Masters Shryne and Farr are bringing him out, do you have a bacta tank here?”

Tholme shook his head sideways. “Unfortunately the facility here was constructed before the bacta tank became a common medical treatment. Fortunately though we have a supply of bacta bandages the Wookiees supplied us before we left Kashyyk, and Master Saa is an excellent healer herself.

Tr’a Saa stepped forward as Quinlan was being gingerly levitated in the force as he lay in a healing trance. She examined his wounds and motioned towards the entrance into the facility. “Let me show you to the infirmary, the damage is serious, but he should make a full recovery. The others are currently gathered in the mess hall should you wish to join them.”

The Jedi, save for Tholme and Shadday, filed out of the hangar and into the gathering area that had been converted into a dining area.

“Others?” Shadday asked.

Tholme nodded. “Tr’a Saa and I met up with Master Vos shortly after the clones turned on us. Eventually Master Shryne and his retinue discovered us while trying to find Master Yoda. The Empire does not quite have the justification it needs to attack Kashyyk, but we felt we had endangered the Wookiees enough already.”

“Indeed. Our gathering had been interrupted on Kessel, and then again in New Coronet before we could come to a consensus on a strategy. What is it that you have decided here on Telos?”

Tholme paused a moment, this was a test by Shadday to determine whether or not she would follow his course of action.

“We have not decided on any set course of action regarding the Empire, but we have decided to try and gather as many Jedi as we can. Yoda and Master Kenobi’s broadcast from the temple beacon told us to stay in hiding, they must have known something that we don’t right now and I intend to find out that that is before leading anyone out into the open.”

“A sensible course of action, and yet, it is an action we can take. I applaud you not simply sitting idle as the Empire tightens its grip on the galaxy.”

“Idle hands are the dark side’s playground.” Tholme smiled as he recited the old Jedi catchphrase, common amongst instructors with their padawans. “From what we have gathered, there are several battles going on right now on former Separatist planets where the Empire still hasn’t pacified armies still refuse to pledge their loyalty to the Empire. We have reason to believe that some of the battles involve fugitive Jedi. There are also plenty of former Jedi out there that refused to side with the Grand Army who are being targeted as well.

“We can only gather here for so long Tholme,” Shadday cautioned. “The Empire is too broad for a small focused group to take on alone. We will eventually need more specific targets.”

Tholme knew exactly what she was thinking. “You propose we assassinate Palpatine?”

“He’s the only individual we can target. We don’t have to kill him though, but remember the briefings Master Windu sent out shortly after the attempted attack on Coruscant.”

“I do remember that briefing; it was intended for council members only.” Tholme said.

Shadday grined coyly, “Master Adi-Mundi was never very adept at password protecting his files. The Council was being too secretive, I had to know what to prepare for.”

“I don’t question your intentions; I just want to know what you are getting at with your suggestion.”

“It’s simple really. We must get to Palpatine, if we have to kill him I do not know, but we need to get information from him. That Sith Lord who trained Dooku was on Coruscant just before Palpatine’s ascension to Emperor. That fact cannot be ignored.”

Tholme finally understood. “All right then, nobody here is going to stop you or anyone who chooses to follow you to Coruscant. Just remember what is at stake if you are captured or worse.”

“Thank you Tholme, I knew I could count on you.”

“If the Sith Lord is still there then the Force will be extremely clouded, you may not be able to rely on it. I will see if any of my contacts in the city are still in place to assist you, but for now you should rest.”

Tholme and Shadday exited the hangar, following the same path the others had taken. The Telos Jedi now numbered seventeen, and their future was beginning to look a little less bleak.
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2007-11-02 05:23pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Yes! More violence! Recreate the battle between Vader and the eight (more or less) Jedi in the last volume of the 'Clone Wars' comics, but without Vader holding back due to the limitations of his cybernetic components!

I wonder how PISSED Vader will be when he finds out Obi-Wan's still alive. Pissed enough to form a Force Storm to tear apart the rebel fleet? Or are you leaving out that trick from 'Dark Empire'?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
HSRTG
Jedi Knight

Post by HSRTG »

During an inspection of the ship’s programming...
Why do villains only have common sense in fanfiction? Eh, who cares. I like it this way.

Thanks for more quality, Fanboy.
Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Awesome. I demand more.

This > about 99% of the actual EU
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

EDIT:

I've removed this short Prequel/Interlude because it revolved around Shaak Ti's death in the Jedi Temple, which according to new information is not the case. I know what I am doing is fanfictions but I want everything that took place prior to the duel on Mustafar to remain as it did in the OTL.
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2007-02-15 01:50am, edited 1 time in total.

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

"I killed them all...I...I saved them..."
What did Anakin mean? That the younglings were so corrupted by Jedi teachings, death was the only way to save them from this corruption?

And was Anakin's abdominal pain caused by an attempt to absorb the death-energy of the younglings?

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Sidewinder wrote: What did Anakin mean? That the younglings were so corrupted by Jedi teachings, death was the only way to save them from this corruption?
Yes, I tried to base that line off of Vader's rationalization in Dark Lord. Dunno if that line will survive the rewrite. I am still plugging through the rewrites of the latest chapter and I did this as a refresher.
And was Anakin's abdominal pain caused by an attempt to absorb the death-energy of the younglings?
HE really didn't have any pain per say, but it appeared so. He was still trying to come to terms with what he had done. The Anakin part of his personality was nearly destroyed then and there with that act, and the Vader personality became fully dominant after the massacre at the Jedi Temple.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chapter 18:

Padme’ Amidala, still fresh to her role as Imperial Ambassador to the Senate, put on her ‘politician face’ as she dealt with the highly volatile and increasingly reclusive Chandrilan Senator Mon Mothma. Both women were seated at elaborate desks in their respective offices, connected by the hyperwave transmitters

“I assure you Senator, the Empire’s motives are legitimate. All I am asking is that you return to Coruscant for the next vote so that…”

“Do not insult me like this Padme. I am only taking up the reigns you once held on the fight to maintain our freedoms. DO you think that I would play myself into Palpatine’s hands so easily? You managed to convince Fang Zar to return from Sern Prime and he is already in Armand Isard’s custody! There is no telling what he is going through right now!”

Amidala nearly cringed, she had hoped to avoid that particular detail, but Mon Mothma was more well informed than she had anticipated. “I have been assured that Senator Zar is in good health and is not under any suspicion of wrongdoing. Imperial intelligence is trying to…”

Mon Mothma interrupted her again. “You toss around the word assure as if it were supposed to alleviate any and all of my doubts. You might still be so naïve as to trust the man who used to serve under you, but do not think for a second that I will be lured into Palpatine’s trap.”

“You have to listen to me!” Padme blurted out I an uncontrolled fit of emotion. Mon Mothma ceased speaking, as she was slightly startled, giving Padme an opportunity to speak. “Listen, I know you hate the Empire and Palpatine, but unless you and what is left of the opposition bloc show up and vote in force then the Imperial Directive Acts will pass easily. I know it’s a long shot that the bill can be defeated but you must try! If the bill passes then the Senate will essentially forfeit all military oversight.”

“That is something we haven’t had since Geonosis.” Mon Mothma smirked.

“That isn’t all” Padme said with a grave face. “Senator Ask Aak was able to push an amendment to the acts through a committee. The amendment would make abstaining from a senatorial vote a dereliction of duty, and give Palpatine the right to bypass planetary governments and replace abstaining Senators with an interim Senator of his own choosing.”

The realization dawned on Mon Mothma’s face. “I see. So I either return to Coruscant…”

“Or the Emperor will replace you, and you will be able to do no good. There is no other way, if you abandon your position now you will not longer be in any place to stop him on the Senate floor.”

Mon Mothma sighed and turned her head away from the holo projector. “You’re wrong Senator, you and I both know there is no realistic chance that the bill you speak of will fail. If I return now I may remain Senator as you say, but I would never be able to leave Coruscant and that is something that I cannot do. Though it pains me, I would not give the Emperor the satisfaction of replacing me. I henceforth submit to you my resignation. Refuse it if you may but I will not jeopardize my being in a futile effort.”

Amidala lowed her head; subconsciously unwilling to look at the woman she once called colleague and friend. “Mon…”

Mon Mothma, annoyed beyond the point where appearances where necessary placed her hand on the power switch to her console. “Good Day Ambassador. I hope you one day realize the true depths of the evil you serve before it consumes your children as it has your husband.”

The image dissipated, and Padme was alone in her office. Her inability to convince Mon Mothma to leave Chandrila was expected, but it still had an effect on Padme emotionally. The War had changed everything, especially the political landscape. To Padme, it appeared that no one was left to stand and restore liberty, but everyone was willing to fight for what was left of it. The Clone Wars were over, but Padme saw another Civil War looming in the distance that could be far more devastating.

She had accepted Palpatine’s offer to become Senatorial Ambassador, and her first order of business had been to contact as many of the influential figures in the Petition of the Two Thousand, now informally known as the 2000 bloc. Padme had convinced many Senators to return, and of those who did return few needed much convincing. Padme soon began to realize that this was an opportunity for many to gracefully bow out of the 2000 bloc without losing face while others simply feared retribution by the Empire against them or their world.

Padme also realized that she was more than likely not acting in the spirit of the New Order by contacting these representatives. Although she was doing the Empire a favor by bringing these wayward Senators back to where they could be easily spied upon, she was doing so with the hope that the remaining opposition in the Senate to the burgeoning Imperial war machine would not give up on a peaceful resolution. The Emperor had moved swiftly by announcing the Imperial Directive Acts, which would allow the Empire to build military installations wherever the Emperor saw fit. Locations of these bases conveniently included worlds such as Chandrila, Sern Prime, and even Naboo.

Although he could technically enact the legislation without Senate approval, Padme had hoped that a strong showing against the bill in the legislature would deter the Emperor from doing so until he could gain more support. But the staunchest of the dissenting Senators had refused to participate. Without those Senators, civil war was inevitable, only this time there would be no Jedi Order to take charge of the fight and no hidden army to come to the rescue.

Padme had convinced enough Senators to return however, that the informal political entity known simply as “the Two Thousand” would be dissolved and re-absorbed into the mainstream of the Senate. She knew that she would be praised by Palpatine, who would downplay the notable absentees and assure Padme that she had done her best. Then within a few months those former Senators would be rounded up like Fang Zar had been before being spirited away to an undisclosed location.

That was another issue that made Padme cringe. She had known Fang Zar well, and assured him that he would be safe in his return. He had trusted her, but had barely set foot off of his transport before being taken into custody by Imperial agents. They had all of the legal pretenses to hold him, for he had knowingly left Coruscant under suspicion and invited the negative attention upon himself, but his internment sent shockwaves through the Senate.

She rose from her seat and checked her messages. The day nurse she had hired for the children had sent no transmissions, a sign that everything was well back at home. With nothing left to occupy her time she stood up from her desk and exited her office, to inform the Emperor of her progress.

The operation was going so well that several members of the bridge crew found the process quite boring. Many of these young men, regardless of the banner they served under in the Clone War, were those who had been far enough away from front line action that the mere thought of combat stirred visions of honor and glory. One of these young men was currently serving as a junior officer aboard Obi Wan’s flagship, the Battlehymn.

“General Cody! Sensors are detecting an unknown mark coming out of hyperspace off to our port side, 25 klicks. Signature matches specifications for Another Chance .” Came a yelp from the young officer who had spent his entire duty shift staring at the monotonously blank sensor screen at his terminal.

“Right on schedule. Captain Slayke, send out the order to all recovery teams, we’re on a very short schedule. If the operation has been compromised we will have to move quickly.”

Within five minutes of the order being broadcast a trio of Sheathipede shuttles carrying Neimoidian technicians were streaking towards the Another Chance . The Alderaanian warship made more valuable due to the scarcity of capital ships not in Imperial hands, and due to the arms and munitions lying within the ships’ armories. Reluctant to sell her surplus arms, Alderaan chose instead to send their unused weapons into the void along with her last great warship.

There were other ships and equipment being exiled by Alderaan, but Obi Wan hadn’t the time to redirect all of the ships, nor did he want to do anything that would attract too much attention. Instead he chose the biggest prize, so that the rebellion might gain as much as it could.

Obi Wan suddenly felt queasy, a feeling that usually was accompanied by a bad omen sensed via the Force. Jedi Healers had told him that he was one of the few Jedi whose personality quirks and nervous tendencies were unintentionally yet so finely attuned to the Force. Although the healers had identified it as unusual, they also diagnosed it as a natural condition, but Obi Wan suspected it was the result of spending his entire Jedi career with either Qui Gon Jinn or Anakin Skywalker.

“Sir!” Came the yell from the same excitable sensor operator that had identified Another Chance . “A new mark appearing out of hyperspace beyond our operational perimeter! It’s a Star Destroyer, Victory class!”

“All ships prepare to retreat!” Captain Slayke yelled, aware of Obi Wan’s previous order to avoid confrontation.

“Belay that order.” Obi Wan said confidently. He stood from his seat and strode forwards, not entirely sure of what had come over him. His crew stared at him, frightened and aware that he was contradicting himself. “Even if we were to retreat now we’d be abandoning our operatives n the Chance . Captain Slayke how much time until they’ve finished their work?”

“Ten minutes.” Slayke replied, he warily said.

“Then signal Master Control to begin jamming the area and direct her starfighters towards our ships in a defensive screen. If the Empire who we were or knew what we were doing here they would have sent in an entire task force, not just one VSD.”

Slayke, renewed with confidence nodded in agreement. Obi Wan responded with words even more startling than his decision to fight.

“Besides, we need to show the galaxy that the Empire can be hurt.”

“She is where ?” Anakin yelled his question at the protocol droid answering his transmission to his residence.

The droid, lacking the necessary programming to phrase responses based on sentient emotions, failed to react to Anakin’s anger. “Ambassador Amidala and the children are currently at the Senatorial Convocation Center, presumably in her office.”

Anakin pressed his fingers against his throbbing temple. As soon as he got home he knew that he would likely end up dismantling that particular droid with his lightsaber, and casting the spare parts into the under-city. Even more upsetting than the droid was the fact that Padme was once again involved with the Senate. Accepting the position behind his back made it even worse.

He realized that somehow his new master was behind this, as part of a plan to manipulate her political skills for his own gain. It was a bitter reminder that his loyalty to Palpatine would take far more than the execution of his commands. His very life was now dictated by the whim of the one man left in the galaxy who could control him.

“Redirect my transmission to her office then. It is important that I speak to her.” Anakin demanded.

Fortunately for the droid he was programmed to serve his owner unwaveringly. “Certainly Master Skywalker.”

After several excruciating minutes Amidala’s holo image finally appeared. Her hair once again dressed with the delicate ornaments common to high status women of Naboo.

“Ani? Is that you?”

His anger melted. Her voice was as soft as ever, and the expression on her face as precious to him as the day they had met in Watto’s shop. Inside of his heart, Anakin Skywalker’s blue blade flashed through the darkness, pushing Vader back. The man was moving further away from the precipice of oblivion, and Vader’s once imminent victory was once again cast into doubt.

Anakin’s image nodded back at her, and he smiled slightly. “I go on one diplomatic mission to Alderaan and just before I get home I’m told that you’ve gone off and joined the government – again.”

Padme’s face was mournful, but she was not about to back down from Anakin. During the Battle of Coruscant and the aftermath she had been forced into sitting almost completely idle as the Empire rose to power. She was not about to sit down and do nothing when she knew that she could accomplish good works with the Senate. “I couldn’t just sit by Anakin. Emperor Palpatine approached me personally and asked that I represent the Empire to the Senate.”

His suspicions were confirmed, but he was at least glad that she had chosen to work with the Empire rather than against it. But Palpatine never made such tempting offers without a cost.

“How was it that he convinced you?” Anakin asked. “What could possibly convince you to take an assignment in such a way that I have to find out about it from our protocol droid?”

Padme looked away from him, her memory still haunted by his hate filled yellow eyes on Mustafar. “All I asked in return was that you be allowed to stay home.” Anakin was stunned and remained silent. “You’ve been fighting almost non stop for four years.” Anakin was still quiet, so Padme pressed her case. “You’re the one who told me that we needed to embrace the New Order. Besides, if I am successful with my goals in the Senate you won’t have to fight any more. If The Empire truly stands for what you say it does then a peaceful solution must exist. But until we make an honest effort to achieve peace, then those opposed to the Empire will continue to gather arms. At this rate civil war is inevitable.”

The words were familiar to what Palpatine had told Anakin just after the pair of Sith had sent Mace Windu hurtling to his death. ”The Jedi are relentless; if they are not all destroyed, it will be civil war without end.”

“I’m less than an hour away. I’ll meet you and the children at your office.” He grumbled in a vain attempt to make the topic at hand go away.

“That’s not necessary, the twins and I will be home shortly.” she said, her brilliant white teeth flashed as she smiled. “We’ll meet you at home just as soon as I finish reviewing some of the Force Regulation Acts.”

Anakin’s head cocked. “Did you say ‘Force’ Regulation Acts?”

Padme’s face turned sour as she realized that this was the first Anakin had heard of Palpatine’s proposed measure. “You mean you haven’t heard?”

“Heard what?” Anakin’s voice deepened. Vader’s red blade crossed with Anakin’s at the center of his heart.

“I think it would be best if you met me here at the Senate after all. I can’t believe that you haven’t been told.”

Inside of Anakin’s heart, the Dark Specter of Vader laughed his noble counterpart, turning the momentum back in his favor. “Told WHAT?”

For a split second Padme began to reconsider telling Anakin. For some reason he had been kept out of the loop and now she had to deal with his possible response.

“Palpatine is going to reform the Jedi Order, under the legal jurisdiction of the Empire.”

Anakin was stunned. Hadn’t he risked everything in a fight to eradicate the Jedi from the galaxy? Hadn’t he turned his back on the Jedi, and swore to destroy the Jedi Order? There was no way he could co-exist with the order he had betrayed.

His thoughts were broken off by Padme. “There’s more, the reformation of the Jedi is being led by one of the Jedi Council.”

”But they’re all dead!” Anakin’s inner voice screamed, he managed to suppress it though so as not to upset his wife. There was only one thing Anakin could possibly ask. “…Who?”

Padme told him, and the answer only added to Anakin’s bewilderment.

Darth Cynyst, hidden Apprentice of the Sith, finally received permission from Lord Sidious to leave the Medical center that Cynyst had called home for many days. During that time, it was all Cynyst could do to fight back the memories. Memories of a Jedi Knighthood long forsaken, of being approached by the Sith in secrecy within the Temple itself. Sidious had taught his apprentice much in the arts of deception.

“When Darth Bane liberated the Sith Order from Kaan and the Brotherhood of Darkness, he not only established the Rule of Two, but he also returned to the Sith some of the Dark Side’s most potent weapons. Turmoil and deceit were no longer used in the petty power struggles of Sith pretenders. Now the Sith are free to use those weapons against the Jedi. Deceit feeds turmoil, and turmoil clouds the Jedi perception and corrupts the serenity which gives them strength. Without their strength the Jedi Order will begin to tear itself apart at the seams, leaving it vulnerable to the Dark Side of the Force. Through the Dark Side, the Sith will at last have revenge.”

Despite the Rule of Two however Sidious had been careful to protect the Sith legacy. After the death of his first apprentice on Naboo, Sidious began training two apprentices simultaneously with the hopes of pitting them against each other to determine his ultimate successor. Dooku and Vergere had been trained separately, and when Vergere turned on her Master it was Dooku’s agents that had chased her out of the known galaxy. Dooku had won the day and that helped him in part to gain the title of Darth Tyranus. But Sidious was not satisfied and began training Cynyst in secret, knowing that Cynyst would be far superior to Dooku in the coveted Sith arts of deception that Sidious had mastered years ago.

Sidious had first titled Darth Maul, then Tyranus, and now Vader. According to Sidious each of these apprentices had been chosen for their raw power and hate, a way of complementing Sidious’ own deceptive nature. But now it was Cynyst’s turn to do the master’s bidding.

Stepping into the light, the hidden apprentice prepared to address the galaxy. Years of preparation and waiting had been put into this very moment, it was now time to gather the remaining Jedi and rebuild their broken Order.

Because when the time came, the extinction of the Jedi and Padme Amidala would be far easier if they were all in one place.

Seated on his throne, Sidious gave the order to Darth Cynyst and the technical crew to begin the broadcast over the holonet. The announcement of the Restoration of the Jedi Order was one of several contingency plans he had put into place if necessary. If he wanted to kill Padme Amidala without arousing the ire of Anakin Skywalker, it was a course of action he had to take.

If all was proceeding according to his design, Anakin was still in hyperspace. The broadcast had to begin before he arrived before his objections could be noted, so that the boy would be forced to support the Emperor’s decision. It would also have the effect of legitimizing the “rebuilt” order if Anakin Skywalker, Hero to the uncounted trillions of the galaxy, backed the idea.

Swiveling his throne away from his desk he turned towards table sized holodisplay to his right. Within minutes, the trap was set.

In the hidden Jedi haven on Telos, Jambe Lu was monitoring the holonet on an encrypted feed that allowed the Jedi access without the risk of anyone tracing their location. Unskilled in the Force but determined not to be useless, he had volunteered much of his time in monitoring Imperial News Channels. He was changing station frequencies when he noticed that many of the major news outlets were cutting away to a live broadcast from Coruscant. Curious, he continued to watch as Sate Pestage took the stand in front of a throng of reporters outside of the Senate Dome. ]”Oh great, yet another self-congratulatory speech from the Empire. What else is new,” he scoffed.

After a few minutes he had begun to turn his attention elsewhere when he heard Pestage mention the word “Jedi.” His interest sparked, he turned up the volume.

”And so without further ado, I present to you the new Grand Master and Imperial Liason of the Jedi Order….

“MASTER THOLME!” Jambe yelled. “You have to see this!”

Somewhere on New Plympto, fugitive Jedi General Dass Jennir watched along with Nosaurian guerillas under his command.

Within the walls of a dusty cantina in Mos Espa, A’Sharad Hett stared in disbelief at the main flatscreen.

In a reclaimed apartment in the lower levels of Coruscant, Jax Pavan watched alongside a protocol droid once owned by his deceased father.

All across the galaxy, Jedi were drawn to the holonet broadcast. They all watched intently as one of their former Council members stood up in front of the entire galaxy and declared that the Jedi Order would be rebuilt, and that amnesty would be granted to all Jedi no matter their crime.

Reacting to Jambe’s cries, Tholme had hurried into the conference room where the other Jedi had begun to gather. Tholme at first wondered why Jambe had been so upset. Sure reforming the Jedi Order was a big deal but Tholme recognized it as a vain attempt by the Empire to draw them out of hiding. But Tholme had not been prepared for what he saw on the display.

Depa Billaba stood at the podium, her arms reaching outwards making peaceful gestures.

“My fellow Imperial Citizens. We have all suffered greatly, none more so than the few Jedi that survived the conspiracy perpetuated by my former master Mace Windu. The attempt on the Emperor’s life that day will be forever known as the darkest day of our order.

But there is still hope! The Emperor recognizes the need for a stabilizing force in our ever changing galaxy. That is why he has entrusted me with the task of rebuilding the Jedi Order. I call upon all Jedi to come out of hiding and reclaim your pride as Jedi Knights! I call upon the Jedi to fulfill the oaths they have sworn to the citizens of the galaxy. Let us forgive the crimes of those at the top of the conspiracy and show that the name Jedi is still synonymous with justice and peace. To those Jedi who doubt my intentions. Indeed my association to Mace Windu has tainted me in the eyes of many. But you do not have to take my word for it, but I know someone else who can.”

Gasps of astonishment came from those Jedi who had survived the fighting in New Coronet as Roblio Darte stood next to Master Billaba.

“I am Jedi Master Roblio Darte, and I was taken into custody on New Coronet while attempting to flee from the Empire. At the time I had thought that my life was forfeit. But Master Billaba’s words are true! Thanks to her efforts my life was spared, and now I am honored to once again to serve the galaxy as one of her protectors, and I am also once again fortunate to serve alongside the valiant clone soldiers who provided the manpower needed to defeat the Separatists! I know there are still many Jedi alive out there. I beseech all of you to join us on Coruscant. The sooner we re establish the Jedi, the sooner we can resume our true duties of serving Peace and Justice, as we did before the Clone Wars.”

Depa, also know as Darth Cynyst, stood by and watched as Master Darte performed his duties admirably. It had been shamefully easy to convince him that her intentions were true. Never would he suspect that he was doing the biddings of a Sith. He had been all too eager to reveal the identities of the Jedi who had aided him on New Coronet, his desperation to restore the order had clouded his judgment. Sidious had been right; the Jedi had become vulnerable amidst the chaos built from war.

Darte had finally finished talking, and Depa knew that Pestage would handle the rest. For a non force user he was a capable minion, worthy of service to Lord Sidious. There was nothing left to do but wait for the Jedi to make the next move.

Author's Notes: Whew! Took me a while. Well the cat is out of the bag, Depa Billaba is Darth Cynyst, don't like it? Too bad I can't change it now! Feedback on this chapter would be good because I would like to begin the process of doing some editing perhaps while I flesh out the next few chapters.

Pax Britannia
Padawan Learner

Post by Pax Britannia »

I really dont think the Emperor would have brought back the Jedi order even if it was under Sith guidance.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Pax Britannia wrote:I really dont think the Emperor would have brought back the Jedi order even if it was under Sith guidance.
Behind this dressed link lies both a spoiler and the answer to your question.

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

When I first read about Darth Cynyst, I tried-- and failed-- to look HIM up on Wikipedia. When I read the newest chapter, I found a description for Depa Billaba on starwars.com, but the article specifically identifies Depa as a FEMALE. Can a Chalactan change his/her gender like the raptors in 'Jurassic Park'?

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Sidewinder wrote:When I first read about Darth Cynyst, I tried-- and failed-- to look HIM up on Wikipedia. When I read the newest chapter, I found a description for Depa Billaba on starwars.com, but the article specifically identifies Depa as a FEMALE. Can a Chalactan change his/her gender like the raptors in 'Jurassic Park'?
When is it ever stated Cynyst is male?

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:When I first read about Darth Cynyst, I tried-- and failed-- to look HIM up on Wikipedia. When I read the newest chapter, I found a description for Depa Billaba on starwars.com, but the article specifically identifies Depa as a FEMALE. Can a Chalactan change his/her gender like the raptors in 'Jurassic Park'?
When is it ever stated Cynyst is male?
Sorry, I guess I made an incorrect assumption. By the way, why was Depa chosen? Because she was obscure, so a writer can make up whatever he or she wants about Depa without worrying about some fan screaming, "She's out-of-character! According to [one sentence in one book], Depa would've done [something few people know about]."

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

When she went crazy in Shatterpoint, I was bewildered. I would have expected this from a lesser status Jedi, but not a member of the Jedi Council, I figured there had to be more to it than what was presented. Also, her body remained in the Temple in stasis. Combine my morbid speculation on both her fall and then her fate in the Jedi Temple during Order 66 and that's why I had to choose her. Another one of Sidious' schemes that he could dispose of easily should he chose to discard it. Also, her character will be perfect for what will eventually happen.

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Conceded. (I didn't read 'Shatterpoint', so I can't comment on whether or not Depa is out-of-character in your fan fic.)

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

A quick recap of what's going on here so, spoilers in this post if you haven't read the previous chapters. I am almost done with the new chapter.

-Anakin beats Obi Wan on Mustafar
-Obi is now in the Vader-suit as unnamed Jedi General Ben Cody, working for Alderaan, then the Rebellion
-Palpatine is scheming to keep his apprentice under control and is having a hard time doing so. Also scheming to get rid of Padme who he makes Imperial Ambassador to the Senate.
-Anakin has killed Jabba the Hutt, Owen Lars, Asajj Ventress, and Aurra Sing as part of attempts by Palaptine to drive him further to the Dark Side.
-Depa Billaba is a Sith thrall to Palpatine in a plot that in the OTL Palpatine never needed and had killed. She is trying to usurp Anakin.
-Seventeen Jedi are gathered on Telos at the old JEdi stronghold under the direction of Tholme.

Shadday - Jedi Master
Bultar Swan - Jedi Master
Tsui Choi - Jedi Master
Jastus Farr - Jedi Master
Shaalas - Jedi Master
Roan Shryne - Jedi Master
Quinlan Vos - Jedi Master
Tholme - Jedi Master
T'ra Saa - Jedi Master
Iwo Kulka - Jedi Knight
Jambe Lu - AgriCorps
Nam Poorf - AgriCorps
Bol Chatak - Jedi Master
Olee Starstone - Jedi Padawan
Klossi Anno - Jedi Padawan
Siadem Forte - Jedi Knight
Deran Nalual - Jedi Padawan

Other survivors are noted. Depa Billaba has emerged attempting to help the Empire found a new Jedi Order that will be loyal to the Empire (so far as the story says). The Empire is currently offering any Jedi Amnesty if they register with the Empire and agree to serve the New Order regardless of past status.

There is more to it, but I thought I might provide this brief rundown.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chapter 19: Question the Answers

Sidious could sense Vader’s march to the Senate Building like a planet wide thundercloud that threatened to devour the entire ecumenopolis whole. For the first time since the perilous escape from the Invisible Hand , Sidious was a little nervous.

Amidala had told Vader about Depa Billaba and the Imperial plot to reform the Jedi Order. That was easy to ascertain. Vader was a touchy one at that. Be he a Jedi or Sith, he was accustomed to being treated above all others. Fortunately for the Dark Lord of the Sith, he could cow his Apprentice far better than the Jedi Council had ever managed. He also held the bargaining chip that would forever be his trump card against Anakin, the power to save Padme. A power that even he admitted to not having shortly after bestowing Anakin the title of Darth Vader, but Vader still believed his master held some sort of Sith secret, and Sidious knew it. It mattered little, because there was no future for Amidala in the New Order.

Sidious had debated with himself time and again, sometimes contemplating within the Force and other times reaching out with his mind in an effort to tear the answer out of destiny’s grasp. At present Padme was the one restraint on Vader. She had to be eliminated in order for Vader to full realize his potential. Without her however, there had been nothing to keep Vader’s loyalty in check. Things had changed though, when the Skywalker twins were born…

The protocol droid duo tasked with greeting dignitaries to the restricted access level of the Senate Building never stood a chance. Anakin brought his right fist together without even breaking stride and the two droids collapsed and every weld and joint, falling into a pile of debris, clattering loudly on their way to the floor. A clone trooper standing guard reached for his blaster but recognized Anakin a split second before his fingers reached the holster, he froze, pretending not to notice. Anakin entered the reception area of the level of the building reserved strictly for elected officials, making his way past scattered crowds of bureaucrats and their guests to the adjutant’s grand desk at the center of the room. The Adjutant, a Gotal, did not recognize Anakin at first but could sense his power and anger with the extrasensory horns atop his head.

“G...g…greetings sir…” he stuttered in basic, “what may I…”

Anakin brought his mechanical fist down onto the desk, cracking it with a powerful metallic sound. Surprisingly, his voice was not loud, but nevertheless menacing. “Spare me the idle pleasantries and take me to the Imperial Ambassador’s office. You have ten seconds before Senate Resources finds they are in need of a new adjutant.”

The Gotal was visibly shaken has he climbed to his feet, Anakin…no…Vader took a slight pleasure and felt invigorated at the fear ridden underling he dominated with little effort. The Gotal managed his fear enough to escort the antagonized General to Amidala’s newly christened office for the Imperial Ambassador to the Galactic Senate. Upon arriving, the Gotal ducked his head and moved as fast as he could without breaking into a sprint away.

Anakin entered the door, where a pair of assistants left the room, sparing nary a glance at the man they passed. His eyes found her seated at her own desk, holding her head as if a great weight had been placed upon her. She looked up, tried to smile, and failed.

For the first time since Mustafar, Anakin’s anger clouded his eyes to her beauty, his focus was on another.

“Tell me everything you know.” Anakin demanded.

“Ani, you know as much as I do. I don’t know what you’re thinking but I had nothing to do with the decision, I only act as a liason between the Emperor and the Senate. I am not privy to any internal decisions that Palpatine makes! If anything, I should be asking you what’s going on!”

Anakin wanted to lash out with the Force and smash something, he relented though out of deference to his wife. “I knew nothing of this. Until today I thought Depa Billaba was dead, one way or another.”
“She wasn’t in the temple during the…Jedi Rebellion?” Padme struggled with the official version of the truth, but Anakin either ignored her or did not notice.

“She would have been, ever since a mission early in the war to Haruun Kal , she had been little more than a vegetable rotting away in the Temple. Mace Windu would brood over her almost every day like some pathetic watch hound.” Anakin pondered his words for a minute and decided he had thought long enough. He turned on one foot, cloak swirling about him, and walked straight out the door.

“Wait…Ani…where are you going? Where are the twins?”

“The twins are safe with the nanny droid at home. I’ve placed a detachment of troopers on the property too. I won’t risk their safety with the Jedi back on Coruscant.”

“Anakin, wait! Just listen!” Padme cried in vain, but it was of no use. Anakin stormed out of the office to a waiting speeder that he would take to the interim throne room, the same room where had joined the Sith.

I will not allow the Jedi any avenue of revenge against me. Anakin said to himself. Within his mind, Darth Vader placed his hand on Anakin’s shoulder, and for the first time the two personalities stood together as one.

Less than an hour into the fight, and already the Battlehymn had used the majority of her torpedoes. In an attempt to hit the incoming Star Destroyer as hard as it could Obi Wan ordered additional droids stationed to the launch tubes for maximum efficiency in keeping the tubes loaded. What followed was a spectacular broadside of missile fire not often seen in capital ship warfare. With a number of her guns tied up defending from the onslaught, the Imperials could not bring as much firepower to bear on the smaller rebel capital ships closing in. The Carracks and Corellian Corvette unleashed as much fire as they could on their target’s topside, battering the shield and undoubtedly giving the bridge crew of the beleaguered ship something to fuss about.

Meanwhile, droid starfighters under the direction of the Master Control were preventing the VSD from launching what few fighters she possessed. A smart move by the Imperial commander, the droid fighters carried little heavy firepower, but outnumbered the VSD’s fighter complements over sixty to one. Even Jedi pilots would balk at those odds.

“Except for maybe Anakin…” Obi Wan mused to himself as he directed the battle.

The Battlehymn closed in further to get a clean shot at her target without risking the smaller ships clustered around the Star Destroyer, pummeling it from multiple angles.

“Captain Slayke!” The excited communications officer bellowed with glee, as if he were at a party instead of a battle, “ Master Control has just informed us that all technician’s shuttles have been recalled.”

“All right, that ought to teach those Imp bastards a thing or two about justice! General! Permission to prepare a boarding party! We could loot that Imp ship for all its worth and come away with even more.

Obi Wan turned his head towards the man standing next to him and shook his head.

“Let’s not get greedy captain. We need to finish this as quickly as possible before the reinforcements arrive.”

Slayke threw up his arms, exasperated. “What reinforcements? We’ve been jamming them so hard they probably can’t even flush their refreshers! Nobody is coming to help them.”

“Standard procedure for Star Destroyers upon encountering hostile targets in greater number is to launch a probe droid before enemy fighters can overrun. Don’t believe me? Check the sensor logs and you’ll see that a small object went into hyperspace just prior to our attack.”

Slayke stormed over to the nearest sensor station, scanned through the logs, and huffed.

“Don’t be surprised Captain; it’s a policy we used against the Separatists to great effect later in the war. I should know, after all, I helped devise it.”

Grumbling, Slayke turned his back to Obi Wan. Obi Wan couldn’t allow Slayke, popular although disrespectful and undisciplined as he was, to hurt morale; he decided to sugar his approach to bring the disconcerted Captain over to his side.

“Captain Slayke, the Carracks and the Corvettte can’t afford to slug it out up close with a Star Destroyer. If we press the attack too hard we will suffer casualties on all three of those ships.

Slayke was a leader who thought of the well being of those under his command second only to Victory. He acquiesced, knowing that the Rebels had already won this battle. “Well then what next?” He asked.

“We finish disabling this ship and then break for home, I want the survivors on that ship to run home with tales of a group of Rebels who weren’t going to run away just because on of their big bad Star Destroyers showed up and tried to kick us around. Secondly, it’s against my nature to kill those who haven’t the ability to defend themselves. The ship is our target, not her crew.”

“You Jedi are a piece of work. Kark, all right boys, wear out those shields and signal the task force to start targeting propulsion and communication equipment. Then we can bug out of here and make break for the nearest cantina!”

Obi Wan shook his head and pressed his fingers to the temples of his helmet, a habit he had developed before he had been imprisoned in the suit.

“Err, sorry about the breach of etiquette sir…” Slayke said, believing he had offended the General.

“It’s quite all right Captain…just stay focused on the battle at keep watch for any reinforcements.”

“Something really bad is happening.” Obi Wan realized, as he clenched his scorched eyes tight. After a few seconds, he opened them, and saw not the red tinted world of his helmet’s imaging systems. But the vision of a terrible light, and the feeling coursing through him was not unlike what he had felt on Ohma Dun, after the Separatist massacre of the Gungan colony with biological weapons. Beyond the explosion, at the center of a destroyed battlefield charred black from cannon fire and littered with bodies and wreckage, was Anakin. Anakin clutched a red lightsaber in one hand, and suddenly the filtered air from Obi Wan’s breathing apparatus smelled of decaying flesh.

Only the Force held the nausea in check, but it was of little help in suppressing the fear. Fortunately for Obi Wan, the mask hid his expressions from the rest of the bridge crew. He sat up straight in his chair and regained his composure. He would see this battle out to the end, before focusing on the next one.

“This has to be a trap.” Roan Shryne mused.

Tsui Choi looked over at him from across the table in the makeshift conference room, once a training for Echani adepts thousands of years ago. “Either a trap, or Master Billaba has been coerced into making a terrible mistake.”

The Telos Jedi were gathering in deep discussion, with Masters Shryne, Choi and Shadday leading the discussion. Notably silent was Master Tholme, whose silence was uncharacteristic but not unexpected considering the state of Quinlan Vos, the only Jedi on Telos not present at the table. Quinlan was still deep in a healing trance that would hopefully mend his leg sufficiently without the need to risk leaving to seek medical treatment.

After much contemplation, Tholme finally broke his silence. “T’ra,” he turned to look at the Neti Jedi seated next to him. “You once had the opportunity to examine Master Billaba on Coruscant. Did she ever show any signs that she might have turned against us and the Republic?”

T’ra Saa tilted her head in a common humanoid mannerism normally associated with remembering the distant past. “

“Her mind was completely empty, like space but without stars. Master Windu was not very descriptive of how she came to be in that state, but it would appear that her brush with the dark side was far more traumatic than anyone could have anticipated.”

Shryne spoke up. “She plays her role too well. Even with our limited force perceptions it is easy to tell that there is an ulterior motive to her actions. Or maybe she only chose now to wake up because she knows that we are in no position to try her for crimes against civilization.”

It was Shadday’s turn to speak. “Regardless, the Empire is offering amnesty to all Jedi who come out of hiding. This could be the opportunity we have been waiting for.” The words hung in the air. “Whether or not the offer is noble or genuine, this is our chance to get out of hiding and put ourselves into the position where we can solve this mystery and discover the roots of what has happened to the galaxy.”

“The last transmission we received from the temple was from Master Yoda telling us all go into hiding, to disguise ourselves, to conceal ourselves from the Empire. Master Yoda had to have known what he was saying. We cannot allow the Empire to discover us.”

“And what would you have us do Master Shryne?” The voice of the towering Jastus Farr bellowed. “Would you have us scatter to the four stellar winds? Hiding in cantinas and refuse bins across the Outer Rim doing nothing while the Empire grinds the rights of all sentients under Palpatine’s fist?”

“I am not saying that we must ignore those we have sworn to protect Master Farr, but throwing our lives away is not going to help anyone! We need answers before we can move against the Empire.” Shryne pleaded.

Farr was quick to counter. “We are Jedi, the Force is with us.”

Shryne had already prepared his response to just such a statement. Still, it was painful to say. “The Force could not protect us from the clones, and besides, you have seen the news reports that the Chosen One has sided with the Empire. The Force is no longer our exclusive ally.”

The animosity being developed between the two could be felt by all of the Jedi present.

Tholme again broke his silence. “It matters very little if either of you two is right. If Depa Billaba has now joined with the Empire then we will all be forced into action very soon.”

Before Shryne could even think to ask how that could be, Tholme answered the question. “Master Billaba was a member of the Jedi Council, and it is almost certain that she knows about this location, amongst other safe-houses that we may have across the galaxy.”

“Then we have to leave now!” Shryne was nearly shouting at this point. “One orbital barrage and this facility is molten slag!”

“If that is your wish Master Shryne, then do so!” An angered Jastus Farr barked at his antagonist.

“Master Farr,” the soothsaying voice of Tsui Choi re entered the conversation. “Master Shryne knows that by taking one of our two ships he would be stranding a number of us here. He is only doing what he feels is right, as are you.”

That seemed to calm the big guy down. Shryne thought. “Thank you Master Choi.” He responded.

“Your Majesty, Anakin Skywalker is here to see you.”

The throne turned 180 degrees and the fearsome visage of Palpatine pierced into his subordinate as if his eyes were a pair of terrifying yellow lightsabers. “I ordered you that I wasn’t to be disturbed Grand Vizier Pestage…”

The emphasis his master put on his newfound title reminded Pestage of how easily his predecessor, Mas Amedda, had been replaced. “I know this my Lord, which is why I have not granted him access to your chambers. However, he is quite adamant about speaking to you. He has already torn apart both of my office’s protocol droids and I am quite certain that he will do more damage if further denied.

That blasted apprentice, his rage is a powerful weapon but I will have to stop his tantrums in a most painful manner if he is to be a suitable Dark Lord.

“Send him to my office then, and in the future it would be best to let Skywalker know that he is never to approach my chambers in this manner again, remind him that this is my command and that you are following my orders.”

“Yes majesty, and should he fail to heed those orders?”

“If that should happen I suspect that he will kill you.”

Palpatine smiled as he spoke and Pestage was forced to hide his fear as best he could. He immediately bowed towards the throne and then scuttled off to find the rampaging General Skywalker. A figure, unseen by the Grand Vizier, emerged from the shadows in a corner of the room.

“Lord Vader is most impatient; I would deal with him personally.”

“If you think you can defeat him Lady Cynyst, then by all means.” Sidious spoke.

Cynyst was quiet, her refusal to answer the question spoke volumes about her desire to face Vader in a duel. Darth Sidious had no use for unjustified idle posturing between his useful underlings, unlike his public face, Emperor Palpatine.

“Your fear betrays you Lady Cynyst, perhaps I have made a mistake in allowing you to be present.”

“No, my master, you have not.”

“Good. Then take your place at my side.”

“Won’t that antagonize Lord Vader?”

“Perhaps, but it will encourage him to cooperate with our plan far better than if he were to believe that you possessed an agenda of your own.”

Darth Cynyst was not one to argue with her Master, she had not survived all of those years deceiving the Jedi Order by disobeying him.

“It shall be as you wish, my Master.”

With that, the former Jedi Council member and Champion of the Light took her place at the side of the Dark Lord of the Sith, and together they awaited the approaching storm of Lord Vader.

Anakin had taken little, but at least some satisfaction out on the two droids in Pestage’s office when he had arrived. He would have preferred to Force push the bureaucrat’s head through the transparisteel window and out into the Coruscant streets, but he was a loyal servant to his Master’s New Order, and such wanton murder of competent minions would not be looked upon kindly.

Pestage had finally returned and said that the Emperor had granted him an audience. Anakin left without further incident but he made sure to remind Pestage of who he was dealing with by using the Force to tear apart the secure doors of his office. Rated to protect against bomb blasts and structural collapse of the floors above, it should have been impregnable save for anything besides the heavy cannons of a military gunship. Anakin tore them asunder with ease.

When he entered the Emperor’s Sanctum, and passed the Red Guards, he finally managed to sense the second presence within, overshadowed by the infinite Dark presence of Darth Sidious, was the presence of Depa Billaba as he remembered during his first visit to Coruscant years ago.

By the time this meeting is over I swear she will be dead, along with the rest of the former Jedi Council.

The offer of Jedi Amnesty had been a lure that proved sorely tempting, even for the strength of Jedi willpower. Within his cell, bound and chained, Yoda could faintly feel the presences of his comrades across the galaxy drawing closer to him. In his heart he was saddened, because only he knew the truth of the betrayal. He was one of only two Jedi who knew all of the details, of the Revenge of the Sith.

Stay away!

But the effects of the Sith Torture mask that he work, and the weakness from the uncounted days in imprisonment, had robbed Yoda of the power to call out to those who would hear him. He struggled more but could not, and he grieved for his friends. They were being led to the capital like nerfs to a slaughter.

”They listen to their own hearts, not to the Force.”

The voice in the dark was no longer his own, but that of Qui Gon Jinn.

“Abandon the Force do they? Failed so badly as a teacher did I?

“Despair not my friend, they do not abandon the Force, but they cannot hear it. These dark times all but blinded save for only those most attuned to the Force. Only the Chosen One can restore the balance.

“Reject our teachings, Anakin Skywalker did.”

“He is no longer the Chosen One.”

Yoda, still in great pain, could not understand. “What do you mean, Master Jinn?”

“I cannot reveal too much more, the only way to solve the mystery of the prophecy is to answer it on one’s own. My time in this form is almost at an end and I will no longer be able to guide you. There is still much work to be done. In time however, you will solve the mystery of the prophecy yourself and only then will you fully realize your purpose in this dungeon.”

Yoda chastised himself silently; he had hoped for a quick and easy answer something he had deterred thousands of Jedi Knights from doing in the past few hundred years. He did understand that Qui Gon would soon be no longer able to contact him, and that he would have to contemplate the solution to his predicament on his own.

Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

As always, I liked that greatly.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------