The 13th Tribe Book II: A Symphony of War

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: The 13th Tribe Book II: A Symphony of War

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2019-07-06 12:00pm

Since I know a lot of you enjoy keeping score, I've tallied up exactly what was lost on both sides...and this was definitely a bloody engagement!

Covenant losses:

They opened the battle with seven supercarriers, 35 assault carriers, 68 light carriers, 200 battlecruisers, 200 destroyers and 300 frigates. 810 ships, plus 550 corvettes.

They lost: two supercarriers (Purifying Flame and Incorruptible, twenty-four light carriers and ten assault carrier groups, totaling 10 assault carriers, 50 battlecruisers, 50 destroyers and 80 frigates. They also lost all their 550 corvettes, 95% of their fighters (those ODP canister rounds are a real bitch aint they) and their ground forces took ~60% losses.

That's 216 ships (or ~26% losses) with disproportionate losses in corvettes and fighters. Oh, and the Sanghelli have now lost (in the span of a couple days) lost five Supreme Commanders.

UNSC/Alliance Losses:

The UNSC began with 248 vessels and 20 ODP's of various classes. They lost the heavy cruiser Rememeber the Alamo, the light carrier Langley, fifteen destroyers and thirty-four frigates. They also took severe damage to the light carrier Hiryu, moderate damage to the heavy carriers Dawn Under Heaven and Hugh Dowding and the heavy cruiser Leviathan. Light damage was suffered by all remaining ships in Battle Groups Keyes and Zulu.

That's 51 ships dead, another carrier crippled and three more capital ships out of action for a while. Harper's First Strike Fleet is their only formation that is able to carry out offensive actions at this point.

So with 55 ships dead or out of action, the UNSC have taken 22% losses. They've also taken 30% losses (killed or wounded) for their ground forces and 20% losses in fighters.

The Alliance force jumped in with 95 ships - they've lost one Battlestar (sniff...goodbye Pegasus), two cruisers (Cassandra Cameron and Stephen Falken) and two destroyers (Adroa and Ikenga). Nemesis has taken severe damage and will be out of action for while while the Asgard Forgeship makes repairs. Light/moderate damage was suffered was also suffered by Galactica and Temeraire. They lost 10% of their Vipers/Cobras/Raptors/Scythes and 20% of their Marines (killed/wounded).

The Combined Fleet has effectively lost en entire Battle Group and one of the two Warstars. Ouchies.

So in terms of proportion it's about even but absolute numbers favour the UNSC/Alliance forces - they held the planet after all. Still, a very bloody engagement!
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord » 2019-07-06 10:35pm

That's a proper shoeing all round.

How much will the loss of five Supreme Commanders weigh on the Sanghelli's chances in the upcoming Covvie civil war?

That's a first - a Warstar being badly damaged enough to require non-trivial yard time. Will there be the time to retrofit any new gubbins into Nemesis?
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca

Natzo
Redshirt

Post by Natzo » 2019-07-07 04:25am

It's nice that the Warstars are not invincible. They are already ridiculously powerful and have tanked a lot. If the UNSC play a role in the final book, it would be interesting to see how their fleets improve with this tech in conjunction with their canon upgrades. I think they have the most advanced ground forces, since both the Kobollians and Tau'ri fight mainly in space and don't use power armors or personal shields. With their combined tech, making personal shields for regular forces should be easier. The Infinity would be more of a beast than the Warstar I think. Can't say how its canon power is when compared to the warstar, but it could ram ships and keep its shield and have strong Super MACs. With further upgrades from BSG/SG tech who knows what it would do.

It would also be nice for the Tau'ri to have some more POVs or defining the roles. At this point, even the Colonials are taking a back seat to the Terrans in terms of characterization.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2019-07-07 06:08am

Fnord: Losing five Supreme Commanders would normally be a "meh" for the Sanghelli as it represents only about 1/4 their total...but they also lost five supercarriers as well, and they're the Sanghelli ace in the hole, the Jiralhanaedon't have anything that big.

As for refitting Nemesis, probably no new gubbins, the Forgeship can only do so much. It'll get her back into fighting trim but that's about it.

Natzo: Yeah, I decided it was time to take the Warstars down a peg or two. The UNSC will play a role in Book III and their fleets will continue to develop. As for how Infinity would square up against a Warstar...I honestly don't know, but even if she did mount the actual S-MACs like the orbital guns, rather than just uprated versions of the standard shipboard MAC, they'd still be a ways behind the Warstar-grade superlasers.

I also don't think technology plays a part in the UNSC having superior ground forces. THe Terran MArines do have shield generators for their ground vehicles and CAS craft, and their troops wear a form of light power armour. Where the UNSC really shine compared to the Terran or Tau'ri ground forces is numbers (they had something like twenty divisions worth allocated on short notice to defend the generators, the Terrans have a total of just four divisions, one on each Warstar and the other two split up among the Battlestars) and combat experience, both against the Covenant and in general. They've been a more-or-less unified ground force for several centuries now without any major changes in ground combat technology - the Terrans and the Tau'ri don't have a century of that combined.

And yeah I'm aware that the Terrans are rather stealing the show this book (Act One was almost entirely Terran, minus a few cameos and a Tau'ri presence). But the Colonials are still heavily involved - Jellicoe is in command after all, and he's essentially turning into the main/primary POV character for this whole story. The rest of the Colonial Fleet is here and fighting as well. I'm trying to keep things balanced but I've got a lot of characters from four different sources (five if you count the crew over at Atlantis)so it's a juggling act at times.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.

DKeith2011
Youngling

Post by DKeith2011 » 2019-07-13 08:04pm

It occurs to me that, with the combined tech on hand, Iron Man level power armor isn't out of the question.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2019-07-13 08:41pm

Out of the question? No. Likely to appear? Probably not. Just because something might be possible doesn't mean it's practical. The Terrans have some nifty kit but I'm not taking them to that level - I'm struggling to stop them being OP as it is, having entire divisions of Iron Man armour would be difficult. Plus it'd basically be an entire division of Spartan-II's minus the biological/cybernetic upgrades, and that definitely would be OP.

Any update on the 3D models for HMS Dreadnought by the way?

InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD » 2019-07-13 09:04pm

DKeith2011 wrote:
2019-07-13 08:04pm
It occurs to me that, with the combined tech on hand, Iron Man level power armor isn't out of the question.
Mjolnir armour requires the genetic engineering just to survive wearing it.

Scary thought, if a Gou'ald took a Spartan as a host and still had the armour. Or Spartans that have been Jaffa-ised.

DKeith2011
Youngling

Post by DKeith2011 » 2019-07-14 01:40am

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
2019-07-13 08:41pm
Any update on the 3D models for HMS Dreadnought by the way?
Unfortunately the modeler has been hit with a barrage of life issues including divorce and unemployment, he works on it when he can but time is limited.

I'm looking into other options currently, including Sean Tourangeau, designer of the Luna Class for Star Trek. This would just be a multi-view instead of a 3d model.

The problem is that job would probably run about $100 at least. That makes it a bit out of my solo price range. If anyone is willing to kick in on a group effort, it might be more practical.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2019-07-14 07:10am

That's a pity. Having the artwork/models would have been a nice bonus but not really essential. Please pass on my thanks to your friend, and my sympathies.

DKeith2011
Youngling

Post by DKeith2011 » 2019-07-18 04:17pm

Will do.

DKeith2011
Youngling

Post by DKeith2011 » 2019-08-01 01:35am

May have progress on art of the HMS Dreadnought, stay tuned.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2019-08-01 12:46pm

That's a delightful update, thanks. I am also working on the beginning of Act Five as well, no need to worry that this has died.