The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Forty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

BR7
Redshirt

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Twenty Five Up

Post by BR7 »

Stuart wrote:
muon wrote:again, unless there's some very powerful classified tricks out there!).
I don't want to be rude and please don't take offense at this but your post only shows that you don't know enough to know how little you know.
muon beat me to the response, but I had the same issue. The problem isn't that it's some engineering challenge that would be tricky to solve. Rather, it is physically impossible for an antenna of the parameters of the SPY-1 radar to focus a beam that tightly at that distance, unless you rewrite the laws of electromagnetic propagation. Which is a rather big thing to swallow if there isn't a good reason.
Stuart wrote:There are public domain hints - for example the beam is tight enough to track a target 24 inches across at ranges of over a thousand miles and to detect tiny variations in its trajectory.
But it is not necessary for that purpose that the beam width be as small as the target - only that enough energy is put into the radar that enough bounces back for detailed analysis. A MW class S-band radar fits that bill exactly, even with a multi-km beam spread. A tighter focus for such a radar directs more energy at the target so more bounces back to be analyzed.
Stuart wrote:It's also known that a SPY-1 target designation beam will warm an aircraft enough to make it visible on thermal imagers
I'm not sure of the sensitivity of the imagers you have in mind, but the flux values muon mentioned should warm an absorbent target enough to show a difference on a high end system.
Stuart wrote:A target indication radar with the characteristics you quote would be utterly useless. Another example, the fire control radar for an early Talos beam-riding missile could put that missile within 50 feet of its target at a range of 250 nautical miles. Think about the implications of that (beam-riding note, not semi-active).
The Talos missile uses semi-active terminal guidance though; beam riding need only guide it to the general area of the target. Diffractive limitation of beam focus shouldn't be a problem for such a system.
Last edited by BR7 on 2009-08-06 12:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

On-topic
Stuart wrote:That's nothing to be ashamed of, nobody outside a tightly defined community does. There are public domain hints - for example the beam is tight enough to track a target 24 inches across at ranges of over a thousand miles and to detect tiny variations in its trajectory. That's public domain. It's also known that a SPY-1 target designation beam will warm an aircraft enough to make it visible on thermal imagers - that's public domain as well.
It's almost enough to make me beat myself into good enough shape to join the Navy and become a radar technician; I would like to know what the hell is going on here.

I am not asking you to tell me, because I know that would be illegal. But you've triggered my inner experimental physicist's love of impressive gadgets, especially ones with performance characteristics that appear* to be violating Maxwell's Laws for fun and profit.

*Not "are," but "appear to be."

EDIT: On a semi-intuitive level, I think I can see how an AESA might be able to generate that kind of beam... I think. Don't take my word for it, because I'm not in a good position to put in the time to do the math right now.
______

Off-topic
Stuart wrote:Don't you know me well enough by now to realize that, when I refer to German "civilization" between 1850 and 1950 I'm being extremely sarcastic? It's worth noting that the only genuine German contribution to civilization coming out of that era was the habit of eating fermenting pickled cabbage.
That's unfair and you know it. They also came up with some moderately useful contributions in the field of industrial chemistry. :wink:
Nor was this all my own work, a lot of people contributed time and expertise to the creation of this world and its various aspects. One of them, by the way, is often regarded as being the world's leading scholar on Islam.
For purposes of furthering my education, I would like to know that person's name, if you don't mind.
Last edited by Simon_Jester on 2009-08-06 12:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

BR7 wrote: The Talos missile uses semi-active terminal guidance though; beam riding need only guide it to the general area of the target. Diffractive limitation of beam focus shouldn't be a problem for such a system.
The early versions were straight beam-riders - as were Terrier and Tartar. Semi-active homing was a later development.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
BR7
Redshirt

Post by BR7 »

Stuart wrote:The early versions were straight beam-riders - as were Terrier and Tartar. Semi-active homing was a later development.
Citation? This claims that the earliest operational versions used semi-active terminal guidance. Early versions also had much shorter ranges than later ones, nowhere near 250 km. The information I found for Terrier and Tartar missiles indicated ranges of around 10 nautical miles for versions without semi-active terminal guidance. This indicates that semi-active terminal guidance was established in the 1950's, in time to be used on early Talos missiles.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I really think a split of this TBO discussion would be good about now, since this is a Pantheocide thread and diverging too much from that would be ungood. It kind of sucks since I think I kind of started the discussion-divergence. Sorry, guys.
If you have a moderating suggestion, PM a mod (preferably one with mod powers in the forum you're suggesting).
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

BR7 wrote:Citation?
Look up Bumblebee.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Surlethe wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:I really think a split of this TBO discussion would be good about now, since this is a Pantheocide thread and diverging too much from that would be ungood. It kind of sucks since I think I kind of started the discussion-divergence. Sorry, guys.
If you have a moderating suggestion, PM a mod (preferably one with mod powers in the forum you're suggesting).
Stravo is AWOL. Aren't you a mod, Surl?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Yes, but not in Fanfics. Mike and Olrik are both on right now, and GR is generally around; PM one of them.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Chad
Redshirt

Post by Chad »

Guardsman Bass wrote:
R011 wrote:
Stas Bush wrote: No matter that Venezuela politically doesn't even resemble Cuba,.
It's getting awfully close, though, and its foreign policy, including the support of Marxist terror movements is very much like Cuba when it was a conduit for Soviet aid.
You mean the FARC? Assuming they are actually giving them quarter in the border areas of Venezuela and funnelling money to them (it wouldn't surprise me if they were, but the proof for that has been somewhat shaky)
Not anymore. Colombia has been making huge progress again FARC in the last couple of years and has captured lots of damaging evidence because of this. Large numbers of Swedish AT-4 antitank missiles with serial numbers that prove the missiles were sold to Venezuela is pretty compelling proof, not to mention the laptops captured that show large payments from Chavez.

Guardsman Bass wrote: they're not even close to Cuba, which actually sent troops to fight in a number of civil wars on the sides of whatever the communist faction was (witness Angola's civil war way back in the day).
On this point I would have to agree with you. While Chavez is a nutcase (just watch one of his tv broadcasts sometime.) He isn't actively sending troops anywhere and unlike cuba at least pretends to have free elections. I really don't see him as being crazy enough to not be part of the war against Heaven and Hell.
BR7
Redshirt

Post by BR7 »

Stuart wrote:Look up Bumblebee.
I did. Everything I found indicates that Talos missiles used semi-active terminal guidance from the start, the only exception being a dedicated nuclear-armed version where the additional precision was deemed unnecessary. The only Bumblebee missiles that relied on beam-riding alone were very short ranged. If you know of anything different, could you link it or explain it in more detail?
Chad
Redshirt

Post by Chad »

I think a lot of this discussion of the Caliphate being realistic is sorta missing the point. In fiction the author should be able to setup whatever start conditions they want for a novel. For me the realism is only important in that the flow of the story makes sense after the initial conditions are set.

For example, complaining that radioactive spiders can't create a super hero isn't really a valid complaint for the movie spiderman in my view. (as otherwise you can't even have a superhero movie.)

While complaining that the red matter\black holes in the latest star trek movie was silly because if they create black holes there is no need to drill to the center of a planet to use them. Just drop it on top of the planet and let the black hole do its work is a more valid complaint.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Chad wrote:I think a lot of this discussion of the Caliphate being realistic is sorta missing the point. In fiction the author should be able to setup whatever start conditions they want for a novel. For me the realism is only important in that the flow of the story makes sense after the initial conditions are set.

For example, complaining that radioactive spiders can't create a super hero isn't really a valid complaint for the movie spiderman in my view. (as otherwise you can't even have a superhero movie.)

While complaining that the red matter\black holes in the latest star trek movie was silly because if they create black holes there is no need to drill to the center of a planet to use them. Just drop it on top of the planet and let the black hole do its work is a more valid complaint.
Except Stuarts work takes place explicatly in the real world with normal laws of physics, normal people, etc... okay, mostly normal-FTL, immortals and the like are a bit of a greater divergence than the Caliphate.

People's problem with the Caliphate is that it couldn't have formed, even with the changed timeline- Stuart essentially altered things to make it so that everybody gets their dream. India gets to be whole, Germany gets England on their side, Japan gets China, Thailand gets to be on the world stage, the US gets to flex its nuclear muscles, Russia gets to be the good guy protagonist and Islam gets a Caliphate. The problem people have is that the last takes more handwaving to occur.

We aren't trying to justify it (like how Star Trek and Wars work) but to see if it is plausible because unlike fictional universes we have a backround to work off of. I'm not going to continue into the argument due to my knowledge of history sadly lacking, only that it seems that the Caliphate exists, not purely to stand in for a punching bag, but also so he can make an example of the power of bioweapons. If its existance is purely a literary device, people would be less annoyed, but since Stuart says that it is probable given the start up conditions people try to take it apart.
Sean Mulligan
Padawan Learner

Post by Sean Mulligan »

R011 wrote:
Stas Bush wrote: No matter that Venezuela politically doesn't even resemble Cuba,.
It's getting awfully close, though, and its foreign policy, including the support of Marxist terror movements is very much like Cuba when it was a conduit for Soviet aid.
Rebels and guerilla's would be better descriptions then terror movements. Cuba supported Angola when they were invaded by South Africa and helped bring an end to aparthied.
Sean Mulligan
Padawan Learner

Post by Sean Mulligan »

Chad wrote: You mean the FARC? Assuming they are actually giving them quarter in the border areas of Venezuela and funnelling money to them (it wouldn't surprise me if they were, but the proof for that has been somewhat shaky)
Not anymore. Colombia has been making huge progress again FARC in the last couple of years and has captured lots of damaging evidence because of this. Large numbers of Swedish AT-4 antitank missiles with serial numbers that prove the missiles were sold to Venezuela is pretty compelling proof, not to mention the laptops captured that show large payments from Chavez.

On this point I would have to agree with you. While Chavez is a nutcase (just watch one of his tv broadcasts sometime.) He isn't actively sending troops anywhere and unlike cuba at least pretends to have free elections. I really don't see him as being crazy enough to not be part of the war against Heaven and Hell.[/quote]

What do you mean pretending to have elections? Venezuela has had numerous elections under Chavez that have been judged free and fair by multiple international observors. The election results are at least as trusworthy as the ones in the United States.

Here is an article about Chavez and FARC.

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/op-eds-&- ... l-growing/
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Samuel wrote:
Chad wrote:I think a lot of this discussion of the Caliphate being realistic is sorta missing the point. In fiction the author should be able to setup whatever start conditions they want for a novel. For me the realism is only important in that the flow of the story makes sense after the initial conditions are set.

Except Stuarts work takes place explicatly in the real world with normal laws of physics, normal people, etc... okay, mostly normal-FTL, immortals and the like are a bit of a greater divergence than the Caliphate.

People's problem with the Caliphate is that it couldn't have formed, even with the changed timeline- Stuart essentially altered things to make it so that everybody gets their dream. India gets to be whole, Germany gets England on their side, Japan gets China, Thailand gets to be on the world stage, the US gets to flex its nuclear muscles, Russia gets to be the good guy protagonist and Islam gets a Caliphate. The problem people have is that the last takes more handwaving to occur.

We aren't trying to justify it (like how Star Trek and Wars work) but to see if it is plausible because unlike fictional universes we have a backround to work off of. I'm not going to continue into the argument due to my knowledge of history sadly lacking, only that it seems that the Caliphate exists, not purely to stand in for a punching bag, but also so he can make an example of the power of bioweapons. If its existance is purely a literary device, people would be less annoyed, but since Stuart says that it is probable given the start up conditions people try to take it apart.
Well, after reading Stuart's comment, I must admit that the Caliphate is somewhat possible given how badly things have already been upset in the TBOverse, the appearance of the Caliphate doesn't terribly farfetched when viewed in context of all the other things that has already happened. On the other hand, I don't think that including Shia Iran is probable, and the Caliphate would probably take a while longer to develop.

I think that Shep is overstating the Grand Mufti's importance, he might have had some propagandic importance to the Nazis, but his pet project SS Division turned into not only a farce but an outright mutiny and the Mufti had about as much impact on modern Salafism as General Nedic had on Slavic nationalism in the Balkans. This though is certainly off topic.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Pelranius wrote:I think that Shep is overstating the Grand Mufti's importance
He was important enough for Yugoslavia to try and extradite him for war crimes committed by the Hanschar division post WWII; and he founded/co-founded many of the radical fundamentalist groups which provided seedcorn for Islamic Fundamentalism; and it's kind of odd don't you think, that so many Arab "Nationalists", were Nazi sympathizers in WWII; or that Islamic movements continue to use the Nazi salute?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

MKSheppard wrote:
Pelranius wrote:I think that Shep is overstating the Grand Mufti's importance
He was important enough for Yugoslavia to try and extradite him for war crimes committed by the Hanschar division post WWII; and he founded/co-founded many of the radical fundamentalist groups which provided seedcorn for Islamic Fundamentalism; and it's kind of odd don't you think, that so many Arab "Nationalists", were Nazi sympathizers in WWII; or that Islamic movements continue to use the Nazi salute?
Exactly what lasting influence did the Grand Mufti have in the wider Salafist movement? The war crimes charges, while serious, are about as significant as what General Milan did and no one is credibly going to argue that the latter had any great influence on any sort of Slavic nationalism in the Balkans. He was essentially a hanger on grabbing the Ustase coattails with "Honorary Aryan" status.

Can you document the ties between the groups (a list would be helpful) he founded/co founded, his importance in the founding of such groups and that contemporary Salafism is dominated by Wahhabism (al Husayni had Salafist teachers, but his activities were mostly concerned with nationalist agitation rather than 'purifying' Islamic societies, which no Wahhabist worth his salt will be satisfied with)

For the part about Nazi sympathy among Arab nationalists, I would hardly accredit the Grand Mufti for inspiring such sympathy. Additionally, even major Pan Arabic thinkers like Michel Aflaq called for a democratic state. For example, Baathists in part found inspiration from other right wing movements like the Fascists and Action France, so Nazism should not be overstated in the inspiring Pan Arabism.

There are many groups that used the "Roman" salute.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Samuel wrote: Except Stuarts work takes place explicatly in the real world with normal laws of physics, normal people, etc... okay, mostly normal-FTL, immortals and the like are a bit of a greater divergence than the Caliphate.

We aren't trying to justify it (like how Star Trek and Wars work) but to see if it is plausible because unlike fictional universes we have a background to work off of. I'm not going to continue into the argument due to my knowledge of history sadly lacking, only that it seems that the Caliphate exists, not purely to stand in for a punching bag, but also so he can make an example of the power of bioweapons. If its existance is purely a literary device, people would be less annoyed, but since Stuart says that it is probable given the start up conditions people try to take it apart.
It's an alternate history for crying out loud! Any alternate history story will be less plausible than what happened in reality. Alternate history events requires a new chain of events to happen one after another in the right manner.

It's not like the Caliphate was created because of one singular event that occurred in world war 2. The Caliphate was formed due to numerous alternate history events occurring in a way that is favourable to the Caliphate. Hence, the only way you can take apart Stuart's argument is to follow his chain of events in a step by step approach.

If you don't bother with a step by step approach, then essentially you are handwaving his argument.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
R011
Youngling

Post by R011 »

Sean Mulligan wrote:Cuba supported Angola when they were invaded by South Africa and helped bring an end to aparthied.
Actually, Cuban support for the pro-Soviet MPLA predated South African support of UNITA, a Black African group. by about a decade.

Apartheid ended years after after the Cubans had left Angola. Angola, by the way, is not the Republic of South Africa and neither the Angolan government nor UNITA practiced or supported apartheid.
Venezuela has had numerous elections under Chavez that have been judged free and fair by multiple international observors.
Jimmy Carter said so. The guys working for him, not so much. Significantly, EU observers did not participate in the 2004 referendum as the Chavez regime placed too many restrictions on them.
DAVE AAA
muon
Redshirt

Post by muon »

Stuart wrote:
muon wrote:again, unless there's some very powerful classified tricks out there!).
When I wrote that section, I was dancing on the extreme edge of what can be said about SPY-1 and AEGIS in public. You'll notice that in the text, I glaze over certain questions for exactly that reason. Also, I used the characteristics of older radars to substitute data for classified material. I don't want to be rude and please don't take offense at this but your post only shows that you don't know enough to know how little you know. That's nothing to be ashamed of, nobody outside a tightly defined community does. There are public domain hints - for example the beam is tight enough to track a target 24 inches across at ranges of over a thousand miles and to detect tiny variations in its trajectory. That's public domain. It's also known that a SPY-1 target designation beam will warm an aircraft enough to make it visible on thermal imagers - that's public domain as well. The beam figures you quote are flat wrong; they were surpassed during the second world war. A target indication radar with the characteristics you quote would be utterly useless. Another example, the fire control radar for an early Talos beam-riding missile could put that missile within 50 feet of its target at a range of 250 nautical miles. Think about the implications of that (beam-riding note, not semi-active). Please, just accept there are a lot of things you don't know and the information in that part of the story was me doing my level best to try and give some hints as to what those things are without getting thrown in jail.
I do indeed appreciate the obvious RL national security concerns here. I've never personally had access to classified data, and I give even commercial civilian NDAs the utmost respect. I hope you don't think I was in any way implying that you should even slightly cross the line that cannot be crossed (for a fanfic or in any other context!).

That said, I believe I may have been unclear in my original post. I wasn't disputing or even questioning that an SPY-1 or AEGIS or various related modern radar systems could in fact perform any of the other tracking, imaging, target-warming, etc functions you'd mentioned. These capabilities are quite easy to design in principle (obviously, building an actual highly advanced working system is where the decades of engineering and billions of dollars of R&D come into play, but the physics itself is unremarkable). For example, I mentioned ISAR (and related aperture-synthesis signal processing techniques) - it's quite possible to track an object (or even to image that object!), or conversely (in the case of a beam-rider) apply course corrections relative to the beam, with this sort of extremely high spatial resolution, without requiring that the illumination beam itself be particularly narrow.
BR7 wrote:muon beat me to the response, but I had the same issue. The problem isn't that it's some engineering challenge that would be tricky to solve. Rather, it is physically impossible for an antenna of the parameters of the SPY-1 radar to focus a beam that tightly at that distance, unless you rewrite the laws of electromagnetic propagation. Which is a rather big thing to swallow if there isn't a good reason.
Stuart wrote:There are public domain hints - for example the beam is tight enough to track a target 24 inches across at ranges of over a thousand miles and to detect tiny variations in its trajectory.
But it is not necessary for that purpose that the beam width be as small as the target - only that enough energy is put into the radar that enough bounces back for detailed analysis. A MW class S-band radar fits that bill exactly, even with a multi-km beam spread. A tighter focus for such a radar directs more energy at the target so more bounces back to be analyzed.
Stuart wrote:It's also known that a SPY-1 target designation beam will warm an aircraft enough to make it visible on thermal imagers
I'm not sure of the sensitivity of the imagers you have in mind, but the flux values muon mentioned should warm an absorbent target enough to show a difference on a high end system.
Stuart wrote:A target indication radar with the characteristics you quote would be utterly useless. Another example, the fire control radar for an early Talos beam-riding missile could put that missile within 50 feet of its target at a range of 250 nautical miles. Think about the implications of that (beam-riding note, not semi-active).
The Talos missile uses semi-active terminal guidance though; beam riding need only guide it to the general area of the target. Diffractive limitation of beam focus shouldn't be a problem for such a system.
Yes, this is more or less what I was trying to say. The illumination beam doesn't need to tightly focus on the target to provide such tracking capabilities. Beam-riding would be quite possible with a much greater positional accuracy than the overall beam width (after all, even the most elementary guidance system would have finer discrimination than "in the beam" or "out of the beam"; if this were not the case, once the missile strayed out of the beam, it would be unable to find it again). And raising the skin temp of (a radar absorbent!) aircraft sufficiently to generate a trackable differential IR signature isn't too difficult: per the Stefan-Boltzmann law, if we posit an approximate blackbody with an IR emissivity near unity, a ~300K object would be warmed roughly 1K with a mere ~1 mW/cm^2 of impinging radiation, i.e. well within the capabilities I described in my original post.

Ultimately, if AEGIS really could do such things, it would be a fearsomely powerful DEW in its own right, e.g. the ability to pump megawatts of energy into a point target at such ranges would permit the system to not only detect but simply shoot down stealth aircraft by burning through their skins (the stealth coating by design will absorb much of the microwave radiation, and per the physics in the previous paragraph, a flux of megawatts per square meter would heat the target to thousands of kelvins; the even higher powers and even narrower focus you mentioned would be an even quicker kill) - AEGIS cruisers wouldn't even bother with ridiculously superfluous missiles if they had such a weapon. Indeed, such a capability would permit routine and reliable high exoatmospheric interception of RVs, no missiles required (decades before the ABL could come on-line - nevermind the ABM treaty, we would have had a near leakproof shield for decades now). Yes, obviously this is getting into more and more classified areas; but the overall notion strains credibility to the breaking point, rather jarring in such a "military hardware accurate" story. At least for me, this is almost akin to suggesting that the B-2 not only has incredibly sophisticated low-observable systems that permit penetration of enemy airspace, but in fact it is so far beyond the open-literature state of the art, why it can actually teleport from point to point to avoid interception!

But yes, I do respect that you can't really say any more on the subject, and I do know there's a lot of things I can never be told. I don't want to have you fight with one hand tied behind your back here, so I'll refrain from further posts on the subject; certainly I can apply SOD as required for this chapter. But from a literary perspective, might I submit that (as with the alternative explanation for the "pure note" sonic weapon in an earlier chapter) this could simply be revised slightly, so as not to appear so glaringly nonphysical to the wider audience who may be scientifically literate yet lack security clearance? :) (For example, back in Armageddon, a baldrick was slowly cooked by being painted from thousands of radar sets; something along those lines does not so strain credulity, yet maintains the same continuity and battle details.) Just my $0.02, from a bemused fan of the story...
"Who ordered that..?!"
--I.I.Rabi, reaction to the discovery of the 'mu-meson' (err, ahem, lepton)
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Stuart wrote:That is unworthy of you. You of all people should know the level of research that goes into the TBOverse novels
I never doubted the technical detalization and realism. As for politics - I beg your pardon, but politics is not technics. The spread of Tokarev and the forming of the Caliphate are rather different things. Same for the Armageddon series and Venezuela, actually. Technical detail, sure. Political?.. No.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

The main problem with using radar to shoot down aircrafts would be tracking. Uriel was more or less stationary when he was burned by the radar, and even his highest speeds are not that impressive - around 180 mph (if he is similar to the messenger demons at the start of Armageddon). An aircraft will be way faster than this.

As for the politics in the TBO-verse: Stuart's view of the world is not perfect. The developments may seem logical from his point of view, while they may seem flawed from another persons POV. It's really complicated to take political developments from a neutral POV, because our perception of politics is heavily influenced by our own expectations and influences.
As far as i recall, the TBO-verse is '"sufficiently realistic" - it has it's own, logical chain of development.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
nickolay1
Jedi Knight

Post by nickolay1 »

Serafina wrote:The main problem with using radar to shoot down aircrafts would be tracking. Uriel was more or less stationary when he was burned by the radar, and even his highest speeds are not that impressive - around 180 mph (if he is similar to the messenger demons at the start of Armageddon). An aircraft will be way faster than this.
With a phased array, tracking is not an issue.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

BR7 wrote:I did. Everything I found indicates that Talos missiles used semi-active terminal guidance from the start, the only exception being a dedicated nuclear-armed version where the additional precision was deemed unnecessary. The only Bumblebee missiles that relied on beam-riding alone were very short ranged. If you know of anything different, could you link it or explain it in more detail?
Let me give you an example of how to generate a pencil beam that has very limited spread and is only a few millimeters across using WW2 technology.

We take a standard dish antenna and mount it slightly assymetically so that the center of rotation of the disk is slightly off the axis of that disk assembly. Now, when that dish is rotated the beam will sweep in a circle around the axis of the disk assembly. If we take the center of the divergent beam generated by that assembly, it sweeps in a circle around the axis of the disk assembly. Now, this is the clever bit. If the distance between that circle and the axis of the disk assembly is less than the radius of the beam generated by the radar at that particular distance, a tiny area on the center of rotation of the disk assembly will be constantly illuminated. The areas outside that spot at the center will only be illuminated at the time the disk actually directs the beam into those areas. So, the spot in the center will receive the full power of the radar (because it is constantly illuminated) while those areas outside the spot will, on average, receive less energy (because they are illuminated only part of the time). The slower the disk spins, the greater that differential, the faster it spins, the less that differential. Also a disk with a high degree of eccentricity will generate a tighter beam than one with a lower degree of eccentricity.

To simulate this, get a sheet of paper and roll it into a cone (the proportions of the cone don't matter but start with a long, thin one and experiment). That simulates the radar beam generated by the set. Now, get a knitting needle and tape it to the inside surface of the cone so that its aligned with the axis of the cone. Now, hold the knitting needle by the end at the small end of the paper cone and rotate said needle. You'll see the beam sweep around the axis represented by the needle. You've just generated a literally needle thin pencil beam that's independent of the size and shape of the paper cone. Try it will all sorts of different paper cones and you'll see how it all fits together. This technique is called conical scanning and was first used in 1941. It's still used today even though its long obsolete. Beam riders used to use conical scanning radars because they are very suitable for that application.

This is what I meant with my earlier comment about not knowing enough. All the maths and so on being quoted is fine, but it simply isn't relevent. There is a whole portfolio of techniques (mechanical and electronic) that can be used to generate pencil beams, all of the modern ones being highly classified. People literally spend their entire careers developing ways of generating tighter and more energetic beams from the equipment we have available. The shift to phased array radars opened up whole new areas of possibilities for that work, none of which one is going to read about in the open press for a very, very long time (one of the reasons why AEGIS ships were/are equipped with specialized spoogs is to hide what the SPY-1 radars can actually do).
Simon Jester wrote:It's almost enough to make me beat myself into good enough shape to join the Navy and become a radar technician; I would like to know what the hell is going on here.
The problem is that if you do know what's going on, there are about only twelve people in the world you can tell about it :lol: Even teh people who operate AEGIS and SPY-1 systems have only a limited knowledge of what's going on (mostly it's process knowledge; to handle situation X you employ procedure Y). If you're really fascinated by this kind of thing, the best way to get involved is to get hired by the companies that design the equipment. Essentially that's Lockheed-Martin, Raytheon, BAE Systems and Thales. If you really want to go that way, contact me privately and we'll talk about it. Warning, before you do get in, you will be subject to a remarkably tight background check.

By the way, sonar systems are fun as well, oddly, one of the leading expert companies there is BAE Systems Australia. Virtually all the modern sonar systems built by Thales these days are based on Australian-developed technology. In VERY general terms sonars use much the same technology and employ the same techniques as fire control radars.
But you've triggered my inner experimental physicist's love of impressive gadgets, especially ones with performance characteristics that appear* to be violating Maxwell's Laws for fun and profit.
As you can see from the description of conical scanning (say again, a very old, very crude and long-obsolete way of dealing with this problem) we're not violating any laws, we've just engineered solutions that evade or exploit those laws. That's why, for sheer shits and giggles, engineering beats pure science any day. Anybody can create a new scientific law but an impressive shiny toy (especially if it costs a billion dollars or so) is really something.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

muon wrote: [Ultimately, if AEGIS really could do such things, it would be a fearsomely powerful DEW in its own right, e.g. the ability to pump megawatts of energy into a point target at such ranges would permit the system to not only detect but simply shoot down stealth aircraft by burning through their skins (the stealth coating by design will absorb much of the microwave radiation, and per the physics in the previous paragraph, a flux of megawatts per square meter would heat the target to thousands of kelvins; the even higher powers and even narrower focus you mentioned would be an even quicker kill) - AEGIS cruisers wouldn't even bother with ridiculously superfluous missiles if they had such a weapon. Indeed, such a capability would permit routine and reliable high exoatmospheric interception of RVs, no missiles required (decades before the ABL could come on-line - nevermind the ABM treaty, we would have had a near leakproof shield for decades now). Yes, obviously this is getting into more and more classified areas; but the overall notion strains credibility to the breaking point, rather jarring in such a "military hardware accurate" story. At least for me, this is almost akin to suggesting that the B-2 not only has incredibly sophisticated low-observable systems that permit penetration of enemy airspace, but in fact it is so far beyond the open-literature state of the art, why it can actually teleport from point to point to avoid interception!.
Very briefly, the reason why the capability discussed isn't militarily viable is that it doesn't work too well against aircraft. It warms them up by a few degrees but that's all. In addition, trying to do what was demonstrated against Uriel would wreck the radars; in this case it didn't matter because it was a once-only target of extreme value. In addition, the intent was to get a solid lock on Uriel that wouldn't be broken until the active homing systems in the missiles took over; the burn/boil effects were unanticipated.In a conventional engagement, the ship would be effectively knocking herself out. Normandy will need a refit that will last months after this engagement.

Also, note it was a single target being engaged; AEGIS/SPY-1 is designed to engage large numbers of multiple targets so teh available power is split between a large number of designation beams. Cutting to a single designation beam in the manner shown would be a really, really weird operational decision.

As to using the same technology as a dedicated weapon, a lot of research has been put into that area and its still going on. We haven't got a viable weapon yet and given some other factors, the prospects don't look good. To some extent, the same technology has been leveraged into non-lethal weapons; for example crowd dispersal by making people feel uncomfortably hot. That has its problems as well. In that application, its a great help that human flesh is much less temperature-tolerent than metal. But, as a directed energy weapon, lasers have more potential than microwave frequency weapons. As far as I know. It's quite possible somebody is reading this and grinning broadly because he works on something that says otherwise.