Be Careful What You Wish For (Nalifan)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Re: Be Careful What You Wish For (Nalifan)

Post by Imperial Overlord »

"Ah yes," said Ericorn. "I was wondering when you would get around to this."

"Don't be coy," said Nalifan. "Not now. You're making your own plays as well. I've heard the legal, technical requirements but there's more to it. We both have a vested interest in who gets the throne if Elois chokes on a chicken bone tonight."

"Alright," said Ericorn. "In practice, it's simple. The Twelve Families, the high nobles of Vanyard, each have one vote. The Triad has three. Collectively they elect a new king. Who is, almost always, the eldest son of the old king."

"But not always?" asked Nalifan.

"Not always. There was a case a hundred years back where the eldest son was an idiot and another even further back where the king disinherited his son."

"Could the the monarch be female?"

"It's happened once when there were no sons at all and the closest cousins were unacceptable," said Ericorn.

"So it's possible. He can also, in theory, be from another family?"

"Yes, but it's always a close relative."

"So, for example, it could be your son if he was conveniently married to Darmira."

"I hope you don't think you're too clever for figuring that out," said Ericorn.

"I think I'm clever for entirely different reasons," said Nalifan. "But getting back to the election, electing the oldest son is the usual route, but there are exceptions. So if he was widely believed to be unsuitable, the high nobles would consider other candidates?"

"Yes."

"And who rules in the absence of the king?"

"Usually the oldest son."

"But he isn't king yet. He's usually in charge because he's assumed to get the job, yes? But what if the election is uncertain or the children underage?"

"Well, technically the queen acts as regent for the new king. If there is no queen, then it goes to the king's next oldest brother."

"Excellent," said Nalifan. "These laws are written down somewhere?"

"Yes."

"Get me a copy."

Ericorn shrugged. "As you wish." There was a knock at the door. "Enter," commanded Ericorn.

A rotund man in brown robes entered. His hair was mostly grey and he was clean shaven. Sweat beaded his forehead. "Thonius, please join us," said Ericorn to his priest.

"Thank you, your grace," said the cleric. He sat down heavily next to the pitcher of wine. He filled a cup and drained it. He slammed it down on the table. "I needed that, by the Three. How can I be of service to your grace and your deadliness?"

"Bleeding statues," said Nalifan. "Tell me about them."

"Ah," said Thonius, "well that's somewhat complicated."

Nalifan resisted the impulse to roll his eyes in disgust. "Then start."

"When the Triad wishes to communicate something to us mere mortals, they do so in the form of signs. Since the statues that were weeping blood were all of the Mother, this means whatever it is falls most heavily in the Mother's domain."

Nalifan raised a silver eyebrow. "That's surprisingly sensible. Continue."

"This could be a sign of dismay or it could be a sign that pronouncement is coming. Or both."

"A condemnation of sorcery," said Nalifan flatly.

"Perhaps. There is some disagreement about that," said Thonius. "Sorcery does not explicitly fall into any of the domains of the Three and is therefore condemned in orthodox though as being unholy. However, it is not explicitly condemned. Heterodox thought allows for the possibility that the Mother's domain over secrets includes arcane magic as some of those secrets or that magic is equally divided among the Three as its potential uses are so broad."

"Interesting," said Nalifan. "I imagine that a condemnation by the Triad would prevent me from becoming war leader?"

"That is correct," said Ericorn.

"Such a pronouncement has not yet occurred and it may not occur at all. A synod is being gathered to discuss the signs and receive any divine revelations."

"So, we'll have to hope that both gods and priests will be sensible," said Nalifan. "Thank you," he said and made a slight bow towards the priest.

"You are welcome," said Thonius, returning the drow's gesture with an elaborate flourish and refilling his cup. "My duke has been informed that you have taken one of the heathens captive."

"That is correct," said Nalifan.

"Has she provided you with any useful information?" asked Ericorn.

"Yes," said Nalifan. "None of it pleasant."

"Oh?"

"I'll go into detail later," said the drow. "The meat of it is that the Khaduli are more dangerous than I thought."

"You can still beat them?" asked Ericorn.

"Yes," said Nalifan, "but that's only half the problem."

"What the other half?"

"Their King of Tribes. He has to be destroyed."

"And?"

"He cannot die."

"That sounds like a problem," said Ericorn. "Any solutions?"

"I'm working on it."
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Trizkel gently placed Elvarra's limp body on the bed and then pulled up the covers. He carefully laid her head to the side. "Why are you doing that?" Mikos asked.

"So if she vomits, she won't drown in her own puke," said Trizkel. "Make sure there's someone in her bedroom watching her always."

"How did it go?" asked Mikos. He gestured to one of the servants, a petite dark haired girl whose name he had forgotten, to stay.

"She's a mean drunk," said Trizkel as he walked out of the bedroom. Mikos followed in his wake. "Even high as a kite, she's a mean drunk. Unless the drugs and booze keep flowing or she's going to get laid. A lot of magic has gone into making her as tough as adamantine wire, because she should be dead twice over. I swear to Tymora she had to be seeing triple before the end."

Laerasis approached them, walking rapidly down the corridor. "My lords," she said inclining her head. "How is she?"

"She didn't set half of Selgaunt on fire," said Trizkel. "Or into any trouble I had to intervene in. When that woman decides to drink, drug, and fuck herself senseless she doesn't do half measures. All things considered, she's fine."

"She is not fine," said Laerasis. "She is not as she was."

"You mean she's angry all the time and takes joy in nothing," said Trizkel. "That's grief and here she doesn't have to hide it behind anger and pretend that she does not love. You don't have to either."

"I am-"

"I see everything with these eyes," said Trizkel. "Everything. Drow deny their grief and you are denying yours, but it cannot be hidden from me."

Laerasis took a step backwards, her eyes wide. "Find what comfort you can," said Trizkel, "and remain strong."

"And what will you do?" Laerasis asked softly.

"I have my friends and I have my wife. There strength sustains me. And I do not think he has fallen."

"Even he can die," Laerasis said softly. "Even his soul can be taken." A black and grey tabby came up behind Laerasis and rubbed itself along the back of her leg before trotting along towards the bedroom. She hopped up on the bed and lay down next to Elvarra, curling it's tail around her body, the tip of her tail resting just in front of her muzzle.

"Fool," he whispered.

"What?" asked Mikos.

"Who is an ally of Nal and has eyes everywhere, including this house." He pointed toward the bed.

Mikos blinked once and then looked back. "So how do we get into contact?"

"I don't know," said Trizkel, "but after Elvarra sobers up, we're going to find out."
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I don't think Nalifan thought to block the CatLord from finding him. BRILLIANT!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote:I don't think Nalifan thought to block the CatLord from finding him. BRILLIANT!
It's simply not possible. Once a feline sees him, the King of All Cats will know.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And he's got kitties guarding his room. I have to wonder if Nalifan thought Elvarra could track him that way, or does he have a plan there.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

I'm guessing plan. He knows the Catlord will be able to find him. He knows his friends know this as well. But, he could well predict their reactions and knows Elvarra would lose it at some point. He may be counting on none of them thinking of it until after she gets past the berserker bitch stage and starts thinking rationally again.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Setesh wrote:I'm guessing plan. He knows the Catlord will be able to find him. He knows his friends know this as well. But, he could well predict their reactions and knows Elvarra would lose it at some point. He may be counting on none of them thinking of it until after she gets past the berserker bitch stage and starts thinking rationally again.
No. Because once she starts thinking rationally its the same as the rest of them: free Nalifan. And then he has to fight them. There's literally nothing he can do about the King of All Cats knowing where he is once the first cute little kitty lays eyes on him. He is, however, the only one who has had dealings with the Cat Lord. At this point, those events are completely beyond Nalifan's control or ability to predict.
Skyfox120
Youngling

Post by Skyfox120 »

Very clever of Nalifan wanting the rules about succession written down... while he is forbiddon from Harming the Prince, that still leaves open a huge number of ways to goad him into demonstrating he is 'unfit' to be a ruler... at least enough to keep the debate of his coronoation going for at least over a year (The terms of his servitude by the geas if I recall correctly) Which considering the beloved princes attitude probably fall sinto the range of 'a activity where a Drow has to handicap himself to make it even slightly amusing'...

and so long as he isn't 'officially' king Nalifan doesn't have to obey him....

oh yes and the closing lines make me snicker as I imagine the two commenting on the unkilliability of the king in dry bored tones...
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"You," Lania accused as Nalifan walked into the room.

"Yes, me," he said. "How are you?"

"How do you think I am?" she said bitterly.

"Fairly angry," said the drow as he circled the bed. "I'm sorry this happened."

"Are you?"

"Yes," he said. "I did warn you."

"But you arranged for your precious little apprentice to be safe."

"I could arrange for her to be safe," said Nalifan. "I didn't have that option with you."

"Really?" she said. "How convenient."

"If I could do it over again I would have taken you with me on campaign, but that had dangers as well. I'm sorry it turned out this way. I'm sorry I guessed wrong." He reached out to touch her cheek and she flinched away.

"I'm sorry this was done to you," said Nalifan. "And I can arrange for even the scars that were beyond the capacity of the healers to fade away. I cannot deliver your attackers to the justice they deserve because I am bound and they are protected, but that does not mean they will be unaccountable forever. I was not the one that hurt you. I warned you that joining your path to mine had risks. And I did not do this to you.

"I am the one who will give you a fortune and freedom from men controlling your life, not the one that raped and scarred you. Think about which one of us is more deserving of your hatred." He turned and walked out the room, securing the door behind him.

"I told you," said Miranna. She looked passed Nalifan uneasily where Ezgay stood waiting. The Khaduli witch wore a heavy fur lined tunic over heavy wool pants, both as black as Nalifan's skin. Miranna was less than enthusiastic about Nalifan's new apprentice.

"Yes, you did," replied the drow mildly. His apprentices trailed after him as he walked down the corridor.

"So what now?" asked Miranna.

"You will continue in your work with hedge wizards. Ezgay will remain with me."

"And the rapists?"

"They have been shielded from the consequences of their actions by their political status. That is unfortunate, but there are indirect as well as direct means of making my displeasure known. Of course, if Sargard becomes king that all becomes moot."

"King Elois is healthy. I don't-"

"His kingdom is at war for its very survival and not every disease and poison is easily treatable with clerical spells."

"So what if Sargard becomes king?" asked Miranna. "What will you do?"

"There is very little I can do," replied Nalifan. "I can't harm him. If nothing is done though, you and Ezgay can expect to envy Lania before you die." Miranna swallowed in fear.

"That's it?"

"I am bound. My actions are limited. From some fates you will have to save yourself. Of course there's the synod meeting tomorrow to receive instruction from the Triad. They could condemn us all to death and save Sargard the trouble."

Miranna licked her lips. "That's a cheerful thought," she said in an attempt at humour. "Anything you can do about that?"

"Besides pray?" replied Nalifan. "I thought I would show up in person with the rest of the dignitaries. Might as well get the bad news directly."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Why is it scary when Nalifan is being quiet and nice?

Skyfox120
Youngling

Post by Skyfox120 »

Probably the same reason you should feel uneasy whenever your enemies are nice and accomadating....
bobnik
Youngling

Post by bobnik »

Is Nal's relationship with the King of Cats detailed in any of the earlier stories? I know I've seen references to it, but is it explained fully anywhere?
English is truly a Chaotic language; it will mutate at the drop of a hat, unmercifully rend words from other languages, spreads like the fabled plagues of old and has bastard children with any other dialect it can get its grubby little syntax on.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

bobnik wrote:Is Nal's relationship with the King of Cats detailed in any of the earlier stories? I know I've seen references to it, but is it explained fully anywhere?
Nope.
bobnik
Youngling

Post by bobnik »

Fair enough then. Where's my patience, I know I put the bottle around here somewhere....
English is truly a Chaotic language; it will mutate at the drop of a hat, unmercifully rend words from other languages, spreads like the fabled plagues of old and has bastard children with any other dialect it can get its grubby little syntax on.
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

You know, I just realized that I don't think I've seen Nalifan deal with someone on his level. I haven't read all the Nalifan stuff yet, but does Nalifan have a Moriarty?
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Crom wrote:You know, I just realized that I don't think I've seen Nalifan deal with someone on his level. I haven't read all the Nalifan stuff yet, but does Nalifan have a Moriarty?
Usually they're much more powerful and the group doesn't tend to take prisoners so no repeating villains.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

The only characters Nalifan has fought that didn't die of it that I can recall are Morfindel and Gaheris. And they're certainly not his Moriarty even if they were so inclined; he could smash either of them like a bug at any time he chose.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

And someone decided to raise Karesh, of course. But as long as he's not paid to do otherwise, it seems to me he'd be philosophical about his defeat, while doing his best to ensure a repeat performance would be more to his liking. Given that, I doubt I'd call him a returning villain.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Correction: Someone, namely Talindra, released his soul from imprisonment; this does not automatically return him to life. And he'd been trapped so long that it's likely that anyone attempting to raise him has already tried and failed, and is unlikely to try again, since making the attempt is expensive and unlikely to produce different results a second time.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

Well, there was a short story by IO that dealt with Karesh's ressurection, but he IIRC never finished it (IIRC titled "This is what I do").
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Rogue 9 wrote:Correction: Someone, namely Talindra, released his soul from imprisonment; this does not automatically return him to life.
That may be. The actions of one Goloth, however, did, as The Nomad kindly pointed out.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The royal party climbed the steps to the cathedral, attended by two dozen knights and a score of councilors. At least as many priests and paladins lined the steps, resplendent in white robes and polished armour. Censor bearers filled the air with sweet scents while junior acolytes threw rose petals in front of their path, which had been painstaking swept almost up to the moment the royal party arrived. Everyone pretended not to notice the bone chilling cold and the slowly falling snow flakes.

"I didn't expect you to be here," said Nalifan. Miranna started. The drow was wearing a fur lined cloak over black leather and violet silk.

"Gods, don't do that," she said, huddling under her own fur lined cloak. She was wearing her warmest tunic over another tunic and a wool jacket over that as well.

"Sorry," said Nalifan, "but you really need to pay more attention to your surroundings. It could save your life."

"Has it saved yours?"

"Many times, but that's not the answer to my question."

"Decided to meet my fears head on," she said. "That's what you're going to do."

"Yes," he said, "pretty much. Of course I'm in my place and you are in yours. There are some differences in our position."

"So you would behave differently if you were me?"

"I would probably still come here," he conceded, "but Sargard would be dead by now."

"Not all of us are as adept at murder as you are," she said softly.

"And here I am and a legion of my enemies are moldering in their graves," replied Nalifan. "Sargard will be worse when he gets his hands on power. The limits that are now on him will fall away and you, you he will remember."

"Stop it," she said. "Please."

He reached over and wiped a tear from her eye. "I am sorry. I was raised in a household where those who did not embrace these realities were sacrificed to the Demonqueen. It is easy to forget that murder and assassination are not normal parts of everyone else's childhoods." He squeezed her shoulders reassuringly.

"I'll be alright," she said.

"Of course you will," he said, backing off slightly. He offered her his arm. The royal party was now inside the cathedral. "Shall we go?"

She lined elbows with him and they walked up the steps passed lines of carefully neutral priests and scowling paladins. "Old Father have mercy," she whispered.

"Yeah," he said softly, "not a lot of love in those expressions. Don't stray."

"Wasn't going to."

The interior of the cathedral had been rearranged to house the synod. Only a few pews remained, reserved for the royal party and high nobles. The front of the cathedral now housed a small army of prominent priests, most of whom were male. A stage had been erected to accommodate the most senior of the priests, a score or so of elderly individuals clad in samite shot through with gold threads. Behind them loomed twenty foot tall statues of the Triad carved from white marble and small statues and icons lined the sides of the nave, each one dedicated to a different aspect of one of the gods.

Eyes turned towards Nalifan as he walked in, although no one sought to bar his way. Miranna gulped. "Steady," said Nalifan softly. "Here we go." His voice dropped to a whisper inaudible to human ears. "Hanali, please have dropped words of wisdom into the ears of their gods. This is hard enough as it is."

An elderly priest with snow white hair and beard in the center of the assembled priests stood . His body was frail, but his voice was strong. He wore plain white wool, although a heavy gold chain was draped around his shoulders.

"We are gathered here," he began, "to receive the will of the Triad. To learn if this black skinned elf who stands before us is a sinner who should be cast out of our number or something else. May the Triad bless us with their wisdom, their mercy, and their justice." He sat down again.

Nalifan looked around for a seat. Everyone was either ignoring him, or if they had space on their pew, looking at him as if he had leprosy. "Fuck it," he whispered.

The eyes of the three great statues glowed like small suns. Nalifan squinted. Gold fire erupted around Nalifan's head, burning without heat and spreading over his clothes and body, covering him in a burning halo.

"Head our words," rumbled the statue of the Father.

"This is our judgment," said the Son.

"Magic is mine," said the Mother. "I have held the secrets of wizardry and granted the gift of sorcery since the beginning."

"This one is our chosen instrument," said the Father.

"For although he is no stranger to evil, he is the bringer of victory," said the Son.

"He is the gift of the elves, so that both our children may live," said the Mother. The light died and the halo of fire faded away. The divine presences departed from the statues.

All eyes turned towards the drow. All heads bowed, all knees bent. Silence reigned. "Rise," said Nalifan. "There is much work to do." With that he turned on his heel and walked away.
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2009-05-20 08:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Now, if I were a trusting, credulous soul, I'd be thinking how nice it was that their gods aren't complete morons.

Since I'm me, I'm pondering how easily that scene might have been faked, what with the priests failing to do much by way of divine awesomeness in recent years, and the general shunning, and hence lack of knowledge of arcane magic. :twisted:
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

Since I'm me, I'm pondering how easily that scene might have been faked, what with the priests failing to do much by way of divine awesomeness in recent years, and the general shunning, and hence lack of knowledge of arcane magic. :twisted:
I would say since Nalifan is Nalifan, he more than likely is behind this. There was no prohibition laid on him to leave the Church alone and he must act to save the kingdom after all.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

No... if Nalifan had faked this, why would he be praying? Nalifan wouldn't need to pray if he'd faked this one.