The Big One

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Questor
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Big One

Post by Questor »

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Image Image
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Lion Resurgent appears to have been moved to a forum only certain members can see.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Alan Bolte wrote:Lion Resurgent appears to have been moved to a forum only certain members can see.
I think any registered member of HPCA can see it.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It wasn’t moved, but HPCA is suffering some massive spam attacks right now and Stuart is experimenting with some security changes to try to defeat it. I’ve passed on word of this problem.

Registered first class members can still see it, I don’t know if merely being registered alone is enough at the moment as the forum now has two grades of user as part of the security plan.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

A post by an admin:
edgeplay_cgo wrote:The inability to view TBOVerse is probably an oversight. I'm trying to figure out how to change settings under the new system. Be a bit patient with us, and you'll be back in once we have our feces in sequence.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

This is the official word from Stuart on the matter
Admiral_Slade wrote:That's deliberate policy I fear. A group on usernet were stealing the books and posting them on their own site. There's a threat extant to steal Armageddon as well so I've made the TBOverse material visible to registered users only
http://www.tboverse.us/HPCAFORUM/phpBB3 ... 3&start=29
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

That sucks. Were they taking credit for the TBO books as well, or just re-posting them without permission?
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Guardsman Bass wrote:That sucks. Were they taking credit for the TBO books as well, or just re-posting them without permission?
Reposting without attribution which is effectively claiming them as their own work. There was also an overt and open threat to steal TSW:Armageddon and publish it as a dead-tree work.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Do we need to shift Armageddon to HoS or some other protected sub forum here since I think the board just opened registration again??
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

A protected sub-forum where only registered users can see it might well be a good idea. Effectively that's what we've done with TBO. By the way, if anybody here wants to see TBO, just register in and I'll make sure you get the Reading rights PDQ
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Stuart wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:That sucks. Were they taking credit for the TBO books as well, or just re-posting them without permission?
Reposting without attribution which is effectively claiming them as their own work. There was also an overt and open threat to steal TSW:Armageddon and publish it as a dead-tree work.
Oh damn, got links to that? If it would be inappropriate to post them in the thread, I'd like a PM.

Edit: Woah. I googled a few key terms and found a blog dedicated solely to tearing down Armageddon paragraph-by-paragraph. The guy clearly has too much free time.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Stuart wrote:There was also an overt and open threat to steal TSW:Armageddon and publish it as a dead-tree work.
:shock: Really? You mean, as in they contacted you and threatened to steal it and publish it?
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Guardsman Bass wrote: :shock: Really? You mean, as in they contacted you and threatened to steal it and publish it?
They didn't contact me but the idea was mentioned in a thread on Something Awful. Whether it was taken seriously or not I don't know since the thread has now vanished into their archives.
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

OK, I feel stupid again, but working from my the timeline on my machine, I can't find a few stories.

A Cup for Alexander, A Tale from the Waiting Room, The Grey Funnel Line, Eye of the Deceiver, Eye of the Beholder, and the Saigon series.

Were these yukuized?

Also a couple of novel length stories are unposted, but I assume that is because they are being prepped for publication.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

And it's dropping into the pot in the South Atlantic...

Lion Resurgent 21
Lion Resurgent 22
Lion Resurgent 23
Lion Resurgent 24
Lion Resurgent 25
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Stuart wrote:
If they actually tried to follow through with that, you could easily get a cease-and-desist order as the legal owner of the copyright (it should be trivial to prove you're the original author). If you register with the copyright offices, you can actually sue for damages, though I have no idea how much damages would be, in this case.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues