The Big One

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

The Argus
Redshirt

Post by The Argus »

Well now it's much later and the 'quick' answer I've been composing has turned into a proper monograph on the subject. As that means rather more drafting and editing, it will take a little longer.

shane
Rule .303
Shoot straight, you bastards.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Image Image
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Image Image
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Image Image
Androsphinx
Jedi Knight

Post by Androsphinx »

"what huge and loathsome abnormality was the Sphinx originally carven to represent? Accursed is the sight, be it in dream or not, that revealed to me the supreme horror - the Unknown God of the Dead, which licks its colossal chops in the unsuspected abyss, fed hideous morsels by soulless absurdities that should not exist" - Harry Houdini "Under the Pyramids"

"The goal of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Ruskin, "Stones of Venice"
acesand8s
Padawan Learner

Post by acesand8s »

Were the Finns really that brutal an opponent in OTL? Is this just one of those isolated incidents that will happen or are we just seeing another impact of the extended war in TBO? I've spent a fair amount of time on the Axis History Forum (forum. axishistory. com) and they give the impression that the Finns fought a very clear war (and not just by the standards of the Eastern Front). While they might be biased because of the rather significant number of Finns on the board, they have a strong Holocaust research group and they don't strike me a team that would simply whitewash history.
"Typical Canadian wimpiness. That's why you have the snowball and we have the H-bomb." Grandpa Simpson
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

acesand8s wrote:Were the Finns really that brutal an opponent in OTL? Is this just one of those isolated incidents that will happen or are we just seeing another impact of the extended war in TBO? I've spent a fair amount of time on the Axis History Forum (forum. axishistory. com) and they give the impression that the Finns fought a very clear war (and not just by the standards of the Eastern Front). While they might be biased because of the rather significant number of Finns on the board, they have a strong Holocaust research group and they don't strike me a team that would simply whitewash history.
This is one of the questions that is hard to get an absolute answer on. The immediate information, ie the easily accessible stuff, is contradictory. Basically, the Finns claim they were as pure as the driven snow while the Russians claim the Finns were no better than the Germans. Now, there is very little doubt that a number of war crimes were committed by Finnish troops - simply because the Finnish Army tried and convicted a number of members of their Army for precisely those crimes. That's a double-barrelled piece of evidence, it proves that such crimes did take place but also that they were not approved at a high level.

There is one recorded case of a Finnish unit wiping out a Russian field hospital. Again, accounts differ, the Russian version is that the Finns took the place and killed everybody inside, the Finnish claim is that the patients and medical staff were fighting from within the building. Again, while the fact of the incident isn't denied, there is no evidence to suggest that it was standard Finnish practice.

What's depicted in this section of the story is a specific incident, there's no indication it was Finnish policy, deliberate or what. Given the circumstances of the attack, essentially a rear area raid, it's more than possible that troops got out of control and were operating on autopilot - their orders were to do as much damage to the headquarters as possible and they simply didn't stop to think. Without giving way to spoilers, this incident isn't over yet; its consequences rebound and reappear later in the story.

Another point is that the general escalation of brutality in the TBOverse WW2 (inevitable as the war progresses and exacerbated by the fact that the focus of the war is on the Russian Front where everybody behaved at their worst) has meant that nobody doubts what happened or that it was a deliberate act of policy. That may be an injustice or not, but nobody stopped to ask.

The TBOverse history of the Third Canadian Infantry Division is actually taken from the battles of Imphal and Kohima in India; the infiltration, slicing up the defensive forces into small hedgehogs etc are all features of that battle. So was the massacre in the hospital.

As a final note, as I have said, Finnish behavior in OTL WW2 is very much a matter of who one talks to and, frankly, I'd believe the Russians rather than the Finns. That's a matter of personal choice. The fact that some Finnish officers were convicted of war crimes is pretty strong proof that such crimes did take place. The massacre of the RCAMC unit on the Kola Front is one of those. Whether it was a commonplace event or not, keep reading the story.,.......
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

acesand8s wrote:Were the Finns really that brutal an opponent in OTL? Is this just one of those isolated incidents that will happen or are we just seeing another impact of the extended war in TBO? I've spent a fair amount of time on the Axis History Forum (forum. axishistory. com) and they give the impression that the Finns fought a very clear war (and not just by the standards of the Eastern Front). While they might be biased because of the rather significant number of Finns on the board, they have a strong Holocaust research group and they don't strike me a team that would simply whitewash history.
You know the saying about bad friends now? It's very relevant here. Allying with Nazi Germany, Finland mimiqued some of it's practices of occupation - concentration camps and ethnic cleansing. Namely, during the Finnish occupation of Karelia.

The first concentration camp for Slavs, including women and children, was created in Petrozavodsk, 24 Oct. 1941.

Those camps were merely a milder form of ethnic cleansing than the German ones. To those wishing for documents on the matter, I recommend Helge Seppälä's "Finland as Occupier, 1941-1944", which deals with the Finnish occupation extensively.

The camp inmate numbers:
* 13 400 — 31 Dec, 1941
* 21 984 — 1 Jul, 1942
* 15 241 — 1 Jan, 1943
* 14 917 — 1 Jan, 1944

In total 13 camps were set up in occupied Karelia, and total inflow was 30,000 men. This were not POW, but civilian population camps. POW camps were also created in 1941.

On 17 April 1942, V.Voionmaa, a Finnish Seim deputee, wrote in his letter home: "...from the 20,000 population of Eenislinn, 19,000 civilians are in camps and 1,000 free. The rationing for camp inmates can't be lauded - two-day old horse corpses. Russian children seek through the trash to find any food remains, thrown out by Finnish soldiers. What would the Genua Red Cross say were they informed about this..."

Due to bad rationing, death rates in Finnish camps were high. According to the Finnish own data, 4 000 died, 90% of them in 1942.

The inmates of Finnish c/c used the labour of 15-year olds, in Kutizhma the age was as low as 14. Work day was 18-19 hours of intense labour, starting at 7 in the morning.

Because men from Karelia were mass-drafted into the Army in the first days of the war and little of them remained, the camp labour was forced on women and children.

After the Germans were defeated at Stalingrad, the Finns started paying compensations 3-7 finnish marks to the camp inmates. Of course, to the 4,000 who were already dead didn't really find that good.

One especially brutal camp was camp #2 (unofficially nicked "death camp" by the inmates, since dissenters and rebels were sent there) - and it's commandant, Solovaara, whom the USSR demanded to convict as a war criminal. In 1942, the practice of beating inmates to death to terrorize other inmates was spread in the camp.

A photo of one of the camps:
It was made in Petrozavodsk by a war corresponent, Galina Sanko, during it's liberation. It was used in the Nuremberg materials.

Also, according to the Extraordinary Commission on Occupation Crimes, finns used slave labour - in lesser amounts than the Germans, and not in industry, but in agriculture.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Androsphinx
Jedi Knight

Post by Androsphinx »

"what huge and loathsome abnormality was the Sphinx originally carven to represent? Accursed is the sight, be it in dream or not, that revealed to me the supreme horror - the Unknown God of the Dead, which licks its colossal chops in the unsuspected abyss, fed hideous morsels by soulless absurdities that should not exist" - Harry Houdini "Under the Pyramids"

"The goal of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Ruskin, "Stones of Venice"
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Androsphinx
Jedi Knight

Post by Androsphinx »

Winter Warriors 31

General LeMay appears, and things do not look good for our friends at Kola ...

Androsphinx
Jedi Knight

Post by Androsphinx »

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Question that just occured to me; what happened to the US X-plane series in the TBOverse? In reality it was going strong through the X-2 series, then the higher/faster push all got concentrated into the X-15, which was fairly successful but then nothing but a few measely lifting bodies.

Presumably the TBOverse US had a rather more active experimental aircraft program through the 70s and 80s, since they developed and deployed all that high supersonic/hypersonic/spaceplane technology and had rather less computer simulation resources than OTL (though presumably more high-speed wind tunnels).
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Starglider wrote:Question that just occured to me; what happened to the US X-plane series in the TBOverse? In reality it was going strong through the X-2 series, then the higher/faster push all got concentrated into the X-15, which was fairly successful but then nothing but a few measely lifting bodies.

Presumably the TBOverse US had a rather more active experimental aircraft program through the 70s and 80s, since they developed and deployed all that high supersonic/hypersonic/spaceplane technology and had rather less computer simulation resources than OTL (though presumably more high-speed wind tunnels).
The X-plane series will be going strong although I think it will take a different route. After the mid-1960s, a lot of effort will be placed on re-entry technology and techniques while from the mid-1970s onwards and equal amount will be placed on the new turboscrams and other approaches to get a runway-launched aircraft that can make it into earth orbit. That's a hard technology feat that (as we saw in High Frontier) takes almost 20 years concentrated work by both Russian and American scientists working together to achieve. After its done in 1986, it takes more than another decade to productionize the engines and get in-service aircraft that can get upwards. All that effort will be supported by X-planes so there's likely to be quite a lot of them.
Androsphinx
Jedi Knight

Post by Androsphinx »

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

ZShade
Jedi Knight

Post by ZShade »

Twist the World and Ride the Wind

Cybertron's Finest - Justice League - Mecha Maniacs
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

The printed version of The Great Game is available for sale HERE. Differs somewhat from the original online version. The Amazon page should be up shortly.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Congragulations.

I'll be picking it and Anvil of Anvil of Necessity by feb. Stuart, did you ever decide on if we can get these things autographed?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Ace Pace wrote:Congragulations.

I'll be picking it and Anvil of Anvil of Necessity by feb. Stuart, did you ever decide on if we can get these things autographed?
The only way I can think of doing it is for somebody to mail a copy to me and I'll mail the signed version back. I could supply one to order I suppose; I'll look into that.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Hmn, will have to coordinate with someone about that, seeing as how that would include international postage.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |