Ganglands

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Ganglands

Post by Darth Ruinus »

So I wrote this thing early today and wanted to know what people think about it. So, here goes (its kinda long and I think I got all the grammar errors)

Gripping his reins tightly K urged his horse to go faster.

Ahead of him, he could see his destination. A small abandoned town, dilapidated, old, worn, dirty and rotten, it loomed ahead of him. Straining his eyes through the sweat that fell down his brow, and thought the low light of early morning, he could make out the small smokestacks atop the factories. Black plumes had recently begun to spew out of them.

“Hi-yah!”

Alongside him rode 8 other men, 2 of them surging forward, their horse younger and stronger than his. The 3-legged creatures carried their riders forward, easily striding along the desert with their long muscular legs. Farther to the right and left he could see the other groups of riders, the other hired gunmen, together all the men and their horses kicked up dust in the wind, large trails that would direct any eye within a few miles towards them.

K decided to slow down and separate himself from the rest. Still, he knew that he had to get to that town; he had to make as much money as he could, otherwise…

It was an easy plan, simple and smart enough for the occasion. Their town, once known as Galgas to people who had long since let or died, was now the new hideout for a rather large gang that had been harassing the town and traders nearby. Placed at the end of a jagged cliff, there was no way for anyone in the town to try to escape, trapped between K and his companions and the cliff behind them. The job would be over quick, and the cool 80,000 dollar reward would be split amongst the survivors.

And now, speeding headfirst into the town and the gang within, along with whatever weaponry they had with them, K was having doubts. Too much was unknown about the gang’s size and armament, this is why he separated himself from the people alongside him, it made him too much of a target, bunched together like that.

I still can’t see the damn town clearly enough…K thought. He wanted to know what was waiting for him and the group, so they could prepare.
Almost at this moment the sun appeared. Directly behind the town. As the rays of light from that baking sun suddenly hit his eyes, he could not help but look away, his eyes slightly hurt.

Temporarily blinded by the sun, the accursed sun, the group wasn’t able to see the men that were on the rooftops, taking aim at them. That’s when the shit hit the fan.

The 2 riders ahead of the group never had a chance to appreciate the clever placement of the town, or their own stupidity for not noticing earlier, as they were suddenly hit by the rounds of lead from various automatic rifles. The bullets ripping apart their bodies, tearing holes and softening up their figures, the horses underneath faring no better, the momentum of their hasty ride carried them forward and their falls and speed literally caused them to break apart. Slamming into the ground, pieces of flesh, bone, blood and organs that were once the forward riders started flying in every which way. The men behind them, still reeling from the blinding sun and some unfortunate enough to breath in some blood, dust or flesh, attempted to piece together what has just happened, when the gang inside the town opened fire. As bullets whizzed past them, slamming into the ground at their horses feet or the horses themselves, confusion and fear dancing across their mind, one of the riders was hit by a sniper’s bullets, his head exploding like an overripe melon, his horse running out from under him.

K gripped the reins on his horse tighter, and curled his other hands around the VyrmMill HAG-170 that was securely strapped to his back, and his legs around the horse beneath him. The twin barreled gun, an old model he picked up in his earlier travels, could send a heavy 76.2 mm high explosive anti armor round at amazing speeds but took a hell of a long time to load.

Luckily I loaded it up this morning.

He swung the large gun around, and placed it firmly in front of him. With this other hands, he tugged at the reins again, and his horse obediently stopped and knelt down.

K scanned the scene for a target. Now closer to the town, he could see some of the gangsters on the rooftops firing on the incoming gunmen, but none of them were enough of a target to warrant his HAG’s main gun.
However, a large tower caught his eye, one that sported several windows where protrusions jutted out of. Narrowing his vision onto the tower he saw that the protrusions were actually the barrels of several machine guns, which thrashed around and around as they fired on the gunmen as they advanced.

K took aim and fired. The recoil from the gun nearly knocking him off his horse, releasing a nearly deafening bang and picking up a cloud of dust a few feet high the HAG’s 76.2 mm shell punched right into the tower’s support structure, its explosion simply tearing it apart. As the tower toppled over, creaking its old rusty metal sound, it plowed right into a building that several gunmen were standing atop, and took itself, them and the building down into ruin.

As everyone noticed the machine gun tower go down, the gunmen accompanying K reacted first. They took the temporary lapse in fire to send some of their own rounds at the gangsters for a change. Taken off guard by sudden destruction of their tower and by the large amounts of fire they were taking from the attackers, several gangsters were killed where they stood, and the rest fell back deeper into the old town. It was a few seconds later when the gunmen had finally reached the town and the fighting began anew.

One of the gunmen rode up to K and gave him a pat on the back, letting out a long whistle he grinned a toothy grin. “That’s sum gun you got there, noice shootin.”

K looked back, at the way they came in from. He saw the remains of the 3 riders that had died on their way here. He silently cursed himself and everyone on the team for not noticing the placement of the town, or bothering to find more info on the gang. It had cost them 3 men already. “We still have more to kill.” He replied.

The man beside him smiled, his eyes going bright, “And money to make! Let’s get them sumabitches!”

Inside the town the gangster had dug themselves in, and were not about to get captured or killed easily. Already they had lost their machine gun turret and a few men in the blast, and as such the town had erupted in an old style up close and personal shoot out, neither side being far away from each other now.

The gunmen however, had learned that the gangsters still had some serious weaponry, when a few of them had been torn to shreds as they entered the town through the main road. Very quickly did the main road become a serious killing field. As K and the fellow gunman rode into town, they saw several gunmen crouching behind an over turned wagon, occasionally popping up from behind their cover to fire on some gangsters who were using the high ground provided by the various second story buildings. The man beside K took out a silvery white revolver and placed a very well aimed shot through a very exposed gangster’s head. Seeing his target drop dead, the gunman brandished 7 more revolvers, holding them high in his multiple arms, riding madly into town, firing all of them in rapid succession at any more exposed gangsters. K followed him, and used his own HAGs under-slung machine gun to suppress any of the gangsters who had started to peek out of their cover. He could swear he heard someone say something behind him, but was distracted when the gunman ahead of him suddenly exploded. His body and his horse’s body were suddenly splattered upwards, the sickening ripping, squishing, tearing, crunching sound of his body being destroyed overwhelmed with the loud bang of the small explosive.

Mines!

Before K could react any further, his own horse was shredded by a mine. He felt the dizzying sensation of flying up high into the sky, and then slamming back into the ground with a loud and painful thud. Fortunately his horse had taken most of the blunt of the attack and had saved K from a similar fate.

As K attempted to pick himself up, his ears ringing and his sight blurry, he could slightly hear and feel the bullets whizzing past him, hitting the ground around him. All round him, bullets and the blood and guts of the gunman, his horse and K’s horse began to rain down on him, covering him in disgusting remains of once living creatures. Still dazed, he suddenly felt something wrap around him, a hand around his collar. As he was pulled off the street, K looked up and readied himself for a fight, expecting to see a gangster above him. He looked up, and was face to face with another gunmen, who was trying to tell him something.

Unfortunately, he could not hear a word of it, the ringing in his ears still hadn’t died down.

He saw another figure pop up from behind a barrel carrying his own HAG, took aim and fired. K and the man above him barely had time to cover their ears, and looked over at the building where the gunmen were firing on them. They looked just in time to see the other man’s HAG round punch right into the building and detonate, completely leveling the second floor of that old building, and showering the area with debris. Again, a rain of blood, guts, and this time wood splinters, showered down on them.

The man above him let out a cheer, and K looked at the pieces of what was once his trusty old horse.

Fucking bastards, you’ll pay for that.

Anger ran up his spine, but it was suddenly overshadowed by fear as an armored car appeared from around the corner. Adorned with the gang’s symbol, a macabre red skull with nails through its sides, and outfitted with a heavy repeating machine gun in the back compartment, it screeched to a halt as it saw K and the men around him. Perhaps the men in the car thought K dead, since he was lying on the ground, perhaps it was just luck and they missed, whatever the case, K urged himself closer to the ground as the 4 barreled turret let loose with thousands of rounds. They slammed into the men and walls around him, he could feel their blood as it splattered on his coat and hat, on the walls and on the floor, and was hit by the occasional splinter from the nearby walls that were being reduced to nothing. Once the firing stopped he reached for his own gun, took aim and...

*Click.*

Shit!
Last edited by Darth Ruinus on 2008-04-07 02:47pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yes, I'm interested in reading more :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Sure, Ill see what I can do.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

K’s eyes widened in horror when he remember that he hadn’t reloaded the main barrel of his gun, they widened even more as the men in the armored car noticed his movement, and aimed the barrel at him again. In that short time that it took for the machine gun to warm up and fire, K was gone. Running into the alleyways, he suddenly came face to face with a gun barrel. He closed his eyes and waited the inevitable.

“Whaccit! Nearly shot you I did” K opened his eyes and saw 3 other men there with him.

“What’s going on? Where is everyone?” K asked.

"We dont know." One of the men in the back spoke up, his face worn and tired. He looked as if he would die from the heat and exhaustion before he would die from bullets.

“These sons of bitches are more organized than I thought. Mines, HAGs and fucking armored cars! No wonder the goddamn reward was so high!”

“Armored cars? You guys saw those too?”

“Yeah, back when there were 12 of us.”

A silence hung over the crowd. One of the men fidgeted. K looked at the gunman, a young boy, maybe half of K’s age. He had his arms in a bandage, some of them hanging limply at his side, nearly severed off. He saw K’s state, and grinned, “One of those douche-fags had a knife with him, nearly took my arms.” Attempting to make the situation a bit lighter, one of the older men patted him on the back, “You’re lucky he didn’t take your manhood.”

“Why, you wanted some?”

The sound of gun fire and the menacing roar of the armored car’s engine interrupted them. Wherever it was, it was close.

“Alright,” the older one announced, more to himself than to the group, “we stick together, find any survivors, get these sumabitches and we all go home rich.”

A wave of approval and nods went around the group. “Ok, you,” he pointed a finger at K, “you got the biggest gun here, and we are going to need it against that armored car an- is that thing loaded?”

“What? Oh, right.” K reached into his backpack, and took out a new round, ejected the old canister from the main gun and loaded up the new one. “All set.”

“Ok, let’s move.”

They walked down the road, jumping at any sound or hint of movement around them, their guns at the ready. The sounds of gunfights still filled the air, but as time wore on there were less and less of them. None of them knew if this was a good thing or a bad thing. “I wonder who else made it? Do you think Riff made it?” “I hopes so.” K stopped to wipe off some sweat on his face. It was way too hot and all the excitement was making him sweat way too much, if this didn’t finish soon, one way or another he would be dead.

As the men ahead of him turned the corner, one of the doors leading to the alleyway burst open, a crazed gangster jumping out, revealing a personal flamethrower in his grip. Before any of the gunmen could react the gangster raised the flamer and fired. Deadly flames washed over the group, and K was too stunned to do anything but watch as the flames ate away at their flesh, boiling skin flying off their bodies as they writhed in pain.

The sound of their flesh as it was cooked and sizzled would probably haunt K for the rest of his life.

One of the men stumbled out of the inferno, and walked over to K, who had not been noticed by the gangster. The man, who could only be in intense pain and nearly half dead, stumbled over to K, dragging his feet and leaving a trail of fire and boiled skin where he walked.

K did what he felt was right and put a bullet through the man's head, killing him instantly. He then turned the gun on the gangster, who had turned to see where the gunshot had just come from. K had the satisfaction of seeing the gangster's face as he realized that he was fucked and happily pulled the trigger that fired his HAG's under-slung rifle and sprayed bullets into the gangster's body.

One of the bullets hit something it shouldn't have, because as the gangster was riddled with bullets, the flamer erupted into a large blinding hot ball of flames, engulfing the gangster and several nearby buildings. The old dusty worn down buildings never stood a chance, and combined with the heat from the sun, they simply erupted into flames of their own, their building material fueling the fire. K drew back from the scene, it would only attract more people this way and the heat was not good for his health.

He stumbled back, suddenly feeling very hot under his poncho and hat. He had stopped sweating, which alarmed him to almost no end. He reached around his bag for water, or hoping that he still had a barnacle on him that had survived. When he wrapped his fingers around something he didn't have the chance to wonder what it was, because at that moment one of the nearby windows suddenly shattered open. Shards of glass and pieces of the wooden frame came flying out, along with several long fingers which wrapped themselves around K's body and dragged him into the nearby building.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Whoooooooooooops! That's never a good thing!

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
FA Xerrik
Padawan Learner

Post by FA Xerrik »

This is quite good. Did you make up the setting yourself, or does it take place in an existing universe?
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

FA Xerrik wrote:This is quite good. Did you make up the setting yourself, or does it take place in an existing universe?
Thanks.

I made it up myself, at first as a joke idea, but then I started liking the idea of squids in a wild westernish setting. I have drawings of the main characters on this board. Well, at least of K, and another character that shows up later.

FA Xerrik
Padawan Learner

Post by FA Xerrik »

They're squid?! How did I miss that?
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

FA Xerrik wrote:They're squid?! How did I miss that?
I dunno man.

"With this other hands, he tugged at the reins again, and his horse obediently stopped and knelt down."

"the gunman brandished 7 more revolvers, holding them high in his multiple arms,"

"He had his arms in a bandage, some of them hanging limply at his side, nearly severed off."

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

0_0

Dude... I missed it too.

FA Xerrik
Padawan Learner

Post by FA Xerrik »

What the cluck? Well, shame on me then for somehow missing that. There it is, after all. I did see the other thread where you posted this idea awhile back, thought it was awesome. Hmm... rather embarrassing really.
clone1051
Youngling

Post by clone1051 »

I caught the part about lots of arms, but I thought they were just some kind of aliens. I was picturing them as 8-armed humans...

Can you post a link to the drawings?
When in trouble, use the SHIT method:
Stop what you're doing
Hide the evidence
Implicate others
Tell no one

Join the Empire today! http://www.empirereborn.net/
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Sure, Here are the squid men!

Only 2 pictures of them, the rest are drawings I did for something else. I am planning of putting up a drawing of K and his horse though.

Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

K slammed into the cold, dusty floor as he was violently pulled into the decayed building. He fumbled around, the wind knocked out of his lungs and the exhaustion wearing him down. He looked up in time to meet a curled fist, which painfully slammed into his face. The punch nearly knocked him off his feet, but it was the follow up punch, which struck him in the side, that did it. He fell on a table, knocking it over and toppling several nearby chairs. He could hear this assailant walking over to, and he wrapped his fingers around one of the chairs lying beside him. He swung the chair around as hard and as fast as he could, and his effort was rewarded by the satisfying smash as the chair met dead on with the gangsters body, breaking apart on his body with a terrifying force. A small cloud of dust formed around the impact area, and K was sure the gangster was knocked out, but was only surprised when the gang member emerged through the dust, as if nothing had happened.

Before K could react, the gang member threw his fingers around K’s throat, intent on strangling him and knocking him over. As K fell over, he placed his own fingers over the gangster’s, coiling them as tightly as he could, hoping to break the man’s grip. He struggled and struggled, but the grip around his throat did not lessen, it intensified. More and more of the man’s fingers wrapped around K’s body, as if he wanted to crush all of K in one go.

K knew he couldn’t survive any longer, the exhaustion, the heat, the lack of air; all of them were working against him. He grasped around him, trying to find anything to use against the man atop of him, and several of his fingers reached the edges of discarded beer bottles and pieces of old wood. He grabbed on to as many as he could and brought them down into the gangster’s face. 1 beer bottle smashed against his face, and then another, then a third, a fourth, a fifth and a sixth, and the man above him still stood.

Why doesn’t this bastard go down?!

Then K saw his eyes. Behind the blood and puss that was dripping from the gangsters head, behind the shards of glass and splinters lodged in his skin, and beyond the nasty grin on the man’s face he could see his skin. Dry and cracked, almost as dead as the deserts outside. A heat addict.

A heat addict!

K felt anger boil up inside him. He loathed heat addicts; he loathed them with a passion. The anger threatened to burn him alive, something the desert and fire outside had failed to do. Over and over in K’s mind was the idea that he would be killed by a fucking heat addict, the lowest people in the entire world. The anger fueled him, and gave him the strength he needed.

He pried off the man’s grip, then with his other hands he got his own grip around his face, and head butted him. The impact on his head disoriented him, and some of the splinters and shards of glass cut him too, probably leaving scars. But the need to survive, adrenaline and anger kept him focused. With the man now off of him K stood up and delivered an uppercut square into the man’s jaw, then another punch which knocked him down. K saw his chance and took it. He reached out and grabbed a heavy looking piece of wood, probably a leg chair, stood over his attacker and brought down the club on him. The strike was astounding; the floor boards underneath the man visibly shook and cracked as the club went straight through the gangsters opened mouth. The club forced itself through his mouth, shattering teeth and ripping apart gums as it then tore through the back of the man’s throat. His body twitched slightly, and a gurgling was heard from the throat, but the man was finally dead.

K stood up and tried to take the club with him, he could find some use for it, but found that it was firmly lodged in the floorboard underneath.

K, tired and thirsty, rummaged through his bag. He took out a canteen full of water, and drank the whole thing. This small canteen had cost him 5,000 dollars, but it was well worth it. He drank it with fervor and splashed some of it across his face. Feeling revitalized he went over and picked up his gun, inspected it and slung it over his shoulder.

He could still hear gunfire from outside, and was starting to smell more smoke and fire than before, and the dreaded sound of the armored car told him that this job was far from over.

K reloaded his HAG’s main barrel, checked the magazine still in the underslung rifle and headed out of the building, and into the alleyway.

He avoided anymore trouble, most of the gangsters probably dead, or hiding. He thought about the rest of the men that were here with him and assumed the worst. Maybe each side had its numbers trimmed, and everyone was now in a dangerous game of hide and seek. Maybe the gang was dead and his fellow gunmen had left, thinking him dead.

Or perhaps he was the only one alive.

It didn't matter, K was not going to get himself killed, and that made him cautious. After wandering around the town for a few minutes, he had discovered a few things. The first was that the bastard he had killed a while ago, the one he had set aflame with his own flamer, was making more trouble in death than in life. The fires from his corpse and fuel pack had spread to more buildings than K had previously thought, and a whole section of the town was now on fire, with the fires not showing any signs of leaving.

The second thing he had discovered, was that no one was in town. He saw corpses, and pieces of bodies, signs of battles and discared weapons, but no one alive.

Shit, everyone is gone. I wonder if they went back to town and collected the pay?

K felt a pang of disappointment, all this work, and no money reward at the end? It was unfair, it was injustice, it was--

?

That wasn't there before.

Hanging from a lampost in the town's center were bodies of several of the gunmen he had taken this job with. Strung up by rope and their own fingers, their bodies torn up from beatings and machine gun fire, they still reeked of death. Flies still hovered around their bodies.

Damn...

K heard a faint whistling, almost like a...

Shit.

K tried to move, to dodge, but wasn't fast enough. His world exploded in a fury around him.

Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

EDIT: I gave this thing a title.

clone1051
Youngling

Post by clone1051 »

Ouch. An RPG/missile to the back is never good...:lol:
(At least, that's what I thought it was)

This is good. Is there more, or is that it?
When in trouble, use the SHIT method:
Stop what you're doing
Hide the evidence
Implicate others
Tell no one

Join the Empire today! http://www.empirereborn.net/
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

clone1051 wrote:Ouch. An RPG/missile to the back is never good...:lol:
(At least, that's what I thought it was)

This is good. Is there more, or is that it?
If people keep asking me to make more, then I will.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

More set in the same universe, maybe... but I think K is dead.

Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

LadyTevar wrote:More set in the same universe, maybe... but I think K is dead.
Or so you think!

Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

“Then what happened mister?”

The children huddled around in closer, their eyes shining expectantly, eager to hear the end of the tale.

K slumped back into this chair, grimacing slightly as his bandaged body touched the stiff wooden chair. He sipped down some of his barnacle juice, trying to hold back his urge to vomit. The barnacles were useful, no one can deny that, but their waste tasted horrible. And any medicine that was made with barnacle juice was almost always guaranteed to induce nausea and vomiting.

Medicine is medicine.

K finished up his cup and looked down at the children again, each of them still waiting to hear the end of his gruesome story. It slightly helped him, he thought, to talk about it. Talking to the kids, he felt slightly less guilty about the whole thing. He sighed.

“Look kids, how many times have I told this story already? This is the 3rd time? Haven’t you heard it enough times?”

One of the children took no time in replying, “No, we want to hear it again!” This caused a round of agreement with the children, each of them wanting to hear how K, the big badass gunman had survived being hit with a HAG round and still managed to not only kill the rest of the gang, but also walk the 23 miles back here to town. The kids were crazy, the touched his jacket, they looked at this gun, they poked his injuries.

“Leave him alone, K has already been through enough. Go home.” A new voice called out from deeper within the room. It was Liddimus, the towns’ only gunsmith and the only certified bounty trader and collector in a few miles. He walked over to K, and gave one last glare at the children still at K’s feet. “Go home.” He repeated. A few of the children mumbled a few curses and walked out. One of them, still too stubborn to leave, simply planted his feet down and crossed his arms. K looked at the kid, who gave no signs of leaving without hearing the end of the story.

“Go home, I will tell you the end later.”

The child seemed to weight the truth of K’s promise, and finally deciding that it was sincere, he slowly walked out of the shack that was the gunsmith.

Seeing the child leave, Liddimus turned to K, and handed him a check.

“A check? Where’s the money?”

Liddimus shrugged, and scratched his chin. “Do you expect this little run down shithole to just have 80 Vals just sitting around? No, you have to go cash this in at the next town over.”

Shit, it’s my day isn’t it?

“Fine, isn’t the nearest town over even farther than Galgas? How do you propose I get there?” K was starting to think about his options, maybe he could go rent or buy a horse at the stables? Are there any trains going in that direction?”

Liddimus scratched his chin again, “I doubt it will be a problem. Something will come up. Now,” he started towards his small bedroom behind his store, “if you will excuse me, I need to get some sleep. You can stay here if you want, just mind the merchandise.”

He closed the door behind him, leaving K alone in the room. K settled into his chair once more, the wounds not bothering him as much. “I might as well get some sleep.” He muttered to himself. He started falling asleep faster than he though the would.

The medicine must be doing it's job.

K yawned, and stood up, making sure to lock the door before he did fall asleep. He didn't want to leave the door wide open for thieves and criminals now did he? He sat back into the chair, his thoughts wandering here and there. He thought about his pay, and what he would do with it. He considered buying another horse, but thought better of it. It would do his old horse no service if he replaced it so soon. He could buy a new gun, or at least some upgrades, but thought better of that one too. There were more pressing matters on his mind.

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Oh man, this is great. The Wild West Squips panned out! :D
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

No one could miss the train; even the blind could miss that beast.

As tall as a 3 story building, and almost twice that width, the large behemoth that was the Indomitable Line was as visually imposing as it was armored. Its hull was so thick it is said that these types of trains can take a round from a tank and keep going; every other car had an anti-personnel turret attached to the top, and the forward and back locomotives also housed a large main gun. The passenger cars were placed in between each armed car, and near the back, freighter cars were probably the most armed areas of the entire contraption. It was always guarded by a full security staff of 42 men, each armed with HAG weaponry.

As it charged its way down the tracks into the train station, jets of smoke spewing from its locomotive cars, its brakes engaged, releasing angry red sparks and bringing the thousands of tons of steel and iron that made up the bulk of the train to a screeching halt. At the high speeds it was traveling at, the train took a few minutes to slow down and then lazily pull into the train station. Its passenger cars opened and its retractable staircases were lowered, allowing the entirety of the passenger cars disembark in almost no time at all. As this occurred, the freight cars were being unloaded by a massive crane into another train, and some of them being lowered into an underground storage area, where the contents were divided into the town’s supplies, the various shopkeepers goods, or ordered merchandise belonging to various private citizens. The entire train station was alive with an almost constant sound of conversation, the whining sound of the crane’s gears as it moved and struggled to lift the heavy containers and of course the sounds produced from other trains as they entered and left the station.

As K there, his ticket firmly in his pocket and his gun and equipment secured behind his back, he could not help but stare at the colossal engine in front of him. One of the security guards, walking up to take his shift on the train, saw him and grinned “A beauty ain’t she? No one short of the army can take these things out.”

K nodded, looking at all the guns and armor on the machine. “Why do the railroads need these things though? If they are as tough as you say, then what’s the need? Seems like a waste of cash to me.”

The guard nodded, “Seems like a waste to most, ‘cept most ain’t seen a worm up close either. Pesky critters cost the company big bucks, after theys kept eatin’ some of our other trains.”

K gave the guard a disbelieving look, “I’ve heard about worms, though I’ve never seen one or bothered to sort out the truth from myth, but, can they really eat trains? Even the armored ones?”

The guard raised some of his fingers in a sigh, “Would they really dish out 15 million for one of these trains if the worms couldn’t eat trains?”

“15 MILLION!” K almost shouted, a few heads turned at him, but the people kept on walking.

“Yessir. 15 mil. Saves ‘em money. And less people turn to food. Have a nice ride.” And with that, he walked up the ramp that lead to the guard’s car and appeared a few seconds later behind one of the anti-personnel turrets.

Shit, I wonder why they eat trains.

K shrugged off the thought; it didn’t matter, from the looks of things, and from what the guard had just told him, he wouldn’t need to worry about any worms showing up. Or any gangsters trying to raid the thing. Besides, he didn’t have time to think about it, as he was pushed unto the train by the crowd of people trying to get into the train.

The train ride was mind numbingly boring. K sat in his cabin for a full 15 minutes before the train got underway, and then a few minutes as it got up to full speed. He cabin was roomy enough though, which was a great thing, since he was about to spend the next 12 hours here.

12 hours! 1 hours in a small room, with no action and just watching sand go by!

K had been quite disappointed when he learned that his destination was in fact 3 times the distance than he had originally thought, and with no horse, fucking bastards, his only choices were walk the 172 miles in the middle of the biggest heat wave in history, or go by train. He had seriously considered walking, since it would save him money, but Liddimus convinced him to go by train. He purchased his ticket, and here he was now.

Oh, look, sand. More sand and more sand. Shit, maybe I should order one of those brothel girls?

Fuck it.

K placed his pack up against the armrests of his chair, laid back on his chair and knocked out. Shit, this can’t be good for my back…

K heard a faint whistling, almost like a...

Shit.

K tried to move, to dodge, but wasn't fast enough. His world exploded in a fury around him.

His world exploded around him as the shell knocked him off his feet, its faulty weak blast not harming him as much as the force of the shell slamming against his body. It fragmented improperly upon impact, only a few shards of its anti-personnel frag slashing its way across K’s body. The shell hit K head on, it should have been the end of him, but it wasn’t. By some remarkable twist of fate, the shell did not detonate properly, a vital part of the explosive was missing, probably due to some error in its manufacturing, but K would never know that. All he knew is that the shell hit him dead on, and suddenly, and almost in the same fashion that a man may casually strike down a twig in his path, K was on the desert floor, nearly snapped in two.

His face was bruised, he was bleeding from his mouth, such was the force that the shell hit him with. He was certain that he had lost a few teeth as the kick from the shell literally slammed him into the ground. His breathing was haggard, and he struggled to think, let alone try to move. With almost infinite struggle he was able to turn around, his eyes almost being blinded by the sun that still mockingly hung up high in the sky.
K felt like shit.

He felt like the shit that gets stepped on, gets wiped off the shoe without a second thought, and is then trampled again and again.

K felt like shit when it feels like shit.

He coughed up blood which only proceeded to arc slightly in the air and fall back into his face and mouth, he was sweating profusely, his body was in severe pain, his vision blurry and his ears killing him with their persistent ringing. He had survived, but he was sure that whoever had shot him would come by to finish the job, and silently cursed his fate. He had survived a full on HAG shell only to be killed a few seconds later.

Fuck, they better not get me with a pussy-small-shit pistol.

He didn’t hear the gangsters walk up to his body, the ringing in his ears wouldn’t allow it. He was caught completely off guard when the figures loomed over him, and one of them brought up a gun and aimed it to his face. K closed his eyes and…

He woke up. Sweat dripped down his body, and his mouth was dry. He wiped his face, clearing it of the sweat and also rubbing his eyes. He sat for a while, thinking back on how close he had come to dying on that last job, and remembered the other gunmen who had died. And for what?

Money?

K sat silently, the muffled sounds of the conversations from the next rooms over and the continuous sounds of the tracks as the train stampeded down them. A grin formed on his face, he reached into his pocket to look at his paycheck, just to count the zeroes again, to look at that 80,000 figure printed on that paper, which he would soon cash in and… and… he would be able to… wait, what?

Aw FUCK!

I’ve been robbed!
Last edited by Darth Ruinus on 2008-05-17 04:51pm, edited 2 times in total.

FA Xerrik
Padawan Learner

Post by FA Xerrik »

That was a bit confusing when you went from the train to his dream. Otherwise, good stuff. It's like Wild Wild West meets the Good, the Bad, and the Squidly.
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

80 vals!

With swift and silent movements, Ellimia darted away from the cabin where she had pick pocketed the sleeping man, expecting to find at least a few dollars, but never enough money to buy several horses, or at least a small car, or even better, a few gallons of real water. It has been a long time since she had drank real, natural water…

Ellimia held the check closer to herself, and placed it within one of the inner pockets of her dress, making sure it was secured before she looked around the train, making sure no one had seen her as she systematically broke into every room in this cabin, straightened out her dress, and calmly and slowly walked all the way back to her room, which was in the last car on the train.

She entered her room, closed her door, and sat down; she took out her check and looked at it again. A smile grew across her face as her eyes slowly crept across that 8, followed by the 4 zeroes. She read it again, and again, growing happier by the second. 80 vals! She thought as she leaned back in her room chair and closed her eyes, I could do a lot of stuff with 80 vals. She suddenly bolted upright when a knock came at her door, “Pardon the interruption Dama, but our destination is only a few minutes ahead.”

“Thank you prat, God blesses you.” She answered politely and smiled, just in case they were looking through the eyehole in the door. She smiled for a few seconds. Then, when she heard the shuffling of many feet signal that the man was no longer there, she looked over her check just one last time, and placed it into the folds of her dress.

“I can’t believe this shit!”

K was frantic, looking every which way in hopes of finding his check. Maybe it had fallen out of his pockets while he was asleep? Doubtful, maybe HE had lost it? Also doubtful, he clearly remembers putting it in his own pockets. So that ruled out misplacing it, and it falling out of his pocket. That means…

K mentally kicked himself for being so stupid. How could he have been so stupid as to have fallen asleep?

Yup, I have been robbed.

Alright K, if YOU have robbed someone, what would you be doing right now?

He sat down and thought. If I was a thief, were would I be? Well, if I was smart, I would to be able to get out of here if any shit went down. He sat up and went outside his cabin, where a few people were walking through the large hallways of the train, some talking and walking, other huddling around the food and drink cart. K walked up to one of the attendants that was walking around, and asked him how long until the train stops.

“Ah reckon,” the attendant started, looking at his watch, “that it will stop in a few minutes, maybe more.”

“How much is a few minutes?”

“Mahbe, 20?”

“Thank you.”

K turned and started towards the last car on the train. If any shit went down, it would be the best place to be.

The last passenger car was the least occupied one. Some people shuffled to and fro, mainly people who looked like they wanted to be in the least used car. The rumbling as the train barreled along its tracks could be heard thought it wasn’t much of a bother. K was walking around, eying each of the passengers that he did see, and surreptitiously checking their pockets when their backs were turned. He found a lot of useless stuff, some small change, a few guns, a knife in one occasion that cut his finger, but no 80,000 dollar check. He had already checked the second floor, only to be cautious. K was operating on the assumption that whoever had robbed him was smart, and a smart thief wouldn’t like being on second floors, since jumping out of a fast moving train is hard, jumping out of a fast moving train’s second floor is probably fatal.

The train was slowing down, anyone could tell that, which meant it must be getting ready to stop, which for K meant that someone was about to get out of this train with his check that he had nearly died for.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck.

He paced around the car for a while, and then bumped into someone.

“Watch where you are going bi-Oh, excuse me Dama.”

A Dama stood in front of him. She looked a lot younger than most Damas he had seen, but he didn’t pay much attention to that.

“Do not fret, young prat, it was only a mistake.”

And with that, the oddly young Dama went on her way, towards disembarking areas. Shortly after that, the train stopped, and the doors opened. People scurried out of their cabins and out of the train.

Ellimia quickly headed towards the disembarking area after he brief run in with the man she had just stolen from. She had been watching him for a while, noticing how he was checking the pockets of every person he had run into, probably looking to get his stolen check back. She had not planned to bump into him, but he was standing in the ways that lead towards the disembarking area, and had to get past him, otherwise she feared he would sooner or later find out she was the one who had robbed him. When he looked the most distracted, she made her way past him, but unfortunately bumped into him.

Luckily, he either did not suspect a Dama would be the one that had stolen from him, or he did not want to frisk a holy woman. Whatever the reason, soon after the train stopped, Ellimia quickly got out of the train. She walked as fast as she could through the train station, not bothering to even look back or stay around. She walked and walked and walked until she was far away from the train station, deep into the downtown area of the city, and one last time checked her pocket.

The check was…

“I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS SHIT, THE BASTARD ROBBED ME!”

A few hours later, in an old bar, K walked through the doors, let out a low whistle, and sat down. He ordered a drink, and gulped it down in one go. He looked around the bar, a real dive. No one looked in the least bit happy, and the stage was devoid of the dancing show girls.

K slapped the bar table, and waited for the bartender to show up.

“Bartender,” K said, “this place is making me feel down, how do you propose we liven it up?”

The bartender stroked his small beard, then said, in a slow drawl, “I suppose, if everyone was drunk, including the girls, we could get a big party going. But, there are lots of people here, and some of them don’t have the money to buy a few more drinks but-” He stopped short when he saw K slap down a few hundred dollars.

“Hey wait- what?” The bartender had never seen so much money at one time.

Across the table, K grinned, “There’s a lot more where that came from.”

5 hours later, the city sheriff and a few deputies showed up, citing noise complaints and an amazing amount of drunken debauchery.

A few minutes later, the sheriff and the deputies were also drunk, and partaking in the loud noises and drunken debauchery.

And the Dama Ellimia went home, down and defeated, and missing one 80,000 dollar check.

Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Re: Ganglands

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Argh. I remembered about this thing a while ago, and I wasn't very much satisfied with how I ended it, so decided to write a (what I hope is) better ending to this section. Since I can't delete the past few posts, I guess I'll just place it in a new post.

This occurs right after the words

So just ignore all the stuff with Liddimus, Ellimia and the train didn't occur at all. In other words, RETCON.

Dust, rocks, metal and fire accompanied K through his violent arc through the air. With a violent thud he crashed back into the ground, pieces of torn up dirt and some pavement raining down on him and the nearby area. Having all consciousness nearly knocked out of him, K crawled around the floor, feeling his way around with his hands, his eyesight temporarily gone. Grasping around, feeling nothing but pavement and dirt, K felt relief when his hands touched the familiar material that made up the grip on his HAG. Slowly he stood up, his eyesight slowly returning, but the ringing in his ears still as persistent as before. Swaying as he stood, checking over his gun and slowly shuffling forward, he noticed that pieces of clothing were starting to fall along with the other debris, the corpses he had seen a while ago also having been hit and torn apart by the blast.

As he turned back, a huge smoking crater was left, the remnant of the shell that had only narrowly missed him, black smoke rising up into the desert air, joining the choking fumes of the burning town which already mingled freely. Still feeling dazed, K did not immediately notice the plume of smoke suddenly disrupted by small objects that whizzed past him. Nor did he notice a muffled roar that was rapidly descending upon him. It was only when one of the bullets hit him square in the shoulder did he finally snap out of his daze.

FUCK! They’re still here!

Finally alert he was able to jump out of the way of a rampaging armored car that sped past him, narrowly missing the spiked armored grill at the front. Noticing it had not run down its opponent, the armored car began making wide turn down the street, with the gangster manning the mounted machine gun swiveling about to get a bead on K. Its machine gun came to life, vomiting hundreds of bullets at him, most being nowhere near him, the gunner’s aim thrown off by the armored car’s terrible speed as its wide turn led it to smash into many of the porches of the nearby buildings. Their decrepit supports smashed, entire front sections of various buildings came crashing down as the armored car finally completed the turn, once again barreling down the road towards K.

Raising his HAG K fired one round from the main barrel, the round smashing into the armored car, completely blowing open the left side of the hood, its armor plating not built to withstand the force that had just assaulted its frame. The satisfaction that K felt was then turned to horror as the armored car continued towards him. The round had also succeeded in causing the car to turn on its side, and soon it smashed on the ground, and began flipping over towards him, carried forward by its terrible speed and momentum. K turned heel and ran, in the only direction he could.

K didn’t need to turn his head to see if the car still flipped towards him, he could hear its crashing impacts as it continued along its course. Running towards a row of stores, K hoped he could jump into one; hopefully it would serve as enough protection to save him from being crushed. Unfortunately the commotion he had caused with the car had lured the rest of the gangsters towards him. Appearing from the second story balconies, the rooftops and from the first floor windows and doors, a swarm of gangsters began cheering. Laughing at K as he ran for his life, some of them taking shots at him, K, finally tired that he was being put on the defensive far too long. He began running towards the buildings and the gangsters with renewed speed, until he came right back to the crater in the center of the road. Jumping into it and hugging the ground as far as possible, the armored car passed over him safely, and the gangsters, who had been previously laughing at the lone man’s attempts to save himself, were suddenly tripping all over each other in their vain attempt to reach safety.

As soon as K heard the car slam into the building, he stood and began charging the gangsters. Readying his gun, he headed towards what was left of the first floor of the building. Here and there were the bloody smears of the men who were smashed underneath the weight of the armored car, some of them crawled along the floor, their limbs torn off, bleeding out their entrails. The front wall was entirely smashed in; the armored car had run through the old walls like they weren’t there. Spraying the survivors with bullets, K charged into the interior of the building, where he immediately took cover behind a table as a small fragmentation grenade rolled down the stairs. As he ducked and recoiled from the subsequent explosion that shook the room, K looked up at the ceiling, which, due to the flames from the burning town, the shock of the armored car and the grenade, and the time that had passed and worn down the wood, he simply aimed his gun up, and sprayed an entire clip into the roof, hoping a few of the rounds would have passed through and hit whoever was up there. Reloading, he hoped over his cover and threw one of his own grenades up the stairway. He smiled with glee as he heard the remaining gangsters shout out in fear, and their screams that followed. Running up, he caught sight of a room filled with about 8 men, most of which were already dead. Smiling, he was about to reach over to check the nearest one for any ammo or spare guns he could use, when the nearby door burst open, 3 gangsters entering and firing at random. K avoided their fire by propping up the nearby gangster as a shield, and finding his HAG to heavy to fire with his remaining hands, clutched a nearby pistol and fired at the men. Two of them went down in a few seconds, rounds hitting their foreheads and necks respectively. As one of the men slumped to the ground dead, and the other trashed about, attempting to stop the blood loss and trying to take in air, K charged the last one, slamming his gun into his face. The man however, did not have a glass jaw as K had hoped, and turned with the momentum of the blow to hit K with a punch that connected with his left cheek.

A small fight ensued, with K and the gangster trading punches and kicks, which ended when K threw the gangster to the other side of the room, when suddenly a rocket broke through the nearby windows and exploded in the center of the room, causing the already damaged building to shake violently.

Shit! This place is coming down!

K ran through to the door just as the room he was in collapsed in on itself.

“WOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

"Take that sumabitch!"

The building continued to collapse, leaving a huge open hole where it used to stand, taking the walls of the two nearby buildings with it.

Holy fuck.

K took a moment to collect his breath before peering around the collapsed wall that remained.

Another armored car was driving down the road. The same spiked grill dominated its front, much bigger than the other armored car, and with a flag attached to the back where an even larger mounted gun, one which seemed to have been specially modified to fit on the vehicle, menacingly stuck out. Unlike the other armored car, this one’s mounted gun had 4 barrels, which led K to believe it was the same model of gun that are used to scythe down entire groups of soldiers. Speaking of soldiers, slightly behind the armored car where gangsters so heavily armed that they might as well have been a small professional army.

K turned back into his cover, cursing his decision to go on this bloody mission in the first place.

This must be the head guy’s car. I just got to take out these last guys, and I go home.

K turned peeked around the wall again.

Right. Piece of cake.

He made a note of where the car was, and then took in the fact that they were coming at him at a leisurely pace. Reloading the main barrel of his gun, he tried to make a mental guess where he should fire, where he could aim to kill the most of them in one shot.

Ok. Ok I can do this--

K’s thoughts were cut short as another armored car careened down the opposite road, its mounted machine gun peppering the area around him with hundreds of rounds. K reacted by firing his main barrel in its general direction. K’s poorly aimed shot actually worked for him in this case, the round falling short of its target. However, the driver must have been startled by the enemy actually firing back, especially with such a powerful round. The car lost control, and continued down the road, where it crashed into the larger car with tremendous force.

*Beeeeeeeeeeep*

Unbeknownst to everyone else, but the driver of the larger car had been killed by the impact, his body slumped over the driver’s wheel, causing the car’s horn to continuously whine out loud, almost as if it was in pain. The other driver, from the smaller car, wasn’t wearing his seatbelt, and had been slammed into the small armored windows, amazingly smashing through the windows, and was propelled out of the car where he was thrown across the street, dead. The same car’s gunner had his head break open as it collided with the gun, and the larger car’s gunner only slightly reeling from the impact.
Everyone was too shocked by the recent turn of events to notice as K suddenly stood up, and ran and jumped with all his might towards the closest armored car, the smaller of the two. Landing on the body of the headless machine gunner, he swiveled the large gun around, and pointed it to the large group of men ahead of him.

Pressing down the trigger and moving the gun from side to side, the group of men was completely caught off guard. The ground was torn up under them as bullets slammed into the ground, their clothes and bodies ripped to shreds as the bullets ripped through their bodies, and a few of their grenades were accidentally set off. When the bullets ran out, and the machine gun cycled through its barrels with an empty whine, K winced as another grenade was set off in the group of men, showering the area with more dust, rocks, metal and fire.

Not missing a beat, K climbed off the armored car, and went over the other one, where the last gangster was still clutching his mouth, whimpering in pain and fear. Blood trickled down his mouth, through his hands and down his clothes. A few broken teeth could be seen all about the compartment, and when K grabbed the man by the neck, it could be seen that the gangster’s entire teeth and jaw was caved in, the source of his injury.

K sighed. This was the last gangster, and, since he was manning the largest car and the largest gun, had to be the leader of this group. He ignored the man’s pleading, muffled by his destroyed teeth, jaw, gums and tongue, and blew his head off with his gun.

As night settled in, the stars became much more visible; K sat underneath a very bare tree. All of his wounds tended to, with several more guns, grenades and ammunition courtesy of the dead gangsters and other gunmen, he took out a bottle of whiskey and took a long drink.

In the distance, he could see the town still on fire, smoke still rising, though now it blended it nicely with the dark sky. As he watched a few more buildings collapsed, dust and debris rising from their death throes.

An hour later the fires died down, and the town was almost completely destroyed.

K took another drink from his whiskey bottle.

Fuck.