Heroes

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Heroes

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Anyone else catch this show tonight?

Personally I liked it. It has alot of potential and the cast made it believable.

I guess we'll see how it pans out, but so far I'm a fan.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

I saw it, and I thought it was an interesting take on the superhero genre. I'll reserve my judgement until I see more, though.

EDIT: clarified "things."
Caius
Padawan Learner

Post by Caius »

Yeah I really think it is going to be a show where you need to get into the plot a bit more and see how they develop the characters.

Although after watching the first episode and the preview for the up coming episodes, I have to say I'm interested and hoping it actually turns out to be a good series.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I liked it, and the imagery of the eclipse as they started the show.

I wonder what's up with the woman's reflection.
Does the brother have powers too, or was he just there to trigger the would-be politico's?
How many others are out there?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Brother- Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Woman- pyscho kill everybody reflection
Cheerleader- flipping wolvierine level regen.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

LadyTevar wrote:Does the brother have powers too, or was he just there to trigger the would-be politico's?
How many others are out there?
I think that both brothers can fly, though its pretty badass that one of the emerging heroes is a congressman.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

It has potential up the ass, but the writing and the acting badly needs improvement. I hope a lot of what I saw was pilot-itits and not an indication of what to expect in the future. I was contemplating changing the channel through most of the middle half-hour.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I actually liked how it took its time introducing the main characters, myself.

Oh... shouldnt' this be in OtherSCIFI?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I liked it better when I saw it 2 years ago and they called it the 4400. :P

It was pretty good. The stuff with the cheerleader was pretty cool, though by the time she stuck her hand in the garbage disposal I was like "Ok, we get the point".
From what I read at AICN the next few episodes are as good as or better than the pilot, so I'll keep watching until it starts to suck or they cancel it.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

LadyTevar wrote:I actually liked how it took its time introducing the main characters, myself.

Oh... shouldnt' this be in OtherSCIFI?
I dunno, superhero stuff is generally in Fantasy, isn't it?
ImageImage
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

The writing needs some serious work. The opening crawl was fucking awful and borderline insulting and the Indian guy's speech was too heavy-handed, too soon. A little less exposition would have fixed most of the problems I had with the pilot. I really like the characters so far, though - I even like the jailbait chick. Giving Wolverine's powers to a high school cheerleader is a clever twist. The last fifteen minutes I thought were great. I really do hope the problems are fixed because the groundwork for it to be the next Lost is there. I did think the X-Men #143 reference, as much as I enjoyed it, was a pretty blatant attempt to suck up to comics fans.

And clearly, Lost DVDs have been watched multiple times by the creators. They started laying the interconnectedness of the characters on pretty thick pretty early.

The blond woman's power, I guess, was a doppelganger.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Joe wrote:I did think the X-Men #143 reference, as much as I enjoyed it, was a pretty blatant attempt to suck up to comics fans.
I thought it was just to show how nerdy he was.
The blond woman's power, I guess, was a doppelganger.
Blond smash!

Seriously, though, didn't you see her computer? She fights crime with the awesome power of Linux! (or some other OS that can run KDE.)
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

Did I hear that "agent" drop a Matrix reference "Smith...Anderson" to Suresh?
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Damaramu wrote:Did I hear that "agent" drop a Matrix reference "Smith...Anderson" to Suresh?
Ayup.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

No comment on last night's episode?

I like it how this may very well be the first Japanese character in any media who is obsessively into American "manga."
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Battlehymn Republic wrote:No comment on last night's episode?

I like it how this may very well be the first Japanese character in any media who is obsessively into American "manga."
The last two minutes from last night are easily the most jarring thing I've ever seen on television.
ImageImage
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Well, we know that even if it turns out to be impossible to kill the cheerleader permanently, she can be kept dead indefinitely if the foreign object which killed her remains lodged in place. This is consistent with her ribs not healing until she pushed them back in place after jumping off the crane in the pilot. Also, just in case the garbage disposal scene didn't make this clear (Emerson is suing NBC for that, by the way, on the grounds that it makes it appear dangerous to stick one's hand in one of their garbage disposals; I'm not making this up), she apparently doesn't feel pain.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

RedImperator wrote:Well, we know that even if it turns out to be impossible to kill the cheerleader permanently, she can be kept dead indefinitely if the foreign object which killed her remains lodged in place. This is consistent with her ribs not healing until she pushed them back in place after jumping off the crane in the pilot. Also, just in case the garbage disposal scene didn't make this clear (Emerson is suing NBC for that, by the way, on the grounds that it makes it appear dangerous to stick one's hand in one of their garbage disposals; I'm not making this up), she apparently doesn't feel pain.
Is it NOT dangerous to stick your hand into a rotating bladed object?

And yeah, its like she has CIPA along with her regeneration, which is creepy if she's walking around with a dislocated arm and doesn't notice.
ImageImage
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Well, we know that even if it turns out to be impossible to kill the cheerleader permanently, she can be kept dead indefinitely if the foreign object which killed her remains lodged in place. This is consistent with her ribs not healing until she pushed them back in place after jumping off the crane in the pilot. Also, just in case the garbage disposal scene didn't make this clear (Emerson is suing NBC for that, by the way, on the grounds that it makes it appear dangerous to stick one's hand in one of their garbage disposals; I'm not making this up), she apparently doesn't feel pain.
Is it NOT dangerous to stick your hand into a rotating bladed object?

And yeah, its like she has CIPA along with her regeneration, which is creepy if she's walking around with a dislocated arm and doesn't notice.
CIPA?

Incidentally, I think the politician-brother has got to be the biggest schmuck on the show. Yes, more evil than Siler.

(And when Siler took three or four bullets and then got up in the last episode, my mom screamed loud enough to deafen me in one ear...and yet she scoffs at comics. Go figure.)
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Hiro and Ando (hehe) are probably the best characters on the show.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Molyneux wrote:CIPA?

Incidentally, I think the politician-brother has got to be the biggest schmuck on the show. Yes, more evil than Siler.

(And when Siler took three or four bullets and then got up in the last episode, my mom screamed loud enough to deafen me in one ear...and yet she scoffs at comics. Go figure.)
CIPA: Congenital Immunity to Pain with Anhydosity. You don't feel pain or sweat to regulate yourself. Its very bad, because pain teaches you not to do stuff like chew on your fingers.
ImageImage
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Molyneux wrote:CIPA?

CIPA: Congenital Immunity to Pain with Anhydosity. You don't feel pain or sweat to regulate yourself. Its very bad, because pain teaches you not to do stuff like chew on your fingers.
Ahh...I've heard of it, but not by that name. On the plus side, *she* doesn't have the associated problems...

Although, didn't she grimace when her hand was in the disposer? Then again, pain or no pain, it must not be pleasant to feel your bones being mangled...