A box office roundup

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LordShaithis
Redshirt

A box office roundup

Post by LordShaithis »

Yeah, I fell out of the habit. Yeah, here's a new one. Numbers from Mojo as always.

------

#1 - Gridiron Gang, Week 1
Weekend gross: $14.4m
Theater count: 3504
Budget: $30m

I think Rock has realized nobody wants him to be another Schwarzenegger, and so he's experimenting with this "acting" thing. From what I hear, he's not bad at it. Still, I'd love to see him in something grim and bloody, along the lines of the first Conan flick.

------

#2 - The Black Dahlia, Week 1
Weekend gross: $10m
Theater count: 2226
Budget: $50m

If you're going to spend fifty million dollars making a forties period piece, don't cast Josh "Nothing I'm in makes money!" Hartnett as the lead and then skimp on the publicity. I had to check IMDB just to see what the hell this movie was about. Speaking of the database, users on there don't seem to like it much either, giving it a 5.7 average rating.

------

#3 - Everyone's Hero, Week 1
Weekend gross: $6m
Theater count: 2896
Budget: Unknown

Apparently Christopher Reeve was working on this at the time of his death. By all accounts it's a big smelly piece of animated crap, with Whoopie Goldberg as a talking baseball bat. Or something. I saw an advertisement somewhere, and it looked really unappealing. I don't know what it cost, but it's safe to say they won't be making it back anytime soon.

------

#4 - The Covenant, Week 2
Weekend gross: $4.7m (-46%)
Total gross: $15.8m
Theater count: 2681 (+0)
Budget: $20m

Given the marketing and general vibe of this movie, I initially thought it was some sort of Underworld spinoff. Instead it's The Craft, but with boys. Nevertheless, like the Underworld flicks, this movie benefits from a very modest production budget. It's not doing boffo business, but it'll end up in the books as a profitable venture.

------

#5 - The Last Kiss, Week 1
Weekend gross: $4.6m
Theater count: 1357
Budget: $20m

Some generic shitty drama about... people... who are confused... about their lives... or something. Date movie fodder, I guess. Anyway, twenty million isn't a huge budget, but opening fifth on a soft weekend like this (and being edged out by the second weekend of The Craft With Boys) is pretty miserable.

------

And the rest of the Top Ten:

Rank - Title - Weekend/Total/Budget - (Comment)

#6 - Invincible - 4.1/51/? - (Marky Mark football movie, has actually made money.)
#7 - The Illusionist - 3.6/23/16.5 - (Who doesn't like Edward Norton?)
#8 - Little Miss Sunshine - 3.3/46/8 - (Small budget for the win!)
#9 - Hollywoodland - 2.7/10.5/? - (Who doesn't like Ben Affleck? Oh yeah, everyone.)
#10 - Crank - 2.6/24.3/12 - (Small budget for a somewhat lesser win!)
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

The Blach Dahlia was a fucking incoherent mess. God, that movie sucked.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Scarlett Johansson is fucking hot and can act, but she keeps finding herself in crappy unsuccessful movies.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Covenant has a staggering 2% on RottenTomatoes. Jesus.

Click to see.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Cincinnatus
Youngling

Post by Cincinnatus »

LordShaithis wrote:Covenant has a staggering 2% on RottenTomatoes. Jesus.

Click to see.
Crossover is getting zero percent.

And I liked Hollywoodland. I’ve never understood why so many people dislike Ben Affleck, and he does a pretty good job as George Reeves, even if you have to see his ass three separate times in the movie.

If you really hate Ben Affleck and that turns you away from the movie, consider this: you also get to see him die three different ways.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

I found this user comment on IMDB...
mickeyshamrock wrote:Do you like crossovers? Then do I have the movie for you! It is called Crossover. When I heard they were going to make a movie called Crossover I started practicing my crossover like everyday. When the movie came out I brought my rock to the theater and crossed-over all these dudes in line, it was hilarious. Then I crossed-over the popcorn dude. I got the Producer's Pick, you know, a hot dog and a large soda, then I crossed-over that too. Then in the theater this guy started talking on his cell phone, you know what I did… Yup! Crossover!!! Shut him up real good. EDITOR'S NOTE: The basketball scenes in Teen Wolf are better than the basketball scenes in Crossover. Crossover.
Oh snap. :lol:
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I've seen ads for Crossover for a while, and I had to click on that RottenTomatoes link to remember what it was. Stupid basketball movie about ghetto kids who're trying to get rich off it? Gotcha... that'll REALLY succeed. :roll:

Black Dahlia sounds cool, but it'll be a rental for me. And I'm getting fucking tired of 'Open Season' ads all over the damn tv...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Click to see.
Some of the excerpts are just golden. "Movies like this are why we have eyelids." :lol:
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

I saw the illusionist on a whim and was really quite taken with it. Its been a while since I saw a good all around movie. And seeing turn of the century austria was pretty nifty as well.
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

:lol: What an atrocious week for movies.

And I love reading bitter reviews, as long as they've got some basis.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I was actually mildly interested in seeing The Covenant; I like supernaturalistic movies. 2 Percent, though . . . :cry:
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Durandal wrote:

Click to see.
Some of the excerpts are just golden. "Movies like this are why we have eyelids." :lol:
Yea. :)

Movies like this are an invitation for critics to whip out their snarkiest one-liners.

"Where do WB pilots go when they die? Perhaps they're reincarnated as lousy supernatural thrillers..."

"It’s as if the WB took Harry Potter and turned it into Five Hot Underwear Models Go Back to High School and Do Magic, with some accidental pseudo-adolescent homoeroticism thrown in for fun."