14%

Total votes: 7

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

The MMA thread (mk1)

Post by weemadando »

*new edit* Poll added.

*edit* New title

Ultimate Fight Night 6 (Is it number 6?)
The Line-Up:
Diego Sanchez (169.5) vs Karo Parisyan (171.5)
Jorge Santiago (185) vs Chris Leben (186)
Yuki Sasaki (185) vs Dean Lister (185)
Pat Healy (170) vs Anthony Torres (170.5)
Jason Von Flue (170) vs Joe Riggs (170)
Forrest Petz (170) vs Sam Morgan (170.5)
Christophe Midoux (224) vs Jake O’Brien (231)
Crafton Wallace (184.5) vs Martin Kampmann (185)
Jonathan Goulet (170) vs Josh Koscheck (171)

Please, can I see the following people fucking KO'd/choked out?
Chris Leben (it was awesome watching him go down in 40 seconds or so last time out)
Josh Koscheck (I hate him, boring fighter, crappy trash talker)
And Diego Sanchez's smack talk at Matt Hughes better catch up with him. I'd like to see Matt Hughes show him how its done.

Then, we've got TUF4 (George St Pierre coaching? FUCKING YES!)... Can't wait to see the competitors there. Though I've heard that Chris Leben is in it. Boo.

And then UFC62.
Liddell v Sobral? I've been waiting for this since Sobral cleaned up in the IFC contender one-night tourney a few years ago. I think Sobral is going to take the belt home.
Griffin vs Bonnar. The first fight was fun to watch. This one is tough to call, Bonnar and Griffin have both been REALLY sporadic in quality of late (how the fuck Bonnar failed to get a triangle on Rashad I'll never know - and I watched that match with a BJJ instructor who also hates Rashad - and he didn't know what the fuck Bonnar was doing either).
Undercard fights are involving a lot of relative unknowns, could be interesting to see what some of them are like.
Last edited by weemadando on 2006-09-02 09:57pm, edited 2 times in total.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

As much as I'd like to see Chris Leban get knocked senseless again it probably ain't gonna happen. UFC management is giving him an easy guy to beat so he can get back into the game, good for business I guess but it's pretty much a gimme fight. Leban should take it unless some freak thing happens. Fucking Leban, I hate the asshole and can't wait till they put him up against some quality competition. I want to see David Loiseau take his head off with elbow strikes and completely bloody up his face.

Goulet trains with GSP and the rest of the Canadian team and I think other than GSP he's the best Canadian in thee weight class. Good skills but he does have a bit of a weak chin, he almost got knocked out in his last fight before pulling off the decision. He should be able to take Koscheck, but it'll probably go to decision.

Sanchez & Parisyan should be interesting, if Karo's on top of his game he should take it. He took GSP all the way to a decision so he should be able to beat Sanchez.

As for UFC 62, I think Forest Griffin is going to waste Stephan Bonnar in the rematch. Griffin has been improving a lot with every match and even won a round against Tito Ortiz, he looked pretty impressive in that fight. Bonnar, not really, he's getting better but not nearly as fast.

Liddell and Sobral is hard to call, but I'm giving this one to Chuck. I don't know if Sobral has good enough takedowns to get Chuck off his feet, and there's no way he can stand up and trade shots with him, that's a sure way to get knocked out. Chuck's been on a tear since he lost to Couture and I don't see him being stopped until UFC 64 where he meet Wanderlei Silva.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Ah fuck, everyone who I wanted to win ended up losing. Leban got lucky again, they set him up with an easy win and he was still taking a beating until he landed that lucky punch. Fuck I hate him, I want to see him get pounded almost as bad as I wanted to see Ken Shamrock get his ass beat at the last UFC.

Sanchez & Parisyan was a fucking quality fight, they came out swinging and it was non-stop action for the full 15 minutes. Karo's judo throws in the 2nd round were fucking awesome, just picked him up and dropped him on head, it was wild. Too bad he gassed out in the 3rd round and let Sanchez take the decision. Still, Sanchez has gotten a lot better than the last time I saw him, he's a hell of a lot faster and his striking is much cleaner. If he keeps improving like this he's going to be hard to stop.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yeah, the Ultimate Fight Night VI was pretty good, but fucking Leben... I just want them to put him up against someone hard.

The TUF4 premiere was awesome. Lots of people I'd like to see make a comeback, though - Shonie Carter, what the hell have you done to yourself?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

And in support of your Shamrock statements. I used to be a Shamrock fan. Until I watched TUF3 and realised just how little he actually cared about teaching/coaching his guys and instead was just waiting for another shot at Tito.

Tito however, jumped up amazingly in my books, going from smack-talking dick-head to excellent coach and worringly intelligent...
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:The TUF4 premiere was awesome. Lots of people I'd like to see make a comeback, though - Shonie Carter, what the hell have you done to yourself?
It was pretty hilarious though, you see all the fighters come in wearing workout clothes and looking all business, and then you see Shonie walk in wearing a goddamn pimpsuit complete with the hat and cane. And when training starts he's wearing a pair of Speedos and you hear Randy Couture asking "don't you have any other shorts?" It was great. :lol:
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Karo vs. Diego was a awesome fight. I love watching Karo throw his opponents around like rag dolls and he didn't disappoint in this fight. Unfortunately he got tired and got dominated toward the end. Diego has proven he's one of the best in the division, but he has no chance against Hughes or GSP.

Liddell vs. Sobral will be good, but I give it to Chuck. He's the better striker and I doubt Babalu can take him down.

Griffin vs. Bonnar II will be good. I'd go with Griffin, but it's a close call.

I hope Silva vs. Lidell happens, but I just read something on MMAweekly.com that says the fight is off. Shouldn't have announced it before the contract was signed Dana. Tsk Tsk.

If the fight does happen, I can't even call a winner. If I had to pick, I'd say Wanderlei.

Other notable MMA events coming up:

Aug 26: UFC 62 Liddell vs Sobral
Aug 26: PRIDE Bushido 12
Sep 9: IFL Portland
Sep 10: PRIDE Final Conflict Absolute
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I was very impressed with Yuki Sazaki vs. Dean Lister. Hell of a fight. :twisted:

Why won't that fucker Diego lose?!?

UFC 62: I'm with Chuck Liddell, but it can go either way. One of Babalu's recent victories was against Mauricio Shogun Rua who is no slouch himself. Unfortunately, I haven't seen many of Sobral's fights :(

Griffin vs. Bonnar 2; I'm predicting this one will go to Forrest; I just think he's shown more improvement overall than Bonnar.

If Chuck and Wanderlei went at it...God I hate to call this one. My mind says Wanderlei but my heart says Chuck. :? :oops: :idea:
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

UFC 62 went pretty much as expected, Chuck got a TKO on Babalu again, and Forest got another decision.

Apparently there's going to be another rematch with Tito Ortiz and Ken "I should've retired 10 years ago" Shamrock. If Ken wants to ket his head knocked in again I'm all for it, I want to see that jackass retired for good this time.

Hughes vs. St-Pierre is off due to GSP getting a groin injury. Now it BJ Penn against Hughes which should be just as good. BJ won the last match and they don't call him "the Prodigy" for nothing.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

An entertaining event I think. I was impressed with the performances of both Cheick Kongo and Hermes Franca.

Franca showed very good strategy against Varner with his nice leg kicks and an exciting unorthodox armbar to finish, and Kongo displayed impressive submission defense and finished his opponent off with some vicious Muay Thai.

Babalu disappointed me. The way he rushed on Liddell was not a smart plan. That's exactly what Chuck wants you to do.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Damnit. Haven't seen 62 yet, but I was really hoping for a Sobral win.

And TUF4.02 was great. Edwin De Wees (was that his name?) impressed the HELL out of me. I thought that fight was a doctor stoppage or a verbal tapout at the very least. But the boy just kept going.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

aerius wrote: Apparently there's going to be another rematch with Tito Ortiz and Ken "I should've retired 10 years ago" Shamrock. If Ken wants to ket his head knocked in again I'm all for it, I want to see that jackass retired for good this time.
That would sure be nice. I'm now a card-carrying member of the Shamrock is an old, selfish, has-been club.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

And Shamrock v Ortiz 3 has been officially announced.

Also, line-ups for UFC63 and 64 are up.

UFC63
Matt Hughes Vs. BJ Penn
Mike Swick Vs. David Loiseau
Jason Lambert Vs. Rashad Evans (please KILL Rashad)
Joe Lauzon Vs. Jens Pulver
Gabe Ruediger Vs. Melvin Guillard (please KILL Melvin)
Roger Huerta Vs. Jason Reinhardt
Mario Neto Vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
Danny Abbadi Vs. Jorge Gurgel
David Lee Vs. Tyson Griffin

UFC 64
Rich Franklin Vs. Anderson Silva
Sean Sherk Vs. Kenny Florian
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

I see the Hughes/Penn fight ending in one of two ways: Hughes by decision or Penn by submission. If B.J. doesn't pull off a submission he'll probably lose due to Hughes scoring several take-downs and I don't see Hughes finishing Penn. He's too slippery.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'm going to have to back UFC especially since Zuffa/Dana White have been running things. They've done a hell of a lot to make it mainstream and way more accessible.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

I voted for Pride, only because they still have most of the top fighters and their events are therefore more exciting to me on average. The reason is because MMA is hugely popular over in Japan and so they can afford to pay the fighters more. However, the UFC may be on their way to overtaking Pride with the success of The Ultimate Fighter in bringing in more fans and making the sport more mainstream. I'm rooting for the UFC.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The problem with Pride (and the UFC to a lesser extent) is that they are straying dangerously close to Pro-Wrestling and a DEFINATE issue with IFC/K1 is that they are a little, "bush-league" if you know what I mean. The UFC at least has that veneer of legitimacy and more importantly they are working REALLY hard to make it watchable for anyone, not just MMA fans.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

I don't think the IFC has any delusions about being a top MMA promotion. They are just like King of the Cage, Cage Rage, Rumble on the Rocks, TKO, etc. MMA minor leagues.

I'm not sure how Pride could be compared to Pro-wrestling except the environment. They have the ring, and flashy lights and dramatic entrances similar to Pro-wrestling. But the fighting itself is no less legitimate than the UFC.

The UFC sets up matches like Ortiz/Shamrock which are kind of Pro-wrestling-ish. Ortiz is #2 in the division and Shamrock doesn't even belong in the UFC at all. The UFC sets them up to fight because they have a well-known feud going on between them and that makes for a good entertaining show.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Pride has a very Pro-wrestling atmosphere, while UFC is tending towards the "story-lines" side of things.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

tyler durbin vs. the narator.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Wrong thread?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Zadius wrote:I don't think the IFC has any delusions about being a top MMA promotion. They are just like King of the Cage, Cage Rage, Rumble on the Rocks, TKO, etc. MMA minor leagues.
IFC is an excellent feeder-league though. Their "Global Domination" one night light heavy tourney was quite something. And the prize for that was the light heavyweight belt previously held by Chuck Liddell and pretty much a guaranteed titleshot for that division in the UFC.

And Babalu won it after having the shit beaten out of him for 45 minutes. And that's good enough for me.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

weemadando wrote:
Zadius wrote:I don't think the IFC has any delusions about being a top MMA promotion. They are just like King of the Cage, Cage Rage, Rumble on the Rocks, TKO, etc. MMA minor leagues.
IFC is an excellent feeder-league though. Their "Global Domination" one night light heavy tourney was quite something. And the prize for that was the light heavyweight belt previously held by Chuck Liddell and pretty much a guaranteed titleshot for that division in the UFC.

And Babalu won it after having the shit beaten out of him for 45 minutes. And that's good enough for me.
I need to get that DVD. I've seen the Babalu/Shogun and Horn/Griffin fights from that event and they were unreal.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Jeremy Horn's fight against this bug-fuck-crazy Russian is AMAZING. Horn locks a beautiful armbar on this guy (who is a lawyer who does MMA in his spare time) and starts cranking like a champ. The Russian refuses to tap and keeps trying to escape. Horn keeps applying pressure until you see the guys shoulder pop out of joint. Russian continues to try and escape and not tap. Horn screams at the ref that the guys shoulder is fucking gone. Russian continues to not tap. Ref sees the arm is fucking gone and stops the fight.

And yes. Get the DVD its a great line-up, but they have some atrocious clipping on the R4 DVD which means you can't read some of the pre-fight stats etc.
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Speaking of Jeremy Horn, he's scheduled to fight Matt Lindland on September 9 at IFL Portland. Should be a great grappling match.