A matter of choice (graduation vs. Japan)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

A matter of choice (graduation vs. Japan)

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Graduation's coming, and, well, we'll end up marching around and singing Christian songs. Now, unlike you guys, we're probably not going to end up doing anything much afterwards. So...

My dad's offering a trip to Japan. Never been there before. And, if I accept, I'll end up missing my graduation.

If I go to my grad, I'll miss this nice once-in-quite-a-while-opportunity to go to the land of the rising sun.

Anyway, the thing is, its not like I'll never be seeing my friends again. When I come back after Japan, a few days after grad, I could always end up going out with them and spending quality time.

So...what do you guys think? I'm confused.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

GO!!!
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

Well that's a no-brainer. Go to Japan, you numpty!

Oh, and because I'm surprised: This forum still exists. Neat.
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Go, enjoy yourself.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Japan.
Sofia
Padawan Learner

Post by Sofia »

Go to Japan! Graduation is a lot of silly ceremony. I ended up hugging lots of people I never talk to anymore. You'll still see the ones that matter.
Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you? (Walt Whitman)

"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." (Tom Stoppard)

Still here I carry my old delicious burdens/I carry them, men and women, I carry them with me wherever I go/I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them/I am fill'd with them, and I will fill them in return. (Whitman)
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Japan! Hell, I'd miss graduation to sleep in if my parents would let me. I think it's a silly thing all around.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Gah, yeah, but one of my good female friends wants me to stay. And...umm...I don't know why I feel this way.

I asked my dad, and he migh try to find a compromise of some sort.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

If you're getting the diploma either way, bugger graduation. What's the big deal about walking down an isle in a silly gown & hat?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Sofia
Padawan Learner

Post by Sofia »

Ooooh, how good is this "good female friend?" :wink: If it means a lot to her to have you be there, and your dad can change the dates without any loss of funds or anything, then sure, stay. If not, I'm sure you can make it up to her.
Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you? (Walt Whitman)

"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." (Tom Stoppard)

Still here I carry my old delicious burdens/I carry them, men and women, I carry them with me wherever I go/I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them/I am fill'd with them, and I will fill them in return. (Whitman)
TheBlackCat
Padawan Learner

Post by TheBlackCat »

I must be the only one here who disagrees. This graduation is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. You will never get another chance. You may graduate from a university of graduate school or whatever comes next, but this graduation only occurs once. You will have the memories forever. You can go visit Japan later, but you can never go back and re-do your graduation ceremony if you decide down the road you regret missing it. So your choice comes down to a once-in-a-lifetime thing and visiting a country that you can potentially visit any time you wish. The actual logistics of visiting Japan may be difficult, but it won't "poof" and disappear if you decide not to go this time (if it did there would be a lot more serious things to worry about than graduations and vacations). That is exactly what is going to happen to your graduation if you don't go.

So basically it comes down to a choice between, as you put it, "a once-in-quite-a-while-opportunity" vs a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. That sort of choice seems simple to me. And I love to travel, but if I would never have missed graduation for any of them because I knew the country would still be there later but my graduation wouldn't.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
-Richard Dawkins
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

TheBlackCat wrote:I must be the only one here who disagrees. This graduation is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. You will never get another chance. You may graduate from a university of graduate school or whatever comes next, but this graduation only occurs once. You will have the memories forever. You can go visit Japan later, but you can never go back and re-do your graduation ceremony if you decide down the road you regret missing it. So your choice comes down to a once-in-a-lifetime thing and visiting a country that you can potentially visit any time you wish. The actual logistics of visiting Japan may be difficult, but it won't "poof" and disappear if you decide not to go this time (if it did there would be a lot more serious things to worry about than graduations and vacations). That is exactly what is going to happen to your graduation if you don't go.

So basically it comes down to a choice between, as you put it, "a once-in-quite-a-while-opportunity" vs a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. That sort of choice seems simple to me. And I love to travel, but if I would never have missed graduation for any of them because I knew the country would still be there later but my graduation wouldn't.
So, what's the big deal about a graduation ceremony? You walk down an isle in a silly robe and some old geezer hands you a piece of paper that you'd have gotten whether you go or not. I guess it's sentimental for some people, but what is it about it that makes it better than doing something you'll actually enjoy?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

This is a non-issue. Hell, graduation procession versus sleeping in should be a no brainer.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Shit, I don't even really want to go to my college graduation, after how dull the experience was for high school.

Go to Japan.
Last edited by Spanky The Dolphin on 2006-03-22 12:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Shit, I don't even really want to go to my graduation, after how dull the experience was for high school.

Go to Japan.and steal lots of panties
TFTFY

In all seriousness, HS graduation is important for your family, if they are offering you a trip to Japan, take it. For you, it isn't a big deal. Most schools don't even give you the diploma there anyway, it is mained to you after the ceremony and they check to make sure that you actually passed your classes.

Unless you have some extended family who REALLY want to see you walk down the aisle, go to Japan.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Go to Japan. If it's possible see if your dad can change the flight, but I'm assuming that he'd have already tried because every parent wants to see their child go up on that stage and get their diploma (at least I know mine did). Your female friend should understand.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Japan. Ceremonies are boring.

I missed mine for South Africa. My teachers were all jealous of me and wished that they had a good excuse to miss the ceremony (they actually said this).

ROAR!!!!! says GOJIRA!!!!!
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

Graduation's coming, and, well, we'll end up marching around and singing Christian songs. Now, unlike you guys, we're probably not going to end up doing anything much afterwards. So...
This implies that your graduation will be rather mundane. I'm not sure if you're talking about high school or not, but I never really had any big sentemental attachment to high school graduation. College graduation, maybe, but not really high school.

Go with the one that has more meaning to you. Do you value a once in a life time only ceronony or do you value the trip to go see you father? If you really feel that the trip is worth more, then go with the trip. If you really feel that the graduation ceromony is worth more, go with that.

An easier way to decide is, which will offer more lasting memories?
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

JAPAN!!! You lucky bastard...
TheBlackCat
Padawan Learner

Post by TheBlackCat »

General Zod wrote:So, what's the big deal about a graduation ceremony? You walk down an isle in a silly robe and some old geezer hands you a piece of paper that you'd have gotten whether you go or not. I guess it's sentimental for some people, but what is it about it that makes it better than doing something you'll actually enjoy?
It's the culmination of everything you have been working towards for the last four years. It's the end one part of your life and the beginning of a new, completely different part. It's one of the events that marks a child becoming an adult. It's a celebration of the accomplishment of completeling your entire grade school life and that you are now taking the next step towards your adult life (whatever that might be for a given person). It marks the beginning of your first real foray into indpendence. It's a once-in-a-lifetime event that you can never go back to again.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
-Richard Dawkins
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

TheBlackCat wrote:
General Zod wrote:So, what's the big deal about a graduation ceremony? You walk down an isle in a silly robe and some old geezer hands you a piece of paper that you'd have gotten whether you go or not. I guess it's sentimental for some people, but what is it about it that makes it better than doing something you'll actually enjoy?
It's the culmination of everything you have been working towards for the last four years. It's the end one part of your life and the beginning of a new, completely different part. It's one of the events that marks a child becoming an adult. It's a celebration of the accomplishment of completeling your entire grade school life and that you are now taking the next step towards your adult life (whatever that might be for a given person). It marks the beginning of your first real foray into indpendence. It's a once-in-a-lifetime event that you can never go back to again.
Fuck that bullshit. I just wanted my God damn diploma.

There is simply no reason why such a simple process should be stretched out into a 2-3 hour load of sugar-coated crap. The whole thing could be done in less than an hour with all the excess fat trimmed: I don't need to be forced to put my brain into autopilot through song after song and speech after speech.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Hmn, I suppose its the wrong time to mention I won't be going to Japan with my mother because I need to study? :?:
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

TheBlackCat wrote:It's the culmination of everything you have been working towards for the last four years.
The Diploma (sheet of paper) is, not the Graduation Process.
It's a celebration of the accomplishment of completeling your entire grade school life and that you are now taking the next step towards your adult life (whatever that might be for a given person).
Your definition of "celebration" must mean boredom. Going to Japan (or even staying at home) is a better celebration than 3 hours of meaninglessness.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

TheBlackCat wrote: It's the culmination of everything you have been working towards for the last four years. It's the end one part of your life and the beginning of a new, completely different part. It's one of the events that marks a child becoming an adult. It's a celebration of the accomplishment of completeling your entire grade school life and that you are now taking the next step towards your adult life (whatever that might be for a given person). It marks the beginning of your first real foray into indpendence. It's a once-in-a-lifetime event that you can never go back to again.
Bah. College isn't all it's wanked off to be 'adult independence' wise. It's what comes after college that really decides whether you're cut out to suceed in the world or not.

And screw graduation. Mines was ludicrously boring, and even moreso watching this pompous, religious nut of a teacher's pet posterboy headed to West Point give some speech I can't remember a single bit of today. I knew that the rest of my classmates agreed with my sentiment because everyone around me including me adlibbed our alma mater song at the end of the graduation. :P
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

I was glad when my job gave me a reason to miss my high school graduation.

Both an HS gradution and a trip to Japan can be considered once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, if only because travel is expensive and time-consuming. However, I think the net benefit of going to Japan - an entirely new and different environment - is much greater than queueing up and marching at zombified pace to get handed a little slip of paper, since the end of high school is hardly "the first day of the rest of your life." And if the people of high school are the important thing, well, even missing graduation is no barrier to seeing them again.

Japan.