SDN Weight Watchers, Thread the Second

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

The Wagon!!!! Falling Off Of!!!!!! Oh Noes!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I would like to be an example to all of of what not to do.

In 11 months I lost 52 pounds.

In the last 5 months I gained 18 of it right the hell back.

New work schedule making regular visits to the gym harder, but not impossible, caused me to get out of the habit of going to the gym. Not going to the gym somehow made me think I didn't need to as long as I kept up with my improved eating habits. My improved eating habits only worked as long as I used the gym as a steady backbone to support my changes. Bad eating habits and not exercising regularly, ok like not at all, got me this wonderful step backwards. Oh, what fun.

I knew I was gaining some back but thought at most it was 5 pounds, worst case scenario 10. Well, my weight came as a real shocker for me.

So, time to get back on the wagon, now I know how bad falling off can be.

I'll post milestones, next one is 260.

I even set a new goal, which i think is definitely reachable, given past performance.

In 48 weeks, I will be 200 pounds, which gives me 48 weeks to lost 68 pounds. Let the slow and steady weight loss begin!

I have even thought of what I will reward myself with, a 60+" plasma screen TV and a new computer. Not a car, not a house, but still something that is both expensive, and awesome. Shit, makes me want to go to the gym right now.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

In the last roughly three months I have cut out most of the crap I used to eat too much of (I only have chocolate every Friday) and I have enough time on my hands to go on five to eight mile walks on a weekly basis. I am slowly losing flab off my backside, legs, torso and neck. Better still I'm also losing my taste for white bread, crips, chocolate and other junk food.

So far, so good and I hope I'll keep this up for the rest of my adult life.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Agh, the food here is incredibly fatty, unhealthy laden with salt, coverd in greases (Even the few vegetables) and is a buffet.

Still in an attempt to reduce my caloric intake I've thought of the idea of bringing health cereal (Not done yet due to problems with milk) and primarily:
Organic Instant oatmeal - Healthy, effectively no fat, less temptation for stuffing myself and much, much tastier (though the fried bread or pancakes may taste better before one gets sick of them)

I've also tried to maintain my running 2 or so times a week, either from 0630-0710, or 2130+ (Due to the heat and the days usually starting at 0730 or ending at times at 2300)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I've just come back from a nine mile slog and I might go out on another shorter walk later this evening. My current cereal diet is Sommerfield's Cornflakes and Oatibix. I have cut out white bread and cake almost completely from my official diet for the last three months. And I'm also slowly being weaned off chocolate (although I've relapsed now and then :wink: ).

The last junkfood joint I went to was Subway for a light breakfast snack and I've never set foot in McDonalds, Burger King and KFC for weeks/months now.
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Freshman 15? Fuck that. I'm losing weight at college. Yes, I'm sort of eating like crap, but I spend almost my entire day walking to various points on campus, and I'm actually take a class where all you do is work out. I figured it would be a good way to keep me motivated. The only scale I have access too is at Jay's, and I can only get on that about once every week or so, but yeah. This is fucking awesome.
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

My update: I am about 195 pounds now. :D I basically lost ten pounds in a month and I haven't been working out much except for the long walks from my dorm to the classes. Cutting out all the junk food is really helping! I can now wear a Levi's 36 loosely too and I had bought them two weeks ago feeling tight. I need a new belt! :mrgreen:

Tomorrow, I'll be hitting the dorm's gym which reminds me. I came home to pick up some workout clothes. I hope I don't forget before I leave later on tonight.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I seem to be hovering around 150 lbs.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I've just come back from a six mile walk just now; I'm losing more weight at a steady rate.

Even though I've lost excess flab around my legs and torso, my beer belly looks more pronounced.
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Uh, is my stomach fat going somewhere else? Last weekend or two when I weighed myself, I was still holding at 195 but I am now down to a waist 34. The 36 pants I had trouble three weeks ago or when I posted last is so loose now that I had to hold it up (haven't bought a proper sized belt) and the 34 feels like it's getting looser by the day. I can't imagine wearing a 38 size pants anymore. I'd need a tight belt and it'd look ridiculous. I'm not even sure when was the last time I wore 34s (which definitely wasn't my senior year in high school two years ago) and at this rate I'll probably be down to 32 in no time.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Well, 7 weeks later an I'm back down to 252 according to my last foray onto the scales.

I lost something like 8 pounds of water weight in the first two weeks and got to experience that wonderful, "Why isn't it coming off faster" moment in the weeks after that.

Just doing what I normally do and paying a bit more attention to what I'm eating. I've been traveling alot and that's meant trips to fast food which I know are incredibly bad for me. Especially Taco Bell, I always over order there and feel bad afterwards.

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

KrauserKrauser wrote: Just doing what I normally do and paying a bit more attention to what I'm eating. I've been traveling alot and that's meant trips to fast food which I know are incredibly bad for me. Especially Taco Bell, I always over order there and feel bad afterwards.
I haven't had proper fast food for months now and I've reduced my chocolate intake to a few bars every Friday.
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

A friend addicted me to working out while at the gym much more intensively since July, as compared to my previous "enough to stay fit" routine. Yesterday I caught a good glimpse of me front and behind from a distance, at the gym, and for a second thought it was somebody else instead of a mirror. It seemed like Arnold Schwarzenegger, muscles rippling everywhere. OK, maybe not exactly like him, but I couldn't believe it. I put on 8 Kg of weight too, from 75 Kg to 83, even though all my belts are getting way too large for me. The body is really a funny thing. I'm afraid this can hurt my mountain biking capabilities, though.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Colonel Olrik wrote:I put on 8 Kg of weight too, from 75 Kg to 83, even though all my belts are getting way too large for me. The body is really a funny thing. I'm afraid this can hurt my mountain biking capabilities, though.
Not really, unless all the weight you put on was upper body mass. I usually put on about 3kg during the winter from playing ice hockey and it actually helps certain parts of my biking. I'm stronger with more power after a winter so I can sprint faster & power up steeper hills in the spring when I get back on my bike compared to the fall when I stop biking, but my endurance is down a bit since I don't train my cardio in the winter. But that'll change this year after a shameful 2-6 record in mountain bike races against my fiancée this past summer, she kicked my ass this year, I'm not letting it happen next year if I can help it.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

Big Orange wrote:
KrauserKrauser wrote: Just doing what I normally do and paying a bit more attention to what I'm eating. I've been traveling alot and that's meant trips to fast food which I know are incredibly bad for me. Especially Taco Bell, I always over order there and feel bad afterwards.
I haven't had proper fast food for months now and I've reduced my chocolate intake to a few bars every Friday.
What kind of Bars? It could be better to speard them out if you eat the same on friday as other days and the bars
Soontir C'boath

I just went down to the gym. What a fracking disgrace that was. I'm going to have to start going down there daily like I should've. I know I stopped working out two and half years ago due to joining theatre and I've been gaining weight since then but man, it's disheartening that you can't pull the weights you once could before. Well, not like they'll stay in the same shape after all.

At high school, I used to work out fourty minutes a day doing legs on one day and torso on the next. Today, I fucked up.

Today was suppose to be arms but I screwed it. I only did biceps and gave up. I didn't continue going on to the exercises for the different muscles. In which then I decided to jog on the treadmill and after three minutes, THREE minutes, I got severely tired and decided to quit then and there. Total time I spent at the gym? Twenty minutes! From fourty minutes a day at school, I do twenty here!

Granted I didn't use a treadmill back then but I still fucked up.

The coming days will be different.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Soontir C'boath wrote:I just went down to the gym. What a fracking disgrace that was. I'm going to have to start going down there daily like I should've. I know I stopped working out two and half years ago due to joining theatre and I've been gaining weight since then but man, it's disheartening that you can't pull the weights you once could before. Well, not like they'll stay in the same shape after all.

At high school, I used to work out fourty minutes a day doing legs on one day and torso on the next. Today, I fucked up.

Today was suppose to be arms but I screwed it. I only did biceps and gave up. I didn't continue going on to the exercises for the different muscles. In which then I decided to jog on the treadmill and after three minutes, THREE minutes, I got severely tired and decided to quit then and there. Total time I spent at the gym? Twenty minutes! From fourty minutes a day at school, I do twenty here!

Granted I didn't use a treadmill back then but I still fucked up.

The coming days will be different.
Don't put yourself down so much! Returning to the gym is VERY hard to adapt to. I was talking to a guy at the gym just last night and he made a point that I can relate to - he missed ONE session last friday, and as a result his performance last night was way down on what he is used to, because he was out of practice! I sometimes take a week off from gym if I am busy/lazy, and the first session back is always a waste of time because I can't seem to do much. It serves as a set-up for the next visit, which will be a good one because I will be back 'in the zone'.

After a two year break, it's probably going to take you weeks to get back to anything like what you used to do. You must put the work in, but don't overdo it at this early stage or your will likely pick up an injury.

Good luck, and remember to post here with your progress/problems!
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Soontir C'boath

Ubiquitous wrote:Good luck, and remember to post here with your progress/problems!
Thanks for the anectdote, Ubi. I'll keep it in mind.

I didn't start working out over the past few days as I had hope as I had to spend the time studying for my Calculus midterm. I wonder if I will start this week as I have another midterm this Thursday. Granted, I'd stay around the gym for about an hour but it's an hour I could have studying instead. Man, it's going to really depend on my workload and that's going to suck.

Good update: All the walking around campus and eating better (not eating much chips/soda/fried chicken etc anymore) is really helping a lot. I've lost another five pounds since the last update. I am down to 185. That's 35 pounds lost in the span of four months! :D
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

35lb is a hell of a result - well done! That is really impressive - a lot of people lose the weight and put it back on, but you seem to be keeping the momentum up. What is your next goal?
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Soontir C'boath

Ubiquitous wrote:35lb is a hell of a result - well done! That is really impressive - a lot of people lose the weight and put it back on, but you seem to be keeping the momentum up. What is your next goal?
Thanks! :)
Well, my current goal has always been to get down to around 160-170 and lose the flab. The next one is that I am able lift heavier weights with better endurance (I'm currently at 15lb dumb bell with about 50 reps...) and I think I'll do it in tandem with jogging on the treadmill too to increase my endurance there. I can barely run two laps right now.

I'm also thinking about seeing a doctor though as I seem to have trouble breathing. The first two months or so when I tried jogging for awhile with a friend, I would try to take deep paced breaths as I read Chardok suggested a while ago when jogging but then I start to take short breathes because I feel like the passageway is constricted.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

You should see a doctor, the sooner the better. I am no medical expert but gyms always say that you should conduct the experts if you are having any medical problems. However, don't use this as an excuse not to exercise - just do more, lower intensity work until the situation is resolved.
Soontir C'boath

Yea, I think part of the problem is my nose which a previous doctor had checked and said one of them was narrower than the other but I said I didn't have any trouble breathing and now that I am exercising more...yea. I mentioned this to the doctor I saw today (was about my coughing problem in vent) and I'll be going to a nose doctor next weekend or just head into the Uni's hospital. In the meantime, I'll be taking Albuterol(an inhaler medication) that she prescribed me when I feel like my throat is constricted especially when I run/jog for awhile. She also referred me to a neurologist to check on what the fuck is going on with my legs (nerve pains that would happen once inawhile).

P.S.- She was hot.
P.P.S. - The eye doctor I went to on Saturday was really, really hot but that's irrelevent here. :P

Ok for a real weight update: In the last three weeks, I have lost another five pounds and down to 180. All I have done was (is? damn tense confusion!) walking. I haven't been to the gym since I had a paper and a midterm to worry about (seems something pops up every week) and therefore no exercise happened. I actually thought I'd stay at 185 with me eating taters and fries on some of those days but nope. Perhaps I could've lost more if I didn't. ;)

Oh one more thing, I met my best friend during Thanksgiving break and he was absolutely floored at how different I looked since we split after September for school. :D

Edit: Just read this now.
DEATH wrote:Agh, the food here is incredibly fatty, unhealthy laden with salt, coverd in greases (Even the few vegetables) and is a buffet.
You can try taking smaller portions. :)
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Well, I've hit a bit of a wall recently.

After my post about falling off the wagon, I've been hitting the gym at least 4 times a week with my normal schedule being sun-fri with 30 minutes on 3 machines, so about 90 minutes of medium intensity cardio 4-6 days a week.

I've always been really bad about portion control and instead of trying to fight it, I've been working around it with the TV dinners with some oranges, bananas and apples thrown in for dessert (~700-900 calories). My breakfasts are pretty much standard at around 2 bowls of cereal (Honey Bunches of Oats, Special K, Life, not super healthy but not that bad) with skim milk (~500-750 calories). Lunch is a regular size sub at Quiznos that I am loathe to give up, but I have been skipping the chips that I used to get (~750 calories, I hope, probably more). So my daily meal structure puyts me at around 1950 to 2400 calories, bumped up by 100 or so if I get some coffee at work.

Needless to say, I am not pigging out, I'm basically eating the same way that I was when I was previously losing 1-2 pounds a week.

The thing is, lately I've been stuck at 252 lbs for the last three weeks. I've gone up and down via water weight because I sweat like a stuck pig at the gym, but it's not trending down enough for my tastes.

The main thing that I am doing differently than before is that my workouts are basically exclusively cardio, with only minor weight training in a class I take on Wednesdays. My reasoning was that if I did alot of cardio, basically double what I was doing before, I could get the same results without having to mess with the weights, Now that I type it out I know it's probably wrong, but cardio is easy, compared to doing weights alone at least.

Looking back at my previous post and doing some rough calculations puts me at 14 pounds lost in a little under 5 months, which sounds really poopy, compared to what I was previously able to accomplish, so I would really like to hear some suggestions or advice as to how I can change my workout or diet or whatever to get things back on track.

I'm tired of looking at myself in the mirror and seeing this big fat guy, but its funny when you look at the BMI calculators that say even at my goal weight of 200 pounds, I'd still be obese.

It's looking a bit grim, but I'll soldier on, just need some encouagement and some advice.

Soontir C'boath

After many months, my appetite has been reduced by half. I only judge that from getting full eating a six inch sub when I was able to eat the full twelve inches a couple months before. I haven't exercise at all except walking around campus as I always do and I'm still hanging around 180 lbs x 4.5N = 810Newtons/10m/s^2; I'm about 81kg. Controlling what I eat has really kept me under control but man I have to start pumping iron. They're open in ten minutes but I have homework to do, arg. Frustrating.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

May as well check in. I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that I'm up to 240 now. The good news is that I think it may be muscle gain (mostly). I say this because looking in the mirror I look more or less the same size only leaner.

I still lift weight most every week and I've been walking mile after mile, even hiking with my dog at a nearby state park so I haven't been sedentary. I think I may need to "tune" my diet but I can't really do that for a couple of months because I'm at my folks right now while I hunt for a house.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

Down to 199 in little over 3 months (started about 211) Yeah me!