SDN Weight Watchers, Thread the Second

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

mjn6172
Padawan Learner

Post by mjn6172 »

I haven't posted here in a while (indeed, I haven't really had access to a computer for the last few weeks), but I wanted to let everyone know that I finally hit my goal! I'm now down to 185 from my all time high of 220 last Christmas. I'm still keeping up with my exercise, and hopefully I'll be able to maintain this weight now. I'm just so excited that I had to share :D
Clever and witty signature to be inserted here, just as soon as I think of one.
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

PT test today. The less said the better. :x
However, I am now at 199 lbs. I discovered that the cheapie scale I bought wasn't calibrated properly.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

mjn6172 wrote:I haven't posted here in a while (indeed, I haven't really had access to a computer for the last few weeks), but I wanted to let everyone know that I finally hit my goal! I'm now down to 185 from my all time high of 220 last Christmas. I'm still keeping up with my exercise, and hopefully I'll be able to maintain this weight now. I'm just so excited that I had to share :D

Congrats.. just in time for Pool Season.. :D
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

My sister just sent me this link and I thought it would be of some help to all of you as well, so here.. I share it with you all as well :)

info on weight loss/weight training and best ways to achieve it all
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Don't ever drop a 90pound dumbell on your thigh.. Damm.. Yellow and purple my leg is..
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

I'm on a diet right now... it's called the "Eat Less and Exercise More" diet. I'm down 25 lbs. so far...
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Oh boy, a starting point as this is my first post here... Well ever since senior year of high school or two years ago, I have been gaining weight. One of the biggest reason is that I stopped playing sports in school since junior as I had joined theatre and had to take choreagraphy instead. That really didn't helped me as it was the only time of day I actually exercise for thirty minutes running and weight lifting throughout the years. Choreagraphy wasn't exactly an exercising experience as it was used for extra time to practice theatre.

Those who think PE is a waste of time in school(none of us reading here I suppose), it's not. It gets the lazy bastards like me to work out and if you don't, you'll fucking balloon sitting in front of the computer screen like I apparently did.

I really lifted off when the second semester of my freshman year in college started and I was really depressed at the way my grades were and thus doubted my intelligence (as I still do now given I fucked up the second semester). I had bought a lot of candy at the end of the first since I had to waste my meal points and there were practically nothing else except grain bars and cereal which I should've bought instead. I'm usually fine if I spread the candy consumption evenly out throughout the months as I had in high school but I went on a spree and ate them all within the first two months of the second semester.

To give an idea, I had maybe I had around two hundred left over at the end of the semester. So that's at least 200 dollars worth of candy I must've bought; a couple boxes of Mon Cheri and Rochero, 2 boxes of 200-300 pack sour strings, and some other candy. It didn't help that I had to waste the second semester's meal points so I started to eat more food to get them down and buying more candy throughout.

With that, I was 180 pounds at the last check-up before college (for the college's health record) which meant given my height of 5'8", I was already overweight by about 15-20 pounds and currently I have went up to 200 pounds.

I used to be fat as a kid with a large amount of flab but it started to leave as I grew in my teens and now it's back again and my self-esteem isn't too happy about it.

Currently, I can jog around the nearby park for only two laps continuesly before feeling lightheaded and therefore unconciousness. The park is about half the length of a racetrack with a gradual upward and downward elevation as you run around it so I probably really did 1.5 laps but I'm not at a racetrack so I'm not going to think 0.75 per lap. I'm setting my goal lap by lap for now and probably every five later on but I'll be taking it slow as I've read and agreed. Too many times I try to set my goal too high and I just get pissed and give up for not reaching it.

I'm a bit embarrassed too as I used to really love walking, and now I can't go five streets without panting. I'm going to keep walking greater lengths though and in fact my friend and I were suppose to walk all the way to Shea stadium which is about three miles from where we live but the now false forecast of rain canceled that. I remember my bro and I used to walk to the mall which is about two miles away to check out their stuff and now he's a fat ass too; I miss those days actually.

As for my food consumption, I'm trying to cut down on fried food. I've really ate a lot of it these past couple months and I'm starting to find the taste less than ideal anyway. Having Chinese for dinner yesterday, I opted for white rice, green peppers, onions, and beef instead of my usual fried rice, fries, chicken, shrimp and the occasional egg roll from the combo.

Besides Chinese, my only other venue is perhaps trying the local Mexican restaurants that dot the area or Subway in which I've taken to like their tuna(fuck the Hoboken Subway though) and the vegetables they have (especially sweet peppers). It costs a dollar or two more than the other stuff I would buy but it's better than the fried junk food. I haven't eaten at Burger King or McDonalds for years thankfully or I could've been bigger.

The cooking is another story as the kitchen is currently somewhat unsanitary to cook in because the sink is unusable (see my thread about clogs). Adding to that, I don't know how to cook and my mom has been ordering take-out since then.

I went out with a couple friends last week and one of them took pictures and when I saw myself... I knew then that I have gone overboard especially when they definitely noticed I had gotten bigger.

Sorry about making a long post but I had to just write it all out. I guess it's a bit more "venting" in a way than really giving a plan of what I'm going to do. The fact that I don't really have a schedule planned out has something to do with it. It's been slow going deciding what and when I'm going to do things except for the walking and jogging in the morning.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Soontir,

Don't kick yourself too much over your weight. It happens, especially in the first few semesters of college.

It sounds like your biggest problem is the availability of healthier foods. Head down to the bookstore and buy either the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook or The New Joy of Cooking. Either one is a good starter cookbook which will cover the basics. I found I could lose weight even while eating "richer" foods, because if I made them, they tasted better, so I was more easily satisfied.

You seem to have a good idea about the rest. Don't overdo it on the exercise. Your body needs time to adjust and combined with better eating habits, you really don't need much more than three times a week.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Woot.. my workouts have been great lately. I am starting to creep back up to heavy duty workouts..

In the last week.. Incline dumbell presses with 100 pound dumbells (8)reps..

and Shoulder presses with 85..(8)reps...
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Sorry about the late reply.
Alex Moon wrote:Soontir, Don't kick yourself too much over your weight. It happens, especially in the first few semesters of college.
Yea, I won't. I'm going to buy salads to help waste the damn meal plan points which is what I should've done before, heh.
It sounds like your biggest problem is the availability of healthier foods. Head down to the bookstore and buy either the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook or The New Joy of Cooking. Either one is a good starter cookbook which will cover the basics. I found I could lose weight even while eating "richer" foods, because if I made them, they tasted better, so I was more easily satisfied.
I'll be sure t check them out. I'll probably take a walk instead of the train to get there (B&N is at least three miles away and I don't know of any other bookstores nearby).
You seem to have a good idea about the rest. Don't overdo it on the exercise. Your body needs time to adjust and combined with better eating habits, you really don't need much more than three times a week.
Yea, I can attest to that. I've been playing soccer for an hour every day and walking for awhile throughout the day. My appetite is starting to lessen as I only seem to want to eat half of what I usually get and I am starting to loathe the taste of fried foods and soda.
______
I haven't been jogging lately though as I need to see a doctor for the pain in my legs. There's a point on each of them that hurts when I place pressure on them plus there's a sharp pain on my right that would jut out at various and annoying times. I hate setbacks but I'm not going to risk fucking up my legs any more than I need to.

An addendum: I bought a scale after that post and I was actually 220 pounds(whoa) but currently, I am down to 210 which is fantastic to say the least after these few weeks. :D
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

I haven't posted in here in a couple of months....

Anyhow, there's really nothing new to report. I'm still at the same weight I was last time I posted. Only now, I've figured out why: I've been fooling myself. It's just one more sausage, it's just one more chocolate, it's just one more....

I'm living at home right now and, while my lack of self-control is ultimately to blame, my parents act as sort of enablers towards that end. We go out to eat, my mom *has* to "have something sweet with my tea" which means large jars of chocolates sitting around, my sister brings back bags of candy from Scotland, my dad's idea of dinner is steak, a potato slathered in butter and beans (greens?), etc.

Now, I realize that it sounds very much like I'm attempting to pass blame off on them. That would be the easy way to do things, but I'm not. My point is that in this environment, my lack of self control tends to ruin me. I'm amazed that I'm even able to maintain my weight.

What I really need to do is get back out on my own where I can keep a tighter control on what is in the house and what gets cooked... but that's going to be 4 or 5 months off at the very least.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

The Spartan wrote:I haven't posted in here in a couple of months....

Anyhow, there's really nothing new to report. I'm still at the same weight I was last time I posted. Only now, I've figured out why: I've been fooling myself. It's just one more sausage, it's just one more chocolate, it's just one more....

I'm living at home right now and, while my lack of self-control is ultimately to blame, my parents act as sort of enablers towards that end. We go out to eat, my mom *has* to "have something sweet with my tea" which means large jars of chocolates sitting around, my sister brings back bags of candy from Scotland, my dad's idea of dinner is steak, a potato slathered in butter and beans (greens?), etc.

Now, I realize that it sounds very much like I'm attempting to pass blame off on them. That would be the easy way to do things, but I'm not. My point is that in this environment, my lack of self control tends to ruin me. I'm amazed that I'm even able to maintain my weight.

What I really need to do is get back out on my own where I can keep a tighter control on what is in the house and what gets cooked... but that's going to be 4 or 5 months off at the very least.
If you can't leave just yet.. Can you increase your Exercise? and then work on Portion control..
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Increasing my exercise is what I'm shooting for right now. But there's only so much I can do and still have time for other things that I use to decompress, e.g. playing with my dog (kinda exercise), playing guitar, playing games, etc.

The portion control is the real problem. That's where my lack of self-control comes into play. I've found that the only consistantly effective way for me to maintain it is by strictly measuring everything and not allowing any snack food in the house. The former I can typically of accomplish if I'm not being constantly badgered about it but the latter I have almost no control over. Took me 7 months to convince my mom to finally do something about the damn chocolate, after I had eaten 2 jars worth.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Since people are posting updates, I might as well do mine. It's been good recently to have positive comments from people who haven't seen me in a long time. One of my friends said I had 'massive' arms now, and all comment how I am looking good and fit! My weight this morning was 10 stone 3, which is probably slightly misleading because I didn't eat much yesterday.

I am currently training up for a fitness test for a potential future employer in September, so I am working on press ups and sit ups, as well as running for bleep test prep. After staying out of the gym for 2 months when I left uni I am now back in there 3-4 times a week, so things are going well! I definantly don't need to lose any more weight - I just want to look more muscular and improve my strength, because I am quite weak compared to my friends although I am above average for people of my size.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Ubiquitous wrote:Since people are posting updates, I might as well do mine. It's been good recently to have positive comments from people who haven't seen me in a long time. One of my friends said I had 'massive' arms now, and all comment how I am looking good and fit! My weight this morning was 10 stone 3, which is probably slightly misleading because I didn't eat much yesterday.

I am currently training up for a fitness test for a potential future employer in September, so I am working on press ups and sit ups, as well as running for bleep test prep. After staying out of the gym for 2 months when I left uni I am now back in there 3-4 times a week, so things are going well! I definantly don't need to lose any more weight - I just want to look more muscular and improve my strength, because I am quite weak compared to my friends although I am above average for people of my size.
Nice work Ubiq.... Free weights are the key to increasing muscle mass and strength.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Who knows, maybe in a year or two I will be at the stage where I can lift half the amount you can? :lol:
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Ubiquitous wrote:Who knows, maybe in a year or two I will be at the stage where I can lift half the amount you can? :lol:
Keep at it.. stay consistent.. challenge yourself.. and use strict form.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

theski wrote:... and use strict form.
This needs to be emphasized, I think. I have injured myself because of a lack of attention to form and let me tell you, it's a hard lesson.
Soy un perdedor.
Soontir C'boath

Update: From July 27 of my last post here at the weight of 210, I am today down to 205. :D I am so happy it's going down and not up.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Soontir C'boath wrote:Update: From July 27 of my last post here at the weight of 210, I am today down to 205. :D I am so happy it's going down and not up.
Congrats... and stay out of Little Italy.. It will help the diet :D
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

My weight hasn't really gone anywhere, yet. But that's going to change as I'm definitely even more active than I was before. That dog loves to run!
Soy un perdedor.
Soontir C'boath

theski wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:Update: From July 27 of my last post here at the weight of 210, I am today down to 205. :D I am so happy it's going down and not up.
Thanks, theski. :)

I'm still at ~205 but I just wore my shorts that I've been wearing since I was 220 without using the belt to hold it and HOLY SHIT! I could slip these shorts off without unbuttoning or unzipping it! :D
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
theski wrote:
Thanks, theski. :)

I'm still at ~205 but I just wore my shorts that I've been wearing since I was 220 without using the belt to hold it and HOLY SHIT! I could slip these shorts off without unbuttoning or unzipping it! :D
TMI! :D .. but sometimes the scale is not the factor. Your clothes are. CONGRATS..
Soontir C'boath

theski wrote:[TMI! :D .. but sometimes the scale is not the factor. Your clothes are. CONGRATS..
Yub! I'm definitely feeling more happier seeing the difference with the clothes than the scale. :D
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Well, I'm back again, this time for good. I've lost about five pounds, and I'm hoping that I can ultimately lose about 30 lbs.

I'm trying to see if I can go two weeks without fried food, if I can, to try to break the weaken the hold it has on me. That kind of stuff, in the form of chicken, Chinese, and the like was a big pitfall for me when I last tried to diet.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood