Army Doctrine in Afghanistan

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

oberon
Padawan Learner

Army Doctrine in Afghanistan

Post by oberon »

Just wondering if y'all had any thunks on why the 3rd Brigade of 101 Air was ordered to leave their 105mm Howitzers behind, contrary to everything we've ever done before, when deploying to the largest op we've had so far.
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
Pendragon
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendragon »

Maybe they figured the guns wouldnt look good in desert camouflage?
"Perfect. It's everything a girl could hope for: Expensive, explosive and phallic."
- Critical Maas
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Maybe they were too tough to haul around in the terrain? I don't know why they didn't go in sooner and set up bases of forward operations.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Im not sure, this is a good question. Notice how the Army didnt bring any artillery or M113's which are all air transportable? The cynical part of me says they dont want to show they can deploy with such things so that the Army can go ahead with its wheeled armoured vehicle plans.

I suppose it would be pretty hard to get a helicopter to haul a 105 in the thin mountain air. Where are you going to put them? With a few exceptions dont the Taliban/Al Qieda forces operate in real small groups.
Im just throwing ideas out here.

One thing that occured to me during the 10th Mountain's fight in Operation Anaconda was that they need a pack gun. Something on wheels that can be man handled or pulled by a donkey. I know that sound ridiculous in our modern Army, but sometimes low tech works. I dont know where I read this, but small pack guns were common equipment for Mountain Divisions during WW2.

I saw a film of Marines fighting in Hue ( sp? ) during Vietnam. They bolted a recoiless rifle to a small wagon with two car wheels. They were rolling it around shooting at buildings. Something like that might have been useful. Its not artillery but it would have given them some additional punch.

Its hard to say, we are not there so I all we can offer is speculation.
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

I was watching CSPAN and heard it from Senator Cleland (forget his state), he was questioning Rumsfeld abt it in the same sentence complaining abt something Rummy had canceled, so it sounds more political than tactical. I didn't stick around to hear Rummy's response but Cleland sounded pretty pissed off abt it.
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:44 am Post subject:

I was watching CSPAN and heard it from Senator Cleland (forget his state), he was questioning Rumsfeld abt it in the same sentence complaining abt something Rummy had canceled, so it sounds more political than tactical. I didn't stick around to hear Rummy's response but Cleland sounded pretty pissed off abt it.
He was probably mad about Rumsfeld's decision to cancel the Crusader. Which i personally think was the right decision. I believe this Senator is from Georgia, evidently he lossed a limb in Vietnam at Khe Sahn.
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

Oh yeah, the Crusader. yup