Bad Grammar

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lusankya
ChiCom

Bad Grammar

Post by Lusankya »

Which bad grammar patterns piss you of the most? here's my list:
  • "Could of" instead of "could have". It's bad enough in speech, when it's could just be people being lazy when they say "could've", but then they write "could of", which just shows that they have no idea.
  • An example: "Me and Sam went to the movies." Firstly, convention puts the speaker in last position. Secondly, "me" is objective, when it is clearly used in the subjective position. The sentence should read "Sam and I went to the movies"I don't mind the "me" coming at the front or near the middle when the speaker is listing a lot of people (say reciting attendees at a party), but using it like this is just plain sloppy.
  • "yous". The jury is actually still out on this one, because I'm not sure if it's bad grammar, or just part of the Australian dialect. It's actually used quite consistently, as plural "you" in not-too-polite company.
There, that's it for the moment. There's more, but these are the big three. I'm not a grammar Nazi (I get my whos and whoms mixed up with the best of them), I just hate these little things that show general laziness and, dare I say it, stupidity.

Egads! I hope I didn't make some huge error there that everyone will laugh at. Methinks that would be rather embarrassing. :oops:
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Is that YOU in that avatar?

Phew!

8)

Back to the point, I hate all bad grammar (and people who spell grammar wrong when preaching about it).

I also hate American spelling and stuff like email. You see, back in the old glory days of England, highwaymen used to attack Royal Post deliveries until one day the King made the decision to equip all the postmen with chainmail, hence the name of the UK post company, Royal Mail. Mail is the chainmail they used, post is what they delivered.

Also, what is an airplane? One made of air I would assume, over here we say aeroplane. :wink:
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

It's not quite me. It's just someone who looks like me. It fooled my mum for a bit.

Did I make any big mistakes in my little rant there?
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Well, I will admit to having bad grammar. It is a result of having jobs that do not require much in the way of report writing. Email and modern office packages with spell checkers do much to degrade English abilities.

I remember when I graduated from SJSU I was so mad at people who had bad grammer online in chat rooms and games like Diablo. Pretty soon, I was just like them. AFK, LOL, ROFL, etc.

I think practice makes perfect, and honestly I do not get enough.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I'm sorry my English is not the Best
If you want I can contiue in Farshi my Grammer is much better in that laungage :twisted:
Yes I know I abuse it but I do well for somone who's first lanugage was not English :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

"yous". The jury is actually still out on this one, because I'm not sure if it's bad grammar, or just part of the Australian dialect. It's actually used quite consistently, as plural "you" in not-too-polite company.
It's part of the New York City-Dago-Whop (yes, all you PC Police officers, I am Italian, so I can say that) dialect. "Shaadap da boata yous!" Or, similarly, "Shaaaaaaadapa yo mouth!"
There, that's it for the moment. There's more, but these are the big three. I'm not a grammar Nazi (I get my whos and whoms mixed up with the best of them), I just hate these little things that show general laziness and, dare I say it, stupidity.
Chatting with people online who say "what r u up 2" and stuff like that is generally annoying, but tolerable. When I read BB postings with that kind of garbage in them, it just sickens me. It's a BBS, and you've got plenty of time to devote the extra microjoule of energy to typing "What are you doing?" as opposed to the ridiculous online abbreviations. Since the inception of the internet, the acumen of English grammatical ability has gone to Hell. See Adam Warlock's posts for an indication, and then notice that he doesn't even bother capitalizing his own name.
Egads! I hope I didn't make some huge error there that everyone will laugh at. Methinks that would be rather embarrassing.
Yes, you did.
...but using it like this is just plain sloppy.
Something isn't "plain" sloppy, it's plainly sloppy. "Sloppy" is an adjective, and any modifier attached to it will be an adverb, and the adverb form of "plain" is "plainly." The same goes for many of the common sayings in America. "He just outright did it!" No, he just outrightly did it.

Fortunately for you, it's so disgustingly common that it's not really a big deal.

Oh, and 1337-speak is fucking annoying.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I don't like it when people use "they're" intead of "their" when taking about possesives.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

What I hate is apostrophe abuse. Adding an unneeded apostrophe to a word or not including one that's needed always manages to set me off. Mixing up homophones, like two/too/to or they're/their/there, is another peeve that I see all too often. You can guess my reaction, then, when I saw this line in a game: "Come on, lets do marshal art's!" (two instances of apostrophe abuse on top of an incorrect homophone, and not even a true one). I'm glad I went for biochem instead of English, as otherwise I'd probably go insane from knowing even more rules that are abused daily.
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

I've always detested people who end their sentences with a preposition. Now why would anyone want to do that for?
Evil Sadistic Bastard
Hentai Tentacle Demon

Post by Evil Sadistic Bastard »

I intensely despise the moronic speech patterns exhibited by those subhumans that routinely flame Mike and who hurl abuse on message boards. I.E. " Are starships are supeur to yurs "

If you're going to be a fidiot at least try to hide it! Stupidity is contagious, you know!

(No offense to all the other decent people out there who misspell stuff and misuse words... But some people are really dumb.)
Believe in the sign of Hentai.

BotM - Hentai Tentacle Monkey/Warwolves - Evil-minded Medic/JL - Medical Jounin/Mecha Maniacs - Fuchikoma Grope Attack!/AYVB - Bloody Bastards.../GALE Force - Purveyor of Anal Justice/HAB - Combat Medical Orderly

Combat Medical Orderly(Also Nameless Test-tube Washer) : SD.Net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I hate it when people use the word "there" when they mean "they're" or "their." It makes no sense. Is it really that hard?

In any case, I also hate people who use the word "two" instead of "too" or "to." That pattern is the one that irks me the most.

I do hate people who use "could of" in writing. It's terrible, and I would hate living in a place where lots of slack-jawed yokels kept saying the word "yous" to mean a group of people that they are addressing. That would drive me nuts.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."