Moderator: Edi

Have you ever put on a kilt?

Yes and I would again.
22%
Yes and I would not do it again.
No votes
No but I would like too.
44%
No and I never will (and no only sith deal in absolutes comments).
34%

Total votes: 50

Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Kilts

Post by Glimmervoid »

Have you ever worn a Kilt?

Ok last night I put on a kilt for the second time in my life and I have to say it was quite comfortable so I thought I would find out what people hear thought about kilts.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Eh, I'm a chick, so I haven't worn one nor do I have a particular desire to, but if I was presented with the chance I probably would since I imagine it's like wearing a big, thick wool skirt. Not my favourite thing to wear, but what the hell. It's just not very likely that someone will walk up to me, kilt in hand, and ask me to try it on.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Yes, I've got one, although perhaps with an admittedly tenuous claim to be able to wear it. Still, my reasoning is I'm half scottish, I was born north of Hadrian's Wall and generally the scottish side of my family is a lot more interesting and ubiquitous than the barnsley side of things. Eh up.

First time I wore a kilt, about 20 people lifted it to see what was worn underneath, but everything was in good condition, ho ho. Second time was at the sixth form do, where I think everyone knew me to well to really want to know. It has since been worn in several places, most recently at Bangor Uni's bash, where a picture taken up it currently graces the walls of the breakfast cafe.

The jacket is currently missing a button, and I managed to lose the damn kilt pin somewhere on the streets of Bangor, but it'll get an airing again at my friend's wedding.

I find it quite comfortable and very snappy to wear to important functions, it's something that will last me the rest of my life as it can only grow outwards. And whether I'm wearing anything underneath it is none of your damn business.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nitram's worn a kilt... I'll post a pic when I get home.

I wear the 'arabis', or women's plaid quite often. It's one of the first SCA garb pieces I ever owned. 9ft of wool/cotton blend in blue/green (yes I cheated), and I've a 9ft full wool in 'Stuart Hunting' that Nit wears.

ALso, we wear Ancient, not Traditional kilts. The kilts seen today are all post-1700s, with the little jacket and all. Ours are just pleated wraps over saffron shirts, and Nitram's hits slightly below the knee. Mine is shoe-top length. The only kilt pin we need is the broach at the shoulder.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

I really don't like wearing shorts outside. My hairy, pasty-white legs are nothing to look at. Same for skirts. Pants for me.

That said, although I would never wear kilts on a regular basis, being a Scottish American I would give it a go. With shorts on underneath, of course.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

No. I'm determinedly English. My hereditary response to kilts is to reach for the longbow.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Even though I'm Irish, I would wear a kilt if I had one.

Though I do have a personal rule. I'm not allowed to get a kilt until I learn how to play the bagpipes.
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

I would give it a try if I had the oportunity. But I would certainly wear underwear :mrgreen:
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

If I ever felt a sudden urge to embrace my half Scottish side (pretty sure my last name is the Scottish one), then maybe. But since I don't really tend to acknowledge either side (Irish or Scottish) much, probably not.

Although, if persuaded, I might be willing to paint my face blue... :wink:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Civil War Man wrote:Even though I'm Irish, I would wear a kilt if I had one.

Though I do have a personal rule. I'm not allowed to get a kilt until I learn how to play the bagpipes.
The Irish Celts wore kilts too, only it's not wooly nor tartan.

When my best friend got married I wore a kilt, best mans duty, it was the most comfortable thing i ever wore in my life. Not as drafty as reported and every thing is just hanging free and easy. I'd defintely wear on again.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Yes, for a test run to see what they are like. Praticularly if i find myself in scotland.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

No. However in the off chance that I find myself in a situation where I'm forced to wear one, it will be full regimental style.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Why not... though perhaps not the traditional Scottish kilt...

http://www.utilikilt.com

While these are unconventional (to say the least) I've considered getting one at times. They're damn expensive, though... and here in Fundie-Land (otherwise known as Georgia) I'd be outright condemned as gay... and being straight, that'd pose difficulties for me, to say the least.

Oh yeah, sure, I'd be willing to try on the Scottish kilt too. In fact, I've even half considered wearing the 'Highland tux' to some occasions-- except I can never find any... :wink:
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

OMG I love guys in kilts. Its just awesome. Borderline hot. I have no idea why.

Kilts = :luv:
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

It'd be a shame to my ancestors if I didn't wear one at least once.
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

I wear kilts all the time, since I'm in a bagpipe band. :) Quite comfy, even in hot weather. Just yank it up and sit in front of a fan... :)
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I played the bagpipes for 5 years and was in a pipe band... Take a guess which way I voted...

Mmm... The freedom below.

And what do you wear under your kilt? A pair of shoes and socks.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I'd be willing to give it a try.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Why not, it's my heritage. That and I get to go commando. Yay commando!
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Another piper checking in - retired piper, stopped playing a number of years ago.*

Also married in a kilt.

* I sold my pipes to pay for flight lessons
The Morrigan
Jedi Knight
Location: Lost, somewhere within the realms of my own fevered imagination

Post by The Morrigan »

I have worn a kilt-like skirt. Don't know if that really counts.

I do like a man in a kilt though. Phwoar! :luv: :D
After all, this is completely straightforward. What could possibly go wrong?

THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR EMERGENCY PANTS!

I hate Matt Damon and there's not a damn thing you can do about it

No, I'm not on drugs. I'm like this all the time.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

I've never done it, but I'd like to (with shorts). I can claim some vague heritage, to boot.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Yes..at a cuzzies wedding. Would do so again if I could afford to buy a kilt..damned expensive things, new kilts.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I guess I should one day given my Scottish half, I was offered one from a Scottish mill store in my mother's tartan (Robertson, though can also use her middle name, McKenzie). Maybe I'll take her up on that offer in the future.
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Many times ^_^