Chopsticks: Are you a Sith Lord or padawan novice?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

What is your chopstick skill level?

I wield dual chopsticks fearlessly
49%
I can get the food from plate to mouth
25%
As long as the pieces are big and square, I'm ok
8%
I always ask the waiter for silverware
18%

Total votes: 141

Chmee
Sith Marauder

Chopsticks: Are you a Sith Lord or padawan novice?

Post by Chmee »

I'm enjoying a nice Korean BBQ pork lunch and using chopsticks as usual, but when I train people from out of town and take them to lunch near our office (where the food is mostly Asian because we're on the edge of the International District), a lot of them can't use chopsticks at all.

In Seattle, you might as well just give up on dating if you can't use chopsticks, so I thought I'd gauge SD'ers skill level here.
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

I rock the chopsticks out, yo.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I fear not the chopsticks. Although I hold them slightly differently. I hold the stationary one on my middle finger instead of my ring finger.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I'm generally pretty good with chopsticks. I can eat ramen noodles pretty well with them, and steamed rice also. Normal chunks of food, too, obviously. I do not fucking understand how people can eat fried rice with them, though. I'm not a patient enough eater for that.

One thing I've noticed about chopsticks is the disposable wooden ones are definitely superior to the nice ones you can buy in a store. They make look pretty, but if they get a little bit wet they become slippery as hell and hard to handle. The wooden ones are much easier to get a grasp on.
Last edited by Joe on 2005-06-21 03:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Having a Korean mother, who ENFORCED to eat this way for many years, along with more then a gaggle of relatives in the Pacfic, I've easily learned how to.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

I used to get the Walrus Face when using chop-sticks (two sticks hanging down from the mouth), but now I've mastered the art of chop-stick-foo and am skilled and agile in my ability to track down and pick up even the smallest bits of rice or Beef Teriyaki...
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Padawan novice? Mo' like completely Forceblind!

Bring me a fork!
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Durandal wrote:I fear not the chopsticks. Although I hold them slightly differently. I hold the stationary one on my middle finger instead of my ring finger.
Same here, but I have very long fingers, no problem getting the spacing you need.
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but

Operation Freedom Fry
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

Never had a problem with them.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

If we were to set up an experiment where I am tasked with eating rice with chopsticks ten times, nine of those ten times would end with me killing myself with them.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I have no hope what so ever to eat with chopsticks.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I can manage if absolutely forced to. Hell, I could probably even manage rice. Most foodstuffs aren't too tough to manage with chopsticks. But I infinitely prefer forks.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I usually end up getting frustrated and try to spear the food with one chopstick like it's a kabob. This is usually ineffective on rice, as you might imagine.

But of course, on the rare occasion I'm in an Asian restaurant, I refuse to be the only foreign devil in there eating with a fork. So I struggle with the fucking chopsticks.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

My chopstick-fu is mighty.

I can use them to pick daintily and shovel mightily. (Though usually shovel, it may not look pretty, but I can pick up more rice on chopsticks than I can on anything short of a dessert spoon)
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

*Use the Fork*
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

The power to use a spork is no match for the power of the chopsticks.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

RedImperator wrote:I usually end up getting frustrated and try to spear the food with one chopstick like it's a kabob. This is usually ineffective on rice, as you might imagine.
But highly amusing to watch, I'd wager. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Matt Huang wrote:The power to use a spork is no match for the power of the chopsticks.
I imagine that one would feel much more comfortable in a fight with a fork than chopsticks, thereby invalidating your statement. 8)

EDIT: A spork, even!
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

No problem, I would not call myself a master but I can eat with chopsticks wo any trubble
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I generally use chopsticks as skewers. :)
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to foods many would consider to be...tasty.

That aside, it's not a pathway I have a clue in, I'm hopeless with the blasted things. :)
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I'm very good with them. I can eat jello with chopsticks. That's skill. :)
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Considering that I learned at the early age of like 4, yes, using chopsticks is as natural as walking for me. There was this activity in Japanese class last year, where we had a competition on who could pick up the most green beans with chopsticks in a given time period... I won. I can pick up tofu and hard-boiled eggs with chopsticks, without spearing them. Now that's skill :P

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Big Phil
BANNED

Re: Chopsticks: Are you a Sith Lord or padawan novice?

Post by Big Phil »

Chmee wrote:I'm enjoying a nice Korean BBQ pork lunch and using chopsticks as usual, but when I train people from out of town and take them to lunch near our office (where the food is mostly Asian because we're on the edge of the International District), a lot of them can't use chopsticks at all.

In Seattle, you might as well just give up on dating if you can't use chopsticks, so I thought I'd gauge SD'ers skill level here.

What kinds of women are you dating? The furry hippie manhater wannabe's that infest Western and Evergreen, or the pseudo-yuppy sorority sluts that can be found in Belltown and Pioneer Square? Or even worse, the fat chicks who think they're "athletic" because they go for a hike a couple of times during summer.

I know more people here in Seattle that are chopstick-tarded than chopstick-capable.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Re: Chopsticks: Are you a Sith Lord or padawan novice?

Post by Chmee »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:
Chmee wrote:I'm enjoying a nice Korean BBQ pork lunch and using chopsticks as usual, but when I train people from out of town and take them to lunch near our office (where the food is mostly Asian because we're on the edge of the International District), a lot of them can't use chopsticks at all.

What kinds of women are you dating? The furry hippie manhater wannabe's that infest Western and Evergreen, or the pseudo-yuppy sorority sluts that can be found in Belltown and Pioneer Square? Or even worse, the fat chicks who think they're "athletic" because they go for a hike a couple of times during summer.

I know more people here in Seattle that are chopstick-tarded than chopstick-capable.
Mostly professional women that like to eat out at restaurants that don't have placemats that double as coloring books ....

Operation Freedom Fry