Schools

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

RedImperator wrote:In my experience, there are two kinds of teachers (in the United States, anyway)...
Dude, no shit!

I have never in my life seen a more complete analysis of our educational system.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I have never in my life seen a more complete analysis of our educational system.
A lot of it comes from talking to my old high school teachers after I graduated. I had some lousy teachers, but I had some amazingly good ones, too (one of them was the 1996 NJ Teacher of the Year). The sort of frustrations they deal with trying to do their jobs makes me wonder sometimes what the hell I'm thinking getting into their profession.

Just as an aside, I always thought Lord Wong would be a pretty good teacher. He's good at explaining complex concepts, he can tell a joke, and he's got zero tolerance for bullshit. He probably wouldn't last long enough to get tenure though--first year teachers usually aren't advised to ask principals, parents, school board members, etc. how they got their heads so far up their asses, and the Sith Lord would probably be sorely tempted to do so.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Instead of installing metal detectors in schools, they ought to install bullshit detectors. Anyone caught trying to bring in bullshit will immediately be sent home.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Instead of installing metal detectors in schools, they ought to install bullshit detectors. Anyone caught trying to bring in bullshit will immediately be sent home.
So you're looking to solve school violence and school overcrowding at the same time?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

hey I need to vent too.

I was in three HS but in the first two, only finished a semaster each, the rooms were often shitty and the material for the important math and science class were worthless, the I don't even think the second one even had a lab.

In my third HS, for two years in a row I managed straight A's and B's despite the fact I spent only a hour on HW combined for all classes. I essentially did nothing but "Reverse engineer" the answers as Sienthal put it. my GPA was a 3.89 or higher for both years, most of the time I just put myself on autopilot for the classes.

The third year was when had a real shithead for english teacher, a who couldn't keep his mouth shut about being old and fat, about he is alway going to be "ticked off" in a very rude tone, if you even tried to complain, he gets into a big shit about him being "Cranky because he is old", if he gives us shitty crap and the class failed, he stated "you are in 12th grade, deal with it" He never bothered to actually teach reading or writing, no "it's not important, I could have a cough and say I am dying but I could hold your grades in the balance and you must say I am angel.
:evil:

His idea of "taking great notes" as he often talked to you if you were dirt, is to essantially copy down the Grammar book word for word. oh and for those of you who think that the grammar he wanted is the same as grammar for good writing you could not be more wrong, His grammar is learn as he put it "to attach names to shit, as opposed to being able to actually write", I learned better "note taking" and writing skills from my various history classes then following the drivel of that bastard. :evil:

that scum made a regular english class harder then a Honors chemistry class, I actually had a easier time memorizing the various chemical formulas then every little crap about his "Proper english" and his Manly crap,indeed I was lucky to get a 78 at the end of the year but managed rather easily to get A- to B- elsewhere with no real effort.

he is PC race baiter to boot, thinking that the word manhole or the normal use of he/she is so sexist but his own atitude is only being "a good tough guy", half the students think he is both a drug addict and a drunk as well, which he is. :evil:

I forgot to mention, one only needed to "pass" four class and not fail more then 2 major classes to graduate, the lack of computer training course there is pathetic, you are lucky if you could even get keyboarding, being only a half credit. :x

vent off.

"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

So true I ran into a high school history teacher who though his school just built a new INDOOR, air-conditioned stadium for thier Foot-ball and soccer teams with astro-turf(A good twenty rows of bleachers built on both sides to plus a new score board) they lobbyed for the money and the school had a ton of fund raisers for this but however this History teacher was rather bitter

Though the statdium is indeed a nice one
His class still uses history books that still call Russia *The Soviet Union :shock:

Yep that old

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I'm actually considering getting my doctorate and lecturing at university if things go well enough...

Maybe not such a good idea.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Getting the doctorate is my fallback plan, in case it turns out I hate teaching high school. I don't want to become one of those burned-out drones showing up every morning for the paycheck.
X-Ray Blues