OMG! State-sponsored religion!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Cirrocu
Redshirt

OMG! State-sponsored religion!

Post by Darth Cirrocu »

Heh. This is borderline trolling, but I'm in a bad mood today, so here goes:

MILITARY CHAPLAINS. CHAPELS ON MILITARY BASES.

Check this out, you've got taxpayer money paying for not only houses of worship on Gub Mint property, but also pay, entitlements, and benefits for men (and a few women) whose only mission is to provide counseling to the military, both spiritual and nonspiritual.

The horror! Surely this is a part of Ashcroft's grand scheme to shackle the masses with "WWJD" bracelets and bring about his vision of America!

Oh...wait. Chaplains have been around since the time of the Continental Army. And there are also Muslim, Buddhist, and Jewish chaplains. Drat.

Can't say I've ever heard of an atheist chaplain, though. Waitaminit...
<=======Darth Cirrocu=======>

"Arashi no nakade kagayaite."

"Coelum ad Proelium Elige"
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Aethiest Chaplain?

Isn't that a oxymorone?
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Athiest
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

:oops:
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Well, it is also a slightly different matter, since it falls under a legitimate military concern; morale.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Steve wrote:Well, it is also a slightly different matter, since it falls under a legitimate military concern; morale.
But its still ogvernment funded religon. Does that mean if I got together a whole slew of Military guys, coverted them all to believing in Cthulu, then the Military would hire a Chaplin for us?

Also, the Chaplins for Atheists are at the local Hooters.
Darik Sdair
Youngling

Post by Darik Sdair »

But its still ogvernment funded religon. Does that mean if I got together a whole slew of Military guys, coverted them all to believing in Cthulu, then the Military would hire a Chaplin for us?
Actually, I believe a few years back there was some controversy when local civilians threw a fit that the Army was allowing a neo-pagan/wiccan type group to conduct services on base. I don't believe there was a formal chaplain (I seem to recall something about % of population and such to warrant them), but the military was definitely allowing the religeon to be practiced.

As I understand it, chaplains are not considered purveyors of state-sponsored religeon because their services are intended for people who are already members of those beliefs. As was stated above, I think its more of a morale thing than an attempt to push the religeon or grant it an aegis of officialdom.
Banzai!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Acutal after a single phone call I found out if I'm am American Army man I can get a Preacher/Minster/Imam/Lama if I ask
They keep a Christian Minster on base simply because its the most common religion ATM in the Army

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

It's state-sponsore religion alright. These days, you can't say "God bless you" to someone who sneezes without it being declared "a violation of the seperation of church and state".

In my opinion, this "Church and state" stuff has gotten out of hand. ROger Williams must be spinning in hsi grave.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB