Soda Wars: What do YOU call it? (serious)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

What do you call carbonated beverages in general?

Pop
19%
Soda
28%
Soda-pop
No votes
Coke (yes, some call all of them Coke, but mostly in Texas)
28%
I always specify brand
16%
Tonic (old, mostly around New England (particularly Boston, but rare these days)
No votes
Minerals (also old, but still used in some New England places)
2%
Other (please specify, but only if it's serious, so nothing silly)
7%

Total votes: 43

Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

useless trivia here:

Coke was born in Atlanta, Georgia.
Pepsi was born in North Carolina.

Concidering they both are products of the South, could that be the reason why Southerners always distinguish it as being either Coke or Pepsi?
Dirty Harry
Padawan Learner

Post by Dirty Harry »

I call it coke.Shit, now that I think of it, I haven't drunk Pepsi in years.
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species.
I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. - Jack, Fight club

Post by Guest »

Soda or brand
Mr. Mister
Youngling

Post by Mr. Mister »

Hmm... I hadn't thought about Pepsi being from the South... But nobody goes and specifies about RC Cola, do they? No.

Now, I'm from Atlanta, and a perfectly normal thing to say/hear is as follows:

Person One: Hey, you want a Coke or something?
Person Two: Sure, what do you have?
Person One: Well, I got some Sprites, and a couple Dr. Peppers.

or, my favorite:

Person One: Hey, want something to drink?
Person Two: Sure. You got any Cokes?
Person One: Yeah. Let me see what I have... I've got a few ginger ales and a can of Orange Crush.
Person Two: Orange Crush.

Rule of thumb: if it fizzes, it's beer or Coke. Coke is a kind of Coke.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Slight flaw there Kelly. What I'll call 'true' southerners that were pretty much born and raised here say coke. No differentiating from pepsi or coke. it's just coke.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

DG_Cal_Wright wrote:Slight flaw there Kelly. What I'll call 'true' southerners that were pretty much born and raised here say coke. No differentiating from pepsi or coke. it's just coke.
That is probably because Coke was distributed wider than Pepsi earlier.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

That would be it. It's the real thing after all. :lol: funny thing is, I drink Pepsi more than coke.

An nonsense joke for you too. I asked this girl in my class, her name, guess what is Kelly, LOL, what she called it, and she was with me on the coke thing, Then she started making fun of how people say 'pop'. lol. it was pretty good.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

DG_Cal_Wright wrote:That would be it. It's the real thing after all. :lol: funny thing is, I drink Pepsi more than coke.

An nonsense joke for you too. I asked this girl in my class, her name, guess what is Kelly, LOL, what she called it, and she was with me on the coke thing, Then she started making fun of how people say 'pop'. lol. it was pretty good.
I'm sure verilon would agree with me here, but when I worked at the movie theater, people would come up and ask for a pop or a soda. I would stand there and go "what?" At that point I would list every drink we have.

People are morons.
Sylvar Fyre
Redshirt

Post by Sylvar Fyre »

I call it soda, even if I am from the midwest, where it's pop.

At least I know what "pop" is. My cousin from New York, seriously didn't know that pop meant soda.
"Buddy, get your booger fingers off my nuts!"
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Sylvar Fyre wrote:I call it soda, even if I am from the midwest, where it's pop.

At least I know what "pop" is. My cousin from New York, seriously didn't know that pop meant soda.
In NZ 'pop' is your grandfather.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

I once boarded a plane to the US, and all the attendants were english-speaking only (which is quite stupid in an international flight, BTW, but I've never used the same airline again) and the woman approached me with her little beverage cart and asked me if I wanted something to drink.

"Can I have a soda?"
Blank stare

"You know, a can of pop..."
Blanker stare

"Can I have a Sprite with ice, please?"

She gave me a Sprite with ice.
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Slartibartfast wrote:I once boarded a plane to the US, and all the attendants were english-speaking only (which is quite stupid in an international flight, BTW, but I've never used the same airline again) and the woman approached me with her little beverage cart and asked me if I wanted something to drink.

"Can I have a soda?"
Blank stare

"You know, a can of pop..."
Blanker stare

"Can I have a Sprite with ice, please?"

She gave me a Sprite with ice.
the moral of this story is: Just because they speak English does not mean they know American cololquilisms for fizzy drinks.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------