Report board software problems here

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Re: Report board software problems here

Post by Executor32 »

Addendum: They also work correctly in Chrome for Android, where they're displayed with Youtube's HTML 5 player. I'm going to try disabling Flash on my desktop to see if it'll do likewise.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

No dice, unfortunately. still just a blank area. Using Chrome's DOM inspector to replace the embed code with the HTML5 version makes it finally load, though obviously doing that manually every time I want to watch an embedded Youtube video is just silly. Is it possible to update the [youtube] tags so they use the HTML5 embed in the first place? I imagine we could fix the https problem at the same time.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

I've noticed a couple of annoying glitches the last few days.

On random threads, I'm no longer getting email notifications. I see the threads appear in the New Posts list, but no emails in my inbox (and nothing in my junk mail folders, either).

For the last couple of days I've been unable to reach the stardestroyer.net site for a few hours in the afternoon (GMT). All other browser activity is unaffected, it just abruptly stops resolving all forum links, giving me (eventually) a standard timeout error.

Anyone else?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

SpottedKitty wrote:For the last couple of days I've been unable to reach the stardestroyer.net site for a few hours in the afternoon (GMT). All other browser activity is unaffected, it just abruptly stops resolving all forum links, giving me (eventually) a standard timeout error.

Anyone else?
It's been happening for me as well, though not at the same time (early afternoon, EST).

Also, spoiler tags don't seem to be working, they refuse to open for some reason. Spoiler
wonky
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

spoiler tags don't seem to work if you quote something before them like
this
why this happens I dunno, could be a fault in the coding.
Last edited by Dalton on 2016-11-21 02:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: snipped out spoiler tag
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

And now I'm getting no email notifications at all except in the US Election thread. They're still marked as subscribed, and when I pop in to read them, the unread posts still have the coloured marker.

Yes, that means this thread is silent as well — I had to go back to an email from the beginning of the week to get a direct link.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

My old problem of frequently not seeing embedded YouTube videos is flaring up again. This time I tried an "Inspect Element" on the blank space in the post, and got this error message:
Rewriting old-style Youtube Flash embed (http://www.youtube.com/v/NNrK7xVG3PM) to iframe embed (http://www.youtube.com/embed/NNrK7xVG3PM). Please update page to use iframe instead of embed/object, if possible.
Blocked loading mixed active content "http://www.youtube.com/embed/NNrK7xVG3PM"[Learn More]
Does this give anyone ideas for a fix? IIRC there are others still with the same problem.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Yeah, that's what I was just posting about last week, up at the top of this page. Since then, I've discovered Chrome has a new feature that by default blocks plugin content it doesn't consider 'important'; I've tried disabling it, but still all I get are blank spaces.

IIRC Mike is still the only one with the necessary privileges to modify tag backend code, so I think the only fix is going to be either for Mike to mosey on over here and update the youtube tag to use the newer embed code, or for him to delegate such things to one or more admins and grant them the necessary powers. I think the latter would be the better option in the long run; hell, he honestly should've done that a long time ago, back when he first decided to de facto retire from the board and (understandably) devote his spare time to much more important shit.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

FWIW, this is in Firefox (latest version), not Chrome.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Still the same problem at the root of it, methinks, though they load fine in Firefox for me. Literally the only browser they don't work in for me is Chrome, even other Chromium/Blink-based browsers load them without issue.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

The boards SSL certificate expired yesterday :(
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Ace Pace wrote:The boards SSL certificate expired yesterday
Confirmed, just had to jump through the usual hoops to force Firefox to let me in just now. Didn't this happen before? How long are these things valid for before needing renewal, anyway?
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Yes, it's happened before. I don't believe it's been that long since it did.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

When I pulled up the board just now, and also yesterday, Firefox (private mode) didn't show the bit at the bottom of the front page where it lets you quick-login, how many members are online and whose birthday it is, etc. Doesn't much affect me since I just hit 'login' but it was nice to have the quick-login.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Wookiee
Lex Wookos

Post by The Wookiee »

Kicking the SSL issue up the ladder.

Not sure what the issue is Elheru. Clear your cache?
"I suggest a new strategy, Artoo: Let The Wookiee win."
SDnet BBS Administrator: Service With A Roar (And A Hydrospanner)
Knight of the Order of the Galactic Empire

Do not taunt The Wookiee.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Dunno what did it, the quick-login came back for me today. We'll just call that one a blip.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Any update on the security certificate? I don't like having to tell my browser to ignore the problem (this time (again)).
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Did something get done to the forum yesterday? I'm suddenly getting e-mail notifications again.

Still having to bypass the lack of a valid security certificate, though. Just how safe (or not) is this situation?
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

SpottedKitty wrote:Did something get done to the forum yesterday? I'm suddenly getting e-mail notifications again.

Still having to bypass the lack of a valid security certificate, though. Just how safe (or not) is this situation?
Not bad. The certificate is still the same it always was, it's just out of date, meaning no one is garunteeing it's the same Wong running the side. :)
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

The magnificent StarDestroyer.Net logo has been replaced with a phpbb logo for some godforsaken reason. This offends me. Please change it back.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Darth Wong installed a small update earlier today, probably hasn't customized it yet.

It also changed the url used for search results for some reason. I only care because it broke my bookmark to the "Your Posts" page. A terrible problem, obviously.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yep, just seeing a phpbb symbol. It's mildly disturbing.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Might be a cacheing issue, I'm seeing the logo as normal.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

or a theme one? I'm using milleniumfalcon-SDN and still see the ISD's broadside.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Oh yeah, I was using subsilver 2. I've been using it for so long I almost forgot there were other themes :P
It works normally with other themes, though the SDN logo is slightly different to the one I'm used to seeing.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)