computer WTF?!?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Hyperion
Village Idiot

computer WTF?!?

Post by Hyperion »

been having some really funky computer problems with that ECS/elitegroup thing... it sorta works now...it's posessed though...

put it together in a new case, loaded it up, everything seems to work fine.
load half life DoD, runs fine for about 2 minutes, then locks/drops out and the LAN connection's gone, reset, whoops, no FDC and the hardware monitor is reading max on all fields as in vcore 4.08v, and cpu core temp of -33F... uh WTF?!
reset CMOS, still does it, pull plug and let sit for a few, no longer powers up, accidentally hit the RESET switch and it powers up... repeat as many times as you want it'll still go sky high the same way...

you have any idea? i'm gonna put this damned demon-infested mainboard thru the ECS reps' car window at this rate...

this is just wierd, now it won't even access any DoD servers...says they're there, can access the internet, but won't connect to the servers, and to add insult to injury, i can't get onto windows update... lol...
"Freak on a leash! Freak on a leash!"
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Bash it with a stick. Computers are smart enough to not want that to happen and will begin functioning correctly after a few blows. :)
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Azeron
Village Idiot

Post by Azeron »

Ohh, your computer just hates you.

I suggest getting a new one, and treating it better.
The Biblical God is more evil than any Nazi who ever lived, and Satan is arguably the hero of the Bible. -- Darth Wong, Self Proffessed Biblical Scholar
Hyperion
Village Idiot

Post by Hyperion »

it's brand new!!
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

spank it.
JADAFETWA
Hyperion
Village Idiot

Post by Hyperion »

i'm already thinking of tying a rope to the comp, and the other end of the rope to the towball on my truck then going offroading...
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Image[/quote]
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I generally keep a 9V battery, 3 metres of copper wire and an iron nail handy when using my computer.

When it inevitably starts behaving badly I start construction of an electromagnet and instantly it begins behaving properly. I swear that it even overclocks itself to appease me.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Salm's nice picture is why you don't trust the avarage idiot

If you have problems before the Computer does not even start booting, one cannont Blaim the OS

Now then lets acutal give you some useful information

Now then!

What Motherboard(Also know as Mainboard to some) are you running and what BIOS version are yea running, It sounds almost like a Bad flash but not quite...

But I need those two facts before we can go further

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Azeron
Village Idiot

Post by Azeron »

like I said, go buy a new one, and treat that one better. I hear Wong runs a "home for the recovery of mistreated new computers", you could send it there where it could recover and live in what remains of its preasently shattered life.
The Biblical God is more evil than any Nazi who ever lived, and Satan is arguably the hero of the Bible. -- Darth Wong, Self Proffessed Biblical Scholar
Hyperion
Village Idiot

Post by Hyperion »

the thing was bad to begin with...

ECS/elitegroup K7S5A v3.0, bios 10/16/2001 S

it's a piece of shit, don't buy that company's crap.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

ECS/elitegroup K7S5A
Ouchy theres your problem to begin with...
10/16/2001 S
Problem number 2

Download and install the newest Version of the BIOS

And if that does not fix your problem(Or there is not a new one)
You=Fucked

You buy you boards from Abit, Asus, and Soyo are the typical *Top three
There's a fourth good one I always forget the name but consider this
I started out building fixing and repair repairing computers when 486 was NEXT Years Technology...
And I've always used those boards over a total of... yes over 300 Computers built by myself with MY BARE HANDS(*indicates slight scared hands)
Oh and another thing you learn real fast which computer casese to buy and which companys to sue after useing/trying to open over 1000 computer cases
(To this day I walk the Earth in Search of the Cases Desginers of Compaq for I have sworn a blood oath to remove such evil from this earth...)

anyway back to the point, You don't fuck yourself over EVER with two things

1. Cheap Ram
2.Cheap Motherboards

Remeber that

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

I often hit my CPU, my 98 never froze or anything great combo with IBM & Windows 98
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Hyperion
Village Idiot

Post by Hyperion »

yeah no shit it's the ECS cheap shit, that mofo's going thru the rep's windsheild if they won't give my money back...

hell i got something to post... will post the pic of this damn glitch...

btw, here's specs for all other internals in this machine:

samsung 13.9GB drive
nvidia TNT2 AGP vanta-16
256mb (128x2) toshiba pc-133 SDRAM (known good)
intel pro-100 pci, though it may have an issue as it was kyped from the college comp lab's "bad?" box...has worked thus far though....lol...

the onboard NIC's dead though, if i try to run halflife DoD on it, it crashes out then fouls the bios... if i run with a differant NIC, it crashes but doesn't kill the bios.

btw, no updated bios... and yes, i am thinking maybe faulty flash to begin with... or intermittant failure in the CMOS/chipset.
Hyperion
Village Idiot

Post by Hyperion »

am i the only one seeing an issue with this?

Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Hyperion wrote:yeah no shit it's the ECS cheap shit, that mofo's going thru the rep's windsheild if they won't give my money back...

hell i got something to post... will post the pic of this damn glitch...

btw, here's specs for all other internals in this machine:

samsung 13.9GB drive
nvidia TNT2 AGP vanta-16
256mb (128x2) toshiba pc-133 SDRAM (known good)
intel pro-100 pci, though it may have an issue as it was kyped from the college comp lab's "bad?" box...has worked thus far though....lol...

the onboard NIC's dead though, if i try to run halflife DoD on it, it crashes out then fouls the bios... if i run with a differant NIC, it crashes but doesn't kill the bios.

btw, no updated bios... and yes, i am thinking maybe faulty flash to begin with... or intermittant failure in the CMOS/chipset.
Haha, my comp is good my proccessor is a AMD K-^ 2/333 Mz a damn dinosaur! Anyone know if people can buy new processors if not. Oh, well new comp.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Update that BIOS Right the Fuck NOW, No wonder its fucking all to Hell, you've got a partialr corrupt in the secotion thats holding your Voltage Settings

Its one of two things, one a random corrupt thats just fucking it up in general or two specifcly the Voltage area is fucked meaning the reason it crashes is the fact it CPU is cooking itself,
Emergancy shutdown(Crashing it will look like to you)
Then starting back up agian

Next time you boot up, grap a Home thermoeter and after you crash yank the case open(Best to do it ahead of time) and if the Themomter reads anywhere over 120F you know your CPU is crashing due to Heat problems

Hyperion
Village Idiot

Post by Hyperion »

when it does work, the CPU caps out at 118 and holds, when it crashes, it underclocks judging by the fact the heatsink will cool off over a few minutes and the machine is sluggish as hell.
Hyperion
Village Idiot

Post by Hyperion »

another note, my friend's duron 800 runs at 114-121
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Man I hate computer problems. :x
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Hyperion
Village Idiot

Post by Hyperion »

LOL!, i do agree.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Mr Bean wrote:Update that BIOS Right the Fuck NOW, No wonder its fucking all to Hell, you've got a partialr corrupt in the secotion thats holding your Voltage Settings
I''m not familiar with the gory details of how ATX-style boxes do voltage regulation but in the old AT-style systems voltage regulation (for sources other than the CPU core voltage) was done in the powersupply without any help from the MB or BIOS. If he's seeing 16v on the 12v line then either the voltage sensor is broken (which would tend to fit in with the reported fan and temperature speeds) or the powersupply is bad.

If the power supply is really feeding 16v to the 12v line I'd be if the PC would even boot to the BIOS setup pages. That much voltage is not healthy to modern hardware. On the other hand, if the voltage sensor is defective that's a pretty good indication of a deeper QC problem on the MB.

Hyperion: I suggest you update the BIOS first. If that doesn't help, replace the power supply. If that doesn't help, return the power supply and get another motherboard.

Don't put another MB into that thing without some indication that the power supply isn't trying to cook the rest of the system.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Hyperion
Village Idiot

Post by Hyperion »

power supply was verifyed as 100% operational and within tolerances..

as a note, the FETs in a modern switching supply, even a dirt cheap one will ALWAYS fail open/off so the voltage will drop rather than increase.

the mobo has some kind of i/o controller/chipset failure, i'm not fucking with it, i'm just gonna return it.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

another note, my friend's duron 800 runs at 114-121
Durons and Thunderbirds are a diffrent story, They get so fucking Hot AMD built them to be able to run at 140F and still work(No joke, I've seen a TBIRD Stable at 170F)

Trust me the fault is in the MB its asking for WAY to much then it should
And to answear your question Englighten
I''m not familiar with the gory details of how ATX-style boxes do voltage regulation but in the old AT-style systems voltage regulation (for sources other than the CPU core voltage) was done in the powersupply without any help from the MB or BIOS. If he's seeing 16v on the 12v line then either the voltage sensor is broken (which would tend to fit in with the reported fan and temperature speeds) or the powersupply is bad.
ATX is more flextable and even some AT systems can request extra voltage for one reason or another(Pretty much overclocking and fault-toleranceing being the main two)

The Temp sensors are working fine in a SENSE, However the Voltage sensors after a bit of checking also seem to be working fine, the problem lies that they are becoming erratic much like most eletronic will when exposed to high amounts of power, Notice according to him it STARTS accurate then fucks up, whats happening is the sensors are becoming screwy

An anology, think you could read a book or build a house of cards if I was randomly hitting you with 20 to 200 Volt Shocks?

Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

Well, my dad's running a Duron 1GHz on an ECS K7TA3 and it runs fine. Looks like you've fallen victim to a bad flash. Just do yourself a favor and re-flash it with the version they have on the website. Doesn't matter how old it is as long as it'll get you up and running.
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter