Best 3-D Modeling Software

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Ted wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:Think you could try a little less blatant way of inflating your post count?

+1
And you aren't?

+1
If I replied to every one of his three, then it would be inflating

+2
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

LordChaos wrote:
salm wrote:
LordChaos wrote: Hey! I USE Truespace (3.1 and 4.2). (because I started with it, and so I can't figure out lightwave or maya...)

of course you can. i managed to go from blender to max. it´s the same thing just different buttons and submenus and 70 billion more buttons 80 trillion more submenues.
It's not that the buttons are different, or in different places... it's that I can't find out how to do ANYTHING I can already do in Truespace. It took the better part of half an hour and constant dirrections from someone else to teach me how to do simple Bollean operations.. and they still don't come out the way they should (would in Truespace). let allone distortions, sweeps, etc. (possibley because I don't use the mouse for manipulating objects, I work with the raw numbers and properties...)
then you need to look for a different hobby!
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

LordChaos wrote: It's not that the buttons are different, or in different places... it's that I can't find out how to do ANYTHING I can already do in Truespace. It took the better part of half an hour and constant dirrections from someone else to teach me how to do simple Bollean operations.. and they still don't come out the way they should (would in Truespace). let allone distortions, sweeps, etc. (possibley because I don't use the mouse for manipulating objects, I work with the raw numbers and properties...)
It's a usability-functionality tradeoff. tS can get away with a simplistic (and therefore easy to learn) UI because it's feature poor. The feature set in pro-class packages such as LW, Maya and 3DSMax is far larger and as such the learning curve is far steeper. Learning the basics of LW can take a few weeks even with all the tutorials floating around on the net. From what I've seen of Maya it's probably a lot worse. The upshot, however, is that once you've learned how to use real tools, you can do a lot more than you ever could in something like tS.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Enlightenment wrote:
LordChaos wrote: It's not that the buttons are different, or in different places... it's that I can't find out how to do ANYTHING I can already do in Truespace. It took the better part of half an hour and constant dirrections from someone else to teach me how to do simple Bollean operations.. and they still don't come out the way they should (would in Truespace). let allone distortions, sweeps, etc. (possibley because I don't use the mouse for manipulating objects, I work with the raw numbers and properties...)
It's a usability-functionality tradeoff. tS can get away with a simplistic (and therefore easy to learn) UI because it's feature poor. The feature set in pro-class packages such as LW, Maya and 3DSMax is far larger and as such the learning curve is far steeper. Learning the basics of LW can take a few weeks even with all the tutorials floating around on the net. From what I've seen of Maya it's probably a lot worse. The upshot, however, is that once you've learned how to use real tools, you can do a lot more than you ever could in something like tS.
i´ve nerver uset truespace but blender has quite poor features as well compared to max or maya. and i didnt find it that hard to figure out max after using blender. i´m far from bein perfect in max but it´s getting better every day i use it. on the other hand i seem to be pretty good in figuring out grafic related programms.
the thing is you shouldnt be "afraid" of anything. just sit there read the manual, read tutorials and if you find a new button ( you find new buttons even after months of using it) just try out what it does.