Best 3-D Modeling Software

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Best 3-D Modeling Software

Post by HemlockGrey »

I'm going to teach myself basic 3-D modeling(it's going to be a bloody uphill battle) and I was wondering what the best program out there is. I have some very limited experience with InfiniD, but that's it.

Try to keep it 100-500 dollars, if that's possible.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

Oh, IDEAS, of course!
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

Oh, IDEAS, of course!
What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a little girl could destroy my wickedness?
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

"You cannot make another post so soon after your last post, please try again later"... "OK!" *click*
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Think you could try a little less blatant way of inflating your post count?

+1
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

Yeah, I could
TRY...
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Info, plz!
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best 3-D Modeling Software

Post by Enlightenment »

Cyril wrote:Try to keep it 100-500 dollars, if that's possible.
3D software in that price range is a real waste of money. All you get in the $100-$500 dollar range is a unstable, feature-poor software that has a bare minimum of features but none of the serious tools needed to actually do anything. Start with the free/cheap stuff and save up your money for the pro tools like Lightwave, Maya, or 3DSMax.

As for what free stuff to start with, take a look at Blender, OpenFX, and a combination of Povray and an external modeler such as Wings or Hamapatch.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
oberon
Padawan Learner

Post by oberon »

OK, then, in all soberosity, I don't know, but maybe a retelling of my limited experience will help, at least a little? First off, I don't know what you mean by "3D modeling". Do you mean making special effects/CGI? Then I don't know at all. Or do you mean design? Or do you mean fluid dynamics? Then my (very) limited knowledge I can share.

IDEAS is in use by auto manufacturers, and it's easy to use, but it doesn't have an "undo last" button. That doesn't prevent it from being used to design cars and a whole bunch of other shit. I've used it and it seems nice and fairly intuitive, you have plenty of options, and the learning curve is shallow. So my only beef is the no undo thing.

I used a program in school called "CFD" which is a dumb name bec it was the same name as the thing it was modeling, and it's not the only one. I didn't like it. If you made a finite element picture in some other program (mine was Mathematica), then it would seem to read the image you made, until you actually tried to run a calc on it. Then it became apparent that what looked like nodes to you, did NOT look like nodes to the CFD program. I wasted an entire summer project trying different formats (STL, Python, others that I can't renk) to translate my images into something on which CFD could perform FEM. If you make the image in[/i[ CFD to begin with, it's very nice. It did have an undo feature, but instead of following the order in which you MADE stuff, it would DELETE stuff in some kind of random order.

So I could name 2 things that were state-of-the-art as late as 2002, and the things that are being worked on are the coding and usability issues I just mentioned--and add that I would have to try some of the other large licenses, such as CATIA, which is in use by Chrysler (for one).

Now, you did have the price stipulation. So I can't help you. I'm not helping huh? But hey, it's one more post :evil: The licenses I mentioned are in the tens-of-K dollars. Mathematica student version should be abt $150, and if you want to write the code, it will do anything.
Azeron
Village Idiot

Post by Azeron »

go download 3d studio max. its pretty good, and lightwave aint bad either. though its warezzzzz..
The Biblical God is more evil than any Nazi who ever lived, and Satan is arguably the hero of the Bible. -- Darth Wong, Self Proffessed Biblical Scholar
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Here's what you do...
Join your high school's robotics team.
Convince them to do the animation competition.
Win said competition.
Get free copy of 3DS Max and new laptop. :P

Aside from that, download POV-ray.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

oberon wrote:Do you mean making special effects/CGI? Then I don't know at all. Or do you mean design? Or do you mean fluid dynamics? Then my (very) limited knowledge I can share.
He's talking about 3D graphics. Building 3D virtual models (meshes) is generally called modeling.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Shaka[Zulu]
Jedi Knight

Post by Shaka[Zulu] »

Beowulf wrote:Here's what you do...
Join your high school's robotics team.
Convince them to do the animation competition.
Win said competition.
Get free copy of 3DS Max and new laptop. :P

Aside from that, download POV-ray.
not many high schools even THINK about doing projects like that (just mention it to them and an overwhelming majority will laugh and snicker behind your back)... even the most prestigious private schools in the country would rather waste their money sending social studies classes on field trips to the UN or Washington DC than letting their science classes do REAL work. there just isnt much prestige to go with having a truly world-class high-school science/engineering department... stuff that leads to law & politics however... need I say more?
panty-stealing military mecha maniac
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Thing is, this is actually how one of my friends got a brand new laptop...
Then he went and bought Lightwave. Most of the high schools in the area i went to school were pretty tech friendly. Then again, this is Silicon Valley we're talking about... However, there are something like 600 teams around the nation for FIRST, so, um, yeah...

Oh, if your in high school, see if you can get one of your science teachers to help you make a team... It'll only cost around $15,000 for the whole thing
(Yes, my team did regularly spend more a year than all the rest of the clubs combined...)

http://usfirst.org
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Shaka[Zulu]
Jedi Knight

Post by Shaka[Zulu] »

yeah... nice, but the FIRST competition is not what I mean when I suggest doing a competition, for the simple reason that the organization so heavily restricts what you can do, and the exact nature of the event itself. I prefer the AUVSI competitions... see here:

http://www.auvsi.org/competitions/

note that these competitions are not limited to just university students... high schools can compete as well, but you have to be much farther along than for FIRST, because they dont do half the work for you by telling you what to build and how you can build it.
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Re: Best 3-D Modeling Software

Post by EmperorMing »

Enlightenment wrote:
Cyril wrote:Try to keep it 100-500 dollars, if that's possible.
3D software in that price range is a real waste of money. All you get in the $100-$500 dollar range is a unstable, feature-poor software that has a bare minimum of features but none of the serious tools needed to actually do anything. Start with the free/cheap stuff and save up your money for the pro tools like Lightwave, Maya, or 3DSMax.

As for what free stuff to start with, take a look at Blender, OpenFX, and a combination of Povray and an external modeler such as Wings or Hamapatch.
Thanx for the info. Been thinking of the same thing... :D

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

i started with blender (we made a crapy little spacebattle animation for a project in my university), did a FormZ Radiozity CAD course at my university and am now messing with charakter modeling with 3ds max.

blender was quite a good start because it was free and is quite good imo. the user interface might be a bit weird but you´ll get used to that in no time. formZ is good for architectural modeling but lacks a good feature of getting measurements on your plot.

i dont have to say that max kicks ass but is fucking expensive.
Shaka[Zulu]
Jedi Knight

Post by Shaka[Zulu] »

in any case, to get back on topic, the best modeling SW depends on what you are doing...

for engineering, IDEAS
for general industrial design: AutoCAD -- widely available, and can be understood by just about everything else
for media: MAX, Lightwave, MAYA, Rhino -- all of which can export to others programs like IDEAS as well iirc.
Ted
BANNED

Post by Ted »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Think you could try a little less blatant way of inflating your post count?

+1
And you aren't?

+1
Go, tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
bigchicken
Redshirt

Post by bigchicken »

Personally, I'd get MAYA. There are copies floating around out there...and a "personal learning edition" that you can download from alias|Wavefront. It watermarks your images, but it's great for learning the mechanics of modeling.

So, if your against warez, go with the personal learning edition. I used it till I could find a copy of MAYA 4
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

Both Maya and Lightwave offer a free version intended for learning.

I *think* the older versions of Truespace are also free (but don't quote me on that).
There is no problem to dificult for a signifigantly large enough quantity of C-4 to handle.
If you're leaving scorch marks, you aren't using a big enough gun.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

LordChaos wrote:Both Maya and Lightwave offer a free version intended for learning.

I *think* the older versions of Truespace are also free (but don't quote me on that).
The demo/learning version of lightwave can't save meshes with over 400 points and is therefore utterly useless for learning to model.

Caligari sells the older versions of trueSpace at a slightly reduced price. IMO tS is still a ripoff even at $200usd for version four. Put the money towards a real 3D package rather than an overgrown toy.
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

Enlightenment wrote:
LordChaos wrote:Both Maya and Lightwave offer a free version intended for learning.

The demo/learning version of lightwave can't save meshes with over 400 points and is therefore utterly useless for learning to model.

Caligari sells the older versions of trueSpace at a slightly reduced price. IMO tS is still a ripoff even at $200usd for version four. Put the money towards a real 3D package rather than an overgrown toy.
Hey! I USE Truespace (3.1 and 4.2). (because I started with it, and so I can't figure out lightwave or maya...)
There is no problem to dificult for a signifigantly large enough quantity of C-4 to handle.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

LordChaos wrote:
Enlightenment wrote:

Hey! I USE Truespace (3.1 and 4.2). (because I started with it, and so I can't figure out lightwave or maya...)

of course you can. i managed to go from blender to max. it´s the same thing just different buttons and submenus and 70 billion more buttons 80 trillion more submenues.
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

salm wrote:
LordChaos wrote:
Enlightenment wrote: The demo/learning version of lightwave can't save meshes with over 400 points and is therefore utterly useless for learning to model.

of course you can. i managed to go from blender to max. it´s the same thing just different buttons and submenus and 70 billion more buttons 80 trillion more submenues.
It's not that the buttons are different, or in different places... it's that I can't find out how to do ANYTHING I can already do in Truespace. It took the better part of half an hour and constant dirrections from someone else to teach me how to do simple Bollean operations.. and they still don't come out the way they should (would in Truespace). let allone distortions, sweeps, etc. (possibley because I don't use the mouse for manipulating objects, I work with the raw numbers and properties...)