Manji-ish concept, but I'm not saying it has to work

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Manji-ish concept, but I'm not saying it has to work

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

One of the ideas in my demented mind is a sniper rifle.

It uses mass-drivers to propel the bullet, about the same weight as a regular rifle bullet, at mach 30. It also has a high-powered IR scope, with night-vision, heat scanning, and a laser pointer.

Since getting a bullet to such a spped would require energy, the rifle would require a power source, which would be replaced after every shot, or recharged. Since the battery would be quite heavy, you couldn't carry many. I would also expect a loud sonic boom, and many problems with the design. DOes anyone hee know what such a gun would be like, besides "dumb"?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

IMO it would make one hell of a sniper rifle. It would also likely be powerful enough to take down a tank with a well placed shot.

Thats better then Manji's 120mm sniper rifle (3 month ROF, one shot, 3 months to heal your shoulder before you can fire again.)
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Alyeska wrote:IMO it would make one hell of a sniper rifle. It would also likely be powerful enough to take down a tank with a well placed shot.
Not really. You could get soft kills with repeated shots and damage internal equipment, but it could not 'destroy' the tank.
Thats better then Manji's 120mm sniper rifle (3 month ROF, one shot, 3 months to heal your shoulder before you can fire again.)
Well, propelling a rifle bullet at 30 times the speed of sound would still produce a MASSIVE amount of recoil, probably enough to make it functionally useless.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Azeron
Village Idiot

Post by Azeron »

why not use antimatter bullets while you are at it?
The Biblical God is more evil than any Nazi who ever lived, and Satan is arguably the hero of the Bible. -- Darth Wong, Self Proffessed Biblical Scholar
RadiO
Jedi Knight

Post by RadiO »

What if it was on top of a light vehicle in a stabilised mount? You could carry several batteries and a fair supply of ammo, and recoil wouldn't necessarily be as much of a problem as it would against your shoulder. Liquidate the enemy, one hypersonic headshot at a time. :twisted:
"Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr I'm-My-Own-Grandpa! Let's get the hell out of here already! Screw history!" - Professor Farnsworth
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Recoil would be impossibly high for an infantry men, the user would be thrown backwards at 30+ MPH, and the bullet would shatter on impact with any form of armor.

I fail to see any actual use for such a weapon anyway. Normal weapons and missiles will work infinitely better for most any task.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Recoil would be impossibly high for an infantry men, the user would be thrown backwards at 30+ MPH, and the bullet would shatter on impact with any form of armor.

I fail to see any actual use for such a weapon anyway. Normal weapons and missiles will work infinitely better for most any task.
I knew you would say that. Would it be possible to have some sort of anti-recoil thingy, and a stronger, denser bullet?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:Recoil would be impossibly high for an infantry men, the user would be thrown backwards at 30+ MPH, and the bullet would shatter on impact with any form of armor.

I knew you would say that. Would it be possible to have some sort of anti-recoil thingy, and a stronger, denser bullet?
On an infantry weapon no. A recoil absorption system simply spreads out the time of the recoil, and nothing in existence would sufficiently spread it out to allow a person to use it. Even doubling the time would result in something far to bulky and heavy for a man to carry

If you mount it on a Hummer with a very strong mounting you might be okay. A denser bullet greatly increases the recoil, and only helps to a point, at mach 30 I don’t think anything in existence would work. They're all going to end up melting and basically going splat against armor. Anyway, you really dont want your basic kentic rifle ammunition to cost 10$ a round.

However, if your mounted it on a vehicle you might as well use a missile, and if you want to kill infantry, then a ultra high speed is a bad idea. The round will punch clear through and do minimal damage to the person; they might not even be knocked over unless you hit a substantial bone.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

:(
Last edited by Bob McDob on 2002-10-03 12:30am, edited 1 time in total.
That's the wrong way to tickle Mary, that's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that, over here lad, they like it best like this!
Hooray, pour les français! Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know how to tickle Mary, but we learnt how, over there!
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:

Mount retro-rockets and make the bullet out of pure lead!

:Rimshot:
That's the wrong way to tickle Mary, that's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that, over here lad, they like it best like this!
Hooray, pour les français! Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know how to tickle Mary, but we learnt how, over there!