No votes
Who cares?
25%

Total votes: 4

Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Debate Forum?

Post by Nova Andromeda »

--I was thinking that it is a shame good debates tend to get buried in the mass of posts and replies made in the various forums.
--To solve this problem I suggest a debate forum be created where only the debaters are given write permission and are restricted to posting in the topic they are debating.
Nova Andromeda
Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Nova's position...

Post by Nova Andromeda »

I, of course, support the idea.
Nova Andromeda
Resident Commie
Youngling

Post by Resident Commie »

Good idea!

I agree completely. I actually posted the same suggestion in the Science and Logic fourm.

Here's the format I think would work best.

Each debate would have two threads.
One would be the actual debate between two members.
The other would be a spectator and comments thread, for everyone else.

The rules would go around Mike's outline for debate, with nessary changes to make it work on a message board.

Sounds good, no?
You like debates, debates are good to you, no. :lol:
If those in charge of our society-politicians, corporate executives and owners of press and television-can dominate our ideas, they will be secure in their power. They will not need soldiers patrolling the streets. We will control ourselves
-Howard Zinn
Resident Commie
Youngling

Post by Resident Commie »

What we really need, however, is Mike's support. :wink:
If those in charge of our society-politicians, corporate executives and owners of press and television-can dominate our ideas, they will be secure in their power. They will not need soldiers patrolling the streets. We will control ourselves
-Howard Zinn
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I kinda like it but then we are demanding more of Mr Wong who as he's said before Has a Life and a website already and thus would place even more strain on him.
He should if he does implent this pick somone else to head to up and watch after it, Pick whats being Debated Ext

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debate Forum?

Post by IDMR »

Nova Andromeda wrote:--I was thinking that it is a shame good debates tend to get buried in the mass of posts and replies made in the various forums.
--To solve this problem I suggest a debate forum be created where only the debaters are given write permission and are restricted to posting in the topic they are debating.
It is a good idea, but I am afriad it would place too much of a strain on the Site Administrator, i.e. Mr. Wong.

Perhaps some other time.
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

I think that would be pointless. What are these forums for, if not to debate things? I is the mods and admins job to keep the conversation on track.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

It sounds like a good idea. sci-fi debates could be on the forum as well. IMO, the off-topic forum is for stuff that isn't related to politics, religion, or debating.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

David wrote:I think that would be pointless. What are these forums for, if not to debate things? I is the mods and admins job to keep the conversation on track.
You can talk, O mighty Monkey Lord, Padder of Posts and Distractor of Threads!

::bows::
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Let me say it before David Can

AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT! :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

*gestures toward the Pit of Howling Madnes*

The monkeys are getting hungry IDMR, don't become the next appetizer.........