2001 Space Oddessy

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

2001 Space Oddessy

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

At the end of the movie, what was that baby-type thing in space supposed to be? God? An alien of some type? Or just simply weird 60's crap?
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

The Baby god Dave Bowman now that he has become a transcendant life form.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

That was the guy who destroyed HAL 9000 and experienced all of that weird 60's color shit like he was high off of drugs, right?

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Yes.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
The Yosemite Bear

Dave Bowman was the Astronaut the killed HAL 9000

The Monoliths transform him into a trancendant being (The whole druggie, mind trip sequence), he is now a good like being, thus the baby at the end is actualy Bowman who is now an infant god.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

THe Yosemite Bear wrote:Dave Bowman was the Astronaut the killed HAL 9000

The Monoliths transform him into a trancendant being (The whole druggie, mind trip sequence), he is now a good like being, thus the baby at the end is actualy Bowman who is now an infant god.
Not a god, he's immortal and powerful but not a god. What they did was somehow implant his conciousness into the very fabric of space. Something about creating a being out of energy, it was never explained more than . That was a crude manifestation as he got used to his newfound power. HAL 9000 and Heywood Floyd both got the same treatment in 2010 and 2060(?) respectively.

What the monolith builders evolved into was/were gods.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Why didn't the Monolith make the ape-men gods then? It only made them evolve into humans by making them more intelligent (which explains the ape's use of weapons, which is supposed to be humanity growing more intelligent while at the same time more barbaric).

The Yosemite Bear

The first change was sentience. From there like with the garden of Eden the first thing we humans do with this new found knowledge. Yup we kill others.

lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

2061 is the one that a meteor made of diamonds destroy the mini-solar system created in 2010. Floyd returns in 3001. The Monolith is a kind of super-computer that watched over this system and "Helped" the evolution (not only the byological evolution) of the system, to send information to their creators if the result was worth or not. Bowan became a agent of the monolith and they did not made it again.
In the end, Clarke sage is about Creationism (A uber-force external that influncie the human devolopment and even the universe formation) and Apokalypse (the last book humans got all worried because the monolith would judge them).
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:Why didn't the Monolith make the ape-men gods then? It only made them evolve into humans by making them more intelligent (which explains the ape's use of weapons, which is supposed to be humanity growing more intelligent while at the same time more barbaric).
Because they don't believe in doing things that way. They'll give you a kick in the pants to get you moving but where you go after that is up to you.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

lgot wrote:2061 is the one that a meteor made of diamonds destroy the mini-solar system created in 2010.
No. It's the one where the diamond core of what was Jupiter is found on Europa, now interdicted by the monolith. The Galaxy goes down and the Universe has to charge to the rescue.
lgot wrote: Floyd returns in 3001.
That was Frank Pool(e?). Floyd was dead and gone 940 years by the time of 3001.
lgot wrote:The Monolith is a kind of super-computer that watched over this system and "Helped" the evolution (not only the byological evolution) of the system, to send information to their creators if the result was worth or not.
Yeah. All though grossly oversimplified.
lgot wrote: Bowan became a agent of the monolith and they did not made it again.
you mean Bowman. And the rest of that's jibberish.
lgot wrote:In the end, Clarke sage is about Creationism (A uber-force external that influncie the human devolopment and even the universe formation) and Apokalypse (the last book humans got all worried because the monolith would judge them).
Wow. That's got to be the best summary of the themes of The Oddyessy Quartet I've read. I never really though of it along those lines to be honest. Should have, it's rather obvious now that it's been pointed out.
Last edited by Stormbringer on 2002-09-27 12:35am, edited 1 time in total.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

well, you is probally correct and I am wrong about the names...must be some curse I have with 2001 because I always forget the name of the actors of the 2001 movie. The most famous without fame actors ever they seen to be...
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Igot, that's an excellent summary indeed!

The movie version of 2001 leaves a lot of things unexplained and without reading the novel, it is really hard to figure out the ending. I remember from somewhere that the novel and the movie script were written simultaneously together.

2010 novel is in my opinion definetely best of the four (I haven't read 3001)...
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

well thanks,

It is true. Kubrick read a short tale of Clarke about aline contact called the Sentinel. He asked Clarke to wrote a longer story about this and when they worked together they started to come with all the 2001 story. Then they wrote the screnplay and Clarke wrote the 2001 book.
Then the success of 2001 and constant questions about what was that about made him go on with some of the ideas he and kubrick didnt used to wrote 2010, which is without doubt better written than 2001 because of the freedom Clarke had there.