Zimbawawe headed down in a tailspin.....

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Zimbawawe headed down in a tailspin.....

Post by MKSheppard »

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/afr ... ory=314572

President Robert Mugabe's government has threatened to seize
British assets, including charity donations, in retaliation against
a decision to freeze the ruling party Zanu- PF's assets in Britain.

The Foreign Office minister Denis MacShane told Parliament this
week that Britain had frozen £76,000 in assets belonging to Mr Mugabe's
party under sanctions imposed by the European Union against the
ageing Zimbabwe leader and his senior aides.

Man made famine is going to strike Zimbawawe soon, and starving
african children are gonna be all over the newscasts, as "human rights"
organizations plead for us to give them food, conviently forgetting
the facts that Mugabe took Zimbawawe from one of Africa's few EXPORTERS
of food to an IMPORTER over his dictatorial reign.

Any idiot could see that this was gonna happen when Mugabe began
to drive the white farmers off their land over two years ago, replacing
the only people in the country who know how to farm with morons who
couldn't grow a dandelion if their life depended on it.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

I'd agree with your assessment of Mugabe
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Zimbawawe headed down in a tailspin.....

Post by Enlightenment »

MKSheppard wrote: Any idiot could see that this was gonna happen when Mugabe began
to drive the white farmers off their land over two years ago, replacing
the only people in the country who know how to farm with morons who
couldn't grow a dandelion if their life depended on it.
The problem is not as much the lack of domestic food production but rather the collapse of the economy. Even if the <cough> 'war veterans' could grow a dandelion when their life depends on it, they are unliklely to be able to grow anything on a commercial scale large enough to keep the economy running.

And the bigger issue isn't Zimbabwe itself but rather that much of the rest of Africa's political leadership seem to regard Mugabe's reign as a stellar demonstration of democracy in action. That gaffe alone will keep anyone with half a brain from investing anything in Africa for decades.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

What really pisses me off is that the African people have lived off the land there, perfectly fine, for millions of years until Europeans and Arabs invaded and fucked everything up.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Darik Sdair
Youngling

Post by Darik Sdair »

What really pisses me off is that the African people have lived off the land there, perfectly fine, for millions of years until Europeans and Arabs invaded and fucked everything up.
Hmmm, I'll confess I'm no expert on colonial history and whatnot, but aren't the vast majority of ex-British colonies quite successful states now? Zimbabwe, last I checked, was kind of the exception to the rule.

As for the colonies of other European powers and the states that fell under control of radical Islamism... well, I can't argue there. Boy, the French fucked up their holdings.
Banzai!
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Dalton wrote:What really pisses me off is that the African people have lived off the land there, perfectly fine, for millions of years until Europeans and Arabs invaded and fucked everything up.
*cough*

We Americans came and opened them up to the world, and
instead of being the fuckees, the Japs were the ones doing
the fucking.

The Africans could have resisted colonialism if they had been
more intelligent, rather than trying to charge Maxims with
spears.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

MKSheppard wrote:
Dalton wrote:What really pisses me off is that the African people have lived off the land there, perfectly fine, for millions of years until Europeans and Arabs invaded and fucked everything up.
*cough*

We Americans came and opened them up to the world,
Some world.
MKSheppard wrote:and instead of being the fuckees, the Japs were the ones doing the fucking.
What are you talking about?
MKSheppard wrote:The Africans could have resisted colonialism if they had been more intelligent, rather than trying to charge Maxims with
spears.
They god damn sure resisited colonialism, but they didn't have many other options since they weren't as technologically advanced.

The primary reason Africa is in the state it's in is because of overpopulation, a direct result of people like the Make a Wish foundation who insist on dragging third-world nations kicking and screaming into first-world status in ten percent of the time.
To Absent Friends

Sokar
Jedi Master

Africa

Post by Sokar »

Weep for the African continent folks , in 50 years its just going to be one huge graveyard. With the rate of infection, AIDS in Sub-Shaharan Africa is going to kill almost 70% of the Adult popoulation between the ages of 25 and 50 , almost all that will be left are young children and geriatrics by the middle of this century. At the most recent UN Aids conference they actually let slip some the information about just how bad things are getting in Africa, now if they follow the same protocols as the US CDC , take all their figures for infection and deaths and multiply them by 3 and you will have close to the real number of cases. If you travel to the epicenter of Aids , on the north shore of Lake Victoria , it once was the bustling center of British Colonial Rule in the Rift valley area , now it is a ghost region , devoid of a normal population distribution.

Also , one of Africas largest continuing problems is the arbitrary nature of the Colonial boundaries that now make up the African geo-political system. These nation often cotain diverse tribal elements who are still loyal to tribe first , nation a distant second. Nnigeria for example is pointed to as a model of good government in Africa , but Nigeria contains 4 distinct ethnic groups, none of whom have ever really gotten along, and the country is but one skewed election away from chaos and bloodshed similar to that seen in Rawanda. This repeats itself all across Africa and adds to the bloodshed. Throw in a few crackpots like in Congo or Mugabe in Zimbabwe and a civil war in Angola that just wont end because neither side can remember what it was to be at peace and Africa is a mess not even the Messiah could straighten out. I fear that here in the West we will watch with a mixture of horror and sick fascination as Africa steadily implodes , and then while people suffer , we'll have a benefit concert(Bono I'm sure will make some impasioned pleas and other gobbledy-gook) and then offer them a Band-Aid for the sucking chest wound that is Africa :(
BotM
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Darik Sdair wrote:
Hmmm, I'll confess I'm no expert on colonial history and whatnot, but aren't the vast majority of ex-British colonies quite successful states now? Zimbabwe, last I checked, was kind of the exception to the rule.
I'm not an expert either, to tell the truth :P
Darik Sdair wrote:As for the colonies of other European powers and the states that fell under control of radical Islamism... well, I can't argue there. Boy, the French fucked up their holdings.

Oh yeah, I think I have to agree there :P
To Absent Friends

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Not as bad as some of the Phillipean islands

Last year a study found 1/3 of people siging up for the Nations Miltary tested HIV postive, Not a good thing when your going to have a bunch(by all accounts, 5-40million) people dead within twenty years, Tialand is the worst hit, Estimated 40% popluation loss within the next 30 years from HIV postive people

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton