39%
Both Evenly
54%

Total votes: 28

Nathan F
Resident Redneck

USAF, What should the focus on?

Post by Nathan F »

Ok, heres an interesting little debate. Should the Air Force concentrate its technology on stealth fighters and bombers, or go more towards high speed aircraft able to carry alot of munitions? Personally, i feel we rely too much on the F-117 and B-2, i mean, they both are late '70s technology and it is just a matter of time before a radar is developed that can successfully, reliably, and consistently pick up current stealth technology.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Valkyries. :mrgreen:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Those were quite possibly the COOLEST airplanes ever!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Steath all the way

I want to see the B-5 and F-24 as Stealthy as we can make them, rolling off the assembly line in 2015

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

NF_Utvol wrote:Those were quite possibly the COOLEST airplanes ever!
You do know that I'm talking about the Valkyries from Macross. right?

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Bah! Brood War Valkyries forever! :P
「かかっ―」
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

XaLEv wrote:
*gasp*! You heretic!! Battroid mode, GERWALK mode forever, \/\/00t, \/\/00t !!

Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Another reason im for the heavy hitters is the fact that the odds of us fighting against high tech nations such as Russia (the place that the B-2 and F-117 were designed to attack) is so small it is almost 0. We will be in fights with less developed nations such as Afghanistan and other rogue states. The most developed countries with which we will be fighting right now that have any sort of radar defenses are Iraq and North Korea, and we can take out what little bit they have with radar seeking missiles and cruise missiles, without having to put american pilots lives on the line as much. Another thing that is a good idea is UAVs. They keep our boys (and girls for that matter) from having to put their lives in the way of danger. Hehe, heres a little tidbit. On vacation in Las Vegas, me and my dad were taking a drive to Death Valley. The road we took went around the southern edge of Nellis AFB (which contains the Groom Lake test site, aka Area 51). There were sensors set up around the perimeter of the base that could be seen on hill tops around it. And there were Predator UAVs being test flown right next to the highway, two of them passed us not 50 yards off the road and about 50 feet off the ground. That was COOL!!!
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

XaLEv wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote: You do know that I'm talking about the Valkyries from Macross. right?
*gasp*! You heretic!! Battroid mode, GERWALK mode forever, \/\/00t, \/\/00t !!
Oh, i thought you were talking about the big white delta winged bombers the air force tested inthe late 60s
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Yeah, those were pretty cool, too.

GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: USAF, What should the focus on?

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

NF_Utvol wrote:Ok, heres an interesting little debate. Should the Air Force concentrate its technology on stealth fighters and bombers, or go more towards high speed aircraft able to carry alot of munitions? Personally, i feel we rely too much on the F-117 and B-2, i mean, they both are late '70s technology and it is just a matter of time before a radar is developed that can successfully, reliably, and consistently pick up current stealth technology.
Yes, focus on hard-hitting conventional aircraft. Current stealth technology is becoming more and more outdated (and mostly worthless against flak and many shoulder-fired AA missiles), whereas there's almost no target that can't be cracked with enough 500 pound bombs.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Hehe, I'd say both Valkyries are cool :) Plus there's a bit of a connection between the two. Shoji Kawamori decided to be an aeronautical engineer because he admired the XB-70 so he named his fictional aircraft, the VF-1.
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/sdfmacross/vf-1s.htm

Well I'd say the USAF should focus more on robust mass-produced fighters with a heavy punch.
Last edited by VF5SS on 2002-09-23 03:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Keep up with the standard fighter, fighter bomber type aircraft for conventional use. However keep and maintain a stealth program of one size or another for special use. Its better to have a stealth and not need it, then to need a stealth and not have one. :)
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

We need a mix of capabilities. Stealth makes planes harder to see, not invisible.

One thing nobody mentioned is the role that UCAV's might play in the future. We are just beginning to see them now with things like Predator.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

VF5SS wrote:Hehe, I'd say both Valkyries are cool :) Plus there's a bit of a connection between the two. Shoji Kawamori decided to be an aeronautical engineer because he admired the XB-70 so he named his fictional aircraft, the VF-1.
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/sdfmacross/vf-1s.htm

Well I'd say the USAF should focus more on robust mass-produced fighters with a heavy punch.
Hehe, I'm currently majoring in Aerospace Engineering. Maybe I can help design fighters with more punch when i graduate and go to work with Lockheed. Hehe, ill design a plane that can make the F-22 look like a stealthified Cessna with peashooters under the wings... LOL
One thing nobody mentioned is the role that UCAV's might play in the future. We are just beginning to see them now with things like Predator.
You didnt read my post a couple posts up did you. I talked a bunch about them. Oh, and they are using Predators with Hellfire missiles in Afghanistan if im not terribly mistaken.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stealth is the future, especially since the United States is not the only country working on tactical air Defense lasers.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

You didnt read my post a couple posts up did you. I talked a bunch about them. Oh, and they are using Predators with Hellfire missiles in Afghanistan if im not terribly mistaken
Oops, I missed that part. Read the part about conflicts with high tech opponents then turned to answer the phone. :?

This is an interesting tidbit on cell phone networks and stealth.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/ ... ealths.htm
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Stealth is the future, especially since the United States is not the only country working on tactical air Defense lasers.
It might be the future, and I think we ought to have a well maintained stealth force. But the odds of us going to war with other countries that are developing technologies such as this is INCREDIBLY small. The only countries that we should be worried about with technoliges such as that are China and North Korea. Iraq has the chem. weapons, but a few 2000 lb GBUs can take care of that.:D I like the idea of the air defense lasers. I think we should remain wary of the threat of nuclear missiles from rogue nations such as North Korea and even Cuba to a small extent. Also, we might have another country to worry about in the future. Russia. All it would take is a hard liner president to get elected and a few strings for him/her to pull, and they could be back to a communist state. And with the economic problems russia has, It might be possible. With our current stealth technology, i would much rather be flying in a b-1 than I would a b-2 though.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:
You didnt read my post a couple posts up did you. I talked a bunch about them. Oh, and they are using Predators with Hellfire missiles in Afghanistan if im not terribly mistaken
Oops, I missed that part. Read the part about conflicts with high tech opponents then turned to answer the phone. :?

This is an interesting tidbit on cell phone networks and stealth.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/ ... ealths.htm
In the four or so years since this idea was first proposed, it has become quite clear that this tech will never be accurate enough to guide a weapon onto the aircraft. And Russia has already modified an ARM to home on cell phone emissions..

Basically it lets you know your going to die just before the B-2 drops a SDB or JSOW on your emitter and control can.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Your probably right, my main point is that Stealth is not invulnerable.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:Your probably right, my main point is that Stealth is not invulnerable.
Nothings invulnerable, most L band search radars can see an F-117 at 12 miles, and a B-2 at 5. However, it's not practical to have the radars that close together, so the bombers just fly around them through the gaps.

And of course DEAD assets may just blast a gap. That’s why the Small Diameter bomb is going to be such a great weapon, it will allow a single Stealth aircraft to destroy swarms of individual air defense vehicles while remaining at a fairly safe range. Then things like the F-35 can safely throw on there external pylons and really get into the fight.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

an F-117 was shot down in bosnia, whether a lucky shot or was seen by radar, we will never know
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

What is a DEAD asset ? Do you mean SEAD ?

Dont forget that Stealth needs to operate at night, another limitation.

But, over all I think that stealth aircraft are invaluable in the opening stage of any conflict to hit high value, high threat targets. Then you bring in the B-52's. :twisted:

I remember when testors released the F-19 model and there was such a hullabaloo about it. The real thing turned out to look very different. ( a little off topic )
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

an F-117 was shot down in bosnia, whether a lucky shot or was seen by radar, we will never know
IIRC, it was not a lucky shot, but a combonation of knowing ahead of time the flight paths of Nato strikes. In other words, they knew where to look and when.
Azeron
Village Idiot

Post by Azeron »

Here is a better idea. Get some of the smaller near to earth asteroid, adn threaten to send them smashing down on the offendign country/continent.
The Biblical God is more evil than any Nazi who ever lived, and Satan is arguably the hero of the Bible. -- Darth Wong, Self Proffessed Biblical Scholar