My Friday Night

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

My Friday Night

Post by Mr. B »

Well Friday night. The night of parties and lots of alcohol.

Lets just say I had a little run in with officer Fuck-tard.

I was on my way back to my dorm room and was almost there when I came face to face with a little man with a badge.

Out came the breathalyzers and the ticket book.

And now I am down $137 for underage compumption.

On the plus side, all my friends got one too. And we all have court on the same day. :D
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

On the plus side, all my friends got one too. And we all have court on the same day
Heh that classic line
I can die for my country, decided the fate of the free world, smoke myself to death and even buy a gun

But I can't take a swig

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Mr Bean wrote:

On the plus side, all my friends got one too. And we all have court on the same day
Heh that classic line
I can die for my country, decided the fate of the free world, smoke myself to death and even buy a gun

But I can't take a swig

The only reason I can see that the drinking age is 21 instead of 18 is because the government wanted an age where people were not likely to still be in high school. That way really underaged drinking was cut down because no one at a high school party should be able to buy alcohol.
When I was a sophomore in high school the drinking age changed in my state from 19 to 21. One of the guys on the track team was old enough that he was grandfathered in. The exact reverse happened to my dad. He was about to turn 21 when the drinking age was dropped to 18, the next year it moved to 19 which it stayed at until I was in high school.

One thing about your run-in got me wondering. You were walking, not driving? In that case what does the police officer do if you aren't carrying I.D.? Does he take the time to arrest you until someone can identify you? Does he take your word as to who you are? Or, does he let you go due to the extra hassle involved for something so stupid. As far as I know in the U.S. we are not required to carry I.D. at all times (Yet :) ).

Unless he has some quota to reach why would he give a crap about underaged drinking as long as you weren't doing something stupid. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

It's not that I think kids can't handle it, or that it's harmful, or anything. But I live near a high school which borders on a forested area on the edge of suburban Ottawa. And I have dropkicked my fair share of hung-over passed-out 14-year-olds off of my lawn and porch, and participated on community associations who walk the forest trailway and pick up empty beer cans, clean out fire pits, etc.

Now, maybe if they let kids drink in bars they wouldn't have to light fires and get drunk out in the forest. All I can tell you is, as a home owner, I'll support any change in legislation that lowers the chance that I have to stick a stake in your butt and use you to mop your puke off my porch. ;)
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Dirty Harry
Padawan Learner

Post by Dirty Harry »

It aint so bad in this country, you can drink when you 16( :D )

But you didn't get all the bad luck over the weekend, I got the Flu and spent all friday night puking into a bucket ( :cry: ).
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species.
I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. - Jack, Fight club
Azeron
Village Idiot

Post by Azeron »

sounds like another fund raiser for the police dept.
The Biblical God is more evil than any Nazi who ever lived, and Satan is arguably the hero of the Bible. -- Darth Wong, Self Proffessed Biblical Scholar
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

nice to live in germany where you can drink stuff like beer and whine at 16 and schnaps at 18.

my friday was quite cool too at least the evening. after studiying for my exams the whole day i had one bong hit after the other and ended up playing tekken ball with my room mate for 4 hours.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Re: My Friday Night

Post by Stormbringer »

Mr. B wrote:Well Friday night. The night of parties and lots of alcohol.

I was on my way back to my dorm room and was almost there when I came face to face with a little man with a badge.

On the plus side, all my friends got one too. And we all have court on the same day. :D
That sucks. Those are the kind of cops that give all other a bad name, they just have to be assholes even when you weren't doing anything wrong. At the parties I've been to the cops will let it slide as long as there aren't obvious minors (15 like) or driving.

Any way, you got off lucky. They could do a whole lot worse if they had wanted to.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

how much worse than $137 could it have been? a night in jail, well better a night in jail than $137.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

salm wrote:how much worse than $137 could it have been? a night in jail, well better a night in jail than $137.
I know people that have gotten much, much heavier fines than that. And a night jail would be worse. You do not want to spend a night in a drunk tank.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Mr. B wrote:Well Friday night. The night of parties and lots of alcohol.

Dont whine about getting a ticket. When you took a drink and you are underage, you took the risk of getting caught. You got caught. Life's not fair, don't B**** about it. You're not getting any sympathy from me because you broke the rules and are having to pay for it. :twisted:
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Youre not getting any sympathy from me because you broke the rules and are having to pay for it.
I have a strong urge to exerise the right I got when I was 18 and buy a Gun to take care of this... sitatuion :twisted:

When the rules make no sense why bother following them?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Decent argument, but, when a gun is used in the manner it was meant for (self defense, hunting, etc) you dont kill other people. With cigarettes you only hurt yourself. When you get drunk, you are a pain in the rear to everyone and if you happen to get behind the wheel, you put everyone in danger. So if you look at the big picture, the rules do have meanings. There is a method to their madness sometimes.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Don't take any offence, Mr. B, but I feel you deserved it. You broke a law, plain and simple. You get no sympathy from me.
Last edited by Spanky The Dolphin on 2002-09-23 02:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

how much worse than $137 could it have been? a night in jail, well better a night in jail than $137.
Much worse than a night in jail and $137 combined. Try getting your license pulled, a much heftier fine, a few nights in jail, and getting kicked out of your school.

Hehe, and Spanky, for once we actually agree on something.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Mr Bean wrote:When the rules make no sense why bother following them?
See my comment above about kicking 14-year-old drunks off my property on Sunday mornings in the summer. It's a person-specific thing, Bean. I mean, like I said, I don't care if kids drink, or smoke, or fuck. As long as 1) the results of all that doesn't end up on my porch in vomit format, 2) I don't have to pay for it and 3) I don't have to clean up after it. The rules as they are, are in place to try to limit less mature people. Still, there are lots of underagers like Mr.B. who are probably responsible drinkers; I believe that if he was just walking home without causing any problems for anyone, that he shouldn't have been singled out and penalized.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Azeron
Village Idiot

Post by Azeron »

Hmm I am on the side of Mr. Bean, but I am facist. this doesn't make sense, cause the people in opposition (who call me facist all the time) like seeing 18 years old being fined for drinking.

Mr. Bean, go into court and say this:

Beer is way to commune with God How dare they keep you from expressing your religous experience

they will let you go. ;-)
The Biblical God is more evil than any Nazi who ever lived, and Satan is arguably the hero of the Bible. -- Darth Wong, Self Proffessed Biblical Scholar
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

argh... evil american laws again...
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Much worse than a night in jail and $137 combined. Try getting your license pulled, a much heftier fine, a few nights in jail, and getting kicked out of your school.

argh... evil american laws again
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

salm wrote:

argh... evil american laws again
evil american laws?
Sebastin
Padawan Learner

Post by Sebastin »

nice to live in germany where you can drink stuff like beer and whine at 16 and schnaps at 18.
Do you live in the same germany I live in? I think it is beer* and other soft alcoholic stuff at 14 and harder drinks at 16.

Of course everyone I know started with schnaps at 14 and moved to beer when older, it´s not like it is really enforced over here. We were all drinking in a bar (How to translate Biergarten?) at that age (14/15).

*German beer, not that brown water reportetly avaiable in the US.
Image Viel Feind; Viel Ehr´.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Sebastin wrote:
Do you live in the same germany I live in? I think it is beer* and other soft alcoholic stuff at 14 and harder drinks at 16.

Of course everyone I know started with schnaps at 14 and moved to beer when older, it´s not like it is really enforced over here. We were all drinking in a bar (How to translate Biergarten?) at that age (14/15).

*German beer, not that brown water reportetly avaiable in the US.
My state has more privately owned firearms then the German armed forces, so HA. Forget going out to get drunk, I can go out in the woods at 15 and shoot things with an M16, which I've found to be far more fun then getting drunk.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

NF_Utvol wrote:
Dont whine about getting a ticket. When you took a drink and you are underage, you took the risk of getting caught. You got caught. Life's not fair, don't B**** about it. You're not getting any sympathy from me because you broke the rules and are having to pay for it. :twisted:
Asshole. Have you ever even broken the speed limit?

Do you know how many people drink every weekend and DON'T get caught? I only had three drinks and the only reason he smelled it on me was because some asshole had spilled on me. I wasn't hurting anybody, I wasn't being loud, annoying, or troublesome. It's not as if I had driven home. We had sober people driving, we made sure that there was a way to get back without any drunk person driving. There was no way for me to hurt anybody.

This is an unjust law that does nothing to stop drinking.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Mr. B wrote: This is an unjust law that does nothing to stop drinking.
There are scores of unjust laws that don't do fucking shit, so deal
with it, you stupid fucking idiot. SHIT HAPPENS.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Mr. B wrote:
NF_Utvol wrote:
Asshole. Have you ever even broken the speed limit?

Do you know how many people drink every weekend and DON'T get caught? I only had three drinks and the only reason he smelled it on me was because some asshole had spilled on me. I wasn't hurting anybody, I wasn't being loud, annoying, or troublesome. It's not as if I had driven home. We had sober people driving, we made sure that there was a way to get back without any drunk person driving. There was no way for me to hurt anybody.

This is an unjust law that does nothing to stop drinking.
Hmm, well now. You DID know the laws. You DID know that you werent supposed to be drinking underage. Why didnt you stay put where you were at until the smell got off you? If you used a bit of since, and didnt get yourself into positions where you got tickets, then you wouldn't have gotten busted. Oh, and if your friends got tickets, did you not expect to get one when it could be smelled on you?

So dont whine to us about it.

Again, LIFES NOT FAIR! When you drunk the first beer, you ran the risk of getting caught, and guess what, you got caught.