new message board

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

new message board

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Hello all!

Yes, this is a useful post :P

Anyway, I want to make a new message board (two, actually) for various purposes. I plan to give moderator status on both boards to select members from this one (mostly current mods, etc).

Anyway, I was wondering what message board service provider all of you recommend. It must provide at least a decent amount of features, and most of all must be free, because I'm a cheap-ass :P
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

try this one. it´s free. and has a whole bunch of features.

http://www.phpbb.com/
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

salm wrote:try this one. it´s free. and has a whole bunch of features.

http://www.phpbb.com/
thanks, a free phpbb is perfect :D
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Can't wait till your board is ready!
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

I hereby volunteer to moderate.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The purposes of the message board being?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Sea Skimmer wrote:The purposes of the message board being?
Two message boards, actually, provided I can get two

One will be a message board for my high school. The other will be a branch of SD.net, an extension of the OT forum where people are free to post whatever they want away from David :P

Of course if I can only get one working, the former will take priority. Nonetheless I still plan to give mod status to at least a few SD.net denizens (Wong and Bean come to mind....)

Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Hey, if you need a mod, ill help you out! Especially if you have a military or aviation forum :D
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

NF_Utvol wrote:Hey, if you need a mod, ill help you out! Especially if you have a military or aviation forum :D
Well, the forums I plan to have are:

OT Forum - pretty explicit

Science, Logic and Morality - an exact mirror of SD.net's forum. Most of the people at my high school are actualy highly interested in these subjects (there's even a class dedicated for this)

Politics - a dedicated forum to politics

Fanfics - not exactly a mirror of this site, dedicated to general stories rather than pure Sci-Fi.

School - just general things about school

As for mods, I fear I can only award up to 5 positions max to SD.net members (at least two are already preassigned to Wong and Bean, most likely a third to Dalton). All other mod positions, whether to people from SD.net or from my high school, will be on a first come to first serve basis.

And of course, I have special measures already planned just incase we end up with fuckers like Arminiass "invading"

As for my "pure OT" message board, provided I can get a second one working as well - it will be very loose, and right now I'm even considering giving a mod position to whoever wants it. I'm also debating whether to make this board PHPBB as well, or just go the cheap-ass-lazy route and get the easiest and cheapest boardset I can find, perhaps even a form of Mike Wong's first AOTC message board.

Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

Well, I guess it's too late now, but:

http://www.aimoo.com
That's the wrong way to tickle Mary, that's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that, over here lad, they like it best like this!
Hooray, pour les français! Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know how to tickle Mary, but we learnt how, over there!
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Hmm the current mods will be mods there....
excellent.
Supermod
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

RayCav of ASVS wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:The purposes of the message board being?
Two message boards, actually, provided I can get two

One will be a message board for my high school. The other will be a branch of SD.net, an extension of the OT forum where people are free to post whatever they want away from David :P

Of course if I can only get one working, the former will take priority. Nonetheless I still plan to give mod status to at least a few SD.net denizens (Wong and Bean come to mind....)
Will you be linking ot the SD.net forums? SB? WCotC?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

I volunteer to moderate SLM and Politcs or anythign else.
Supermod
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

RayCav of ASVS wrote:
NF_Utvol wrote:Hey, if you need a mod, ill help you out! Especially if you have a military or aviation forum :D
Well, the forums I plan to have are:

OT Forum - pretty explicit

Science, Logic and Morality - an exact mirror of SD.net's forum. Most of the people at my high school are actualy highly interested in these subjects (there's even a class dedicated for this)

Politics - a dedicated forum to politics

Fanfics - not exactly a mirror of this site, dedicated to general stories rather than pure Sci-Fi.

School - just general things about school

As for mods, I fear I can only award up to 5 positions max to SD.net members (at least two are already preassigned to Wong and Bean, most likely a third to Dalton). All other mod positions, whether to people from SD.net or from my high school, will be on a first come to first serve basis.

And of course, I have special measures already planned just incase we end up with fuckers like Arminiass "invading"

As for my "pure OT" message board, provided I can get a second one working as well - it will be very loose, and right now I'm even considering giving a mod position to whoever wants it. I'm also debating whether to make this board PHPBB as well, or just go the cheap-ass-lazy route and get the easiest and cheapest boardset I can find, perhaps even a form of Mike Wong's first AOTC message board.
I volunteer too moderate something.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Oh BTW if you want to moderate do visit the board because as you can imagine I can only make mods out of registered users :P

You can find it here:

http://pub34.ezboard.com/bsmokyhillibmessageboard

Please come quick I can only give out 2-3 postions left (all the others reserved for classmates)

Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

My fucking account doesn't work. Damn you ezboard.
Supermod