Best Novel to Movie Adaptation? Worst?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Stormbringer wrote:
Datlon wrote:Worst: Dune. Fucking hell...
Which version or is it both?
He made it clear on ASVS, both. I rather like th 1980 version, however. At least it had Picard Stewart :D
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

LOTR was a great adaptation, but so was The Eaters of the Dead.

The worst was Starship Trooper, I read the book years ago, and the movie had nothing to do with it but the name. I don't know about Sum of all Fears, but it's my favorite book of all time, and I know the movie is nothing like it so I will probably never watch it and save me from getting pissed. In fact the only Tom Clancy movies that did not suck was Red October. That was close enough even though the ending was compressed.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

I thought Dune was cool...especially the music. heh
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Bes: (New)Lord of the Rings

Worst: Dune. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I nearly killed myself just watching that...THING 'fold space'. Uaaaagh!

BTW, Ender's Game is coming to the silver screen? Where can I find out more about this?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

It's on OSC's site...

http://www.hatrack.com/
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

The Sentinel (short story) came first. The story idea from which 2001 evolved. Then it was turned into the movie script. And then the book.

Not quite adaption. But close enough. And 2010 definetly came before the movie.
That's far from being an adaption though. The entire basis of the story is different, and so are it's themes. Calling 2001 an adaption of "The Sentinal" is like calling Lord of the Rings and adaption of the Mists of Avalon.
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Worst - Any Michael Crichton. Especially Congo and the Jurassic Park series. I pray that noone chooses to make a movie out of Timeline.
Hahahaha! They made something much much wose than a movie, a computer game! Hahahaha, ur weapon is a pole thingy, that looks like a stick! Beware of the Stick!