Giving the M-4 Sherman It's due.....(WW2 Grog thread)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

He was also a very devote Nazi and saw a purpose in fighting on..
Dont get me wrong, I think the Nazis were one of the worst things this earth has ever seen, and I dont like them one bit, and Rommel was one of them, but, he also was in on the plot to kill Hitler and wanted to end the war with the allies.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

NF_Utvol wrote:Dont get me wrong, I think the Nazis were one of the worst things this earth has ever seen, and I dont like them one bit, and Rommel was one of them, but, he also was in on the plot to kill Hitler and wanted to end the war with the allies.
No, he wasn't. That was a case of fabrication and mistakes on the part of the Gestapo. Rommel wasn't involved, because the conspirators never had the chance to convince him. The main evidence for his execution was the fact that the conspirators were going to appoint him the new leader.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

I read somewhere that Rommel wasn't even in the Nazi party...
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
NF_Utvol wrote:Dont get me wrong, I think the Nazis were one of the worst things this earth has ever seen, and I dont like them one bit, and Rommel was one of them, but, he also was in on the plot to kill Hitler and wanted to end the war with the allies.
No, he wasn't. That was a case of fabrication and mistakes on the part of the Gestapo. Rommel wasn't involved, because the conspirators never had the chance to convince him. The main evidence for his execution was the fact that the conspirators were going to appoint him the new leader.
Actually, he committed suicide while in a hospital in france after being injured in a strafing run. Suicide was the alternative to being tried as a traitor for being in on the plot to overthrow hitler.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

NF_Utvol wrote:
Pablo Sanchez wrote:
Actually, he committed suicide while in a hospital in france after being injured in a strafing run. Suicide was the alternative to being tried as a traitor for being in on the plot to overthrow hitler.
Rommel was in Germany with his family when he committed suicide, and did so at a local Nazi party, or was it SS? Building. He was however still recovering from his wounds, though would have been back in action within a month or so, likely commanding an army group in the East.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Thanks Sheppard, that was very interesting reading!
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Sea Skimmer wrote: Rommel was in Germany with his family when he committed suicide, and did so at a local Nazi party, or was it SS? Building. He was however still recovering from his wounds, though would have been back in action within a month or so, likely commanding an army group in the East.
WRONG WRONG WRONG!

A bunch of grim gentlement arrived at his house, and they spoke with
Rommel alone, and told him that the Führer had been greviously wounded
by the rumours of Rommels' involvement in the plot to kill him, and as
such, was going to offer him a choice:

*A show trial and execution

*Or committing suicide and being given a military burial, with
no reprisals to his family at all.

Rommel Chose the latter, and after an emotional talk with his wife,
Frau Rommel, and his son, Manfred, went out the door and got
into the staff car that had delivered the two officers to his doorstep.

Somewhere along the ride to the hospital, Rommel took the poison
and was dead by the time they reached teh hospital...

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/GERrommel.htm

Erwin Rommel's son, Manfred Rommel, later recalled the day his father committed suicide.

We went into my room. "I have just had to tell your mother," he began slowly, "that I shall be dead in a quarter of an hour. Hitler is charging me with high treason. In view of my services in Africa I am to have the chance of dying by poison. The two generals have brought it with them. Its fatal in three seconds. If I accept, none of the usual steps will be taken against my family. I'd be given a state funeral. It's all been prepared to the last detail. In a quarter of an hour you will receive a call from the hospital in Ulm to say that I've had a brain seizure on the way to a conference.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

I was thinking he took the poison while in a hospital. But, he did not committ suicide while at a party building.