A logo that dalton NEEDS to add to his memorial page....

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Clearly the United states needs 500 Mach-3 F-108 Rapier's flying standing patrols with AIR-2A Genie nuclear air to air rockets and AIM-155's.
Bah. Just procure a bunch of Super Tomcat 21s with the AIM-155. If you're going to get the F-108, you might as well give the CF the Arrow :)
This is of course in addition to 80 F6D "The flying SAM site" Missileer's each modified to carry 8 AIM-155's in place of there original Eagles. They will be flying point defense for key targets.
If you're going this far, why not modify a bunch of B-52s with the APG-71 and a huge load of AIM-155s :D
Ground defenses shall be 5000 F-99 Bomarc's for long range engagements with tactical nuclear warheads, along with 2500 enhanced NIKE Hercules batteries backed by 2000 MEADS sites. All significant cities will also have NASAMS firing units for final point defense. Laser systems will be incorporated once ready. MALI will also replace Bomarc when ready.
MALI? NASAMS? I assume that the laser defenses will also include AL-1 patrols?

And bah, Bomarc.
The capital buildings dome will be replaced with something like the forward superstructure of a Burke, only with radars packing 10 times the power, and the ability to pump out enough power to kill birds at 300 miles, or down aircraft at 40 by melting the flight controls. It will also be able to destroy communications statalights
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote: Bah. Just procure a bunch of Super Tomcat 21s with the AIM-155. If you're going to get the F-108, you might as well give the CF the Arrow :)
Can the Tomcat sustain Mach 3 over 2000 miles without refueling? I think not..
phongn wrote: If you're going this far, why not modify a bunch of B-52s with the APG-71 and a huge load of AIM-155s :D
Don't even go there..
Besides, they're all going to be needed for the MRIV'ed Skybolt III program.

phongn wrote: MALI? NASAMS? I assume that the laser defenses will also include AL-1 patrols?

And bah, Bomarc.
MALI is a new SAM project; I forget which nation is actually developing it though. IIRC a private US venture. Basically it is a SAM combined thats really more of a drone aircraft. It can hunt for targets on its own over a range of 230 miles at sub sonic speeds with a flight time of nearly a half hour. Once it acquires something it ignites its solid fuel rocket and races in for the kill. Basically when you know attacks are in the area you salvo off a couple of these and then move away to avoid counter attacks. Its basically a solution to the ease with which stand off weapons can kill existing semi fixed sites like PAC-2 and SA-12. However its years from the testing stage.

Unfortunately I can find my link to the project information.

NASAMS is ground launched AMRAAM, but from what's basically a fixed launcher. It was first developed for Norway. HUMRAAM is similar, but mobile and with exposed missiles. However it is very overloaded, still it can move on its own rather then needing a tow like so the Marines went with it.

What I really want though is AMRAAM fired from an enclosed six round launcher on the back of a HEMTT with FLIR, laser ranging, along with search and ranging radar for bad weather.

AL-1 standing patrols will be used to pick off any ICBM's or SS-N-16's fired close inshore along with cruise missiles, however for downing small aircraft and protecting SAM sites several thousand THEL firing units will deployed, with bigger systems deployed when ready.

phongn wrote: ...
It would prove highly effective, just as long as no one depresses the radar below the horizon, since it would be pretty lethal to humans at medium ranges..

DC won't have much of a bird problem after a couple days.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote:
Bwahahah

NHK-2 hardly counts as Nike Hercules anymore! Plus, they have the minor problem of having the spent first-stage casing fall on some poor guy.

I dunno, I'd suspect that it'd be costly just to reopen the production lines, update its archaic systems and integrate it with modern C4ISR and sensors.

Screw them we've got Terrorist to kill! Anyway perhaps a self-destruct could be rigged up or a drag chute.

I can think of a half dozen bases the Air Force wants to close that would free up 3 billion dollars a year. That should do for a start. That combined with cutting funding to all those extra Wasp's that keep getting shoved into the budget each year and some other selective trimming should free up sufficient fund to get a line back open.

After that about 5000-7000 missiles would be needed, so individual unit cost should not be that great.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
phongn wrote: Bah. Just procure a bunch of Super Tomcat 21s with the AIM-155. If you're going to get the F-108, you might as well give the CF the Arrow :)
Can the Tomcat sustain Mach 3 over 2000 miles without refueling? I think not..
True...but at least put the Super Tomcat 21's electronics package in.
Don't even go there..
It'd be the F6D on steroids! You could decimate entire enemy strike packages with it!
Besides, they're all going to be needed for the MRIV'ed Skybolt III program.
A MIRVed Skybolt? :shock:

Bah, we need an air-to-air version of it.

Unfortunately I can find my link to the project information.
NASAMS is ground launched AMRAAM, but from what's basically a fixed launcher. It was first developed for Norway. HUMRAAM is similar, but mobile and with exposed missiles. However it is very overloaded, still it can move on its own rather then needing a tow like so the Marines went with it.
Ahh, okay. I thought it was something like HUMRAAM.
What I really want though is AMRAAM fired from an enclosed six round launcher on the back of a HEMTT with FLIR, laser ranging, along with search and ranging radar for bad weather.
A might impressive mobile SAM system it'd be...and probably expensive as well. Like a Roland on steroids?
It would prove highly effective, just as long as no one depresses the radar below the horizon, since it would be pretty lethal to humans at medium ranges..
You'd probably cook much of DC that way...
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

phongn wrote:
Bwahahah

Bah, it has confirmed that the Nikes would fuck up us as much as them :P
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
phongn wrote:
Bwahahah

NHK-2 hardly counts as Nike Hercules anymore! Plus, they have the minor problem of having the spent first-stage casing fall on some poor guy.

I dunno, I'd suspect that it'd be costly just to reopen the production lines, update its archaic systems and integrate it with modern C4ISR and sensors.

Screw them we've got Terrorist to kill! Anyway perhaps a self-destruct could be rigged up or a drag chute.
Maybe.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote:
True...but at least put the Super Tomcat 21's electronics package in.
Course
phongn wrote:It'd be the F6D on steroids! You could decimate entire enemy strike packages with it!
Does Dale Brown Currently have a gun to your head? Or is he just circling your home with his plane loaded with pipe bombs?

phongn wrote: A MIRVed Skybolt? :shock:

Better yet, both on the same missile, Maneuverable reentry vehicles :twisted:
phongn wrote: Ahh, okay. I thought it was something like HUMRAAM.
Yup, but HUMRAAM came second.
phongn wrote: A might impressive mobile SAM system it'd be...and probably expensive as well. Like a Roland on steroids?
Pretty much, only with three or four times the effective range, and no need to light up a radar for continual illumination, only the tracker would be needed to aim the AIM-120's own radar in the right direction, so it can shoot and scoot like no other radar system.
phongn wrote:
You'd probably cook much of DC that way...
Likely. Course part of me wonders if that would really be a bad thing..
Last edited by Sea Skimmer on 2002-09-16 08:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

A Manji design isn't enough. What we need is a Daniel Rodgers design. A special machine transports es into the jet, although the hull of the jet would block the transporters, and it's moving really fast, and it would be easier just ot fire a missile. That's the Daniel Rodgers concept for you.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:A Manji design isn't enough. What we need is a Daniel Rodgers design. A special machine transports es into the jet, although the hull of the jet would block the transporters, and it's moving really fast, and it would be easier just ot fire a missile. That's the Daniel Rodgers concept for you.
Using Skipper for air to air would be more effective then that...

Anyway my block II ultimate air defense gird on already on the drawing board. Among its features will be a 57mm gun burst firing 10,000fps AHEAD rounds at 1500 RPM. This weapon will be found in quad mountings linked to FLIR with laser ranging and optional radar fire control.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Sea Skimmer wrote: Does Dale Brown Currently have a gun to your head? Or is he just circling your home with his plane loaded with pipe bombs?
ROTFMALO!

:D :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :oops: :oops:

That is so fucking TRUE. I got tired of his novels
after I realized they were USAF wank-fests, with
a single B-52 wiping out entire armored divisions
in minutes....
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

MKSheppard wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote: Does Dale Brown Currently have a gun to your head? Or is he just circling your home with his plane loaded with pipe bombs?
ROTFMALO!

:D :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :oops: :oops:

That is so fucking TRUE. I got tired of his novels
after I realized they were USAF wank-fests, with
a single B-52 wiping out entire armored divisions
in minutes....
Which book was that? It needs burning..

I read just one, Warrior class, and read summaries of a couple others. That was enough to turn me away from his work for all time, expect when I need uber weapons to TGOD people with.

The only way any of his shit is even remotely possible is if the bombers were armed completely with Nuclear weapons..

It's not really a USAF wank-fest, just a general bomber wank-fest. Course when an enemy super bomber showed in Warrior class it of course had to be hobbled with a half dozen near fatal flaws so the Megafortresses could win once again.

His anti fighter bias is strong enough to repel multi-megaton weaponry, and his anti physics planes which still require technology which doesn’t exist to work spew out technobabble that often puts Trek to shame..

The recoilless anti tank railguns come to mind, or the body armor, which not only has the resistance of 15mm of steel, but is also evidently able to dissipate kinetic energy, preventing the user from being knocked over by a full AK mag at point blank..
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Sea Skimmer wrote: Which book was that? It needs burning..
Actually, all of them with the exception of his original
novel, "Flight of The Old Dog" and "Silver Tower".
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

MKSheppard wrote:
Oh yeah, Chains of Command was good.

That was a F-111 Aardvark book..EHEH...actual release
of a fucking NUKE......

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
phongn wrote:It'd be the F6D on steroids! You could decimate entire enemy strike packages with it!
Does Dale Brown Currently have a gun to your head? Or is he just circling your home with his plane loaded with pipe bombs?
The latter. My backyard CIWS had to be shut off due to noise ordinances, so I'm stuck praising the BUFF.

So yes, imagine how many AAAMs you could cram into that bomb bay and the wing hardpoints!

MARVs? That's sick.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:
The latter. My backyard CIWS had to be shut off due to noise ordinances, so I'm stuck praising the BUFF.

So yes, imagine how many AAAMs you could cram into that bomb bay and the wing hardpoints!

Local college still wont let me put my Snow Drift and Grill Pan SA-17 and SA-12 Fire control radar's on there hilltop bell tower, so I'm struck with the NASAMS firing unit on my roof.

Say it's what 1000 miles from the Philadelphia area to Tampa? Figure 15 minutes prep time, 30 minutes flight; I should be able to knock him down for ya with my Rapier in about 45 minutes. Think people will notice the low-level mach 3 shockwave or AIM-155 exploding?

MARVs? That's sick.
And insanely effective.. :lol: :twisted: :lol:

I'd really like to see a Megafortress BUFF evade a mach 15 RV that can corkscrew..
Last edited by Sea Skimmer on 2002-09-16 11:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

MKSheppard wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:
Oh yeah, Chains of Command was good.

That was a F-111 Aardvark book..EHEH...actual release
of a fucking NUKE......
Some one else I know well online thinks Chains of Commanded was among the worst of em, he is ex USAF so I dont know..

Anyway it always seemed like Brown could spin a good enough story, but needed impossible to really make it work. He should just branch out into actual sci fi rather then bothering with this pseudo realism, which generally leads to crap.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Local college still wont let me put my Snow Drift and Grill Pan SA-17 and SA-12 Fire control radar's on there hilltop bell tower, so I'm struck with the NASAMS firing unit on my roof.
I wanted to set up a Cobra Dane, a SPY-1D and a few other toys in, but the locals don't like tall buildings so they'd scream. Damned ordinances. They wouldn't let me set up the HIBEX battery either.
Say it's what 1000 miles from the Philadelphia area to Tampa? Figure 15 minutes prep time, 30 minutes flight; I should be able to knock him down for ya with my Rapier in about 45 minutes. Think people will notice the low-level mach 3 shockwave or AIM-155 exploding?
Yes. The Tampa Bay area is full of old people.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:Local college still wont let me put my Snow Drift and Grill Pan SA-17 and SA-12 Fire control radar's on there hilltop bell tower, so I'm struck with the NASAMS firing unit on my roof.
I wanted to set up a Cobra Dane, a SPY-1D and a few other toys in, but the locals don't like tall buildings so they'd scream. Damned ordinances. They wouldn't let me set up the HIBEX battery either.
That just sucks, people started complaining when I dug up a local field for the THAAD silos and super hardened F-108 rocket assisted VLS hanger.
phongn wrote:
Yes. The Tampa Bay area is full of old people.
Once I'm done they wont have to worry about hearing any loud noises, ever again.