OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Oldest penis 100 million years old

Post by MKSheppard »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2& ... ence_penis

LEICESTER (Reuters) - Sex was first recognised in the fossil records more than 500 million years ago and the oldest known penis is about 100 million years old, a conference has heard.

It belongs to an ostracod, an early crustacean related to crabs, shrimps and water fleas, and was found in a fossil sample unearthed in Brazil.

"To my knowledge it is the oldest penis. I don't know of any older," Professor David Siveter, of the University of Leicester, told the British Association science conference on Friday.

Dinosaurs were around 100 million years ago but the only known dinosaur fossils are of bones, not soft tissue.

In fact the ostracod fossil had not one penis but two.

Siveter, an expert in palaeontology, believes ostracods are very sexy animals because they have the second longest sperm in the animal kingdom. A one millimetre ostracod can produce a single sperm 10 millimetres long.

"An ostracod has the longest sperm to body ratio of any animal known to man, so clearly it has to have special equipment to deal with the sperm. It doesn't have one penis, it has two. We found the two penises in a 100 million year old fossil," he said.

By studying gender and sexuality and how far it goes back in the fossil record, Siveter said scientists can learn more about how animal reproduction evolved and behavioural traits.

In a separate presentation, Professor Scott Sampson of the University of Utah Museum of Natural History in the United States said that dinosaurs probably used their enormous horns, pikes, plates and crests to attract the opposite sex, in a similar way that peacocks use their colourful array of feathers.

Some of the appendages were used as weapons but Sampson said others were simply not strong enough to be useful against an enemy and like deer or antelope they used the horns to impress potential mates.

"I think the evidence is quite strong that dinosaurs did too," he said.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Shep, you are now officially the trivia man of the month
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Hooray!!

Uh, I think. :?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Sienthal
Padawan Learner

Dear God!

Post by Sienthal »

This is going onto my doomsday list part of my sig.
Welcome to the Divine Empire of Ashcroft:
-Hey, you! Sending e-mail, eh?Say Cheese!
-What I say here is forever being recorded. Wonderful, isn't it?
-Jack Chick develops the most disturbing Chick tract to date. It may be viewed here: MIGHTY MORPHIN' SATAN RANGERS! GO!
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

0_o

And this is important why?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Quite useful and informative information there, wait a minute….

I think I liked it more when Sheppard was just posting weapons relative links, rather then working the really fucking bizarre angle...
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956