What Languages Do You Know?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I speak bad English, good American, and have a good dialect in sailor-ess, though was not a sailor. Spent time in Japan though only picked up a few phrases, and I know broken Spanish the Mexican varient. :D
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Native English, can comprehend and make basic conversation in French, German and Japanese, given time.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

English is my first language, but I'm nearly fluent in German (nothing six months in Germany couldn't fix :wink: ) and as such, I can understand Dutch were I ever stuck in Holland.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
A Big Flying Fish
Jedi Knight

Post by A Big Flying Fish »

lets see. native language is english, but I can also speak/write/read/listen french to a half decent level, know a bit of german, a fare bit of cockney and can understand but not speak most essex spoken words
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

-English Fluently

-Intermediate French with mild to semi heavy accent depending on the time of day

-I can understand some spanish due to my knowledge of French cuz they're so damn similar.

-Basic Basic Japanese. I just had my final in on wednesday. Then It's off to Basic Japanese

Sandoitchi to biru de ikura desu ka?

20 bucks to the guy who translates that.
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

On the subject of Portugues: Check this out. Especially the hobbies. :lol:
「かかっ―」
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

-English Fluently

-Intermediate French with mild to semi heavy accent depending on the time of day

-I can understand some spanish due to my knowledge of French cuz they're so damn similar.

-Basic Basic Japanese. I just had my final in on wednesday. Then It's off to Basic Japanese

20 bucks to the guy who translates that.
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

How much for a sandwich and beer?
「かかっ―」
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

XaLEv wrote:

Got it in one Xalev :D
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

XaLEv wrote:
Truly amazing, you're really o deus das galinhas
[mad cackling] :)
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Colonel Olrik wrote:
XaLEv wrote:
Truly amazing, you're really o deus das galinhas
[mad cackling] :)
Indeed.

Boku wa niwatori no kami desu yo!
「かかっ―」
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

Let's see... fluent American, near-fluent Thai (I have a very hard time with it written -- haven't got the character set committed completely to memory despite it being my first language, probably because I grew up in the U.S.), passable Japanese, and a year's worth of Spanish. I'm surprised at the high concentration of Japanese speakers on this board, though.

Shadow Warchief -- shouldn't the particle be wa (in the general case -- "Kono BIIRU wa ikura desuka?") rather than de (used for indicating means and locations of a specific action -- "Kissaten de tabemashita." or "Hikouki de kaerimashita.")? I have been wrong pretty often with particles, though, despite my experience.

ZaLEv -- you're god of the chickens?
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Fluent English(obviously) and learning Latin.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

:evil: Evil laughter :twisted: I speak English (being as I live in the US), can speak slow-medium conversational Spanish (and read it at about the same level), can fluently understand (does that make sense?) Spanish, if spoken to me not-very-fast, can read a bit of Portuguese (thank you Spanish, and Orson Scott Card), can count to ten in Chinese (thanks to Mr. Nuzum, my English 12 teacher), say the alphabet in German (I've known this since 3rd grade), count to ten in French (since the end of 6th grade), as well as say "red" (also since the end of 6th grade), have an interest in Japanese, HTML, learning JAVA, am minoring in Russian, can say "so much, so little" in Gaelic, and also would like to know both of "my" languages: Hopi and Tewa. I think I win over you all. :cool: :D
Last edited by haas mark on 2002-09-13 06:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Datana wrote:Shadow Warchief -- shouldn't the particle be wa (in the general case -- "Kono BIIRU wa ikura desuka?") rather than de (used for indicating means and locations of a specific action -- "Kissaten de tabemashita." or "Hikouki de kaerimashita.")? I have been wrong pretty often with particles, though, despite my experience.
The entry for de in my dictionary says this: "5. (price) at; for."
ZaLEv -- you're god of the chickens?
Yeah. Read the exchange between Colonel Olrik and myself here, and see the post of his I replied to earlier in this thread. 'Sou o Deus das Galinhas' means 'I am the God of the Chickens' in Portuguese. After his post here, I decided to say it in Japanese too.
「かかっ―」
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

I speak English and high school French. If my mother is to be believed, I used to speak Khmer. I find that odd, as I don't remember ever knowing a single word of it. I'm making it a project to see if I can reacquire some phrases by December.
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

The particle should be "wa" if I was only using one object. For example.

Sandoitchi wa ikura desu ka?

Is "how much for a sandwich?

But with another object, you have to use de.

Ryoho de ikura desu ka?

"How much do they both cost?"
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

English, North Eastern America dialect

Limited Spanish
Very Limited German
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: What Languages Do You Know?

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Edi wrote:Just out of curiosity, how many and what languages do you people speak? I know most people here are Americans or Canadians, and obviously everyone here knows English to communicate, but what's the spectrum on other languages?

Finnish is my native language, but in addition to that and English I speak a Swedish and German (both of them very badly due to lack of practice).

So, what about the rest of you?

Edi
English is my first language. I can speak French, and I can speak just enough Spanish to make it clear that I'm looking for someone who can speak English to me. I can read French, Spanish, some Italian, some Latin, and some Portugese.
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

I STILL think I win...
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Well, I know a little bit of Italian. I've always pushed myself to learn more but laziness gets in the way :(
I studied French for 7 years but I haven't used it in a conversation for over a year.

Bean, I'm interested that you knew some Italian. What country were you in at the time when you were speaking this language (if you don't mind me proding)?
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

Shadow WarChief wrote:The particle should be "wa" if I was only using one object. For example.

Sandoitchi wa ikura desu ka?

Is "how much for a sandwich?

But with another object, you have to use de.

Ryoho de ikura desu ka?

"How much do they both cost?"
Ah. Again, I always mix up my particles, even after six years; I don't think I've ever run across the situation of asking for the price of two separate objects at once before, though. I stand corrected.
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Primary=English
Secondary= Mandarin
Learning Spanish *second year of learning*
Hope to learn German sooner or later.

Cyaround,
Jason
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Darth Eris
Youngling

Post by Darth Eris »

Lessee... Spoken languages:
English - Fluent American (Southern Dialect), some British English, various accents
German - 2 years high school
Japanese - Mostly little tidbits from watching too much anime. I can also recognize a couple written characters, and can say "Where is the key?" and "That is a secret."
Russian - Three whole words :)

Computer Languages:
BASIC - QBASIC, PBASIC, and Visual BASIC to varying degrees
Pascal, C, C++ - All fairly fluently

I can also recognize about half the letters of the Aurebesh. :)
Reality. The final frontier.
"The ability to speak does not make one intelligent." - Qui-gon Jinn
Pay homage unto the great Caffeine-kami, for her blessings are plenty and necessary to all college students.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

English - Fluent speaker of, poor spelling
Greek - Fluent speaker of, even poorer spelling
German - Understand it better than I speak it, can make sense of written material
French - Understand it well enough to get by day to day.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'