School safety drills

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

School safety drills

Post by Raxmei »

Yesterday my school held an attack drill. We were instructed to close the curtains (so they can't pick out targets) get on the floor (reduce target area) and lock the doors (so the tardy students are trapped out in the open, easy pickings for the killers). Has anyone else had to go through similar drills? What is your opinion?
GoneCrazy
Village Idiot

Post by GoneCrazy »

we haven't gone through that. seems really stupid. if i were gonna kill people i'd load a briefcase with c-4 go to all commons area before school or during lunch and go BOOM!! (it would work better in the middle school, before school all 800-900, depending on how many's absent, are in the commons) big BOOM!! and i've killed almost as many people as in the world trade center. IT'D BE AWESOME!! (unfortunately, i haven't got the faintest clue where to buy c-4 or how to make it) :evil:
Mess with the Best,
Die Like the Rest
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Should be no surprise that I think you're fucking insane...
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

Yeah, we have a stupid ass "red alert" where we all huddle in the corner away from the doors and windows. So when the shooter gets into the room, it'll make it so instead of corpses away from each other, there will be corpses hunched over against each other in a giant pool of blood.
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I've watched some of thos drills after columbine

I though hmm as an attacker what would I do?

Ok, Hmm AK-47 say is my weapon. Bring plently of gernade each door, smash the window(Most schools have Window Doors) with the Gun Stock or a Hamer or somthing I brought along for that. Toss in Gernade and laugh Manacily, while reminding each and everyone room THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LOCK YOURSELF IN A SMALL ROOM!

Considering the relative pacing I could get maybe 8-12 rooms per mintue, 20 if I was in a hurry while still watching for any rent-a-cops who have to open all those nice loud doors they never oil or replace

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Well considering I am no longer in HS I really don't have to worry about shootings(as if i was worried in the first place :roll: )
My middle school did something like that once, i came late to school that day and was on my way to class in my jacket with my bookbag. A group of cops and the principal almost tackled me to the ground. I spent an hour explaining how I was late and had no idea about the test. Quite embarrasing.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

My school hasn't had a procudure like that, but there are always a few police on hand.

With fully loaded Glocks. And flashbangs.

All I can say, is, some nut tries to shoot up MY school, they get their ass handed to them in a very painful, lead-filled way.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

With fully loaded Glocks. And flashbangs.

All I can say, is, some nut tries to shoot up MY school, they get their ass handed to them in a very painful, lead-filled way.
Glocks and Flashbangs?

The Glocks... Typical dumb police, Those are no good aginst a smart Kevlared oppent

The Flash-bangs however, That IS quiet intellgent, What ever crat thought that one up give them a nice thanks the next time you see them because anyone wanting to harm your school is not coming in with a .22 Pistol

They will bring an AK

But those flash-bangs, Well its the diffrence between you getting iced, and living through it

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

SolidSnake wrote:Yeah, we have a stupid ass "red alert" where we all huddle in the corner away from the doors and windows. So when the shooter gets into the room, it'll make it so instead of corpses away from each other, there will be corpses hunched over against each other in a giant pool of blood.
The idea behind huddling is so that the students on the outside act as bullet/frag catchers for the students on the inside. It will reduce casualties, to a point, provided the attacker(s) isn't armed with weapons powerful enough to shoot through bodies.

These <cough> 'attack drills' appear to be primarily designed to deal with student shooting rampages rather than terrorist attacks. Locking all the doors isn't going to do all that much good if the likes of al Qaida show up with RPGs or a suicide truck bomb. As such it seems rather insensative--indeed, bordering on the bizzare--to hold one of these exercises so close to the Sept 11 anneversary, when the student base is already rather jittery.

Of course, the best defense against students honoring 'take your assault weapons to school' day is to prevent the creation of a corrosive social atmosphere that drives people to flip out. But that's too much like bleeding-heart liberalism for most parents and school administrations to accept....
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

I disagree on the AK. Assault rifles are expensive, slow, and require personal presence to work. I predict the next one will be a bomb attack. With bombs you can kill a lot of people at one time without having to worry about the police until it's too late.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

The Glocks... Typical dumb police, Those are no good aginst a smart Kevlared oppent
All of them are quite good shots. Headshots, perhaps?
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

My school hasn't done anything like that, 5000 kids and too many of them would take advantage of it.

Personally I like to sit so I face the door and am relativily close to it. So if someone bursts in firing, I'll probly won't be the first shot(if the hick has any sense he'll fire at the closest person first) so as he's shooting I can try to force him into close quarters where is rifle isn't as effective and hope he doesn't have a knife or handgun.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The school I once worked at had a similarly stupid plan. Instead of coming to me to work on their plan, they had a "Planning Comission" come out and work on it. It consisted of the Principal, Super Intendent, and one teacher who knew nothing about tactics. It included such obvious errors as moving away from windows so that anyone looking in will easily be able to see students and faculty members, instead of concealing them beneath the windows where they would be harder to spot. It also included such blunders as not moving students who are ALREADY OUTSIDE and near a creek with several bridges nearby AND in uniform so they will be easy to identify, and they didn't move them across the creek! They left them on the school side of the creek so they would be "easier to track down, and would not run off."

When the Principal started talking, some of the history department members and I attempted to get them to change the plan in an effort to make the students safer, instead of placing them in more danger. We were unable to affect change because the planning commission had worked on it, and was more important than any teachers, even AFTER we had convinced the Principal and the Super Intendent that the plan was badly flawed. By the time the planning commission reconvened, they decided not to do anything because during the two months we spent talking to them about it the students had already undergone one drill and to change the plan would cause "confusion during an actual emergency, during which discipline may be necessary to protect the safety" of the students!
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

All of them are quite good shots. Headshots, perhaps?
Kevlar Helmets/Faceplates, They are not perfect protect but a glock IS a Pea-shoters after all so a decent Cop Riot Shield, easily aviable at some gun-shows would stop 10-20 bullets easily

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Police are trained to go for body shots. Kevlar is helpful.
GoneCrazy
Village Idiot

Post by GoneCrazy »

Raxmei wrote:I disagree on the AK. Assault rifles are expensive, slow, and require personal presence to work. I predict the next one will be a bomb attack. With bombs you can kill a lot of people at one time without having to worry about the police until it's too late.

a good idea. does anyone know how to build remote controlled bombs? are they possible? and does anyone know how big of an explosion one of them'd make?
Mess with the Best,
Die Like the Rest
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I know how to make pipebombs, courtesy of a camp counsler. But..

...why do you want to know? It's rather scary.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

GoneCrazy wrote: a good idea. does anyone know how to build remote controlled bombs? are they possible? and does anyone know how big of an explosion one of them'd make?
It is possible but I suggest you take up a more relaxing hobby.
Last edited by Raxmei on 2002-09-11 06:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

GoneCrazy wrote:
Raxmei wrote:I disagree on the AK. Assault rifles are expensive, slow, and require personal presence to work. I predict the next one will be a bomb attack. With bombs you can kill a lot of people at one time without having to worry about the police until it's too late.

a good idea. does anyone know how to build remote controlled bombs? are they possible? and does anyone know how big of an explosion one of them'd make?
You can strip the parts needed for a remote control bomb out of a remote control car, though range would suck and might not work though a building wall. The parts needed for longer-range radio control are not that hard to get though.

But really, if it&#8217;s a school a timer will work just fine as you can predict down to the minute when some areas will be packed with people.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Radio Controled bombs verry in diffuclty from everything from the dead easy(C-4 tied to a remote activator used in TV sets to change the channel except it triggers the bomb instead, Strickly LOS Laser)

To GPS bombs which explod when they reach a certian location or are quired in a parituclar way

Depends on how syphisictated you want it

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I'm not sure which is more disturbing...the fact that people actually know how to make remote controlled bombs, or that they freely distribute the knowledge.

Eh. This is the 21st century. We can all be mass-murderers now.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

GoneCrazy wrote:

You can strip the parts needed for a remote control bomb out of a remote control car, though range would suck and might not work though a building wall. The parts needed for longer-range radio control are not that hard to get though.

But really, if it&#8217;s a school a timer will work just fine as you can predict down to the minute when some areas will be packed with people.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

GoneCrazy wrote:we haven't gone through that. seems really stupid. if i were gonna kill people i'd load a briefcase with c-4 go to all commons area before school or during lunch and go BOOM!! (it would work better in the middle school, before school all 800-900, depending on how many's absent, are in the commons) big BOOM!! and i've killed almost as many people as in the world trade center. IT'D BE AWESOME!! (unfortunately, i haven't got the faintest clue where to buy c-4 or how to make it) :evil:
I sense much hostility in you, young one. I'd suggest finding slightly less destructive outlets for your anger. Get laid, damnit . . . or maybe trying to get laid has made you this way.

But seriously, I hope you're kidding when you say "IT'D BE AWESOME."
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Hey, we'll ALL seriel killers now.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Well, remember kids, these attack drills are for your own good! After all, the American school system is the first place Bin Laden wants to attack! :roll:

I tihnk it's quite disturmbing you all know how to make and detonate a .
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB