A moment of silence for those who died 9/11

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Knife wrote:Not true, the problem lays in the infrastructure the terrorists have in the region. A bunch of really pissed off people cannot do the type of damage the terrorists did on 9-11. The leaders and goverments over there have bankrolled and supported the terrorists for years.
A bunch of really pissed off people will become well-funded terrorists over time, governments will corrupt, and religious differences will cause hatred. You're thinking in too short a term. Remember, they've been going back and forth with violence for 4000 years. The solution lies in their culture, not their resources.
Knife wrote:Removing people like Saddam and investing in the middle east, would remove the money and support that the terrorists need to survive, bringing the arab people into the 21st century and out of poverty and oppression would also remove a recruiting pool for terrorists.
Inefficient. It's a good *idea* to nurture growth in 3rd world nations, but not as a direct solution to terrorism. First world nations spawn terrorists too. More easily controlled terrorists, I'll grant. But people can still be rich, educated, and healthy, and still be angry at the government, fanatical, or violent.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Mr. B wrote:I thought this thread was for a moment of silence, not longwinded speeches and arguments.
Fair game. We can all continue debating on another thread, perhaps.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

For those of you that keep wanting to play this date down, I give you a choice. Next time an act of terriorism is going to take place, we'll let you be the victims. Then tell us what the fuck is up then. To get this back on track, for me currently it is September 11th. ¤§¤

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Lagmonster wrote:
Knife wrote:Not true, the problem lays in the infrastructure the terrorists have in the region. A bunch of really pissed off people cannot do the type of damage the terrorists did on 9-11. The leaders and goverments over there have bankrolled and supported the terrorists for years.
A bunch of really pissed off people will become well-funded terrorists over time, governments will corrupt, and religious differences will cause hatred. You're thinking in too short a term. Remember, they've been going back and forth with violence for 4000 years. The solution lies in their culture, not their resources.
Knife wrote:Removing people like Saddam and investing in the middle east, would remove the money and support that the terrorists need to survive, bringing the arab people into the 21st century and out of poverty and oppression would also remove a recruiting pool for terrorists.
Inefficient. It's a good *idea* to nurture growth in 3rd world nations, but not as a direct solution to terrorism. First world nations spawn terrorists too. More easily controlled terrorists, I'll grant. But people can still be rich, educated, and healthy, and still be angry at the government, fanatical, or violent.
The point is that with out the money, power and industrial base not the mention prestige and diplomatic powers of a nation state that backs terrorist groups, the problem decreases significantly. You will never remove all the disgruntaled people from the world, but to minimize the problem is to reduce the risk of large scale terrorism and return the problem to a more law enforcment type thing instead of a millitary problem.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red