End of Nations

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

End of Nations

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Tell me, how long do you people think the present nations of the world will exist? And don't give me any bullshit over any nation existing forever, because that is exactly that . . bullshit.

I would figure the U.S. may exist in its present form for 100-200 years either without being fundamentally changed(I think the reason it existed so long before now was partially because for the first 100 years it was relatively isolated.) or ending. Again this is just a guess; who knows? In 200 years, there could be a global government, or anarchy. The U.S. could be a pseudo-christian theocracy, or a completely secular state, or something in between.
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

You're being pessimistic. The U.S is a young country, but Portugal has been around here for more than 800 years, with the exact same frontiers. The same with several European countries.
Lifespans of a thousand years for countries are common, as you see.
Of course, now we're slowly transforming into a state in the E.U, but I expect the Union itself will remain in existence for several centuries with each countries identities well demarked.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

course, borders change every few yrs.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

The US shall either go weed smoking Hippies or Militant or maybe a happy medium for a few hundred years. And as for borders since 1920 maniland US been the same, not more in North America because everyone is at peace atleast not fighting neighbors. And if this way of the Goverment shall notstay, Lennox shall rule Earth. Muwhahaha Muwhahahaha :twisted:
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

A great advantage for the U.S. is that all major threats are overseas. The U.S. is basically the only nation in the world that can deal with virtually all oversea threats with conventional forces. So to sum it up, the U.S. can attack you but you can't attack the U.S. lol And like Lennox said, there are no wars, revolutions, and/or border changes in the U.S.'s two adjacent neighboring nations. This is unlike many of the other nations in the world.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

There are an awful lot of people coming and going across the U.S. - Mexico border though.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Hei, even if the U.S were attacked, what's the difference?
Some european countries exist for a thousand years, and they've been countless of times attacked, conquered and liberated. And they're still there. Japan is still a nation, Germany also. Some countries do dissapear, but maintaining a stable region for a really long time is not that rare.
Again, compare the portuguese map from 1400 and now. It's the same.
Of course, America and U.E position is very stable, and that should also help them to maintain themselves for a long time.
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

I believe America as it is currently can only last for another 100 years max.
After that it'll degenerate into some sort of Christian fundamentalist nation or empire, or both, something like the Theocratic Provinces of America.
Religious fervor would demand that they take over the entire continent, meaning invasions of Canada, Mexico and South America.
Win or lose, in the end, they would probably last another couple of hundred years before the superpower would break into individual countries much like the rest of the world.

As for the EU, they'll either break up due to massive quarelling, or go towards forming a European super state where each country loses it's identity, then break up due to massive quarelling.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but it'll probably follow the patterns of history of rises and falls. Nothing lasts forever.. except my evil soul! Hahahahaha.. uh, ignore that last part.
Evil Horseman, ready to torment the damned!

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

I think your fears of a theoistic Christian fundie right America are baseless. Historically, there are always shifts, and we are in a fundie shift right now. Soon, things will swing back per the laws of equilibrium. Personally I think the U.S. has bout 2 or 3 centuries at least. I'm happy, because I'll be dead long before anyway :P
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

RayCav of ASVS wrote:I think your fears of a theoistic Christian fundie right America are baseless. Historically, there are always shifts, and we are in a fundie shift right now. Soon, things will swing back per the laws of equilibrium. Personally I think the U.S. has bout 2 or 3 centuries at least. I'm happy, because I'll be dead long before anyway :P
Perhaps, but I am fairly certain that it will become some sort of totalitarian empire sooner or later, in a similar manner to Rome.
Evil Horseman, ready to torment the damned!

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Evil Jerk wrote:Perhaps, but I am fairly certain that it will become some sort of totalitarian empire sooner or later, in a similar manner to Rome.
OK, but that doesn't equal to the end of the nation. In Portugal we've passed through democratic and totalitarian regimes, were invaded several times and we're still here. The same for several other countries. It's hard to kill a nation. People don't change that much, and two centuries from now I'm convinced things will be pretty the same.
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Evil Jerk wrote:
RayCav of ASVS wrote:I think your fears of a theoistic Christian fundie right America are baseless. Historically, there are always shifts, and we are in a fundie shift right now. Soon, things will swing back per the laws of equilibrium. Personally I think the U.S. has bout 2 or 3 centuries at least. I'm happy, because I'll be dead long before anyway :P
Perhaps, but I am fairly certain that it will become some sort of totalitarian empire sooner or later, in a similar manner to Rome.
Checks and balances keep this away, but not in the designed sense. The real way it wors the 3 wings lacks the power too take the other 2. President, become dictator, whole US, sucede taking all the Military frces within the States. Or opposite Congress declares to overthrow the President lets assume they gey united, unlikely but anyway. President calls in Army brutial martial instilled. So basically no corrupt element influences the other from selfdestructing the goverment, currently. But sooner or later it shall become Tolitarian or Hippiean....I shall rule the United Imperial States of America, Muwhaha :D
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton