Explosive crossbow bolts

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Deimos Anomaly
Village Idiot

Explosive crossbow bolts

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

An idea I got off of a website for a sort of "grenade launcher" type device:
  • Saw the point off an aluminium crossbow bolt.
  • Pack whatever explosive you have to hand inside the bolt until it fills it.
  • Take a low caliber pistol or rifle round, such as a .22, and extract the bullet from the brass, leaving the primer and charge inside the casing intact.
  • Attach the bullet casing onto the front of the crossbow bolt where the point used to be. You may want to lengthen the pin slightly by gluing an extra bit of metal to it, to be sure it will make first contact and get depressed to touch off the charge. DO NOT try to solder the extra bit on, you don't want heat leaking from the soldering iron through the pin and setting the whole shebang off in your face.
  • Insert the bolt into a crossbow.
  • Aim at target.
  • Fire.
PROUD TO
BE A
BRIT!

Ich werde Sie töten!
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Why would that be useful?
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I'd try this but I don't have a crossbow handy :)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Robert Treder wrote:Why would that be useful?
Explosive crossbow bolts have already been used before. The main advantage of a crossbow is the fact that it is very quiet (in comparison with a rifle) and also fairly accurate. With explosive or poisoned bolts, it becomes highly lethal as well.

That said, Deimos' idea is interesting if you're in some underground resistance movement. I don't think that very many of us are, however :)
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Why didn't you post this when Sith God was around???
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

Crayz9000 wrote:That said, Deimos' idea is interesting if you're in some underground resistance movement. I don't think that very many of us are, however :)
My point exactly.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Deimos Anomaly
Village Idiot

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

I was gonna post this in a thread in spacebattles where people were talking about pipe bombs and such. But the monkeys in charge over there oppressed all talk of such and closed the thread.

With a post all typed up and nowhere to put it, I decided to post it here instead of throwing it away.
PROUD TO
BE A
BRIT!

Ich werde Sie töten!
EmperorChrostas the Cruel
Rabid Monkey

Post by EmperorChrostas the Cruel »

I have done this. It is very dangerous, and very fun. First, you must use a centerfire, not a rimfire round. Using a quick set, high strength epoxy to glue a BB to the primer, taking care to get none of it on the shell proper. I recomend JB Quick Weld. Do the BB, in a shell that has NO powder first! Then slide the shell casing over the outside of the bolt, spinning the round to smear the epoxy you put on the OUTside of the bolt. Do NOT fill the bolt 100%! Give yourself an inch or so of empty space at the end, preferably more than the length of the shell. Assume it will blow up while curing, and keep it behind something blast proof for three times the stated curing period. (Is an extra 15 minutes worth your life or eyes?) Put a soft protective cover over over the "hot" end. Assume if you drop it, it will go off. Do not remove said protective cover until crossbow is cocked and ready for the bolt. I have great experience with pyrotecnics and explosives. So my best advise is, DON'T FUCKING DO THIS! Manufacture of such things, in the USA especially, post 9/11 will get you long jail time, if you survive your own stupidity, and are caught.
Hmmmmmm.

"It is happening now, It has happened before, It will surely happen again."
Oldest member of SD.net, not most mature.
Brotherhood of the Monkey
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

Explosive crossbow bolts have already been used before. The main advantage of a crossbow is the fact that it is very quiet (in comparison with a rifle) and also fairly accurate. With explosive or poisoned bolts, it becomes highly lethal as well.

That said, Deimos' idea is interesting if you're in some underground resistance movement. I don't think that very many of us are, however
Dont you throw away the "quiet" attribute of a crossbow when it has an exploding tip ?
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Deimos Anomaly wrote:I was gonna post this in a thread in spacebattles where people were talking about pipe bombs and such. But the monkeys in charge over there oppressed all talk of such and closed the thread.

With a post all typed up and nowhere to put it, I decided to post it here instead of throwing it away.

Ehum, what's wrong with monkeys?
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

TrailerParkJawa wrote: Dont you throw away the "quiet" attribute of a crossbow when it has an exploding tip ?
What I mean by quiet is that it will not give away your position like a rifle would. There's only a quiet ping as the bolt is released, unlike the sharp crack of a rifle.

Hopefully the bolt will explode a long way away from you :)
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
EmperorChrostas the Cruel
Rabid Monkey

Post by EmperorChrostas the Cruel »

No muzzle flash either.
Hmmmmmm.

"It is happening now, It has happened before, It will surely happen again."
Oldest member of SD.net, not most mature.
Brotherhood of the Monkey