OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Computer games illegal in greece

Post by Alyeska »

Read this article, I find it pathetic. :x

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/ne ... 92,00.html
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

That's ridiculous. I have never known anyone to put a serious wager on a videogame (I once had a friend bet me a glass of his best wine that I couldn't beat him at Star Fox. He was wrong). And I think that banning videogames because of their potential in gambling is just silly. There are some radicals here who want to ban them because of their violence, and I can kind of sort of see where they're coming from, but banning videogames to prohibit gambling?!? That is a violation of common human decency. Why don't they just ban second controllers? :roll:
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

How in the hell are they going to enfore this new law!?! Are the geek police going door to door to see if you are playing a computer game? Bah! Foolish geeks! I mean Greeks!
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

In the words of my roommate:

Dude, that's fucked up.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Ha! Finally a stupid law from a country other than the U.S. I can now take this very short moment to make fun of you Europeans.

Somebody call MKSheppard, somebody call Azeron, they'd love this too.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

And to think I thought there black market was bad already…
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Wicked Pilot, If you don't live in Poland, then you haven't seen TRULY stupid laws (like those being passed out by our parlament every day) :D
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Wicked Pilot, If you don't live in Poland, then you haven't seen TRULY stupid laws (like those being passed out by our parlament every day)
Such as?
Supermod
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

You summon Shep by making fun of somthing related to guns or......

GET YOUR FREE AUTOMATIC WEAPONS HERE, GET EM WHILE THERE STILL LEGAL!

That usaly works

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

It's funny, this. Prohibition always leads to bad things. I could lead into my usual four-paragraph post about why, but I'll just leave it at that.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

If America adopts that stupid law, i will take up arms. So, if any of my pig fucker Bush Administration politicians are reading this, look for the guy with a bandanna and a SOCOM pistol when you pass that law... It'll be the last you see.
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

I am probably labeled as public enemy #1 for my previous statement. If i get a call from the Feds or any thing, i will lose all faith in this country.

Heavy Armor Brigade
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Mr Bean wrote:You summon Shep by making fun of somthing related to guns or......

GET YOUR FREE AUTOMATIC WEAPONS HERE, GET EM WHILE THERE STILL LEGAL!

That usaly works
Really? Give me my damn AK-47:P
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

So, what are the Greek Freaks in the Parilamnt going to do to enforce tihs law? Frisk people for Gameboys? Bring in the "Playstation-sniffing dogs"? Send military action to fight the rising "Video game balck market"? Are Greeks going to flee to Germany to play? Such a law is so stupid I wonder if it's some early April Fool's joke. It would require banning PCs, cell phones, just to make sure.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

We should band together and overthrow the greek government!.....or boycott olives or something, just what in hell do they export they we can boycott, lol?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Cpt_Frank: Tax Abolition for one. Our beloved politicians want to allow people who "forgot" to report their income to reveal themselves, pay a 7.5% tax (as opposed to 27%, 35% and 40% paid by the rest of the populace) and be on their way. Now I wonder why the hell did my family honestly pay their taxes, while we could just lie and cheat and be rewared by the state...
Our goverment keeps state monopolies running (even though they bring nothing but financial losses), wants to fix the "budget hole" by imposing a third rad tax, but of course not calling it that, and is getting ready to forgive debts of said goverment industries (of course they DON'T care that commercial banks do not conform to goverment orders, they will simply strangle them with new restrictive laws if they try to oppose this idea) Plus, our employment laws are simply ridiculous - eg. when you fire a worker, depending on the amount of time he worked in your company, you still have to pay him and keep him around for even half a year in some instances!
And that's just what I can think of from the top of my head...

EDIT:I forgot to mention to ultimate stupidity: You need an arms license to buy a friggin' baseball bat over here.
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:So, what are the Greek Freaks in the Parilamnt going to do to enforce tihs law? Frisk people for Gameboys? Bring in the "Playstation-sniffing dogs"? Send military action to fight the rising "Video game balck market"? Are Greeks going to flee to Germany to play? Such a law is so stupid I wonder if it's some early April Fool's joke. It would require banning PCs, cell phones, just to make sure.
Playstation-sniffing dogs. LMAO I like that one.

Heavy Armor Brigade
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I'd love to see how they'd train the Play-station sniffing Dogs :P

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

The dogs are trained to have an excellent sense fo hearing. They will be able to hear a controller button being pressed from 50 kilometers away. Then, the cops will come into the house with riot gear and say "Put the controller down and nobody gets hurt!". Also, once a PS2 is found, it will be confiscated and used for "military purposes" (Did you ever hear about Hussein smuggling 1600 Playstation 2s into Iraq?).
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Gambler
Youngling

Post by Gambler »

Just to keep you all informed I heard they aren't going to bann all games, they want to prohibit the games in internetcafes. It seams like the politicians here in europe don't like internetcafes where you can play games and not only brows.
Here in Germany the police is using the same methods used in China, to close internetcafes in Berlin where you can play games and such.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:The dogs are trained to have an excellent sense fo hearing. They will be able to hear a controller button being pressed from 50 kilometers away. Then, the cops will come into the house with riot gear and say "Put the controller down and nobody gets hurt!". Also, once a PS2 is found, it will be confiscated and used for "military purposes" (Did you ever hear about Hussein smuggling 1600 Playstation 2s into Iraq?).
Weird thing is that that turned out to be true.. What I never heard confirmation on was if they intended to reprogram them to use as normal computers.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

When I first heard of this news, I didn't believe it. I read that greek groups are appealling to the European parliement, and I hope they'll judge the greek authorities insane and indefer the absurdity.
There are E.U regulations against his kind of things. If they don't result in sanctioning Greece, I'll say you have all the authority to make fun of the E.U as a whole. And I'll agree. Stupid greeks.