The King's Man (Spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

The King's Man (Spoilers)

Post by Crazedwraith »

Has anyone else seen this? It went from being in cinemas to almost immediately All my latest threads seem to be complaining about how disappointing things I'd just read/seen are. And I guess that spoils this review a bit!

The King's Man is the third film of the Kingsmen series and is a prequel showing how the Kingsmen were formed. Features Ralph Fiennes as the Duke of Oxford and someone I've never heard of as his son. Which if you remember why Kingsmen formed there's a reason for.

So it tells the tale of WWI from the start to the americans joining the war. With Orlando doing some spy work to make it happens by intercepting the Zimmerman Telegram (a modified bit of actual history) and stopping PotUS being blackmailled via sex tape. (decidedly not I assume)

The main issue I have with it. Is it really can't decide what kind of film it is. There a bit where it's playing up the kingsman style action and spy fights and playing the start of WWI for dark comedy and then in others it's showing the horrors of trench warfare played for real.

Likewise sometimes the Duke's pacifism is played up as the right and correct thing and by the end of the film he's basically told up to man up and be an action here.

Coupled with everyone being weirdly much cruder than the modern-set films and dropping f-bombs and sex references all over the place it just seemed deeply unpleasant to me. I mean maybe this was the point the film highlights the awfulness of British colonialism quite well with scene 1 being in a Boer war concentration camp that is opening called just that and Oxford making no bones that his ancestors got their title through being vicious killers but it doesn't make the film pleasant and again contrasts the bits of the film where the action is aiming more for goofy fun.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: The King's Man (Spoilers)

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I have seen this just the other day on Disney + and it's considerably better than its predecessor, Kingsman: Eggsy Fucks Up.

The part I took issue with is Conrad doing everything he can to get to the front lines and getting his stupid ass killed after a day- he's a newly-minted officer (a Lieutenant) who swaps places with a Lance Corporal and is the victim of friendly fire of all things.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: The King's Man (Spoilers)

Post by wautd »

Recently saw it and was disappointed as well. It felt too long (two movies in one) and while it's a silly universe, it took itself to serious at times. It missed the humor of the previous ones.
Of the trilogy, the first one still is my favorite by far