OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: The Board Members You Miss Thread

Post by LadyTevar »

Shower thoughts:

When someone has died, and a major anniversary is coming up -- their birthday, their wedding anniversary, or the date they died -- how long should you keep bringing it up?

Yes, I know all these things, even if I want to forget the most painful one, but is it right to share it? Is it right to remind other people about it? Is it private, or is it something to spread over FB that this was the day he was born, this was the day he died.

Does it help to remind people of this? Or is it something to keep to myself.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Howdy, old-inactive member here. Been feeling a bit nostalgic and decided to check up on one of my first forums. Noticed that there is apparently a discord.
PM'd a couple people listed in the thread earlier, but no replies as of yet. Figured I'd see if that discord is still active/going.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-15 10:36am Shower thoughts:

When someone has died, and a major anniversary is coming up -- their birthday, their wedding anniversary, or the date they died -- how long should you keep bringing it up?
As long as bringing it up brings some benefit to you.
Yes, I know all these things, even if I want to forget the most painful one, but is it right to share it? Is it right to remind other people about it? Is it private, or is it something to spread over FB that this was the day he was born, this was the day he died.
Unless it's with a group of other people who are likewise reminiscing I wouldn't go too crazy. My preference would be "Today I am remembering X's Y, and I miss X very much"

The problem with putting birth date and death date together on the internet, along with other details, is that it could lead to identity theft. Now, you might think that that is not important - the person is dead, after all - it may be distressing to people who knew and cared about the person. And why help the bad guys?
Does it help to remind people of this? Or is it something to keep to myself.
Widows shouldn't be in a closet any more than anyone else should be in a closet.

I never knew Nitram like you did, but I miss him, too. It would be tragic for him to be forgotten.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

DrMckay wrote: 2022-06-22 08:19pm Howdy, old-inactive member here. Been feeling a bit nostalgic and decided to check up on one of my first forums. Noticed that there is apparently a discord.
PM'd a couple people listed in the thread earlier, but no replies as of yet. Figured I'd see if that discord is still active/going.
It is!
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2022-06-23 12:18pm It is!
Gravy! Who would I want to reach about an invite? (PM'd ace and dartzap)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

DrMckay wrote: 2022-06-23 01:56pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2022-06-23 12:18pm It is!
Gravy! Who would I want to reach about an invite? (PM'd ace and dartzap)
I'll poke them to get back to you. Hope to see you soon :)
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

What ever happened to Durandal and Illuminatus Primus?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-29 01:05pm What ever happened to Durandal and Illuminatus Primus?
No idea about IP but a couple people have mentioned that Durandal is "just busy", presumably staying in touch via Facebook or similar. RedImperator did show up on the Discord, though.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2022-07-03 02:38pm
Galvatron wrote: 2022-06-29 01:05pm What ever happened to Durandal and Illuminatus Primus?
No idea about IP but a couple people have mentioned that Durandal is "just busy", presumably staying in touch via Facebook or similar. RedImperator did show up on the Discord, though.
Married, kid, working at Apple as I recall. He's doing fine. We chat on Twitter occasionally.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

I miss the general activity of this board.

Websites like reddit just don't let make you have regular posters or make connections like a "traditional" does.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
The Xeelee
Padawan Learner

Post by The Xeelee »

Nobody missed me :(

Not surprising lol I was never a power user in terms of posting but when I was in school I’d login to read here every day feels like a huge part of that period of my life. I always wanted to be a user people would know but never had anything worth contributing lol
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Anyone know what became of mr friendly guy? As a doctor he would have inevitably been exposed to COVID-19 and he was last seen while the vaccine was still in development.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

bobalot wrote: 2022-04-11 09:06pm
Broomstick wrote: 2022-02-22 04:25am I miss Thanas. Not my favorite person, we didn't really like each other much, but I had respect for his knowledge and he often made me think or re-think topics.
What happened to Thanas?
Iron Man snapped his fingers.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2023-01-04 12:20pm
Broomstick wrote: 2022-02-22 04:25am I miss Thanas. Not my favorite person, we didn't really like each other much, but I had respect for his knowledge and he often made me think or re-think topics.
What happened to Thanas?
Holy fuckballs you're back!

On a more relevant note, I wasn't around at the same time but I miss Stravo and his writing. Too bad none of them ever seemed to get finished (yes, I am well aware I have my own incomplete story on here) he had some really cool ideas and plotlines.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-01-04 12:34pm
What happened to Thanas?
Holy fuckballs you're back!
Only because of the inevitable Avatar VTOL GLASS CANOPIES threads.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Either way it's good to see you around again. I was re-reading those SCRAMming Up and BARIS LP's of PeZook's over Christmas.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

What happened to Thanas?
What does that mean?
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bobalot wrote: 2023-01-23 06:55am
What happened to Thanas?
What does that mean?
You haven't seen the Avengers movies? Avengers: End Game specifically?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Solauren wrote: 2023-01-23 11:17am

What does that mean?
Nope.

Join SDN on Discord
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

bobalot wrote: 2023-01-27 07:17am
Solauren wrote: 2023-01-23 11:17am

What does that mean?
Nope.
There's always one :P
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

For all his bloviating at times, I miss The Romulan Republic.

Join SDN on Discord
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

bobalot wrote: 2023-02-05 07:16am For all his bloviating at times, I miss The Romulan Republic.
Same. I hope that wherever he is, he's doing well.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Gandalf wrote: 2023-02-05 03:05pm
bobalot wrote: 2023-02-05 07:16am For all his bloviating at times, I miss The Romulan Republic.
He hasn't updated his Fanfiction account since Nov 2020
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2023-02-05 05:41pm
Gandalf wrote: 2023-02-05 03:05pm
He hasn't updated his Fanfiction account since Nov 2020
Huh... has it been 2yrs since he went on that rant and dared the Admin to Ban him?
*checks Parting Shots*
Huh... so it has. It didn't seem that long ago.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-02-05 10:37pm Huh... has it been 2yrs since he went on that rant and dared the Admin to Ban him?
Pretty sure that was at least the second or third time he'd demanded a perma ban.