Beans! Beans! Beans! - Early Holiday Gift Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Beans! Beans! Beans! - Early Holiday Gift Thread

Post by Broomstick »

My sister sent me an early holiday gift, this year, a collection of heirloom beans from a company called Rancho Gordo:

Domingo Rojo
Alubia Blanca
Midnight Black
Garbanzo
Cranberry
Royal Corona
Christmas Lima

(I am not a fan of Lima beans, but sister says "these are different, try them" so I will)

Now, a box of beans might seem to be a weird gift, but we're both trying to acquire less "stuff" to clutter up our lives and beans are a healthy and (hopefully) yummy goodness. She knows I like cooking with heirlooms and rare varieties, and I'm trying to do more with beans. So it's a great gift for me.

The fact that this company is trying to buy from indigenous farmers and promote genetic diversity in crops is a bonus.

I'm a little surprised how enthused I am about this.

(She's getting a custom-mix of chocolates, mints, nuts, and chocolate-nuts and chocolate-mints from me)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice