TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

TIL that HBO stood for Home Box Office. I'd never really given it any thought and only found out because I'm watching Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray and noticed it mentioned in the copyright notices and stuff. Just watched episode 7- would have seen both 7 and 8 in one sitting but 7 had enough blood and gore in it for one evening.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-07-16 12:00am TIL that HBO stood for Home Box Office. I'd never really given it any thought and only found out because I'm watching Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray and noticed it mentioned in the copyright notices and stuff. Just watched episode 7- would have seen both 7 and 8 in one sitting but 7 had enough blood and gore in it for one evening.
In fairness, "Hot Blood Orgy" would also be valid.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-07-16 12:00am TIL that HBO stood for Home Box Office. I'd never really given it any thought and only found out because I'm watching Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray and noticed it mentioned in the copyright notices and stuff. Just watched episode 7- would have seen both 7 and 8 in one sitting but 7 had enough blood and gore in it for one evening.
Wow... I mean, honestly, how long has it been since they started advertising as the "Home Box Office"? I mean, by the mid-80s they were just another channel: ABC, NBC, CBS, HBO, MTV....
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-07-17 01:17pm
Wow... I mean, honestly, how long has it been since they started advertising as the "Home Box Office"? I mean, by the mid-80s they were just another channel: ABC, NBC, CBS, HBO, MTV....
We don't get it in the UK unless you do it through Sky- doesn't seem like it, but BoB is 20 years old now, I got the box set of it and The Pacific. It certainly drives home the War is Hell trope every episode. You have to enjoy the lighthearted moments, rare as they are. Such as this one:
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

TIL Rob Grant and Doug Naylor wrote the lyrics to an infamous British novelty pop hit. And apparently were part of the writing team for Spitting Image at some point...

[youtube]http://youtu.be/kvKazPkRVjQ[/youtube]
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

TIL the eyes of (at least some) larger spiders are reflective like cat eyes. We have a lot of south-russian tarantula here. Tonight I wondered why there were white-glowing water droplets in the grass when I walked around with my headlamp, given the draught we have.

Investigating closer revealed that it was the reflection of my lamp in spider eyes.

Knowing this, I am now suddenly aware of the hundreds of eyes following my every move when I make my rounds at night....
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

While it was a few days ago now, I saw the end of Band of Brothers and episode nine, holy fucking shit. The scenes where they liberate one of the abandoned concentration camps and just how well they depict how weak and emaciated the survivors actually were (and from the piles of dead bodies they were the lucky ones) sticks with you. They even depict awareness of the issue of refeeding syndrome when they start handing out all the bread they can transport to the camps but their superiors order them to stop, because people who are starving to death need to be built up gradually before they can begin to eat normally again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL there's a valve that controls how much of your exhaust circulates back into your intake manifold and that it's $250-300 just to purchase the part.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Today I learned that ketchup flavoured ice cream exists, among other vile flavourings. And I feel sick now.

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

J wrote: 2022-08-11 12:39pm Today I learned that ketchup flavoured ice cream exists, among other vile flavourings. And I feel sick now.

Apparently, you have to make the ice cream yourself. I could get behind the custard, coco pops and maybe the golden syrup ones though.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL that it doesn't matter how well you cover up the rest of your skin from the sun, if you expose your hands because you're using a camera for any length of time, you will get sunburn.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Talked with my brother today and apparently most Police Cruisers do NOT carry a pioneer kit or even something like a haligan tool

**Edit: didn't put in the not before posting
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

What's a "pioneer kit" or "haligan tool"?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

I know this! The Halligan is one of these. At the event I was at in RAF Shawbury (car show with some planes) just yesterday, the police were there and they had some of their gear on display, including guns for the firearms unit (I was the only one who held the pistol correctly according to the officer). :mrgreen: They had laid out some of the tools for forcing entry (including the classic handheld battering ram), hatchet, and one of them was a Halligan. They use it to help paramedics enter a property where the occupant can't unlock the door to let them in. While it's typically a firefighter tool, at least one of our police units uses it :mrgreen:

TIL that my personality type according to the careers test website is ISTJ, i.e. introverted, sensing, thinking, judging.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

I meant to write this yesterday but I'm including it anyway. TIL that the RAF Typhoon Display Team is a thing, its existence being overshadowed by the world-famous Red Arrows, who of course were performing at the event, compared with the typhoon itself which wasn't.
For the 2022 display season, The Red Arrows are flying a seven aircraft display, due to "2 formation pilots moving to other roles within the RAF". Flypasts are still intended to be performed with nine aircraft, with experienced Red Arrows pilots flying the remaining 2 aircraft.
Due to technical reasons only six aircraft were flying this time and they train for this, so it was two-thirds of the Red Arrows. Normally their displays take up the whole sky making it almost impossible when taking pictures to get all nine aircraft on camera simultaneously but this time with six planes it was easy. Good for the photographers but bad for the audience- with a third of their number missing the display wasn't up to their normal standard.

I also learned that mobile phones have temperature sensors and warn you when it's overheating when taking pictures. The black case for the black phone probably had something to do with it, being Britain you don't think you're going to need to account for sun exposure when you buy a phone case, especially for something normally kept in the pocket. My long-sleeved white shirt kept me cool for the most part, my exposed hands not so much! :lol:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL If you have a tooth going bad, and bite into something the wrong way, it can feel like electric shocks going from the tooth all the way down that side of your neck. Now it's down to a mild throbbing pain.

THANK YOU Batman, for jinxing me by commenting on my good luck.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Now it's MY fault you have terrible dental hygiene?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Today I learned that ketchup flavored ice cream exists somewhere in the world. The Horror... The Horror...

I also learned that the following statement is valid SQL... I feel dirty for checking its validity...
SELECT [SELECT] FROM [FROM] WHERE [WHERE] = 'WHERE' AND [LIKE] like '%like%' AND [AND] not like 'AND' OR [NOT] = 'not' OR [OR] = 'or' OR [=] = '=' OR [NULL] IS NULL
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-08-12 11:24am TIL If you have a tooth going bad, and bite into something the wrong way, it can feel like electric shocks going from the tooth all the way down that side of your neck. Now it's down to a mild throbbing pain.

THANK YOU Batman, for jinxing me by commenting on my good luck.
MyLady, as an intermittent solution to this, you should try Corsodyl or some alternative you can get where you live. It is a very strong mouthwash (not in taste) that makes Listerine seem like fake news. It is based on chlorhexidine glutamate and it will kill almost every bacteria inside your mouth, both bad and good, so not to be used for more than a few days. Clean your teeth with tooth brush, dental floss and tooth picks to make the mouth wash enter everywhere, then flush your mouth with Corsodyl a for a minute.

The long term solution is, of course, a dentist.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-08-12 11:24am TIL If you have a tooth going bad, and bite into something the wrong way, it can feel like electric shocks going from the tooth all the way down that side of your neck. Now it's down to a mild throbbing pain.
Oh, yeah - I had that when I cracked a tooth. I won't say how much it cost me to get it fixed.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-08-12 03:46am What's a "pioneer kit" or "haligan tool"?
Its a bundle : Axe, Shovel, and Mattock
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL: The tooth that's been "going bad" and I'd not taken care of because I didn't have the money to get it pulled/crowned?

IT'S A CROWN. IT'S BEEN A CROWN FOR SO LONG I'D FORGOTTEN IT REPLACED MY REAL TOOTH 15-20 YEARS AGO.
And I only realized it because I bit wrong and some of the enamel came off to reveal metal.
If I'd gone to the dentist when the gap between tooth and gum first appeared, I'd been able to get the crown reset, but I thought it was a Real Tooth and didn't have the Thousand Dollars it'd cost to cap.

FML.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

That's for profit healthcare for you.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL that skin peeling after sunburn can start to happen 11 days after exposure to the sun. I didn't expect to be exposing my hands as much as I did but I ended up taking 900+ pictures! :lol:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

TIL the real reason for why the Red Arrows were flying with 2 fewer aircraft this season:
Red Arrows: Inquiry into ‘toxic’ culture ‘hears claims of bullying and sexual harassment’.