TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Figured we have a go at this and tell what random things you have found out.

Today I learned Alice Cooper is still alive.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by Broomstick »

Today, I learned about a food called konjac, used to made noodles and a type of "rice" that are high in fiber and very low in calories. I have no idea where I, personally, can buy some (I'm thinking Whole Paycheck might be a place to start...) but I am intrigued. It might be a way to help me shed a few pounds I seem to acquired in the past couple years.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Today I learned that, despite what we have often been reassured by our managers, all incoming calls tot he Court are not recorded. Thanks for dropping that one on us guys.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

While chatting with my brother during the drive home, with the topic rambling all over the map of SCA experiences including the LBGTQA household "Clan Blue Feather" and how my brother was inducted in (you're not asked, you start wearing the dark blue feather and they accept your choice) ...

TIL I may have become Aro.
I've always needed a deep romantic connection to someone before sex gets involved. Now, I'm really not wanting a sexual relationship (not that there's anyone I've found interest in), I just want to be HELD. I want CUDDLED. I don't really care if it's male/female, I just have to know and trust them.
So, it looks like I need to add a dark blue feather to the light blue "Ally" ones I've worn with my garb.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Since my husband died I have had no interest in an intimate relationship with someone else, but I miss being held, close contact, and skin contact.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-05-29 05:24am Since my husband died I have had no interest in an intimate relationship with someone else, but I miss being held, close contact, and skin contact.
I'm wondering if that is also part of it, but even before, my relationships were always more Romantic than Sexual. But, who knows. I'll ask other friends who are Blue Feather and get their input.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Today I learned which my Trumpie co-workers prioritize more between voicing opposition to the vaccine and not wanting to wear a mask. Day #1 of optional masks if you've had your shots, on the "honor system," each and every one of them suddenly got fully vaccinated yesterday.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Yesterday I learned that concussions can cause depression as part of the symptoms. Also it can be very immediate.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Agent Sorchus wrote: 2021-05-29 06:37pm Yesterday I learned that concussions can cause depression as part of the symptoms. Also it can be very immediate.
Whelp, I've hit my noggin pretty hard over the years.
_____
Today I learned the company that makes Indiana Jones' whips sells them for over $1100! Seems like it'll be a more expensive cosplay than making stormtrooper armor.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Today I learned that I can't watch Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" and not end up teary eyed. I mean, I've listened to that song many, many times but never saw the video until today.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Enigma wrote: 2021-06-05 08:39pm Today I learned that I can't watch Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" and not end up teary eyed. I mean, I've listened to that song many, many times but never saw the video until today.
Now you understand why NIN says it's Johnny's song now, and won't play it anymore.
The video was filmed just weeks before June Carter-Cash died. Of course, Johnny didn't live much longer.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL:

Spoke to other friends who are LBGTA+. I'm not Aro. I'm DemiSexual. I *HAVE* to have a strong connection with someone before I'm comfortable with having sex with them.
Which makes sense, in retrospect. Nitram and I were online friends for over a year before we met, and even then it was our second meeting before we got sexy.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Enigma wrote: 2021-06-05 08:39pm Today I learned that I can't watch Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" and not end up teary eyed. I mean, I've listened to that song many, many times but never saw the video until today.
Yeah, that was an amazing work of art.

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-05-27 04:05pm Today, I learned about a food called konjac, used to made noodles and a type of "rice" that are high in fiber and very low in calories. I have no idea where I, personally, can buy some (I'm thinking Whole Paycheck might be a place to start...) but I am intrigued. It might be a way to help me shed a few pounds I seem to acquired in the past couple years.
You can get them at any Asian grocery store in the refrigerated noodles section. They come in little plastic tubs filled with water like tofu. My partner buys them because she has the beetus. They’re going to be pricey as hell if they have them at Whole Foods, but they’re pretty cheap at Asian grocery stores.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

The particular konjac noodles I am thinking of are called shirataki.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Today I learned that solicitors are a bunch of total morons. Well, i learn this every day, but today was a spectacular example.

For context, I work in the County Court in Cardiff, we deal with civil and family law matters. Today I was processing incoming emails, and I had some solicitors send me an email saying "We sent you the below email a week ago and we'd appreciate a response within 48 hours please." Yes they actually included the bolded section.

The original email was them saying their client was withdrawing their case. Fair enough. They quoted what they said was a case number, which was not even close to any case number we use in civil or family work. So I email back and say, in polite terms, "erm, this ain't a case number, wtf, check the letter from the Court again and get back to me."

A short while later, they reply "oh no, this is the case number, it was on the claim form we had returned by the Court, we've attached a scan for reference." So I look at the scan. Which is headed in big bold letters "Employment Tribunals," and states "Office Address: Third Floor, Cardiff Magistrates Court, etc" which is on the other side of town. Even included an "email address: blah blah blah" whose only similarity to the email address they've sent it to is that they're both @justice.gov.uk emails, which the entire Ministry of Justice uses.

So I point this out to them. Do I get an apology and a thank-you for correcting their dumb-ass mistake, namely not reading their own damn claim form? No, I get a response saying "Oh, can you forward the email on to them?"

No. No I can't. Do you own damn job. So they called up and asked to speak to my manager, who politely told them to fuck off, and it's not the Court's responsibility to send documents on to the right Court if solicitors cock it up.

Urgh. Fuckwits.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It seems that the mold that grows on my rye bread is different in appearance than the mold that grows on my wheat bread. More greyish-blue than bright green. Huh.

(It's pretty rare any of my homemade bread lasts long enough to mold, but it's been exceptionally hot and humid this week, which is great for mold, and kind of crappy for my appetite so there you go.)

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-06-12 06:44pm It seems that the mold that grows on my rye bread is different in appearance than the mold that grows on my wheat bread. More greyish-blue than bright green. Huh.

(It's pretty rare any of my homemade bread lasts long enough to mold, but it's been exceptionally hot and humid this week, which is great for mold, and kind of crappy for my appetite so there you go.)
Just remember that ERGOT is one of the molds that grows on Rye grains, and isn't affected by the heat of baking.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yep, but ergot is generally black in color, or dark brown. Also affects the seed and not the baked bread.

In any case, while I like mushrooms, bread mold is not the sort of fungus I want to incorporate into my diet regardless of species.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I'm vaguely remembering that mold on bread has something important related to it. Penicillin? That sounds about right. It was either that or something alcoholic but that didn't sound right...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Penicillin is related to bread mold.

And beer and bread are closely related, both utilizing yeast.

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-06-13 04:07pm Penicillin is related to bread mold.

And beer and bread are closely related, both utilizing yeast.
I've heard beer being called "liquid bread". It's a cool fact.

Today, I learned that the old song "Gummihatt" (rubber hat) by Norwegian band Bjelleklang isn't just a fun song about a man loving his rubber hat, but also a song about wearing a condom. That song is more than 25 years old and I heard it first when it was new!
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I just learned from the news you can mix and match covid vaccines and have one of one type and the second of a different.

That seems counter intuitive to me.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-06-22 06:12pm I just learned from the news you can mix and match covid vaccines and have one of one type and the second of a different.

I was told that's probably harmless but who knows how effective it is and that there hasn't been much research done on it.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-06-22 06:12pm I just learned from the news you can mix and match covid vaccines and have one of one type and the second of a different.

Why - the first dose of any vaccine is to get your body to react and produce counteragents to "corona".
The second is to make your body move that "recipe" to long-term storage.

Since all vaccines either have the entire corona virus, or the "significant part" of a corona virus, no surprise tht they are mostly interchangeable...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.